• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hostel/Hotel at start of Camino in Irún?

Aodhán

Hi,

We are arriving into Irún on Monday 4 June and we would like to be able to make an early start on the Camino del Norte on Tuesday morning, without having to trundle through a city. What hostel or hotel at the beginning of the Camino would be best to stay in for the Monday night?

Thanks a million.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
In the west end of Irun:

$76▼Hotel Ibis Irun
Av de Letxunborro, 77
20305 Irun, Spain
943 63 62 32
accorhotels.com‎

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
dMiller said:
i need to now the exact same question. Irish pilgrim heading there next week. Did you find somewhere in the end?
Hi
there is a good Alburge in Irun-great chance to meet up with other pilgrims-down from the railway station over the Bridge-first right and down the bottom of that road on the right opposite the supermarket.
Buen Camino
Ian

sagalouts said:
dMiller said:
i need to now the exact same question. Irish pilgrim heading there next week. Did you find somewhere in the end?
Hi
there is a good Alburge in Irun-great chance to meet up with other pilgrims-down from the railway station over the Bridge-first right and down the bottom of that road on the right opposite the supermarket.
Buen Camino
Ian

The actual address of the Irun municipal albergue which Ian cites is Hospital de peregrinos de Irún
C/ Lucas de Berroa, 18. For more information see the Eroski web page --http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es./hospital-de-peregrinos-de-irun

Buen Camino!,

Margaret

I stayed at the Alcazar in Irun (http://www.hotelalcazar.net/), which was comfortable-- I think I paid about 50E but got breakfast thrown in for a pilgrim. It is very Spain 1962, but quite comfortable and the reception was friendly and helpful. Wi-fi, as well as a computer available for guest use (a glass of brandy was complimentary). The Turismo in Irun was helpful, and gave me a route map out of the city; the official cheerily filled water bottles for some parched French and Québécois pilgrims when I was there.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi,

We are arriving into Irún on Monday 4 June and we would like to be able to make an early start on the Camino del Norte on Tuesday morning, without having to trundle through a city. What hostel or hotel at the beginning of the Camino would be best to stay in for the Monday night?

Thanks a million.
I too arrive in Irun in the evening
Hi,

Thanks a million.

I too am arriving in Irun on the evening of 4th June. This is the info I have. Any recommendations from others would be appreciated. Hope we get to meet Aodhan.
Albergue de peregrinos (pilgrims’ hostel)
Open from 30-6 to 30-9.
C/ Lucas de Berroa nº18, 1º - 20301 - Irun
Tel. 943 62 41 85 / 635 743 774
irunsantiago@yahoo.es
Passes available.
Albergue Municipal Martindozenea (Martindozenea Municipal Hostel)
C/ Elizatxo nº18 - 20302 - Irun
Tel. 943 62 10 42
albergue@irun.org
www.irun.org/albergue

Irun- opens at 4 pm, very nice albergue
Irun Albergue
Dates/Times Open: Year-round, 1600-2200
Beds: 40
Features: Kitchen, Breakfast
Cost: Donation

Youth Hostel
Dates/Times Open: Year-round
Features: Reservations accepted
Cost: 10-14 euros

Is a Hostelling Card required to stay at some of the hostels on the Norte?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I stayed at the Bar Pension Restaurante Bidasoa for €30 a few days ago, as my bus was only arriving to Irun at 11:40pm which would've been too late for any albergue. Nothing fancy, but super convenient because it's just 2 mins walk from the train/bus station plus along the camino route, and open till late night.
https://www.booking.com/hotel/es/bar-pension-restaurante-bidasoa.en-gb.html

Note: in case you'd like to get your credencial stamped at the start of your journey in Irun, be sure to get to the albergue (the one cited above - Hospital de peregrinos de Irún @ C/ Lucas de Berroa, 18) well before their official closing time of 8am. I got there slightly before 8am, and it took me many minutes of persistent knocking and calling out (I could hear sounds behind the door), before a lady reluctantly answered the door - she was already in the middle of cleaning.

Buen camino!

We will arrive in Irun on October 1st, which means that some of the albergues will be shut. The one at Hondarribia sounds lovely. Can it be booked ahead? Also, is it on the camino? Thanks. Any other suggestions of accommodation are welcome. There will be 4 of us.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
We will arrive in Irun on October 1st, which means that some of the albergues will be shut. The one at Hondarribia sounds lovely. Can it be booked ahead? Also, is it on the camino? Thanks. Any other suggestions of accommodation are welcome. There will be 4 of us.

Sharon,

In the post just above, the writer suggested the Bar Pension Restaurant Bidasoa. I stayed there for two nights on April 26th and 27th this year. It is located on the camino. For two days before My start date (April 28) I would watch pilgrims go by the always open front door, on the sidewalk (the camino), when I would be in the bar/restaurant eating/drinking. The rooms are neat and clean. I paid about €30 per night. The day before I started, I went to the big church next door and had my credential stamped and dated, my first sello. The next morning, I was out the door just before sunrise. A left turn at the door, down to the second street (a traffic signal) and a left turn. In the sidewalk was my first scallop shell marker. Perfect.

The view from the front door looking in the direction the camino goes. It rained for the two days I was in Irun. The day I started, it was clear and sunny.
image.jpg

The church next door to the Bar Pension Bidasoa. Got first sello there.
image.jpg

First Del Norte sello.
image.jpg

First way marker. In the sidewalk two blocks from Bar Pension Bidasoa.
image.jpg

I would highly recommend the Bar Pension Bidasoa as a layover before starting the del Norte. Look it up at booking.com.

Hope this helps.

WV

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Hi Sharon,

Yep, you can make a reservation and it will be open. Email: info@capitantximista.com

I stayed there a few years ago. It's roughly 4km from the center of Irún and just off of the Camino (signposted). They'll do dinner and breakfast for you, if you want. It was really nice to start the tough walk to San Sebastián with a few kms trimmed off the top!

Dave

Hi guys, we'd really like to stay in Irun in the municipal. If they are completo then we intend to get out to the next albergue 4km out. Is there a possibility they would let us sleep on the floor? Anyone know if they allow this?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.