• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hiking skirt

angelab

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Frances June (2017)
With only 12 days to go until I leave for SJPdP I bought my trail shoes today! Meindl Respond GTX. Hope they're okay! Felt comfortable. I've read loads on the forum and elsewhere about Macabi skirts. At this late stage it'll cost me over 130GBP to get it to London before I leave. Are there any other great hiking skirts which aren't short? Only one's i've found are way above the knee. Don't want to wear shorts either. Any help? Thanks :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
What about cycling shorts? Buy a nice cool skirt to go with in Pamplona - the Spanish have some classy clothes? They have great dress sense.
Great idea re cool skirt in Pamplona. Wouldn't wear cycling shorts though :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Angela, although there's a lot of talk on the forum about Macabi skirts, very few people actually wear them. With just 12 days to go, I'd suggest that you keep things nice and simple. If you haven't hiked in a skirt before, maybe stick with lightweight trousers or capri-length pants? There are quite a few suitable options in places like Cotswold Outdoors.
Good luck and Buen Camino!

Hi Angela, although there's a lot of talk on the forum about Macabi skirts, very few people actually wear them. With just 12 days to go, I'd suggest that you keep things nice and simple. If you haven't hiked in a skirt before, maybe stick with lightweight trousers or capri-length pants? There are quite a few suitable options in places like Cotswold Outdoors.
Good luck and Buen Camino!
Thanks. I went to Cotswold Outdoors today & didn't find any trousers I liked. Will continue my search.

I love a skirt for long distance walking! I have worn a Royal Robins Discovery Skirt for my last two caminos and just received my new one fin the mail today. (The old one is still in good condition, but I wanted a different color for this year's caminho.) It has UPF 50+, wrinkle resistant, stretch and quick dry properties. Size runs a bit large - I typically wear US size 8, but a 6 (UK 10) is perfect in this skirt. The length for my 5 feet 3.5 inch height is just below the knee. It has 3 pockets.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I actually think walking in a skirt is a lot easier than trousers, for one thing you can choose whether to put on running tights/capris/cycling shorts/wool baselayers underneath depending on the weather, you can wash them separately and the skirt can be used again in the evening with other tights. With tights you also have less worries about chafing and they are easy to replace if needed. I second the Discovery skirt btw!

I love a skirt for long distance walking! I have worn a Royal Robins Discovery Skirt for my last two caminos and just received my new one fin the mail today. (The old one is still in good condition, but I wanted a different color for this year's caminho.) It has UPF 50+, wrinkle resistant, stretch and quick dry properties. Size runs a bit large - I typically wear US size 8, but a 6 (UK 10) is perfect in this skirt. The length for my 5 feet 3.5 inch height is just below the knee. It has 3 pockets.
Is the Discovery an a-line skirt? I've looked on their website and it looks straight. I have a fairly small waist and larger hips/upper thighs - would the Discovery be okay?

Thanks. I went to Cotswold Outdoors today & didn't find any trousers I liked. Will continue my search.
Good luck with the search - I'm a fan of skirts too, but I'm conscious that you haven't much until you leave for your Camino. I hope you get something that you're happy with!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The magic of the Camino forum. I'm buying a Macabi skirt from one of the ladies on the forum :) :) :)
With only 12 days to go until I leave for SJPdP I bought my trail shoes today! Meindl Respond GTX. Hope they're okay! Felt comfortable. I've read loads on the forum and elsewhere about Macabi skirts. At this late stage it'll cost me over 130GBP to get it to London before I leave. Are there any other great hiking skirts which aren't short? Only one's i've found are way above the knee. Don't want to wear shorts either. Any help? Thanks :)
I love the Altheta Everywhere Skort -- they stopped making it, but it is still available from EBAY, etc. It is a traveler/hiker girl's dream. Comes to the knee, lightweight fabric with light, soft short underneath.

...although there's a lot of talk on the forum about Macabi skirts, very few people actually wear them.
Well I always hike in my Macabi skirts and wear them for any travel I do. I own the short and the long. Prefer the long. On my Caminos I was known as "skirt woman"! I probably could have sold Macabi's along the way as people (men too) in the albergues were asking if they could try it on and were asking for the website/order information.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hiking skirts are the way to go. Much better than anything I've ever worn walking.

Is the Discovery an a-line skirt? I've looked on their website and it looks straight. I have a fairly small waist and larger hips/upper thighs - would the Discovery be okay?
Yes, it has an A-line design plus additional flare at the knees and is made of very stretchy fabric. I have never had any problem with long strides, stepping and climbing over obstacles, etc.

The magic of the Camino forum. I'm buying a Macabi skirt from one of the ladies on the forum :) :) :)
Do have a look on google images - there seems to be a whole lot of Ladies with the same idea - dozens of women on the the camino with this said skirt!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Try looking in your local charity shops... I got a lovely long hiking skirt in one, also got many hiking /cycling clothes, including an unused waterproof body belt and a brand new micro-towel. On this very forum someone was selling a macabi skirt - which i missed, but contacted the seller anyway and she sold me another one - result! Like St James your gear can turn up in unexpected places....!

Is there anyone else willing to sell their macabi skirt to me? ( it doesn'nt matter if its used) I would help if you happened to live in Sonoma County California!

Hi, I have just bought a light A line skirt from Marks and Spencers to do my Camino in this year. It is stretchy, cotton, has buttons up the front so you can unbutton it for leaping over rivers, knee length, and has four pockets and two bits on the waist band to hang things from. It comes in about 3 colours. Buen Camino

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi, I have just bought a light A line skirt from Marks and Spencers to do my Camino in this year. It is stretchy, cotton, has buttons up the front so you can unbutton it for leaping over rivers, knee length, and has four pockets and two bits on the waist band to hang things from. It comes in about 3 colours. Buen Camino
Is it lightweight cotton? I'm thinking of how long it'll take to dry.

A skirt on the Camino is so perfect... for warm days walking and evenings in town as others have mentioned. It's also tremendously advantageous when you need to tinkle on the trail! Just remember to have a plastic bag handy to pack out the TP.

Is there anyone else willing to sell their macabi skirt to me? ( it doesn'nt matter if its used) I would help if you happened to live in Sonoma County California!
I'm in Occidental and have the skirt that I wore... not Macabi, just an A-frame black cotton one... you can have it if I can find it but it's nothing special. Message me if you're interested. Have you looked at REI, etc?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm in Occidental and have the skirt that I wore... not Macabi, just an A-frame black cotton one... you can have it if I can find it but it's nothing special. Message me if you're interested. Have you looked at REI, etc?
Thanks for offer. I'm in London & won't get skirt from you in time

I love a skirt for long distance walking! I have worn a Royal Robins Discovery Skirt for my last two caminos and just received my new one fin the mail today. (The old one is still in good condition, but I wanted a different color for this year's caminho.) It has UPF 50+, wrinkle resistant, stretch and quick dry properties.

I have been curious about this because I LOVE skirts and wear leggings underneath all the time in daily life. SO I wondered if people ever walked the Camino in a skirt. I'm happy to hear that it HAS been done. now my questions is what shoes to wear that go best with hiking skirt

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Skirts ... if they have great big pockets, dry quickly and are long they work. Otherwise you will not be protecting your legs from branches along the path, unless you wear leggings, and then that gets hot, and humid in summer. :(

I have been curious about this because I LOVE skirts and wear leggings underneath all the time in daily life. SO I wondered if people ever walked the Camino in a skirt. I'm happy to hear that it HAS been done. now my questions is what shoes to wear that go best with hiking skirt
I saw several women in skirts on the Camino - wearing boots, hiking shoes or trail runners.
I actually walked in dresses I made from lightweight merino wool jersey. They were perfect for my late summer Camino, and when it was cooler I added merino leggings underneath.

Skirts ... if they have great big pockets, dry quickly and are long they work. Otherwise you will not be protecting your legs from branches along the path, unless you wear leggings, and then that gets hot, and humid in summer. :(
I didn't have any more problem with branches wearing a knee length dress than those who were wearing shorts. It really wasn't an issue for me at all.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I didn't have any more problem with branches wearing a knee length dress than those who were wearing shorts. It really wasn't an issue for me at all.
Of course, not any worse than wearing shorts, but just as bad.

I walked in either shorts or a skirt 98% of my Camino and don't remember branches along the way being a problem. I just wanted to be as cool as possible! Regarding footwear... that's a decision that has nothing to do with what's going on above it! Personally, I think that a skirt and hiking boots is adorable but maybe I've been living in northern California too long.

Last edited:
For the Camino, choose the boots or shoes that are best for your feet. It is a long walk, find out what works for you, I don't think skirt or pants makes any difference.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I walked the Primitivo in my Purple Rain skirt which is just above my knees-maybe mid-knee without the pack. Branches weren't a problem. Yeah, I have a few scratches from ducking into the woodline but so what. It was much cooler for me than wearing a long skirt or pants. And much cuter too. I got a lot of compliments on my little teal skirt.

The ones that feel comfortable on your feet, fashion is secondary on the camino. Buen Camino, SY
Agree. It doesn't matter what goes well with a skirt. The only thing of importance is the comfort and suitability of the shoe or boots. Irrelevant. It's not a fashion show. :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've never seen branches across the path? The paths are wide and clear everywhere I've walked.

My experience with a hiking skirt:
Loved it!
Nice video :) Rebequa!
Looks like the LightHeart Skirt is about the same price (or more) than the Macabi, though it might be more fashionable! I love my Macabi skirts and only need one on each 6 week walk, so it saves a lot of space and weight. But if I were on a budget, I'd say just wear anything you have in your closet. No need to break the bank to walk the Camino. You don't need special clothing. Just wear what's in your closet.

I need some input here:
I need to find a skirt I can camino in. I'm aware of Macabi and Lightheart - are there others that hit the sweet spot of knee-length or longer, quick-dry fabric, decent UV/UPF coverage, plus sizing and functional pockets?

In my normal life, I almost always wear a skirt or dress. I'm female, 58, plus-sized and a little modest. I wouldn't just wear leggings or bike shorts without something over them. Skirts that hit mid-thigh are straight out. Pants and shorts generally don't fit right.

I'd prefer something cute or fun but I'll settle for functional.

I'm not really happy with the looks of either Macabi or Lightheart, though I know people either really love or hate them. I've looked at REI & other outdoors/travel clothing sites.

I'm all ears for suggestions or comradery. Thanks in advance.

(I'm planning on starting at Le Puy or SJPP next April, G-d willing. I'll be 59 then. I did a search on Macabi and there were 20 pages of results, which is... a lot. )

Have you looked at Purple Rain adventure skirts? Link here. Definitely functional, but also smart enough to use at home between caminos (I should know, I am wearing mine now).

I had not! And made in Oregon, that's a plus. I will investigate, thank you!
Yes, I actually went to the home of the woman who makes the Purple Rain skirts here in Medford. I didn't end up buying one, because I made myself some merino wool Camino dresses instead.

This skort on Amazon looks promising. If I bought it I would cut out the attached shorts.

I bought a skort (and cut out the shorts) at Fred Meyer that has several pockets. The brand is Marrakesh.

I was just thinking longingly of a wrap skirt I used to have before I saw your message. How did you know?

I will make a test (science, research, whatever :)) purchase when I get paid. TY!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This skort on Amazon looks promising. If I bought it I would cut out the attached shorts.

I bought a skort (and cut out the shorts) at Fred Meyer that has several pockets. The brand is Marrakesh.

You know, it never occurred to me that I could just cut them out! I may need to see what Freddie's has currently.

I'm intrigued by your merino camino dresses. Are they sewn?

TY!

You know, it never occurred to me that I could just cut them out! I may need to see what Freddie's has currently.

I'm intrigued by your merino camino dresses. Are they sewn?

TY!
Yes, I like to sew, and in the summer I live in simple knit dresses, so for me it was a no brainer to make dresses to wear on the Camino. Merino leggings go underneath when it's cool, and when it's warm I wear a pair of very light running shorts underneath for those times when I have to be in a less than lady-like position. 😅 The shorts double as pajama bottoms with a tank top.
I don't worry about pockets, because I carry a cross body bag that holds all of my valuables. It only comes off when I'm in the shower, and I keep it by my side in my sleep sack at night.

I had not! And made in Oregon, that's a plus. I will investigate, thank you!
I love my Purple Rain skirt! I have backpacked multiple times in this skirt, and I am now converted and may never hike in shorts again. I plan to walk the Camino this September, and a new Purple Rain skirt will be my constant companion. Best of luck to you!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I believe Purple Rain will customize their skirts for an additional fee. My (3) PR skirts come down to just above my knee, FYI but I’m on the shorter side.... if I had a preference, for hiking I’d like it a touch longer to cover my knees as they seem to get sunburnt faster than the lower leg.

So I've done some testing. I'm 2XL and probably 5'2. I tried the Rip Skirt and the original and knee-length Macabis.

Rip Skirt: I got one in length 3 (knee length) - on me, it hits mid-calf. It has 2 hip pockets that will hold my iphone mini, but they are not quite deep enough. The skirt has some pleating, and honestly, it looks formal enough that I could (and have) worn it out for a nice dinner. It's pretty stain-resistant, though when my cats track cat litter on it, I can't just sweep it off as I do with the Macabi - I have to actually apply water. It does dry pretty fast (though not as fast as the Macabi). I will probably get a length 2 and see if it's more the length I want, but this one won't be my everyday Camino skirt.

I got knee-length Macabi skirts in XL and XXL. Both fit. I have more pocket real-estate with the XXL, naturally. Oh my gosh, these are homely - both the waist and the way they hang.

I got the original in XXL - XXL only comes in regular length. I trip over it :(. But once it goes to the seamstress, I think it will be the Skirt. I am in love with the pockets, especially that zip pocket. I can fit an iPod mini in either of the hip pockets. The pockets on the knee-length look the same size but won't fit an ipod (and the phone cozy won't fit my iphone). I think the waist looks better, and the hang is much better. Nobody is going to think I'm wearing a fitted skirt and I'm okay with that. Add a belt and the waist appearance is much improved. Okay, I wish it was more fashionable, a girl can wish.

I've trained in the Rip Skirt in the fall and the knee-length Macabis this winter with leggings or slip shorts underneath. I like having my slip shorts or legging be separate from the skirt. Once I get the original hemmed up, I look forward to hitting the streets in it.

Hope this helps anyone who's thinking about wearing a skirt on the Camino.

So I've done some testing. I'm 2XL and probably 5'2. I tried the Rip Skirt and the original and knee-length Macabis.

Rip Skirt: I got one in length 3 (knee length) - on me, it hits mid-calf. It has 2 hip pockets that will hold my iphone mini, but they are not quite deep enough. The skirt has some pleating, and honestly, it looks formal enough that I could (and have) worn it out for a nice dinner. It's pretty stain-resistant, though when my cats track cat litter on it, I can't just sweep it off as I do with the Macabi - I have to actually apply water. It does dry pretty fast (though not as fast as the Macabi). I will probably get a length 2 and see if it's more the length I want, but this one won't be my everyday Camino skirt.

I got knee-length Macabi skirts in XL and XXL. Both fit. I have more pocket real-estate with the XXL, naturally. Oh my gosh, these are homely - both the waist and the way they hang.

I got the original in XXL - XXL only comes in regular length. I trip over it :(. But once it goes to the seamstress, I think it will be the Skirt. I am in love with the pockets, especially that zip pocket. I can fit an iPod mini in either of the hip pockets. The pockets on the knee-length look the same size but won't fit an ipod (and the phone cozy won't fit my iphone). I think the waist looks better, and the hang is much better. Nobody is going to think I'm wearing a fitted skirt and I'm okay with that. Add a belt and the waist appearance is much improved. Okay, I wish it was more fashionable, a girl can wish.

I've trained in the Rip Skirt in the fall and the knee-length Macabis this winter with leggings or slip shorts underneath. I like having my slip shorts or legging be separate from the skirt. Once I get the original hemmed up, I look forward to hitting the streets in it.

Hope this helps anyone who's thinking about wearing a skirt on the Camino.
Are you wearing it with a belt and a shirt tucked in to improve the frump factor?

I have a friend who took a rip skirt and hiked a portion of the Camino in it. She said it’s not so great on windy days, but other than that she seemed to like it.

So in your pack, What are you thinking for bottoms? All skirts? Or one skirt and something else? I’ve got a pair of flare yoga pants (I don’t do athletic leggings anymore…I always feel awkward in them). And I’m going to bring 1 skirt. I want a third piece, and for all of them to do double duty. I can’t decide if I want 2 skirts/1 pants or the reverse. Or maybe a lightweight pair of long shorts if I can find them.

Oh! Bonus with the long macabi…post shower but still damp, you can put it on over your head and not have it touch the wet shower floor. It also is a great option As a rain skirt.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Are you wearing it with a belt and a shirt tucked in to improve the frump factor?
Yes and yes.
So in your pack, What are you thinking for bottoms? All skirts? Or one skirt and something else? I’ve got a pair of flare yoga pants (I don’t do athletic leggings anymore…I always feel awkward in them). And I’m going to bring 1 skirt. I want a third piece, and for all of them to do double duty. I can’t decide if I want 2 skirts/1 pants or the reverse. Or maybe a lightweight pair of long shorts if I can find them.
I'm planning on having one Macabi for walking, a Rip Skirt for evenings or if I have to wash or dry the Macabi, 1 or 2 pair leggings, 2 slip shorts. I feel awkward in leggings too - mine will be under skirts for warmth.

For me, finding pants or shorts that fit well is tough. I hope you can find the shorts you seek!

My plan right now for bottoms are one Macabi long skirt, one pair of Columbia just above the knee shorts, and a pair of merino wool pants (Icebreaker crush pants). I didn’t want leggings because my pants have to be my warmth layer, my pjs if necessary, and to be worn around town. I couldn’t see myself (solidly in middle age one might say) walking around town in leggings. If I had to ditch one thing I’d ditch the shorts. Still might.

My plan right now for bottoms are one Macabi long skirt, one pair of Columbia just above the knee shorts, and a pair of merino wool pants (Icebreaker crush pants). I didn’t want leggings because my pants have to be my warmth layer, my pjs if necessary, and to be worn around town. I couldn’t see myself (solidly in middle age one might say) walking around town in leggings. If I had to ditch one thing I’d ditch the shorts. Still might.
I didn’t even know merino pants are a thing! I’m right with you on the leggings.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Thanks to this thread I learned about the Royal Robbins discovery skirt. I found one on eBay,new, for £7.50. It’s perfect. Thank you camigas!

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.