• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hint on using headphones while walking (while keeping interactions and for better sleeping)

Paulo Arantes

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances Apr/May 2017
Frances Oct/Nov 2024
I read a discussion about using hedphones on the camino and saw that it got into an argument about is it ok or not.
Just wanted to add an option I used on the camino that helps A LOT on some situations and do not impact as much as the usual headphones.
I like walking while listening to some music. It helps me to focus and relax. And I know the camino is A LOT about interacting with other pilgrims and this is great (have so many friends from the camino, from so many places and for that I am really grateful...)
So I have an option that do not impact on interacting and most of all, helps if you walt to sleep listening to some music and not being disturbed by someone snoring by your side.
Bone conduction headphones are great for both purposes. It does not cover your ears and you can still listen to everything around you. It feels like you have a background music and you're still aware of everything that goes around you. If you play it loud, you'll end up not listening to some noises around you but that is not usually the way I use it.
And about helping you sleep, on my last camino I tried the foam ear plugs but they were kind of disturbing for me because of how much silence I felt using them. So with this bone induction headphones, you can use these foam ear plugs not to listen to snoring or other sounds around you and listen to music with the ear conduction headphones (it gets louder as you are not listening to other sounds because of the earplugs).
Just one hint is you should buy a good bone induction headphone because many brands do not deliver what they promise. If you want my take on brands, please send me a message and I'll give you my opinion and experience with some of them.
So, just wanted to add my wxperience as someone who enjoys music while walking and being aware of my surroundings without missing interaction oportunities.
Hope I was able to help.
Buen camino!!!

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
I read a discussion about using hedphones on the camino and saw that it got into an argument about is it ok or not.
Just wanted to add an option I used on the camino that helps A LOT on some situations and do not impact as much as the usual headphones.
I like walking while listening to some music. It helps me to focus and relax. And I know the camino is A LOT about interacting with other pilgrims and this is great (have so many friends from the camino, from so many places and for that I am really grateful...)
So I have an option that do not impact on interacting and most of all, helps if you walt to sleep listening to some music and not being disturbed by someone snoring by your side.
Bone conduction headphones are great for both purposes. It does not cover your ears and you can still listen to everything around you. It feels like you have a background music and you're still aware of everything that goes around you. If you play it loud, you'll end up not listening to some noises around you but that is not usually the way I use it.
And about helping you sleep, on my last camino I tried the foam ear plugs but they were kind of disturbing for me because of how much silence I felt using them. So with this bone induction headphones, you can use these foam ear plugs not to listen to snoring or other sounds around you and listen to music with the ear conduction headphones (it gets louder as you are not listening to other sounds because of the earplugs).
Just one hint is you should buy a good bone induction headphone because many brands do not deliver what they promise. If you want my take on brands, please send me a message and I'll give you my opinion and experience with some of them.
So, just wanted to add my wxperience as someone who enjoys music while walking and being aware of my surroundings without missing interaction oportunities.
Hope I was able to help.
Buen camino!!!
Good advice. I’ve been using them for years! And yes I do take them on my long walks, including the camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I recently bought a Shokz bone conduction headset, and I love it for walks, but I can't imagine that it would be comfortable for sleeping since I'm a dude sleeper. I use very soft silicone wired earbuds for sleep.

I love my bone conduction headphones. They have changed my life. However, they are not very good while lying down. In a noisy environment, it is necessary to add ear plugs.
I think that the combination of bone conduction headphones and ear plugs will be great on the plane!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Bone induction headphones are great, but I agree with @trecile and @C clearly that they're not the most comfortable option for sleeping.

I am constantly on the lookout for a solution to wearing headphones to help me sleep. I tried one of the Bluetooth headband headphones for sale on Amazon — there are dozens of "brands" with slightly different styles but they're all pretty much the same item — but they were much too tight and uncomfortable on my big head. So I've just settled on the same AirPod Pros that I use for daytime listening and phone calls, with the addition of a silicone keeper strap to keep the headphones from getting lost should they pop out of my ears during the night. (I have a pair of wired foam tip ones like the ones @trecile describes above, but prefer to only pack one pair during my travels for the sake of simplicity.) AirPod Pros also have a "transparency" mode that allow background and ambient sounds to be heard while you're listening to something else, so I'm only completely sound isolated when I want to be.

As a side sleeper, I found that replacing the AirPod silicone tips with third party memory foam ones makes them more comfortable for sleeping. I usually set a sleep timer for my music/sound app so they're not running all night, but even if they deplete a quick top-up while I'm brushing my teeth keeps them powered up for the rest of the day.

(This might also be an opportunity to bring up my long-held belief that sleeping in shared accommodations would be easier and more pleasant for everyone if albergues installed some simple white noise machines to drown out the assorted sounds of sniflling, coughing, snoring, and ... the rest. The "silence" when the lights go out is truly deafening, and every rustle and creak from another bed sounds much louder than it actually is. But maybe that's a subject for another thread :)

I have a bare of bone conducting headphones and love them, I have teeeny tiny ears and earbuds either do not fit or cause excruciating pain. I bought a pair of AirPods last week in hopes they would work for me and they do not, they were sooooo painful. I returned them the next day lol.

Shokz headphones are perfect for me. I can hear other people or bikes coming up behind me. I have custom earplugs for the plane or for sleeping.

I rarely listen to music while walking Camino. I prefer to hear the sounds around me. On days when I was unmotivated or in a mood, I did put on my headphones and listened to music. I did not think it was rude or improper for others to listen to music/books/podcasts while walking. I do think it's rude/improper to dictate what other people choose, with the caveat that no one should be playing music without headphones.

I have a variety of headphones and haven’t decided yet what to take for my Camino in July. As the kids say, first-world “problems.”

I like my bone-conduction headphones when out on a walking trail, as they allow me to hear everything around me. They’re also nice for use at home. I don’t like them at the gym, however, because the atmosphere is so noisy that it drowns out the music, even with the volume turned all the way up. I have never tried using them while sleeping, so I may have to try that before I leave. I think they’d be a good choice for use during the day, just not sure about using for sleep.

My AirPods Pro are great for airplanes, as they are noise-cancelling. They’re also my first choice for phone calls. But honestly, I don’t think they’re all that comfortable.

I also have the headband type from Amazon and those work well for me when sleeping, so I was thinking of taking them for the Camino. I usually pack them for travel as they’re lightweight, comfortable, and not too expensive.

Or … I might do the simplest thing and take corded earbuds that don’t need to be charged :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
… I might do the simplest thing and take corded earbuds that don’t need to be charged
That's what I use for sleeping. I find these inexpensive soft silicone earbuds to be very comfortable.
The only issue is that my phone, like most of the newer phones doesn't have a headphone jack, so I need to use an adapter. I have ordered some earbuds that use the USB C port.

I don't take my Shokz headphones on the Camino, since I wouldn't really use them much and they're another somewhat expensive item to keep track of. I do take some inexpensive earbuds for calling accommodation ahead, as I hate trying to talk on the phone without them. They are good enough for the occasions when I have need for inspiring music to help me on the final stretches.

Hope I was able to help.
Buen camino!!!
As a newbie on the forum I’d like to know more about bone conduction headphones but I can’t figure out how to send a personal message

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...
Seems to be a lot of people posting about stuff they lost on the Camino recently. I managed to leave a nice new-ish polo shirt somewhere drying and didn't notice for over a week. I hope someone...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back