• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Listening to Music/Audiobooks/Podcasts while making the pilgrimage?

campfire

New'ish Member
Time of past OR future Camino
April-May 2024
As I plan for my very first pilgrimage in 3 months, I’ve started to consider the few things that will come down to preference vs. necessity. One of those things is whether I should listen to music/audiobooks/podcasts while on the pilgrimage. I’d love to hear from some of you who have pilgrimed already to get your thoughts on this if you feel like you made a decision about this yourself? Did you not and should have? Did you not and are glad you didn’t? Did you and wish you hadn’t? Did you and are glad you did?

Distraction from the pilgrimage? Enhancing to it?

Thoughts?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
When I walked with my son (15-16 years old) we made a conscious decision not to listen to any music or audio books or podcasts when walking on the Camino so we could hear the birdsong and sounds of the Camino and we stuck through it all the way to Santiago. On the first day walking from Santiago to Finisterre there came a point when he was really flagging, tired and grumpy. I suggested he listened to some music and it really turned his day around, giving him a new burst of energy. I regretted nit making the suggestion earlier in the Camino.

I brought music for myself on my subsequent Caminos but I don't know if I used it. I didn't need it so much. I may have listened to some podcasts on the more monotonous and quiet parts.

On my next Camino I expect I will listen to some Spanish comprehensible input while walking at times, to help improve my Spanish.

So ALL day I listen to music (if I'm not talking to someone). I like the "workout playlists". It's actually the only time in my life I listen to what I think is contemporary music. Funny thing is, one time in 2016 I came back from the camino and talked about this "new song" that was well done to my coworkers. It was "Low" by Flo rida. They looked at me and laughed and told me the song was 10 years old. I still love that song.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Being able to hear cyclists coming up on you from behind is a survival thing.
Yes, I walk with one earbud in. I'm considering bone conduction headphones that don't block your ears after walking with a couple of young women who had them last year. I think that @C clearly has this type.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
On my first Camino I listened to music quite a bit.
But it was music that 'complimented' my walking rather than a distraction.

On my last Camino I didn't listen to anything at all, for 60 days.
I preferred that.
There was so much to occupy my attention.
Thoughts, Animals, views, flowers, trees, rocks, the sound of the wind, the birds......
Not many people, some days none at all, so it was nice. ;)

As I plan for my very first pilgrimage in 3 months, I’ve started to consider the few things that will come down to preference vs. necessity. One of those things is whether I should listen to music/audiobooks/podcasts while on the pilgrimage. I’d love to hear from some of you who have pilgrimed already to get your thoughts on this if you feel like you made a decision about this yourself? Did you not and should have? Did you not and are glad you didn’t? Did you and wish you hadn’t? Did you and are glad you did?

Thoughts?
Great question..I had a couple playlists that I listened to BUT as I met others along the way I created a new playlist asking them if they had a favorite song or a Camino song they preferred. I ended up with a 30 song playlist that I listen to now that I’m home that brings back fond memories of my Camino that I finished in October. if you love music I would encourage you to consider it part of your walk. Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Thoughts?
I didn't want the distraction. My thoughts, observations, experiences and surroundings kept me entertained. The camino was great for unplugging and escaping all the noise.

Thoughts?
I suspect you´ll be answering that question yourself after a week or so. Most of the stuff you mention would be on your smartphone so all you need is headphones which weigh almost nothing. My guess is that you will not bother. I always take headphones but hardly ever use them.

I'm considering bone conduction headphones that don't block your ears... I think that @C clearly has this type.
Yes they have changed my life, at home, for listening to books and podcasts while training walking, gardening, housework. I rarely listen to music when on the Camino, but do so occasionally and in some situations, the music is a real pick-me-up.

I haven't taken them on the Camino, yet, because it's one more thing to take care of, and they are not cheap like ear buds.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Mostly I don't , but I always bring earphones, and they will get used if I am having a tough day for a while- I have a hiking playlist which is a very eclectic mix of upbeat and odd things that just make me laugh or smile. But I bring older wired earphones with an USB converter lead as it's one less "tech" item to worry about or to charge. They are also nice on journeys and from the camino! While I have been on less travelled caminos recently I did like a distraction of reading or music as it could get lonely- not such an issue on the CF in season, but maybe good to soothe the soul when the crowds are overwhelming with some quieter music.

I tend to only use one earphone when walking for safety and awareness reasons- I saw one pilgrim so wrapped up in listen he failed to hear and notice a large jeep coming up behind him on a track until it beeped its horn and he jumped 2 feet in the air in shock. That was funny! - But in other cases such unawareness could be more problematic.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My own personal "rule" for my caminos that I really need quiet and presence in the mornings (also a very large coffee). I love just listening to the day get started, hearing my shoes crunch on the earth, cows moo, figure out what kind of bird is chirping, look at the clouds.

It's usually after lunch when I pop in my headphones to listen to my camino playlist or a podcast. I find music really changes my mood for the better, puts a pep on my step and gets me through the final stretch. And depending on the podcast, helps deepen my reflection (I loved On Being podcast for this reason). Listening to my playlists off-camino brings back good memories.

This year, I had an older man tell me "you shouldn't be listening to anything whilst walking!", which I found arrogant and condescending, especially since I'm a grown woman who wasn't asking his opinion. He didn't seem like the type to care ;)

Last edited:
This year, I had an older man tell me "you shouldn't be listening to anything whilst walking!", which I found arrogant and condescending, especially since I'm a grown woman who wasn't asking his opinion. He didn't seem like the type to care ;)
Funny, isn't it, how annoying it is when someone tries to shove their opinion down our throats - even if we agree. Under those circumstances I would have really wanted to tell him off.

Funny, isn't it, how annoying it is when someone tries to shove their opinion down our throats - even if we agree. Under those circumstances I would have really wanted to tell him off.

I sort of laughed in his face and shook my head, but...I had the feeling if I had told him off, he would have thought me "hysterical" or "too emotional". :rolleyes:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@campfire , to take music etc or not - that's an excellent question. And as you will see from the responses, like so many Camino questions the 'correct' answer is down to the individual concerned. Or in another words, something that only you can answer.

Does it distract from or enhance the Camino? Well, for me personally:
Personally, I like to 'be present" and listen to the birds, the wind, the water, the people, the church bells, etc.
Ditto . 95% of the time. Occasionally - if I'm really struggling, or simply want some mental 'time out', a little distraction can be welcome. Then I pull out my chepo earphones and my (Spotify) Mighty (19gm) and play something.
Being able to hear cyclists coming up on you from behind is a survival thing.
Yes. For them. I'm the one with the trekking poles.

Like if no one is watching, you can do dances with your trekking poles.

And yes people caught me doing exactly this.....
Heck of an icebreaker! They thought I must have run into a swarm of bees or wasps.

Well, to be fair, it's not every day you come across a 60 year old bloke wearing a backpack dancing like a dervish with his trekking poles in the middle of nowhere is it.....

I always carry a pair of earphones but never seem to get around to using them. I wouldn't use them while walking in any case. Sometimes when I feel the need to pick up my pace a little I will quietly whistle or hum a tune. Most often march music but other styles sometimes come to mind.

Each to their own.
I'd suggest you get bone conducting headphones for use while you walk. They'll enable to be aware of what is going on around you.
The number of people I caught with while cycling who nearly have a heart attack when they finally realise I'm 1m behind them - despite ringing the bell and shouting warnings- is so large it's not funny.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I hardly ever listen to music when walking a Camino, but I vividly remember one occasion, setting out on the Meseta one misty morning, no other pilgrims in sight, listening to Bach cantatas when suddenly the sun came through. The sight and the sound were so majestic, I felt completely overwhelmed with joy.

Thoughts?
Everyone has their own approach to walking the Camino. I felt like listening to anything other than the ambient sounds of the world around me would detract from my experience. I enjoyed the sounds of the path beneath my feet, the sounds of the villages,the animals, the wind, etc. I wasn't even bothered much by the road noise, especially when I was on the road.
The other thing for me was that I didn't want to be distracted by anything other than where I was. I guess, being present is the catch phrase.
The only time I wanted to be distracted was in some albergues where everyone, including myself was snoring.
Buen Camino!

I don’t listen while walking for all the reasons others have given and certainly don’t mind others listening UNLESS they’re one of the few people who think others want to hear their loud music too. Strangely, it’s often classical music they choose

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
One of my most memorable experiences on The Camino was a volunteer albergue manager in Tosantos sharing with me that I was getting blisters on my feet because I was not listening to messages from God while I walked because I was being distracted by listening to music on my Ipod.
The quick backstory: I was trekking for several miles on CF on a drizzly day and then the rain started to intensify followed by thunderous lightning every few minutes. I soon became scared of being struck by a lightning bolt and I made my way to the next closest town I could which was Tosantos. When I arrived at the only open albergue to check in, I was soaking wet, I couldn't find my credential, nor my money, my headset was dangling out of one ear, and I shared with the albergue manager I had developed a blister on my foot; basically, I came across to him as a flustered hot mess because I was a flustered hot mess! The very kind albergue manager told me to shower, come back downstairs and he would help me with my blister. I followed his directions, and as he gently tended to my blister, he told me he had walked the Camino over 20 times. He then said, "I think I know why you are getting blisters. You are listening to your phone and you are not listening to the messages God is sending you while you walk." It seemed a bit trippy to me while he was saying this to me (and frankly that whole day was very trippy to me) but I thought, okay, I will follow his guidance. I never listened to my ipod again while walking and as he stated, I then begain to receive the most briliant messages from God. I remember journaling about it and sharing these incredible insights I was receiving with my family and friends.

Oh, and i don't recall getting blisters again, either!

Last edited:
I am happy to walk without music and would have found it a distraction. Having said that I like the idea of listening to podcasts and will give that a go this summer. As someone else said I also fail to understand why some people think it is acceptable to share their own music (heard pop rather than classical).

Thoughts?
No earbuds. No music. No books or podcasts. Just be in the moment and listen. Listen. Listen to the bird song, the wind, the rustle of the trees, the voices of other pilgrims. Listen to the peace, silence. Listen to your own thoughts. That’s how I have walked the Camino Frances twice. It’s glorious. It’s never boring. On my return I gave up listening to music when I ran, and feel better for that too. Enjoy! Be in the moment. Every moment. Buen Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I do not use listening devices, but I sing - mostly in my head, sometimes aloud, when I think I am alone, and wave my poles about. Singing cheers me up, gives rhythm to my walk and propels me along beautifully. And you can “march” on any music, on marches obviously, but even on valses. That is when you are inclined to wave your poles about…..

Do what will make your Camino the best experience for you. There is no right answer to this question.
On my first Camino I listened to sacred music and spiritual well-being talks and an audio Spanish course. I learnt a lot.
Second Camino was with a friend. When walking alone I sang a lot of made-up rhythmic songs and again listened spiritual music.
Third Camino I listened to some spiritual music and mainly audio books.
Fourth Camino - who knows. I’d like to try walking with no audio help ….
I tend to stop and sit a lot - that’s when I have still quiet time.

Great question..I had a couple playlists that I listened to BUT as I met others along the way I created a new playlist asking them if they had a favorite song or a Camino song they preferred. I ended up with a 30 song playlist that I listen to now that I’m home that brings back fond memories of my Camino that I finished in October. if you love music I would encourage you to consider it part of your walk. Buen Camino!
Thanks! Would love you to share that playlist! Spotify? Or something?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
When I was planning my first Camino, I put together an amazing setlist to listen to while I walked. It was stellar (for me)! I walked the CF from SJPDP to Santiago, then on to Finesterre and then Muxia. And I never, not once, listened to the music I'd prepared. Being present for the experience, for me, resulted in never popping those earbuds in... I listened to the birds, the wind, chatted with other pilgrims, walked in silence. I wouldn't change a thing. All that said, I also learned very early on that "everyone has their own Camino" and I encountered plenty of others who listened to music while they walked. My blessings to them... and to you, whatever you decide. Buen Comino!

I am a runner and use wireless headphones for safety purposes. Took them with me on the Frances this Fall and never used. It was so enjoyable to hear the sounds around me and to take them in that I never gave a thought to listening to music, a book, or podcast.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Thoughts?
I did have a playlist of my favorite tune , but used it to put me to sleep in the albergue. While walking I talked with other pilgrims or just dreamed about the history of that stage.

Thoughts?
From memory John Brierly suggested in his books on the Camino not to take any electronic items that will detract from the experience
He makes the point it’s an “inner” journey as well as an “outer” one.
My only electronic device is a smart phone to make bookings, take photos and check emails daily. Not obsessively

My first CF some years back gave me several peak experiences

One was to become aware of the dialogue in my mind that was constant. Almost contests at times to dominate my moods and actions. Came to see it was a contest between positive and negative thoughts.
Once recognised I could focus on the positive and tell the negative to leave me alone. Helps when leg and feet tired.

The other was the delayed awareness of the impact on me and my psyche of walking for days through fields and forests. It’s slow. I think I unwittingly absorbed some of what many call echo therapy.

Don’t think I could have experienced either if I was listening to headphones or similar

Others may do so, but there is so much to offer at the subconscious level that is difficult to access if the conscious is fully occupied with other than walking, looking and listening

A big topic.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Thoughts?
I won't add to the conflicting advice you will get in response to your post.
Just to say that everyone is different ( Vive la difference!)
It's like asking people what your favourite colour should be . . .
(Definitely blue, by the way . . . 🤣)
Have a great Camino 😀

Silence is God's first language. If you are here to seek God's voice, you gotta stop drowning your mind in media and music and noise and news.
The pilgrimage is a prime opportunity to Simplify. Quiet your mind. Step into silence. If you feel called to make the Camino pilgrimage, your spirit is likely crying out for some quiet time!
It's not easy at first, but it's amazing once you get into it. It's downright addictive.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.