• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How many days do i need from the netherlands to SdC ?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Welcome spelt, I cannot answer your question definitively but I met a man from the Netherlands in early May 2012 who had walked out his front door on the first week of January, and who told me he walked 40 km approx per day. I met this man a few days before Sarria.
I hope this is of help.
Buen Camino
PS. I walked from St Jean Pied de Port in 36 days including 2 rest days, averaging about 25 km per day.

I can't help much either, except anecdotally. I recall one fellow who had walked from Holland - I met him about Logroño (he left me in his dust) and he'd been on the road for 3 months.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi spelt, welcome :)
Nice project!
It depends of your starting point and of the Caminos you'll chose, but there are roughly 3500km from the Netherlands to Santiago. Given your pace on the CF (800km in 35 days -> 23km/day), that's (roughly again) about 152 days - 5 months.
On such long distance walks though, one's averave becomes higher than that with time. Starting from Strasboug (3m1/2), I can tell I walked longer distances per day as I moved towards SdC. Also that it takes more than a month to be comfortable with more km. Considering that, I'd say you can count less.
Buen Camino!

full

Counting backwards, if you can do SJPP-SdC in 5 weeks, then Le Puy-SJPP would be a little less than 5 weeks, probably 4 weeks from the French border (depending on route), and perhaps 2 weeks from Amsterdam to the border (again, depending on route). So that makes 16 weeks of walking, at an optimistic rate, not counting rest or maintenance days. So, close to 5 months all told, for planning purposes.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The number of days depends on many factors.
3 Months seems to be the quickest, depending on who you are and where you live, and there are of course walking days and resting days.
If you want to do some planning, I recommend "L'Esprit du Chemin" (in Dutch):

http://www.espritduchemin.org/nl/kies-je-route

Johan Wyffels planned 119 days from his home in Belgium to SdC, planning here:

http://www.johan-camino.be/mijn-camino/

Everything is possible of course, but the Le Puy route is not exactly on the way to Santiago when coming from the Netherlands.
The most direct paths go through Belgium (many routes there, it really depends where you're starting from), then join either the Paris-Tours or VĂ©zelay routes. Then these 2 French Caminos end in Saint Jean Pied de Port. Then I guess you know the Spanish options ;)

full

It took me 87 days, including 5 non-walking days, from my front door in Breda in the south of Holland to Santiago de Compostela. My itinerary was as follows: Via Brabantica, Via Monastica, Via Campaniensis, Via Lemovicensis, Camino Frances.
It took some calculations at the Santiago Pilgrim office (they didn't have numbers ready for, in my case, further back than VĂ©zelay), but we agreed on 2488 kilometers. So if you know your average walking distance per day, you can estimate the number of days you'll need.
The "L'Esprit du Chemin" tip from MinaKamina is golden: be sure to stay with them on your way south!

Happy planning

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Daily KM distance and other factors are highly variable over such distances, and there are vital health and psychological factors too, so the question is literally impossible to answer.

In 1994 age 29 I walked 1800 Km from Paris to Santiago in 44 days, 40K average / day.

In 2005 age 40 I walked 2000 Km from Monaco to Santiago in 77 days.

Apart from the obvious age differential, there was also a significant terrain factor, as my southern Camino was far more mountainous.

It's quite likely too that your daily average will increase over the weeks (possibly after an initial decrease from physical and mental fatigue), so even calculating in advance on the basis of your speed in training will likely provide false projections.

Welcome spelt, I cannot answer your question definitively but I met a man from the Netherlands in early May 2012 who had walked out his front door on the first week of January, and who told me he walked 40 km approx per day. I met this man a few days before Sarria.
I hope this is of help.
Buen Camino
PS. I walked from St Jean Pied de Port in 36 days including 2 rest days, averaging about 25 km per day.

thankz for the info ...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I can't help much either, except anecdotally. I recall one fellow who had walked from Holland - I met him about Logroño (he left me in his dust) and he'd been on the road for 3 months.

thanxz ... 3 months is what i have .. want to know for sure iff i can make it in that time ;-)

And if you need a place to stay when in Belgium : I live close to the Via Brabantica and Limburgica so do give a shout.

iff i go it will be in may 2018 .. thankzz for the offer to stay over ... will let you know ! greetzz

Het Nederlands genootschap van Sint Jacob heeft op basis van de ervaringen van pelgrims over de afgel,open 40 jaar uitgerekend dat de gemiddelde pelgrim er 107 dagen over doet van Nederland naar Santiago. De snellen doen het in minder dan 80, de langzamere in 150 dagen (5 maanden). Ik vertrek in april 2017 en ik denk er ongeveer 100 dagen over te zullen doen. Goede reis!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Het Nederlands genootschap van Sint Jacob heeft op basis van de ervaringen van pelgrims over de afgel,open 40 jaar uitgerekend dat de gemiddelde pelgrim er 107 dagen over doet van Nederland naar Santiago. De snellen doen het in minder dan 80, de langzamere in 150 dagen (5 maanden). Ik vertrek in april 2017 en ik denk er ongeveer 100 dagen over te zullen doen. Goede reis!

top ! bedankt voor je reactie ! hiernaar was ik op zoek .. ben zelf ook sinds 2013 ( camino frances ) lid van het genootschap maar kon dit niet vlot terug vinden . En omdat ik volgend voorjaar ( 2018 ) 3 maanden vrij heb genomen ... ;-) .. je snapt m al hoop ik .. 3 maanden = 90 dagen ... hmm ... ik heb gelukkig nog even om erover na te denken .. ( opnieuw santiago of "via francigena ) .... nogmaals bedankt ! en mocht je een blog oid bij gaan houden dan hoor ik dat graag ! vriendelijke groet en Buen Camino ! Ultreia !

Just a reminder to members that this forum works best in English. Moderators and forum members do need to understand what is being said. If you want to have a private conversation with other members in another language, please use the personal message service - "start a new conversation" from your Inbox.

Welcome spelt, I cannot answer your question definitively but I met a man from the Netherlands in early May 2012 who had walked out his front door on the first week of January, and who told me he walked 40 km approx per day.

There's actually a difference between "40 km approx per day" and a more specific 40K daily average. The latter is faster than the former (usually), because the latter includes stages of 50+ or 60+ Km (and of course some slower days and some rest days), whereas the former quite frequently does not.

Most who do "about 40K" are more likely averaging about 30-35 in real terms, especially further away than SJPP and especially in more difficult terrain.

And this is not to point any fingers -- I was myself an "about 40K" pilgrim on my 2005 Camino, at least once I hit "cruise speed". The 1994 pilgrimage when I averaged 40K was very different and much quicker.

It's 2500 KM or so as the pilgrim hikes -- 4 months for "about 40 K" sounds exactly right, but a 40K daily average works out as 2500/40 = two months plus some weeks for terrain and other factors. At that speed, it took me about six weeks from Paris to Santiago.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi Camino Family, I am travelling from Australia to start the Le Puy Camino May 27th 2024. If there is anyone else planning on walking around this time, it would be great to connect. I speak...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back