• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Skirts and wool leggings

AllisonMarie

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2023
Hi all! I am trying to finalize my packing list for my first camino. I will be walking the Frances starting September 21. I am planning on bringing two hiking skirts (one skirt, one kilt maybe) and two pair of merino wool leggings, which I think I could layer on cold days and skip entirely on warm ones. Tops would be two merino t-shirts and two lightweight merino pull over hoodies. Does this sound like a workable approach?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I don't think that you need two pair of leggings and two hoodies. Just bring one if each.

I almost exclusively wear merino wool dresses on the Camino, and I've only ever brought one pair of leggings. On the days that I don't wear the leggings (which is most days) I wear a pair of lightweight running shorts under my dress. There are times when you might want to sit on the ground or climb over something, so the shorts are good to have on underneath. The shorts also double as pajama bottoms which I wear with a camisole that doubles as a bathing suit top. 😊

Hi all! I am trying to finalize my packing list for my first camino. I will be walking the Frances starting September 21. I am planning on bringing two hiking skirts (one skirt, one kilt maybe) and two pair of merino wool leggings, which I think I could layer on cold days and skip entirely on warm ones. Tops would be two merino t-shirts and two lightweight merino pull over hoodies. Does this sound like a workable approach?
What’s your wet-weather option?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Right, was not covering that stuff, just wondering about walking every day in a skirt and leggings as a good option. But since you ask…😃. I am going to use a Packa as a combo pack cover and rain poncho. I also have a lightweight puffy jacket. Wondering whether I should also pack a very lightweight wind breaker or whether that is overkill.

I don't think that you need two pair of leggings and two hoodies. Just bring one if each.

I almost exclusively wear merino wool dresses on the Camino, and I've only ever brought one pair of leggings. On the days that I don't wear the leggings (which is most days) I wear a pair of lightweight running shorts under my dress. There are times when you might want to sit on the ground or climb over something, so the shorts are good to have on underneath. The shorts also double as pajama bottoms which I wear with a camisole that doubles as a bathing suit top. 😊
Thank you, those are great suggestions! You are describing what you’ve needed in September-October?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Right, was not covering that stuff, just wondering about walking every day in a skirt and leggings as a good option. But since you ask…😃. I am going to use a Packa as a combo pack cover and rain poncho. I also have a lightweight puffy jacket. Wondering whether I should also pack a very lightweight wind breaker or whether that is overkill.
It’s overkill.

If you’ve got all your clothes on and you’re still cold, put the Packa on whether it’s raining or not.

On a memorable February morning in Foncebadon I wore every item of clothing I possessed including my spare socks over my gloves. On the positive side - my pack weighed virtually nothing.

Thank you, those are great suggestions! You are describing what you’ve needed in September-October?
I haven't actually walked in October, but I've walked during some cold and wet days in May!

If you find that you need/want a pair of pants you can buy some in Spain.

A follow up question for you - if I only bring one of each what am I changing into after my walk? How did you manage that? I’m picturing usually using the second set of leggings or skirt as my post-walking outfit when I need to wash the other stuff.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
A follow up question for you - if I only bring one of each what am I changing into after my walk? How did you manage that? I’m picturing usually using the second set of leggings or skirt as my post-walking outfit when I need to wash the other stuff.
In warmer seasons I've gotten by with just wearing my dress while I wash/dry my walking clothes.
This year and last year I brought a very lightweight pair of pants that I bought at Old Navy similar to these. There were a few cold days this year that I wore my leggings, the pants, my dress, a long sleeve shirt, and my ultralight down jacket at the same time. I think that it's more practical to bring a light pair of pants than a second set of leggings.

Sometimes with skirt or dress I have taken a pair of tights, and even cut out the toes to make them footless- and they weigh very little

two lightweight merino pull over hoodies.
two pair of merino wool leggings
One of each is plenty.

What’s your wet-weather option?
An Altus and a vest. I run hot so don't generally need the sleeves.

just wondering about walking every day in a skirt and leggings as a good option
For me it works fine. In fact, I Rarely use the leggings unless it's really chilly.

One import thing to check before you go is whether your particular combo of skirt and leggings creates static electricity. If they do it's an endless battle to keep the skirt from creeping up to around your thighs. Very annoying.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you are comfortable walking in a skirt and tights at home, it will be fine on the camino.
If you would like to change into skirt and tights after walking, that's fine too.
I have walked from April until October and worn shorts with a long sleeved shirt (from 3 degrees to over 40). That works for me. Only you can answer what will be comfortable for you.
I am wondering how heavy a kilt might be - do you have a lighter option?

If you are comfortable walking in a skirt and tights at home, it will be fine on the camino.
If you would like to change into skirt and tights after walking, that's fine too.
I have walked from April until October and worn shorts with a long sleeved shirt (from 3 degrees to over 40). That works for me. Only you can answer what will be comfortable for you.
I am wondering how heavy a kilt might be - do you have a lighter option?
It’s only a”kilt” in the sense that It’sa skirt with snaps in case you want to convert it to shorts for sitting or in windy conditions. Thanks!

Agree one skirt (skort with attached shorts) and one leggings, wear one while washing other. Ditch the kilt. I preferred the skort on rainy days, my legs got wet and sometimes splashed with mud, but easier to wash and dry than the leggings.

@AllisonMarie, always great to know other skirt walkers are out there! 🤗
Although it won't help you aprés trail, the combo which works best for me is a skirt &, not leggings, but leg warmers (bless the 80's💃). Very versatile; can also be used on your arms, as padding under your pack, etc. Another advantage; much easier for necessary 'off-piste' callings..! 😉
Like @VNwalking, I'm a hottie 🥵 so something I can get off quickly without having to remove my shoes/boots is a bonus...they just roll on or off.
I almost exclusively wear merino wool dresses on the Camino...
@trecile, how do you find the dresses wear (as in longevity) esp where your pack rubs against it? 🤔
👣🌏

@AllisonMarie, always great to know other skirt walkers are out there! 🤗
Although it won't help you aprés trail, the combo which works best for me is a skirt &, not leggings, but leg warmers (bless the 80's💃). Very versatile; can also be used on your arms, as padding under your pack, etc. Another advantage; much easier for necessary 'off-piste' callings..! 😉
Like @VNwalking, I'm a hottie 🥵 so something I can get off quickly without having to remove my shoes/boots is a bonus...they just roll on or off.

@trecile, how do you find the dresses wear (as in longevity) esp where your pack rubs against it? 🤔
👣🌏
Interesting! I’ll have to think about that one, but I do like the ease of removal angle! Did you use wool?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
What brand of hoodie do you have? I am looking for a lightweight merino hoodie for sun protection and warmth.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Interesting! I’ll have to think about that one, but I do like the ease of removal angle! Did you use wool?
Belonging to a different era, leg warmers can be tricky to source so I'm never fussy about what they're made of...although it's most likely acrylic. I've had my best success at finding them in 'cheapie' stores.
👣🌏

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Too much.
I am walking Vézelay in Sept and October.
1 macabi skirt.
1 shorts.
2 short-sleeved Merino
1 long-sleeved silk singlet to wear under or sleep in. ( swap for merino)
1 silk leggings to wear under or sleep in ( swap for merino)
1 light down jacket.
This is my 21st camino...so gear fine tuned to minimal.

What is the purpose of the skirt/kilt? Why not just shorts for warm days, leggings for cooler days?

I walked in October in a Macabi skirt which I wore daily, on cold mornings with leggings that I took off by 10-11 am, and could use in the evening when it got cold. I had a jumper (US: a sleeveless dress) that I wore at night. 2 shirts (long and short sleeve merino) to trade off. And a fleece sweater. That was it.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Some People get confused between kilts and skirts, both have difference in shape and design. Kilts are traditional clothing made with wool and drill jeans

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yea, this clothing company is definitely playing fast and loose with the term kilt, using it for a version of their skirt that wraps and also can convert to shorts with a snap.

I considered the Packa too, but I was worried about the strength & durability of the fabric, so I opted for a rain jacket. Please let me know how the Packa holds up.

My skort also allows for modesty during nature calls using a GoGirl ( female urinary device). Can wear leggings over short part and easy to remove once warmed up.
My next forum question was going to be to the women about GoGirl, SheWee, etc. LOL

Do a lot of women use them? I have one but I'm on the fence about bringing it.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I considered the Packa too, but I was worried about the strength & durability of the fabric, so I opted for a rain jacket. Please let me know how the Packa holds up.
You should consider an Altus. Much more coverage than a Packa and less expensive too. If you are starting from SJPdP you can reserve one at this shop

Or you can order one from this store

You should consider an Altus. Much more coverage than a Packa and less expensive too. If you are starting from SJPdP you can reserve one at this shop

Thank you, @trecile

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I wore the Makabi skirt - loved it! Its quite long, but can be cinched into a short skirt.

I had the skirt, a pair of convertible pants, a pair of leggings, and a very large scarf I could use as a wrap skirt/pillow case/privacy screen/scarf. This combination worked extremely well for me as I could mix and match pieces to suit just about every weather and laundry situation.

I don't know how fast the merino wool dries. You might dry washing them by hand in a sink and hanging to dry to see if they dry overnight. Assuming they do, you probably only need one pair.

For tops, I found three quick dry t-shirts about right, as well as a fleece (on the norte). I wish I had brought a light weight long sleeve shirt for a few days, but ultimately I was ok without. I'd tend to think on the Frances swapping a long for a short sleeve would be better - but it really depends on the specific weather you encounter.

I also wore slip shorts under the skirt to avoid chaffing - they doubled as pyjama bottoms.

Ultimately what you've described is perfectly reasonable. Only you will discover what works for you as you walk - there is a good chance you will need to make adjustments along the way (I swapped a cotton-blend t-shirt for synthetic for example, and discovered the universe believes I should only have two pairs of underwear after losing the third pair three times)

So, we should still eventually compare notes! When will you be walking? I start in St Jean 9/21.

I start walking from St. Jean on Sept. 1st. My flight back to JFK is Nov. 3rd, so I can take some days to recover when I need to. I'll be going slow. You'll probably catch up to me! LOL

I just use a light down jacket and light Sea to Summit poncho. That's been fine.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I start walking from St. Jean on Sept. 1st. My flight back to JFK is Nov. 3rd, so I can take some days to recover when I need to. I'll be going slow. You'll probably catch up to me! LOL
Aw, dang, I’m sure I won’t! I’ll catch you on our next one though, how bout that? Cuz I haven’t even walked my first one and I’m already sad it’s over and want to plan my second🙄😄

The Altus design totally makes sense. But I worried that it would take up too much space in my pack and heavy?

I requested an Altus from the Pilgrim's shop in St. Jean! This is great! You saved me quite a bit of weight--the rain jacket and DuckBack were heavy.
My experience too. I bought an Altus there and shipped my rain jacket, rain pants and pack cover home. That was 2015 and I haven't had one moment of regret.

Buen camino, @Thyme_Is_Running_Out !

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You will love your Packa! I wore rain jacket and rain pants on my first Camino and hated every second while wearing them. Too hot for me! I wore a Packa on my second Camino and didn't mind the rainy days at all.

You will love your Packa! I wore rain jacket and rain pants on my first Camino and hated every second while wearing them. Too hot for me! I wore a Packa on my second Camino and didn't mind the rainy days at all.
That’s so good to hear, thank you!

This is why I love shorts instead of skirts.
People with fat thighs can’t wear shorts as they ride up. I only wear dresses and skirts but with chub rub preventing undies for my normal clothes. While walking I wear tracksuit style long pants. When it rains I pull the legs up to my knees and they stay dry under my poncho. I am intrigued by the concept of a hiking dress or skirt.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.