• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hoping to do my first Camino in September

tadgh78

Time of past OR future Camino
Spanish
Hello from Ireland!

As the title says I’m hoping to do my first Camino this September (assuming the current emergency has abated by then).

I’d be traveling with a friend who is keen to improve his Spanish (mine is non-existent). He’d like to be immersed in the language as much as possible. I was wondering if there is any difference between the various Caminos in terms of the amount of Spanish you would find yourself using or needing?

We were thinking of doing either the Camino Frances or the Via de la Plata.

Any thoughts on which path would be the best for immersion in Spanish (or is there much of a difference)?

Thanks,

Tadgh

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Tadgh
I believe the Via de la Plata is the one where you would use more Spanish. We finished that one last year, and while in the bigger towns there was still quite a bit of English spoken and understood, in a lot of the villages just a bit of Spanish we found very helpful. We never walked the Frances though, so can't give an opinion on that. I presume as that is a much more frequented route, there is a bigger chance of English being understood and spoken.
(The other thing we found is as soon as a lot people hear your native tongue is English, they want to practise their English on you) As soon as you do try to speak Spanish, or they realise your Spanish is quite passable as perhaps in your friend's case, they are very delighted!
Not sure you're going to need it this year though. We are meant to return to Spain in September too (Mozarabe) but I am pretty sure that will have to be postponed. It doesn't look good globally...Unfortunately.
Buen Camino,
Patty

I would think you would need less Spanish on the Frances. This is a guess as I haven't walked the Via de la Plata But I would try and learn a few common phrases at the very least.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Trecile is right: I have walked the Via de la Plata. I started in the second half of August, wrongfully assuming that it would be 'close to autumn'. It wasn't.

About speaking Spanish: it doesn't really matter where you'll walk. They speak it everywhere in Spain. True, on the costa's and the more popular routes like the Camino Frances or the Camino Portugues they might also speak English, but whenever you meet locals, they will be more than glad to speak Spanish.

It's in their blood.... 😉

You’ll be immersed simply by being in Spain, whichever route you take. I’ve done the Frances and Portuguese. I guess it’s the same everywhere; a few words or phrases shows that you cared enough to learn something. English is pretty universal now, whichever walk you take, there’s nearly always someone nearby who knows enough to sort you out. September? That’s my plan too but unfortunately, highly unlikely I reckon.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I would imagine that it might still be very hot on the Via de la Plata in September.
September a few years back there were days when the temperatures were close to 100 degrees Fahrenheit on the VdlP. You need to carry lots of water.
I'd say there's more need for some Spanish on it than on the Frances.
I've a feeling that we're not going to see much Camino walking this year.
I hope I'm wrong.

Hi @tadgh78, welcome, and good to see you hopeful and positive. Your question is around which would let you/your friend have a deeper immersion in the Spanish language. The Frances would be easier temperature wise, and generally people are patient and ready to let you do your best with their language, so I doubt that would be a problem. Have you looked at travelwise.ie? It might help you to set a realistic date for starting...

Welcome Tadgh, if this is your first Camino then the Frances would probably be a better bet to start with as it has better infrastructure, I started mine with no Spanish but learned quickly on the way enough phrases to get me a bed and food etc, if you make any effort the locals will go out of their way to help.
Happy planning and Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Regarding the language, I think it is almost the same on all caminos. I think the most important issue will be joining groups of Spanish pilgrims rather than just foreigners.

As for the weather, I would take the Camino del Norte instead of the Camino Frances or VDlP. In September it could get quite hot on those caminos, especially in VDlP, but also in the Camino Frances the sections between Logroño and Cruz de Ferro could be like an oven!! 🥵

Tadgh, my wife and I have walked the Camino Frances three times - from St Jean to Santiago each time. We walk from mid-Sept to late October. The weather is mostly mild - some days a bit hot and humid, some mornings with frost on the plants. And some days it will rain, particularly in Galicia. We've enjoyed each time, and were hoping to walk again this fall, but have accepted that our fourth camino will be delayed. With regards to Spanish, it was one of my two college majors and I spent a semester in Valencia. And my wife majored in Romance Languages (French and Spanish), so we can get by easily. Learning a few phrases in Spanish can help and others that are proficient always will help translate. Buen camino, whenever you go ! Bob

Unless your definition of immersion is different to mine you won't ever become "immersed" in Spanish on a Camino. Face it, if you and your friend are walking together then you'll be speaking English what? 90% of the time. Anybody younger than say their mid-30s will probably have better English conversational skills than your Spanish and will talk in English with you. Older people will just want to talk about their aches and pains.

Your topics of conversation will be
Bed/lodging - daily
Cafe/Restaurant/eating - several times daily
Shopping - daily
Directions - hopefully not often
Medical emergencies - hopefully never.
Quantum Physics and the political situation in Azerbaijan . . . .

All these can be covered by a basic knowledge of tourist Spanish, a smile and a few hand gestures (It's worked for me for 20 years). My go to resources to refresh my Spanish are Juan Kattan-Ibarra's Teach Yourself Spanish (nice guy, used to teach here in Canterbury - my copy is old, talks about pesetas! but solid). And Coffee Break Spanish - a podcast series from Coffee Break Spanish

Having said that I've always found that rural Spaniards are a lot more forgiving when you mangle their language than say the French - I've actually been applauded and given a Bravo! after stumbling through a request in a shop. Try and speak with Spanish women as much as is practicable - their higher pitch and clarity is far more understandable than that of most of the men.

Don't worry about the speed - the Spanish say that English speakers talk too fast as well (I live near Canterbury, there are lots of language schools around here and we're normally swamped with garrulous teenagers at this time of year)

If your friend truly wants an immersion experience then tell them to take 6 months off and take a study course where no English is spoken whatsoever.

Buen Suerte for whenever your Camino does come about

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have never walked the VDLP but plan to as soon as possible. I personally do not believe September will be possible but lets be hopeful. I am planning for either a late February or late October 2021 start depending on where we are worldwide. Having walked less traveled Caminos you will definitely encounter far fewer English speakers on the VDLP among local residents then on the CF. There will also be far fewer pilgrims to help you. Having said that I walked from Le Puy to Santiago and I doubt that I met more than about 5 people who could say more than hello in English the whole way through France. I can't say more than hello and thank you in French and I had a great experience so don't sweat that too much. As @trecile and others have also stated at that time of the year the weather in Southern Spain can be brutal. I have a dear pilgrim friend of mine from Ireland who I happened to run into in 2017 in Santiago in late October. I had just walked from Lisbon and he came from Sevilla. It was hot on my trek many days but it was nothing compared to what he experienced. He said there were days that reached 40C and he said maybe more. Very long stretches, sometimes over 25k without any place to even get water or get in the shade. It can be dangerous that time of year. So if we are amazingly lucky and the Spanish government opens up the Camino you may want to walk the CF. I am sure there are plenty of posts on the forum that address the heat on the VDLP. I can't wait to do it but that is why I picked the times of the year I did. Even though I know there may be lots of early spring rain or colder temperatures as I get closer to Santiago.

Hello from Ireland!

As the title says I’m hoping to do my first Camino this September (assuming the current emergency has abated by then).

I’d be traveling with a friend who is keen to improve his Spanish (mine is non-existent). He’d like to be immersed in the language as much as possible. I was wondering if there is any difference between the various Caminos in terms of the amount of Spanish you would find yourself using or needing?

Any thoughts on which path would be the best for immersion in Spanish (or is there much of a difference)?

Thanks,

Tadgh
Normally I would love to see you here, but please be realistic and consider the local community, tr
Hello from Ireland!

Thanks,

Tadgh
In normal time I would love to see you on either route. But please be realistic. Not this year. Maybe 2021 or even 2022. People across Europe have, and are still coming to terms with the current virus situation. This year, even if allowed, the local community would not welcome you. Please don't even think of this year.

More time to learn the language.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Unless your definition of immersion is different to mine you won't ever become "immersed" in Spanish on a Camino. Face it, if you and your friend are walking together then you'll be speaking English what? 90% of the time.
Yes, that was my immediate thought! You will not have an immersion language experience when walking with another English speaker. The exposure to Spanish will be occasional scattered throughout the day. On the Frances, you don't "need" Spanish at all. On the VDLP, you would "need" it occasionally each day, but you still won't get a lot of practice.
you will definitely encounter far fewer English speakers on the VDLP among local residents then on the CF.
True, but on the VDLP you will also encounter far fewer people to speak any language with.

On any camino, you have many opportunities to speak Spanish. However, no Camino is a good place for maximum language immersion. Except maybe a lone English speaker could join in a group of chatty Spanish pilgrims from Sarria, but they will be talking fast.

I suggest that you make your decision on the basis of other factors.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Yes, that was my immediate thought! You will not have an immersion language experience when walking with another English speaker. The exposure to Spanish will be occasional scattered throughout the day. On the Frances, you don't "need" Spanish at all. On the VDLP, you would "need" it occasionally each day, but you still won't get a lot of practice.

True, but on the VDLP you will also encounter far fewer people to speak any language with.

On any camino, you have many opportunities to speak Spanish. However, no Camino is a good place for maximum language immersion. Except maybe a lone English speaker could join in a group of chatty Spanish pilgrims from Sarria, but they will be talking fast.

I suggest that you make your decision on the basis of other factors.
I agree with what you wrote especially the numbers of pilgrims you may encounter. I think I inferred that the reasons to walk should be more based on other factors such as a more solitary camino and especially the dangers of possibly walking in very high temperatures when Tadgh78 wants to walk. It is probably a moot point as who knows when the government will open caminos again. I know I wouldn't go without a vaccine but it will become a personal decision after the authorities agree to reopen again.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back