• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Historic way on the Norte from La Caridad

Dilbin

Time of past OR future Camino
Irun to Santander del Norte
Hi. The historic way from La Caradid or Tapia de Casariego to Vegadeo is little known. However it is perfectly waymarked and offers the Pilgrim a host of the coolest Alberques I have yet experienced on the Camino. Our favourite 3 days west of Santander. Come on Pilgrims. Lets bring back a bit of history to Del Norte

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi. The historic way from La Caradid or Tapia de Casariego to Vegadeo is little known. However it is perfectly waymarked and offers the Pilgrim a host of the coolest Alberques I have yet experienced on the Camino. Our favourite 3 days west of Santander. Come on Pilgrims. Lets bring back a bit of history to Del Norte

Could you give a little more information - how this is a variant, which are the albergues that attracted you and any other details that you believe might be of value in planning walking on the Norte.

Many thanks and Bo Camino

Hi. Basically 32yrs ago the bridge to Ribadeo was built. Prior to this very few pilgrims could get across the river unless they had good finance to afford a boat.(also very dangerous) The historic way through Vegadeo was forgotten but now has been restored. We left the Camino ourselves from Tapia de casariego and travelled throughTol. Shortly after you will be given the choice and we went to Vegadeo. The alberque in Vegadeo and then in A Trapa were truly wonderful experiences. The 3 days walking before you reach Monodoneo are breathtaking and very few pilgrims choose this route. If anybody were to ask me about Del Norte those 3 days could sum up my experience.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
I should also point out that the historic way has fantastic waymarking. Remember also that you will enter Galica on the second day and most of the shells are in reverse. That is the same regardless of how you enter Galicia but fortunately each shell has an arrow so you wont get lost

Hi. Basically 32yrs ago the bridge to Ribadeo was built. Prior to this very few pilgrims could get across the river unless they had good finance to afford a boat.(also very dangerous) The historic way through Vegadeo was forgotten but now has been restored. We left the Camino ourselves from Tapia de casariego and travelled throughTol. Shortly after you will be given the choice and we went to Vegadeo. The alberque in Vegadeo and then in A Trapa were truly wonderful experiences. The 3 days walking before you reach Monodoneo are breathtaking and very few pilgrims choose this route. If anybody were to ask me about Del Norte those 3 days could sum up my experience.
How long has there been an albergue in Vegadeo. I walked through in 2017 under the impression there was no albergue. Also, do you mean the donativo at A Traba?. I walked from La Caridad to Al Traba because there were no albergues open in between. There was a private albergue but it was shut. If anyone goes this way, it might be advisable plan your accomodation beforehand. On the bright side, one of the best Menu del Dias I have ever eaten was in a gastropub leaving Vegadeo. Don't eat and drink too much though as there is a long climb out of Vegadeo.

How long has there been an albergue in Vegadeo. I walked through in 2017 under the impression there was no albergue. Also, do you mean the donativo at A Traba?. I walked from La Caridad to Al Traba because there were no albergues open in between. There was a private albergue but it was shut. If anyone goes this way, it might be advisable plan your accomodation beforehand. On the bright side, one of the best Menu del Dias I have ever eaten was in a gastropub leaving Vegadeo. Don't eat and drink too much though as there is a long climb out of Vegadeo.
Correction: A Trapa

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Thanks a lot for your response !

It's really good to hear about this. I was struggling to find this information last year. I was thinking of picking up my camino around there for the final stage. I thought of getting off the train at Tol and trying to pick up this route but in the end left from Ribadeo instead. Good to know it exists, there is an albergue and it's well way marked

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It's really good to hear about this. I was struggling to find this information last year. I was thinking of picking up my camino around there for the final stage. I thought of getting off the train at Tol and trying to pick up this route but in the end left from Ribadeo instead. Good to know it exists, there is an albergue and it's well way marked
Hello again. If you look up etapa La Caridad to Vegadeo on Gronze they give a list of hostels/ albergues(all open) on the historic route. It was so cool after 3 days to return to Del norte and meet all our friends again who had continued through Ribadeo and share our adventures.

I completely agree . We have just walked the historic route and it was really great. Very well waymarked, bars/restaurants along the way just where you need them and spectacular scenery along the ria and into the mountains. The albergues at Vegadeo and La Trapa were fabulous with wonderful Hospitaleros and excellent food. Local people were really friendly and helpful. We didn't see any pilgrims until we joined the main route again at Mondonedo. An unforgettable 3 days.

I completely agree . We have just walked the historic route and it was really great. Very well waymarked, bars/restaurants along the way just where you need them and spectacular scenery along the ria and into the mountains. The albergues at Vegadeo and La Trapa were fabulous with wonderful Hospitaleros and excellent food. Local people were really friendly and helpful. We didn't see any pilgrims until we joined the main route again at Mondonedo. An unforgettable 3 days.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi if I wanted to do the Del Norte and had 2 weeks any recommendations (would be much appreciated ) and which part of the Norte would be less challenging. Marianne
Hi. I only have 7 days and will be walking from Irun to Bilboa end of April, first week of May. Aside from booking ahead in San Sebastián and Bilbao, do I need to book in advance or will I have...
Hello, I am brand new to the Camino and am planning to hike the Norte and Primitive routes starting mid-May, 2024. I think I have access to most of the resources I need except I don't seem to be...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.