• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Holy Year 2010 - will it affect the Northern Route?

joellen77

Hello,

Whoops! I posted this at first with the wrong Camino in the title! Anyway, I walked the Camino Frances in 2003 and 2007 and now want to try a different route in May 2010. Am thinking either Northern or Via de La Plata. . .but then I realized 2010 is a Holy Year. I know the Camino Frances is expecting record numbers of people. . .do you think it will affect the other trails?

Any insight would be great. Thank you so much.

Quick side note: after walking the Camino frances for the first time in 2003, I went to San Sebastian to relax and "recover"for a week before heading home. One day while out wandering around I saw a yellow arrow!! I followed it without even thinking, and several hours later found myself outside the city on top of a hill. It was so beautiful. Ever since then I have thought about walking the northern trail. . .

Cheers,
JoEllen

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
If it isn't important for you to actually reach Santiago, you could walk one of the routes in France which probably won't be as busy as the routes in Spain. I walked from Paris in the 2004 Holy Year and we only saw three other pilgrims - cyclists - until we reached Ostabat in the south.

Hallo Joellen, Holy year will definitely affect ALL caminos. If you don't like crowds then the Holy Year is possibly not a good idea. We walked the norte in may 2008 and there was a reasonable flow of pilgrims, not too much, but enough to fill up refugios most of the times ( refugios are not abundant like on Camino Frances and typically with 10/20 beds each)
Same thingh apply to VDP that we walked a few years ago. To avoid peak crowds you should probably consider an early start , would say mid april for norte and end of march for VDP or, as you've read on previous post, consider other options
-Chemin de vezelay in France, certainly the less crowded of them all, that we walked last may
-Camino de Levante, just beginning to attract a few pilgrims...
Anything else you need, just ask
Giorgio

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank you both for your advice and replies. I briefly thought about walking in France, and I know it is very very beautiful, but honestly the only thing holding me back is my lack of French. I speak Spanish pretty well and I enjoy talking to the people I meet along the way. I am afraid my lack of French would isolate me :(

I have perhaps a dumb question, but on the Holy Years is it crowded the whole year or just in the summer months?

Thank you again -- I have a lot to think about and consider.

Buen Camino,
JoEllen

The increase in recent years on the Caminos del Norte, Portugues, and Via de la Plata has been about 20-25% compared to an increase of about 10% on the Camino Frances. Like guessing the weather, guesses about 2010 are just guesses...

Greetings to everyone well getting bored and so would like to plan another Camino for next year but not decide which one..any suggestion to where best volunteer I know Rabunal is all booked..let me know.
n.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.