Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Holy Mass on the Primitivo

brothersamuel

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2007, Primitivo 2023, ??? 2024
Hola to fellow pilgrims.
A quick question - with my son we are flying to Spain next week to start our Camino - so far it looks like starting in Villaviciosa (if we can reasonably get there in the late afternoon after arriving at the Asturias airport) and walking to Oviedo, and then following the Primitivo.
My question is - how common it is on this route to find "functioning" parishes/monasteries and have a chance to attend Mass?
When I have walked the C.Francés in `07 we've frequently "stumbled" upon Holy Mass in the evenings or even during the day sometimes - is it similar on the Primitivo?
There is of course also the question of Sundays - in my (rather sketchy) planning it seems that first Sunday of our Camino will be spent somewhere between Salas and Campiello - I presume that area is still populated enough to find a Sunday Mass there - and for the next I am thinking about taking the cut to Norte and visiting Sobrado (since I am a bit of a cistercian architecture connoisseur or nut - as you can see on my website...

Is there any easy way to find Mass times in these parts of Spain - like an overview website or something?

Thank you.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
To help with your planning here is a Google Map of Parishes/Churches along the camino where you might attend mass.

Do indeed visit Sobrado dos Monxes.

In March 2007 I detoured to Sobrado from the Camino Frances at Arzua; the round trip walk was roughly 50 km. Stayed at the pilgrim albergue within the Cistercian/Trappist complex. When the porter saw my American passport he delightedly (and silently) pointed to several library shelves filled with the works of Thomas Merton, the American Trappist.

This monastery complex is a Baroque masterpiece; in the afternoon I wandered through the many structures in awe. No other pilgrims were about.

Alone I attended Vespers. The evening service was held in a splendid circular contemporary space. Walls were either painted white or natural wood. All was lit by thick, sputtering candles. The monks wearing their white robes responded in unison.

It was a true privilege to share such a timeless ambiance.

Last edited:
There is at least one church in every town or village on the Primitivo. I went in Grado.
If you understand spanish, you can find masses on this website: https://misas.org/
The cut from Primitivo to Sobrado dos Monxes can be found in Lugo, it is named Camino Verde.
Take care than in Friol I just find one accomodation (https://www.turismo.gal/recurso/-/detalle/32219/casa-benigno?langId=fr_FR).
In Sobrado, all pilgrims can attend vesper. For other offices you have to register before.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you understand spanish, you can find masses on this website: https://misas.org/
Thank you, that is exactly what I have been looking for - to help with the little bit of planning that I have time to do. I don't speak Spanish, but I know Latin well enough (and speak somewhat Italian) so I understand written Spanish without problems. With spoken language it is a little more complicated :)

Alone I attended Vespers. The evening service was held in a splendid circular contemporary space. Walls were either painted white or natural wood. All was lit by thick, sputtering candles. The monks wearing their white robes responded in unison.

It was a true privilege to share such a timeless ambiance.

I will surely be interested to attend all the Hours possible. I live very close to a Cistercian monastery myself so I am somewhat used to attending often - and being a lay oblate also comes with a regular habit of daily prayer... :)

As I recall, I was in Salas on Sunday, but the only Mass was either at 1100 (bulletin board) or at 1200 ( locals). I couldn't wait that long. Masstimes.org is no help, but I'll try the Spanish link above.

Unlike the CF, I haven't found an evening Mass yet, but albergue chores and tiredness have kept me from looking hard.

Just used the Spanish website, and the closest Mass today is in Grandes de Salime. Unfortunately, I'm in Berducedo

I last walked the Primitivo in 2017, and found that almost every town's church had an evening Mass in the evening at 7:00 or 7:30, ending just in time to have a nice glass of wine and tapas. The Mass times were usually posted.

Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
And just because I suspected this....you'll need to be staying in specific places. Tonight, Wed, there are many Masses between 1700 and 2000...but the closest to me is 16km away (I'm now in Embalse de Salime, and it's in Santa Eulalia.)

With due respect to experiences prior to Covid and not on the Frances, plan well would be my suggestion.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back