• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How are the Current Walking Conditions?

Worldwithamy

Time of past OR future Camino
June/July 2023
Hi! I’m leaving next week and finalizing my itinerary and packing list.

Anything you wish you would’ve known that you could share with the rest of us? Would love to hear from someone recently done their trip in June or still on

Is it chilly enough at nights or some days to bring a thicker sweater or light jacket? Long pants?

How warm was it in the accommodations?
How packed is it? Enough to book accommodations days in advance?

Any issues with bugs?

any other useful info thx so much!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
As you can see from our blog post, we did the Spiritual Variant in June 2019: https://twoclinestraveling.wordpress.com/2019/06/26/walking-on-the-variante-espiritual/
I don't recall any issues with cold. It was short sleeves all the way. We did have a little rain one morning but that didn't last long. No problems with bugs either. At most, you might want to take a light sweater for the evenings. Only the very top end accommodations will have AC, so you'll likely have ceiling fans, at best. Keeping yourself hydrated during the walk will probably be your biggest challenge. And yes, I'd advise booking several nights in advance to be safe. Buen Camino!

The Spanish AEMET service can give you the standard climate data across all of Spain, or if you are leaving in less than a week, use their weather forecasts.

The climate data for Pontevedra can be found here: https://www.aemet.es/en/serviciosclimaticos/datosclimatologicos/valoresclimatologicos?l=1484C&k=gal

I haven't walked recently enough to give you a guide on booking accommodation. I walked in Apr, and mostly booked for the day I was walking. More recently, in late May, I walked the Sanabres, and mostly stayed at Xunta albergues that couldn't be booked. They were never more than half full, and some almost empty.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I made it to Santiago on June 13 after walking from Saint Jean. I had a few days of rain, most in Galicia. It got warmer in June, but it was still fairly comfortable with most days in the low to mid 20's. Mornings and evenings are cooler, so you may need a sweater. Otherwise shorts and t-shirt or hiking pants and t-shirt were fine for me.

I have just finished the Spiritual Variante. I loved it! It is now very hot. I don’t have any long pants - just shorts and capris- and haven’t needed any. I do put on a long sleeved shirt in the evening because it is a bit cool ( for me). I started the day at 7:00 anm this morning with short sleeves. And I have a light rain jacket to add warmth if necessary ( the boat to Padron). It has rained. The albergues are exceptionally clean ( no bugs) Some albergues have been full but a lot have empty beds. There are people booking the walking day, and one day ahead. I have booked two days ahead. It depends on the community. Armenteira seemed tight for accommodation. I stayed at the monastery in one of the four ( I think ) private rooms on the second floor. It did not seem that the nuns were opening other beds than the the floor of private rooms. The second floor was blocked off and I never saw other pilgrims. The room and monastery were really lovely. Generally there. seem to be beds available but I would book a few days in advance for peace of mind ( just me). I don’t know what the demand for beds is in the coming days. Tonight in Albergue Milladoiro there are many empty beds ( it is early ) It is a big, and very nice albergue. I have only been in one air conditioned albergue ( and was very glad because it was full). Some are quite warm. Fans help if there are any.

The boat to Padron was amazing. I took the Bahia Sub ( mentioned in the Brierly guide) for 25€. 607 911 523. It is a covered boat with open upper deck, serves coffee and cake for breakfast. The captain gives a great informative tour -stopping close up to let us see the harvesting of the mussels. There is another open boat for 30€. A cooler ( temperature wise ) ride. I don’t know much more about that one. If you know your itinerary book in advance.

On the trail after leaving Armenteira - when you come to a choice to go left over the walking bridge to a level wide path with the river being on your right or to continue straight on an packed trail full of roots I would take that trail keeping the river in your left. All the old mills are on that side. The trail levels out after. I went over the bridge and doubled back to take the rooty trail because I saw what I was missing.

Enjoy! Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back