A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Buy any book, get free camino shell

How arduous is the walk to Finistère or Muxía

Camino(s) past & future
None to this point
Hey, there.

Would welcome the thoughts of those in the know. I’m now in the final stages of the Portugues to Santiago, and had been looking at going on to Finisterre or Muxía afterwards. Would have four days at most, and am wondering how arduous it is compared to the Coastal Portugues, which is my frame of reference. Depending on how demanding it is, I may consider the spiritual variation of the CP instead.

Thank you!

SabineP

Camino = Empathy + Compassion.
Camino(s) past & future
some and then more. see my signature.
Hey, there.

Would welcome the thoughts of those in the know. I’m now in the final stages of the Portugues to Santiago, and had been looking at going on to Finisterre or Muxía afterwards. Would have four days at most, and am wondering how arduous it is compared to the Coastal Portugues, which is my frame of reference. Depending on how demanding it is, I may consider the spiritual variation of the CP instead.

Thank you!
IMHO both routes are comparable. I walked from SdC in four days as a Camino on it's own and found it very doable. And you will be much stronger seeing you already have been walking and have built up stamina and strength.
The first sight of the ocean at Finisterrre was for me more emotional than seeing Santiago's cathedral.
Enjoy!

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999
Camino(s) past & future
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Camino Inglés 2018

Now: http://egeria.house/
It is hilly, but not badly so, BUT it can be a bit touristy, especially Finisterre, so my personal choice would be the Variante Espiritual. Buen Camino, SY

Camino(s) past & future
None to this point
Thanks, Jill.

Just posted the following on the Spiritual Variant forum, but thought I’d add it here too in light of what I started:

Hey, there.

May be opting for the Spiritual Variant. What’s the boat ride like? Sail boat? Motor? Big? Small? Smooth? Choppy? I’ll spare you the details, but me and riding on the water haven’t always gotten along so well :)

Pam Scott

Camino(s) past & future
Camino de Santiago compostella 2015
The route to Finishers is not arduous the route itself was very peaceful ,late September, compared to the main routes and an emotional ending.

Camino(s) past & future
(2015) Camino Frances/Muxia/Fisterre (2017) Caminho Portuguese/Fisterre
(2019) Camino del Norte
I have made a vow to never be in Spain and not see Finisterre. The walk is very doable and I simply love Finisterre. That said, if I walk the Caminho Portuguese again, I will walk the coast. I did the central last time, and think the coast would be a wonderful alternative.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francis (Fall of 2017)
I did the Camino Frances, SJPdP, last Fall and finished my experience in Finisterre. For me, climbing out of Santiago, looking at the cathedral as the sun rose the next morning and then walking through the mountains to see the coast and ultimately arrive at the 0 Km marker was magical and very moving. The walk was stunning, the sunrises and sunsets spectacular and the paths a little quieter. Personally, one of my favorite stages. It is all wonderful...I am going to walk the Camino Portuguese this fall and can't wait to be back on the way again. Buen Camino!

Gayden

Camino(s) past & future
None to this point
I have made a vow to never be in Spain and not see Finisterre. The walk is very doable and I simply love Finisterre. That said, if I walk the Caminho Portuguese again, I will walk the coast. I did the central last time, and think the coast would be a wonderful alternative.
Hi. I don’t have a gram of reference, as it’s only the coastal that I know, but it’s wonderful.

Camino(s) past & future
None to this point
Sigh. I meant “frame,” not gram!!

jesper K

Camino(s) past & future
Camino frances 2013 - Camino Portugues 2014 - Camino frances 2016 -
camino frances 2018
The walk from Finisterre to Muxia is also very beautiful.
That's one way to put. I walked muxia-finisterra today in miserable fog and rain that didn't know whether to stay away or irritate me lol. Poncho on poncho off poncho on poncho off. And before I forget - a gigantic puddle of water and mud, that seemed innocent enough and filled the entire trail - so there was no way around it. I thought - can't be that deep - huge mistake, my right foot/shoe went under, just above the ankle. The camino gives the camino taketh away.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (May 2015)
Camino Frances (2016-2018)
A complicated Camino from Madrid (Aug/Sep 18)
Yes the walk today from A Picota to Cee wasn’t a bundle of laughs. Rain, fog, mist all the way. Couldn’t see the sea at Cee until I could virtually touch it ;)

grifwe

Camino(s) past & future
Portuguese coastal
Spiritual Varient is a little bit extra from Pontevedra - Armenteira - Villa Nova derousa, then a boat to Padron, where it rejoins Portuguese way. Absolutely beautiful and very peaceful. So so recommend it!!

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 9 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 34 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 112 14.7%
  • May

Votes: 187 24.6%