• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

hiking boots in november a good idea?

bluebonnet

Hi,

I've been going back and checking the boots/shoes discussions in the forums, but i couldn't find an answer to a specific question relating to walking the camino frances during mid october-mid november and whether it is a good idea to get boots instead of shoes during that time. I just purchased some waterproof hiking shoes and I think i'll feel pretty comfy in them once worn in, but i'm not sure what to expect as far as snow/ mud in November especially up in galacia. Will I wish I had bought boots considering the elements during this time or will waterproof shoes probably suffice...i still have time to exchange them if it seems likely to be pretty necessary.

I'm from Texas, so dealing with snow is still a bit foreign to me

Thanks for your time and help

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi - whilst the weather isn't predictable these days imho snow is unlikely particularly in early November. I've walked the Camino Frances in November and although it is cold in the evenings there can still be strong sunshine during the day. Unhelpfully it can be an "all weather" month. I've seen plenty of people walking with waterproof shoes - what kind of rain gear are you using? If you are using a waterproof sheel of jacket and trousers you may wish to check that the trousers come down over the top of the shoes so the rainwater doesn't run into them. For this reason I use mid ankle shoe/boots - a hybrid and for the me the best of both worlds. Others prefer boots. Whatever the choice make sure they are lightweight.

Best wishes

John

thanks, well that sounds good. I'm probably just getting a little worried about these things, but I need to take a closer look at the trousers and waterproof jacket sections to get some ideas on specific brands. I guess in general though that waterproof ones that come over the top are the way to go for that time of year.

chad

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This is very much a personal thing, but I'd go for a light pair of breathable gaiters. Make sure they fit properly over your shoes, but if it's wet they'll help keep water and mud out.

Andy

Personally, I like trail shoes, because they dry out each night, even if your feet get wet, while leather boots are generally still cold and wet next morning.

But that's me :D

Ask 10 pilgrims, get 10 answers, all valid, all good to consider.

I was fortunate to be able to thoroughly test my rain gear before departing on the trip (one of the benefits of living in the Pacific Northwest). I found the rain jack plus rain pants arrangement to be entirely too warm for long distance hiking, unless the temperature was below 45 F. So I went instead with a poncho (Sea to Summit) and gaiters (Outdoor Research). These worked very well, I was both dry and well ventilated during the three days of thunderstorms on the walk from Le Puy to Cahors.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have to play chess with my feet. Shoes which give me room in the toes may be loose in the right heel. So something higher than a shoe not only means more support and cover, but it means I can go a half-size up, bulk out with socks etc, and get a bit more heel-grab.

Goretex is okay till it stops working, which, for me, it usually does after lots of dirt and stretching.

Nonetheless, I've bought a Goretex boot, the Asolo Fugitive, for my next stage of the Camino. I may have been better off with lighter Asolo boots with moderate water-repellency, but my next trip may be a very long one, taking in the Via Francigena, and include some camping out.

I've moved from Vasque to Asolo because the heavy rubber reinforcing of my Vasque boots was too unyielding at crucial pressure points.

I really think it's worthwhile trying to go lighter and lower with shoes/boots. If you're a warm weather walker (I'm not), or you're lightly loaded, it's got to be worth a try. Any probs, and you can still buy some Lafuma or Chiruca boots locally, light synthetic ones which don't need much breaking in.

On the subject of rainwear, today I had to walk 16 or more k's through flooding forest to get to my weekend job. I used an expensive Exped daypack poncho which I seldom use. It was not the least bit waterproof when I first bought it, and even after proofing with Nikwax product, it's still not completely waterproof...as I learned the hard way today!

There are some peculiar products for sale out there, so threads like this, even if not conclusive, are well worth reading.

Cheers all

Rob

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, I want to make El Camino from SJPDP (Plus a few days in Portugal and Finisterre) with only one backpack. I am thinking of purchasing the Osprey Aether Plus 60, is it a good option? Or what...
In a quandry about whether to wear my hiking sandals or leather hiking boots on the Camino.
This company has helped people with foot problems for many a long year.. A human story still connects, doesn't it?
Hi all, for anyone interested the macabi skirts are on sale...I have worn these on 3 camino, the Via Francigena, Camino Portugues from Lisbon, and on the Way of St. Francis (in cold and heat 41c)...
Hi everyone I'm really having problems with planning what to pack for my walk from SJPP during mid March. From what I understand the Napolean route will still be closed? And the big headache is...
My daughter is coming with me and wondering if a 2-piece swimsuit is appropriate, or if she needs a 1-piece. Suggestions?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.