• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which Jacket?

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi again, I'm starting the Camino Frances fron SJPD next April, around the 7th / 8th. With the varying weather conditions that people experience at this time of year which Hiking or what type of jacket would you recommend, I have a rain jacket and a poncho, but feel that i should invest in a good quality Jacket?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
should invest in a good quality Jacket?
There's a new product on the market that might interest you: Polartec Alpha. I discovered this just prior to my recent CF camino, and was able to grab one just days before departure. The fleece top (non-hoodie version) weighs only 3.8 oz (less than 100g), and was toasty warm. Not as warm as a puffy, but with a rain jacket on top would be even warmer.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Personally, i take a (insulated) jacket and a rain jacket. For the (insulated) jacket, i like something that stops the wind, breathes well, gives some warmth (but not to much) and also stops the occasional drop of rain. And then it needs to be light.
The one i found that combines those things that i like best is the Atom series from Arcteryx. With the downside that they are quite expensive. There might be options that are cheaper, usually translating into them being heavier.

I don't like down jackets during my hikes due to ther lack of breathability. I don't use fleeces (including Polartec) as a outer layer anymore due to their bad wind resistance. But i would rather take the thinner Atom SL over the LT and carry an extra (very light) fleece than other way round because that gives me more flexibility with a similar weight.

April is the single rainiest month of the year in Spain.

You will either need a poncho that goes all the way to your feet or rain jacket + pants combo. Hood of the poncho might be a mess so think about what kind of hat you would wear underneath.

I personally also recommend waterproof socks if you are going in some very breathable shoes like trail runners.

Last edited:
I have a rain jacket and a poncho, but feel that i should invest in a good quality Jacket?
You need good rain gear, you need insulation for various temperatures, you'll want wind protection, and you need to keep something warm and dry for the evening.. It is best to achieve this with several light layers rather than with a single heavy layer. So, if by "good quality jacket" you mean a heavy one with insulation built in, I would say No. Instead, build a jacket with separate layers to suit conditions each day. You also want to be able to shed layers as conditions change. A merino wool buff and gloves are also very effective and can be removed easily while walking. You will heat up and remove them while going uphill, and perhaps want to put them on again on the way down.

I love a down vest or jacket for the evenings but have almost never worn it while walking. A couple (or 3) of thin layers of merino, under a lightweight rain shell have been fine while walking, with the buff and gloves as needed.

I use rain pants over my walking pants or long johns, to keep my lower body warm, too, in cold or windy weather.

Bottom line: Thin layers of light weight are more versatile.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@Mark Greenwood, I was on the Camino in April 2022. For a jacket, I had a lightweight fleece jacket with a hood.

I also had a Merino under-layer and a light rain jacket. And on the coldest day, I wore those all those layers plus a T-shirt and button shirt over the long-sleeve merino under layer. I also had a lightweight knit hat, buff, and gloves for those cold rainy days. And other days I was just wearing my nylon shorts and a T-shirt, and still was too hot.

I did bring a poncho along, which I used a couple of times when it was raining heavily. By the time I got to Santiago about May 12 I was still glad I had all those layers, but they were enough.

I have a light merino hoody with a 3/4 zip neck. Can be used as an extra layer over or under other shirts. My husband even sleeps in his sometimes when camping or on the Camino because he is bald and his head gets cold. It weighs about 5 ounces. I had a light down coat my first Camino, but mailed it ahead and never wore it because I just used the hoodie with layers. If you take a coat you can always mail it ahead to Santiago if you don't want to carry it.

Hi again, I'm starting the Camino Frances fron SJPD next April, around the 7th / 8th. With the varying weather conditions that people experience at this time of year which Hiking or what type of jacket would you recommend, I have a rain jacket and a poncho, but feel that i should invest in a good quality Jacket?
I have a Patagonia polo-puffy, bright yellow ochre , a #2 weight Goretex Patagonia jacket. Bright safety yellow. I believe it high visibility.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You can cut your pack weight by 200-300 grams (or more) by picking either the rain jacket or the poncho (quick search will show you that there a lot of strong opinions on which to choose).

Personally, I bring a fleece pullover, down vest (rarely use it for anything other than a pillow), and then use my rain jacket as an outer shell if it gets colder or windy. Has worked well for me on cold days, YMMV. I got caught in a cold and windy storm while in the Alps last year and was plenty warm. Good system, but I am seriously considering dropping the rain jacket for an Altus Atmospheric jacket/poncho, which provides a lot more ventilation. That said, the next Camino Frances I will likely start at the beginning of May, so I think the need for a windbreaker system is not as important as in early April.

Layers. Try a rain shell like the OR Helium for wind and rain and a lightweight full zip fleece hoody. You will wear these over a short sleeve or long sleeve t shirt. My guess is for April you will have everything on for the first hour or so…particularly if it’s windy. The Helium is a great lightweight shell.

@Mark Greenwood, I was on the Camino in April 2022. For a jacket, I had a lightweight fleece jacket with a hood.

I also had a Merino under-layer and a light rain jacket. And on the coldest day, I wore those all those layers plus a T-shirt and button shirt over the long-sleeve merino under layer. I also had a lightweight knit hat, buff, and gloves for those cold rainy days. And other days I was just wearing my nylon shorts and a T-shirt, and still was too hot.

I did bring a poncho along, which I used a couple of times when it was raining heavily. By the time I got to Santiago about May 12 I was still glad I had all those layers, but they were enough.
I also was in CF in April -May 2022 & walked in light snow on 3 occasions, and due to the late unexpected cold weather, many albergues no longer had their heating on. I was glad of all my puffies, thermals, beanie, gloves & buff, which I even slept in inside my lightweight sleeping bag. At times during the day I even wore my COVID mask with buff pulled up over as protection from the icy wind. It was an incredibly fun experience.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I also was in CF in April -May 2022 & walked in light snow on 3 occasions, and due to the late unexpected cold weather, many albergues no longer had their heating on. I was glad of all my puffies, thermals, beanie, gloves & buff, which I even slept in inside my lightweight sleeping bag. At times during the day I even wore my COVID mask with buff pulled up over as protection from the icy wind. It was an incredibly fun experience.
Oh, I had a sleeping bag as well as a liner. It was the kind that you could unzip completely to be a rectangular cover, and mostly I used it that way, except for once, when I was in it and freezing and used everything with all my clothes on.

I actually started from Pamplona because there was a snowstorm in early April in the Pyrenees, and I wasn't prepared to walk in the snow. That's probably what you walked in?

Many albergues don't have heat to put on which is why they are often closed during Oct to April.

There's a new product on the market that might interest you: Polartec Alpha. I discovered this just prior to my recent CF camino, and was able to grab one just days before departure. The fleece top (non-hoodie version) weighs only 3.8 oz (less than 100g), and was toasty warm.
Well, you sent me down the Polartec Alpha Direct rabbit hole! I sew, so I am considering buying some of the fabric and making my own.
You linked to the Polartec site, but what is the actual product that you bought? Does it hold up to wear while carrying a pack, or do you need to wear another layer over it?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walked the cf in late April some years ago. Some snow/ ice past the peak then generally ok weather. Suggest good shell, layers to wear under and rain pants. In warm wet weather can wear the rain pants over underwear. Trousers that can be adapted as shorts as well
Easy to buy and missing items.
Best wishes
Mark

I started my first Camino on the CF a week or so earlier than this. My choice was a lined, three-layer Goretex rain jacket and a mid-weight fleece 1/4 zip jumper. I use the same combination walking the St Olav's Way two years later, and it worked very well again. The lined rain jacket gave a useful increase in the insulation it provided, but does come with some additional weight. I have since tried a number of un-lined jackets when walking in Europe later in the year, but always with a three-layer outer shell.

I agree with those that say layers are more important that taking heavier, single purpose, items. That said, I would avoid having lighter rain gear at this time of the year. I tried it once when I started walking in May, and it just didn't work well enough.

Well, you sent me down the Polartec Alpha Direct rabbit hole! I sew, so I am considering buying some of the fabric and making my own.
You linked to the Polartec site, but what is the actual product that you bought? Does it hold up to wear while carrying a pack, or do you need to wear another layer over it?
Here's the pullover I bought from Senchi Designs. It was quite comfortable for the half-hour or so of first-thing-in-the-morning wear that I used it, for a week plus. I wouldn't think you'd need another layer over it as wear protection, but they did provide a mesh bag for use when washing machine/dryer, to prevent snags etc I guess.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I started my first Camino on the CF a week or so earlier than this. My choice was a lined, three-layer Goretex rain jacket and a mid-weight fleece 1/4 zip jumper. I use the same combination walking the St Olav's Way two years later, and it worked very well again. The lined rain jacket gave a useful increase in the insulation it provided, but does come with some additional weight. I have since tried a number of un-lined jackets when walking in Europe later in the year, but always with a three-layer outer shell.

I agree with those that say layers are more important that taking heavier, single purpose, items. That said, I would avoid having lighter rain gear at this time of the year. I tried it once when I started walking in May, and it just didn't work well enough.
You may be right. Going too lightweight on the rain shell in a season where you definitely expect rain may not be the right decision.

I have a rain jacket and a poncho, but feel that i should invest in a good quality Jacket?

my practice, developed over many years to to take four layers.

the outer layer should be rain and windproof and, most preferably, have a breathability factor. in my part of the world this is called a parka and weighs under 200 grams (? 7 or 8 ounces ?)

The other three layers are relatively lightweight merino tops - two short sleeve and one long sleeve - about 130 grams (? 5 ounces) for the shorts and about 180 grams (? 7 ounces) for the long.

For normal weather starts I wear a short sleeve top.

If a bit colder, I put on gloves, but otherwise bare arms.

Nine times out of 10, I have warmed up quite nicely within 20 to 30 minutes. That 10th time may take a little longer. And I get some experience for next time at that temperature.

If especially windy, the combination might be a short sleeve top with parka (with the sleeves pulled up to the elbows) with hood. This keeps the upper body warm and does not overheat the lower arms.

With this combination I would also leave the front of the parka undone, unless especially necessary.

Using various layers means there is a small air buffer between each layer that will help your body to warm up as required.

So, apart from the parka, no special one-off garments. Others above say much the same.

In normal conditions, with one short sleeve merino top worn, the weight carried is about 500 grams

For below the waist I have a rain kilt, with elasticated waist, that weighs about 100 grams.

While I have used the very popular knee length rain coat that also covers the pack, I had too many incidents not managing to put it on in windy weather that I have, reluctantly, put it in my bottom drawer.

Having said all that, I acknowledge we are all different in our needs and experiences.

For example. in normal day-to-day living we look out the window (or watch/listen/read weather reports) and put on what seem best from our wardrobe.

For long distance walking it is not practical to carry the range of stuff in our wardrobe.

I simply recommend you put aside "normal " and experiment with what will work for you to carry for a month of walking.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong)

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.