• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How far to walk in 15 days? Ponferrada to Santiago?

Melissa Ellen

Time of past OR future Camino
My 24 yo decided to walk the Camino a few weeks ago and starts in Ponferrada on April 11 and plans to arrive Santiago April 25. She has 14 walking days available (1 extra day in Santiago at the end) and we enquired with Camino Ways and have days ranging 24km to 10km. Do you think this is too slow? Will there be plenty to do and see along the way on this stretch or is she better to try and walk it quicker and walk to Finesterre? Although that would mean walking this stretch in 10 days? She doesn't want to overstretch herself but she doesn't want to be sitting in the accommodation at the end of the short walk either. She loves photography and will be taking plenty of photos along the way. Would love some advice before booking.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
She should just go and walk and stop when she needs to each day. There's no need to use a company to book accommodation.
With two week's time she could start in León, but Ponferrada would give her plenty of time, and if she has extra days at the end she can walk to Finisterre and/or Muxía.

Check out the stages on Gronze

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My 24 yo decided to walk the Camino a few weeks ago and starts in Ponferrada on April 11 and plans to arrive Santiago April 25. She has 14 walking days available (1 extra day in Santiago at the end) and we enquired with Camino Ways and have days ranging 24km to 10km. Do you think this is too slow? Will there be plenty to do and see along the way on this stretch or is she better to try and walk it quicker and walk to Finesterre? Although that would mean walking this stretch in 10 days? She doesn't want to overstretch herself but she doesn't want to be sitting in the accommodation at the end of the short walk either. She loves photography and will be taking plenty of photos along the way. Would love some advice before booking.

Is the booking through Camino Ways already made?

This planningtool might be of help.

For a fit 24 year old 15 days are more than doable.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I personally don't think you need to book your Camino plans through a travel company. All you need is a guidebook with maps and use it as a resource to plan your trip. Also pre-booking prevents flexibility and being able to be spontaneous.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My 13yo son and I walked from Leon to Santiago in two weeks (with a very short day in Astorga). We did not book and had no problems finding a bed. -- So I advocate for your 24yo to carry her own stuff and stop where she likes on that day. :)

It depends on what she wants out of the walk. If she wants to explore and enjoy the surroundings, 14 walking days is certainly enough. Otherwise it may be more than she needs. We walked from Leon to Santiago in 19 days - more than enough time for that distance and we could have gone much further on some days, but on the plus side we were able to relax and enjoy the local scenery and culture wherever we stayed. We had some short days and some long ones but never took a rest day. So it depends on her goals - whether to cover as much of the Camino as she can in that time period, or spend time in some places. She would probably do well to study what’s on her route, be aware in advance where she might want to spend more time, and take it on an as-you-go basis.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I'm 62, and its much too slow for me, but a lot of people like to mosey. I have walked with a lot of women in her age group who trekked from Leon to Santiago in 10-11 days, took a day in Santiago and then 3 to Finisterre. Just need to be fit and not carry the kitchen sink. Start in Leon, see a lot more of the Camino including Cruz de Ferro. If time, go to Finisterre; if not, there are easily several days of sights to see in Santiago, including the Walk of Walks which takes most of a day if you spend any time at the parks, churches and other landmarks along the way.

I say start in León so you have a few hours or more to sightsee. Doing 25 km (15 miles) a day gets you to SdC in 13 days of walking.

I suggest taking the street bus to La Virgen del Camino out of León though. That is about 8 km of pavement walking though an industrial area and the risk of starting the camino with a foot problem is not worth it.

From La Virgen take the Villar de Mazarife option, the more rural route.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We walked Leon to Santiago with our 13year old grandson, easily in 14 days with one rest day, including the Samos option. Booked a day or so ahead as we went. Leon is also really easy and fast to get to.

there are easily several days of sights to see in Santiago, including the Walk of Walks which takes most of a day if you spend any time at the parks, churches and other landmarks along the way.
HI Mattythedog, what is this Walk of Walks? I searching it in Google, and nothing came back. Thanks.

HI Mattythedog, what is this Walk of Walks? I searching it in Google, and nothing came back. Thanks.
Esg, I am very sorry; I got it wrong (senior moment). It is The Route of Routes. It is a 12-14 km walk all around Santiago which crosses all 5 Camino routes into Santiago.

It was described on this site years ago and was available in pdf:

The Route of Routes in Santiago de Compostela

Devised and described by John Walker www.johnniewalker-santiago.blogspot.com

This route is dedicated to the staff of the Pilgrims’ Office in Santiago de Compostela and the pilgrims they serve.

Funny, when I asked various staff in the Pilgrims Office, they had no idea what I was talking about.

I have it in my own files as copied from here, but the link on this site no longer opens for me. I also did searches on this site, and I found various posts and links, but they do not open for me. I am not sure if I am allowed to attach the PDF (Route-of-Routes-Final-Master-June2012.pdf) to this blog, but if you cannot find it or open it, contact me directly and I can email it to you.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We can all speculate but we do not know your daughter’s fitness level. She might consider starting in Astorga. The walk from Astorga to
Ponferrada is lovely and thru lower mountains.

Has your daughter been walking long distances steadily? Has she walked hills? Up and down witha a pack? How far does she think she can walk day after day? if she is uncertain don’t book with a company. Once she does, she does not have the flexibility to change.

You indicated that your daughter will be starting in two weeks However, be aware, Semana Santa (Holy Week) starts April 2nd and the following week, from Sarria to Santiago de Compostela will be heavily trafficed with Spanish groups and Families. I urge her to make reservations ahead that last 100km. Towns will be fully booked.

We can all speculate but we do not know your daughter’s fitness level. She might consider starting in Astorga. The walk from Astorga to
Ponferrada is lovely and thru lower mountains.

Has your daughter been walking long distances steadily? Has she walked hills? Up and down witha a pack? How far does she think she can walk day after day? if she is uncertain don’t book with a company. Once she does, she does not have the flexibility to change.

You indicated that your daughter will be starting in two weeks However, be aware, Semana Santa (Holy Week) starts April 2nd and the following week, from Sarria to Santiago de Compostela will be heavily trafficed with Spanish groups and Families. I urge her to make reservations ahead that last 100km. Towns will be fully booked.
I've walked twice during Semana santa, and didn't have difficulty finding places in pilgrim hostels. OK-- Leon was packed, and the line to get a bunk was long. The nuns asked for help in cleaning out a room usually used for storage. But, in the smaller villages there was plenty of room. There were some places that didn't open until after easter.

Easter in Santiago!!

Esg, I am very sorry; I got it wrong (senior moment). It is The Route of Routes. It is a 12-14 km walk all around Santiago which crosses all 5 Camino routes into Santiago.

This route is dedicated to the staff of the Pilgrims’ Office in Santiago de Compostela and the pilgrims they serve.

Funny, when I asked various staff in the Pilgrims Office, they had no idea what I was talking about.

I have it in my own files as copied from here, but the link on this site no longer opens for me. I also did searches on this site, and I found various posts and links, but they do not open for me. I am not sure if I am allowed to attach the PDF (Route-of-Routes-Final-Master-June2012.pdf) to this blog, but if you cannot find it or open it, contact me directly and I can email it to you.
There's a thread about this here, but as you said the link is broken. Perhaps @peregrina2000, who posted that thread can give us more info.

€60,-
I've walked twice during Semana santa, and didn't have difficulty finding places in pilgrim hostels. OK-- Leon was packed, and the line to get a bunk was long. The nuns asked for help in cleaning out a room usually used for storage. But, in the smaller villages there was plenty of room. There were some places that didn't open until after easter.

Easter in Santiago!!
Glad you were able to find beds duringSemanaSanta. One year we had a reservation in OPedrouzo for Holy Tuesday, but pilgrims were calling in and the owner told us at 3pm that the town had already reached full occupancy and there were no beds in OPedrouzo.

Once we reached a village that was filled (not during Semana santa), and we had the option of walking back 4km or ahead 5km for a bed. Or we had the option of calling a taxi. We walked ahead 5 more km.

If you have a PDF file, I would love to have a copy of it. We are doing our 2nd camino October 2023. Thank you,

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
No problem. Please message me directly with your email, and I will send it.
There's a thread about this here, but as you said the link is broken. Perhaps @peregrina2000, who posted that thread can give us more info.
Hi Trecile, as I told a couple others, please message me directly with your email, and I will send it to you. Be fantastic if the former User or Ivar can fix the link or put it on this site somewhere as a resource. It is a very relaxing walk all around Santiago mostly away from the hustle bustle and crowds.

Once we reached a village that was filled (not during Semana santa), and we had the option of walking back 4km or ahead 5km for a bed. Or we had the option of calling a taxi. We walked ahead 5 more km.
Good call. Never go Back! as Jack Reacher said. Ulteia!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I would recommend she start in Astorga. The walk from Astorga to either Rabanal or Foncebaden is great as is the walk to Cruz de fero. The walk from Cruz de fero to either Molinaseca or Ponferada was probably one of my favorite days on the Francis route.
This just adds a couple of days to her original plan and would make getting to Santiago in her time frame no problem.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back