• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hiking sandals or not?

Celi Anatrella

Time of past OR future Camino
2018, 2019, 2021 and planning… God willing.
When I walked from SJPD to Santiago, somebody suggested I bring a pair of hiking sandals besides my trail runners and my night/shower sandals which I found all 3 pairs super useful since it was the summer and a walk of 30+ days. It was nice to have a pair of sandals that protected your toes that you could use with socks on those long, hot walking days. When I walked two other caminos for only 2 weeks each, I did not bring them. I'm planning another 800 kms -September to early Oct this time, Camino del Norte now. Given the time of year (less hot I presume? Yet 31 walking days approx.), should I bring the hiking sandals or just stick to the trail runners for walking and shower/night sandals for the night. What would you do for shoes in this situation?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
When I walked the Norte I only wore sandals, not shoes. They were open sandals, without toe covering, but that has never been a problem for me - I have never stubbed my toes, not sure why, maybe just the shape of my feet or the shape of the sandals. I do wear sandals a size larger than my normal at home shoes, so maybe the base protrudes a bit past my toes.

On the Norte I started in early spring and the weather was very varied, cold, rain and mud at the start, it then warmed up and the last few legs into Santiago were quite hot. When it was cold I wore breathable waterproof socks under my sandals, and as it got warmer I discarded those.

On the Camino Frances last summer, I used a combination of trail runners and Teva hiking sandals. It was a perfect combination. When I needed more ankle support on certain portions of the trail, the trail runners were supreme. The hiking sandals are perfect for regions like the Meseta - flat and hot. Even when it was 40 C on one day, I used double socks with both (there is no fashion on the Camino!). Not one blister. That is my recipe for success but I am sure there are others

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
When I walked the Norte I only wore sandals, not shoes. They were open sandals, without toe covering, but that has never been a problem for me - I have never stubbed my toes, not sure why, maybe just the shape of my feet or the shape of the sandals. I do wear sandals a size larger than my normal at home shoes, so maybe the base protrudes a bit past my toes.

On the Norte I started in early spring and the weather was very varied, cold, rain and mud at the start, it then warmed up and the last few legs into Santiago were quite hot. When it was cold I wore breathable waterproof socks under my sandals, and as it got warmer I discarded those.
Do you bring any other shoes besides your hiking sandals?

On the Camino Frances last summer, I used a combination of trail runners and Teva hiking sandals. It was a perfect combination. When I needed more ankle support on certain portions of the trail, the trail runners were supreme. The hiking sandals are perfect for regions like the Meseta - flat and hot. Even when it was 40 C on one day, I used double socks with both (there is no fashion on the Camino!). Not one blister. That is my recipe for success but I am sure there are others
I'm with you! When I needed a breather, I used my hiking sandals with socks as well and they came in super handy when the trail runners got wet on a rainy day in the Primitivo. I love my night sandals (shower type, simple and light) cause as much as I love my other two shoes, I wanted my feet to breath at night. We have to baby those a bit as they take us long ways! Did you have anything else for then nights or just your tevas?

I'm with you! When I needed a breather, I used my hiking sandals with socks as well and they came in super handy when the trail runners got wet on a rainy day in the Primitivo. I love my night sandals (shower type, simple and light) cause as much as I love my other two shoes, I wanted my feet to breath at night. We have to baby those a bit as they take us long ways! Did you have anything else for then nights or just your tevas?
I used my Teva sandals for indoor use as well (yes they were always clean)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
About halfway through the del Norte my wife bought Keen sandals and tossed her expensive Lowas. She says the Keen sandals saved that Camino for her and that is all she wears on any Camino now. (me, boots.). We carry Birkenstock foam sandals for albergue and evening wear. Buen Camino

I only pack a pair of open- toe water slippers that I also use in the room/or in the accommodation and when I shower. Otherwise it’s my walking shoes.

It seems to me that you have had experience with and without the sandals,so aren’t you already in the best position to decide it they are worth bringing? That experience should be your best feedback!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm on my fifth Camino and I have bad feet. I bring two pairs of sandals and one pair of trail shoes on each as I like to change footwear every few hours. Have been wearing only my hiking sandals on this trip. Good thing too as one of my Merrell shoes got lost this week. Most people seem to be wearing socks and sandals this week.

Hiking shoes and hiking sandals! My Chaco sandals, with socks, have saved more than one camino for me when I have had small but persistent blisters...I usually end up wearing them for about 1/3 of the time. The Chacos are also the evening shoes. I don't bother with shower sandals.

When I walked from SJPD to Santiago, somebody suggested I bring a pair of hiking sandals besides my trail runners and my night/shower sandals which I found all 3 pairs super useful since it was the summer and a walk of 30+ days. It was nice to have a pair of sandals that protected your toes that you could use with socks on those long, hot walking days. When I walked two other caminos for only 2 weeks each, I did not bring them. I'm planning another 800 kms -September to early Oct this time, Camino del Norte now. Given the time of year (less hot I presume? Yet 31 walking days approx.), should I bring the hiking sandals or just stick to the trail runners for walking and shower/night sandals for the night. What would you do for shoes in this situation?

Now, I’m a Camino virgin (hoping to do the Portugal Coastal or Frances in the next two years), From everything I’ve watched from YouTube, the Altra Olympus with gators for uneven and rocky terrain and I plan on using my bedrock sandals (zero drop, light, much less bulky sandals) to alternate with. I’ll probably throw in my lightweight rope sandals for Albergue and the final mile to Santiago use!

Just my inexperienced 2 cents worth!

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I walk in Source Gobi trekking sandals, no socks, and carry a cheaper pair of sandals as backup. Also carry very light flip flops for shower and around the albergue.

I just completed the Norte (from Irun )about a week ago and walked the entire route in Chacos trekking sandals, with toe socks. I didn't carry any other footwear.

Chacos were great! I met many people in shoes and boots who were struggling with blisters along the way. I only had one blister, between my toes but wasn't painful and I didn't have to pop it.

I wear Teva hiking sandals and bring some lightweight/inexpensive sandals for the albergue. YMMV

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
When I did my first Camino last year I started out with a pair of hiking shoes that did not work out well. By the time I took my first zero day in Burgos, my feet were trashed with painful, raw blisters. I purchased a pair of Quechua hiking sandals in the local Decathlon store, as well as some recommended cushioning inserts, and they literally saved my Camino. The blisters gradually improved from that point on (with some careful daily attention), and by the time I reached Astorga I mailed my original pair of shoes back home. If I do another Camino, I would not consider anything else but another pair of hiking sandals, for the entire journey. My two cents...

Buen Camino!

A lot of people love them.
The one time I tried Tevas, I took them off after 5 minutes because I kept getting tiny stones between my foot and the shoe. Maybe I shuffle my feet. I don't know.

I walked the Norte over 2 (July 19 and September 22) years using Keen closed toe hiking sandals and thickish Sox. This worked for me. My wife used low cut Meindal trail shoes. Worked for her.

In the evenings I used a really lightweight pair of slip on Sketchers. She wore a pair of ecco sandals.

We both has really lightweight cheap sandals for the shower etc.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Are supermercados or other grocery stores open on Sundays on del Norte? Are restaurants open? Specifically, I will likely find myself in these towns on Sundays: Castro-Urdiales, Comillas...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.