• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How many times have Veteran walkers walked the Camino?

yellowshoes55

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portuguese - Porto to Santiago, (2014)
Camino Frances - SJPP to Santiago (2015)
Just curious - how many times have some of the veterans walked the Camino de Santiago.

Which time did you enjoy the most? Did you walk each time from SJPP to Santiago?

What was the weather like each time??

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
yellowshoes55 said:
...how many times have some of the veterans walked the Camino de Santiago. Which time did you enjoy the most? Did you walk each time from SJPP to Santiago?
What was the weather like each time??
1. Amply justified 5 Compostelas :lol:
2. Best time autumn 2011 (particularly in the Rioja) :shock:
3. Never started in SJPP :oops: (but several times from Roncesvalles)
4. Weather conditions ranged between bloody hot, quite hot, mildly hot, nice, fresh, cold, bloody cold, clear skies, fog, drizzle, some rain, a lot of rain, floods. Missed snow and/or ice. 8)
Ultreya :!:

Hi!

Only one Camino Frances from SJPP and the other from Pamplona. One Camino Ingles and one Finisterre. Also spent a week each of the last 2 years on the Meseta clearing litter.

December on the Meseta is beautiful, crisp and sometimes misty. On the hills it would be more difficult.

Spring is lovely on the Frances, but you have to be prepared for anything and mornings or evenings can be chilly.

I've only walked in Galicia in autumn and on one occasion it was nice, on the other it was a 3 day monsoon! Be prepared!

Buen Camino!

p.s. The first one is the best. :D

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Walk camino Francis 5 times, started each in sjpdep and 32 days to Santiago , no problems, just walk shower, eat sleep, total bliss, walk camino finisterre and Musial 2 times and Musial to finisterre once. No rest days, walked in may/ June, no rain except bit of drizzle one day, September soaked one day Samos to sarria. Next Porto to Santiago April 2013 and Lourdes to Pamplona sept 2013.

I have been to the Camino Frances eight times, starting in Saint Jean Pied de Port (4 times), Roncesvalles, Pamplona, Burgos, and Ponferrada. I walked every step of the way the time I started in Roncesvalles, and the other times have ranged from one to three weeks each.

My favorite walk was the time I started in Ponferrada. I was able to walk the entire way with the same group of people. (Because I walk only 20 kms each day, I usually lose my friends before too long.) I also walked to Finesterre on that trip, and that was fantastic.

Eight times walking all the way from SJPdP via Valcarlos to Santiago. Seven times continued on to Finisterre. Always in autumn and winter. Weather conditions have included glorious sunshine, dense fog, torrential rain with thick mud, bitter cold and heavy snow. Like all my loves each CF has been special.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Camino Frances - 4 times
Once in late Summer (HOT HOT HOT) from Astorga
Twice in Fall (NICE) from SJPP
Once in Spring (WET but BEAUTIFUL) from SJPP
I enjoyed the Spring walk the most

Via de la Plata - 1 time
Summer (HOT AND DANGEROUSLY DRY) from Seville.
I did not finish but moved up to the Frances after about 10 days.
I would like to attempt this route again some day.

Camino Aragones
Once in the Fall (HOT) from Jaca
Once in the Spring (BEAUTIFUL) from Jaca after walking from Lourdes
I enjoyed both and will do this route again this year, hopefully

Norte
Once in the Fall (WET) from Bilbao
I did not finish the route; ran out of time.
I'd like to do this route in the summer

Portuguese
Once in the late Summer (NICE) from Porto
I didn't like the highway walking
I might try this again some day

I have to say my favorite route of all was the route from Lourdes to Pamplona.
I think I enjoyed the Spring walking most, because of the wildflowers, even though there was more rain and it was colder.

I would like also to walk from Barcelona some day.

Thoroughly enjoying all your replies. Thanks. Was hoping Annie or Sillydoll would post their experiences.

I am from Australia and we are in our late 50's, early 60's. Hubby & I hope to walk from SJPP to Santiago in Spring either 2014 or 2015. None of my friends have heard of the Camino, let alone walked it.

I have read Annie's blog & am following her packing suggestions to a tee.

You are all to be in awe of. Thank you again for your inspiring replies.

Just twice on the Frances, but we do a trail about every other year----I think the north half of the Fracigena this year will be pilgimage number 6 or 7.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Re: Lourdes to Pamplona

Hi I was thinking of doing this route (Lourdes to Pamplona). Are there any maps/routes of this part of the Camino? Are there albergues along the way?

Re: Lourdes to Pamplona

I am interested in walking lourdes to Pamplona or Lourdes to st. J pde p in mid June this year but finding a route map , information on albergues etc in English impossible, if anyone knows where I could get this information it would be appreciated, my French not good but can get by in spain

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
information on albergues etc in English impossible
If you will go to the websites in French and use the Chrome browser, it will automatically translate the pages into English. Most of the pilgrims are French and German on these routes, so guidebooks in English do not exist to my knowledge. The best you will do is to translate internet pages and print them.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back