• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to get fleas out of boots and rucksack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy B

Time of past OR future Camino
Currently on Camino Frances
Bit embarrassing, but I seem to have picked up fleas which have now got into my boots and rucksack. Any ideas how to get rid of them ? Thinking of going home as I feel grumpy and pretty p....d off.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Oh that doesn’t sound good. I would be tempted to get a can of insect spray and a plastic bag large enough to put all the gear in. Spray into the bag, seal it and let the spray do its work.
If you want a more natural solution, a quick google search says that putting your gear in a clothes dryer will kill fleas. Sun also kills fleas which may work for your boots.
Best wishes.

The "sun solution" involves placing the affected items into a large BLACK bin bag, sealing the bag, and setting them to bake in the hot sun for as long as you can. Being in Spain (or where I live in Florida) helps with this. The high temperature is supposed to cook the little buggers and their eggs dead.

Hope this helps.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I wonder if you have bedbugs, and not fleas?
Have you SEEN fleas?
Please read the threads on bedbugs and consider taking post-bedbug precautions.
Hi Anniesantiago thanks for your reply. I went to the chemist in Najera and he confirmed that they were flea bites and not chinches. I’ve done the heat thing and washed them at high temperature however my lovely rucksack now resembles a bum bag or fanny pack as our American pilgrims say. Hope it works.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi @Andy B

I would be careful identifying insects only by their bites! They look different on different persons, depending how allergic somebody is. Have you actually seen the little "treasures" jumping around? Or only their bites?

Buen Camino, SY

Hi @Andy B

I would be careful identifying insects only by their bites! They look different on different persons, depending how allergic somebody is. Have you actually seen the little "treasures" jumping around? Or only their bites?

Buen Camino, SY

Just their bites. The chemists stems that they are around the ankles where they tend to bite.. Like I’ve said I done the heat and wash protocol so be it flea or chinch they should hopefully be gone. I’ll do a bedbug routine before going home. Hopes this works as I was really starting to get into the Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Unfortunately, the camino comes with both good and bad.

Try and push through.

Prayerfully the little blighters will die off or go away asap.

Buen camino soon.

Please, don't abandon your journey! Just as in all of life, there will be ups and down, and I'm confident you will have many, many more wonderful experiences as your Camino journey continues. Peace, and more peace!

Just their bites. The chemists stems that they are around the ankles where they tend to bite.. Like I’ve said I done the heat and wash protocol so be it flea or chinch they should hopefully be gone. I’ll do a bedbug routine before going home. Hopes this works as I was really starting to get into the Camino.

Those do sound like flea bites. But you're most likely to have been bitten somewhere they were living in the carpets or furniture (possibly more than one place). If you haven't seen them in your pack or shoes it's quite unlikely you're carrying them with you. Spray if you want to, but don't let this derail your Camino! Flea bites are a nuisance but don't need to be a Camino - ending event. Being all to familiar with the little b****rs I've wondered whether some of the bedbug bites reported by pilgrims have really been flea bites. Use soothing cream, and try to stop your socks rubbing on the bites when possible.

Buen (bite free) Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Please, don't abandon your journey! Just as in all of life, there will be ups and down, and I'm confident you will have many, many more wonderful experiences as your Camino journey continues. Peace, and more peace!
Have regrouped in Burgos and will push on tomorrow. Many thanks for your advice.

If you can find diatomaceous earth, a generous sprinkling will get rid off them. All natural, no chemicals, works for any bug.

Greetings from your friendly rather outdated Camino Toxicologist:

Diatomacaous Earth will definitely kill them fast. Just make sure you don't breathe it in. After use, wash and/or vacuum out your pack and boots. Diatomaceous Earth is very fine fossilized diatoms with sharp corners and it cuts up the breathing apparatus of insects. It can also get by our mammalian lung defenses. Just treat the stuff with caution and respect even though it's non-chemical.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
According to my Bing Translator, better IMHO than Google, the Spanish for "Diatomaceous Earth" is:

"Tierra de diatomeas"

Just sayin... Try a farmacia first, then maybe a ferrateria, florist, or garden store.

Hope this helps.

According to my Bing Translator, better IMHO than Google, the Spanish for "Diatomaceous Earth" is:

"Tierra de diatomeas"

In cases like this Wikipedia is the better option, go to the respective Wiki article in English https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth
Scroll down until you see in the left sidebar the different languages and click on español and you arrive at this article https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomita

Diatomaceous Earth = diatomita ;-)

Hope that helps, BC sin bichos, SY

I would be interested to hear where/how this happened.
After returning from a long summer away from my house many years ago, I found it full of fleas. I never saw a flea on my dog but obviously that was not the case because their eggs hatched and re hatched ad infinitum in my carpet. So my question is: was this a place with animals that had been closed for the winter and then reopened recently without an opportunity for the fleas to be reunite with their cousins on either the cat(s) or the dog(s)?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I would be interested to hear where/how this happened.
After returning from a long summer away from my house many years ago, I found it full of fleas. I never saw a flea on my dog but obviously that was not the case because their eggs hatched and re hatched ad infinitum in my carpet. So my question is: was this a place with animals that had been closed for the winter and then reopened recently without an opportunity for the fleas to be reunite with their cousins on either the cat(s) or the dog(s)?
Hi Biarritzdon. I’ve no idea how or where it happened. I started on Thursday 26th April and started noticing the bites on the Monday. I’ve ditched the rucksack and nuked everything else in the tumble dryer so here’s hoping.

If you live in South Florida, and I know you do, carpet is verboten! Your experience is one of the reasons.

Clearly, the fleas came in on some warm blooded mammal. They deposited their eggs in the nice warm and cozy carpet. It only takes a couple...

Flea eggs can lay dormant until they sense a blood source nearby. Nature is weird like that.

So, when you returned, they sensed "MEAL" and hatched en masse. I recall that fleas are most resilient when in the egg stage.

Hope you got rid of the carpet, and brought in an exterminator.

If you live in South Florida, and I know you do, carpet is verboten! Your experience is one of the reasons.
This happened years ago before I move to Florida, but I could imagine if one had a cat that lounged in chairs, beds and on throw rugs this would create the same problem. That's why I opined that the pilg must have stayed in a place that had been closed up during winter and recently opened for the season. From his response, I don't think we will ever know.
BTW, how's it going in SdC? I start walking next Sunday from Laredo after attending the European Rugby Cup in Bilbao over the weekend.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I returned home last Saturday, arriving at 0100 on Sunday, after some 25 hours of travel and airport layovers. The next time, July - August, I am flying direct MIA - MAD - SCQ and reverse. I am DONE trying to save a dollar...

At 65, time is precious...too precious to spend in an airport, or doodling around in the skies to suit the airlines hub and spoke system. Nope, Iberia direct and non-stop flights for me...

Things in SdC were fine when I was there. All the gang is well and healthy. Sybil has her hands full with the emerging Anglican Chaplaincy. She is doing a fabulous job of it. In addition, she is getting support from the network of expat Camino addicts living there (wish I were), as well as from the Archbishop's office (yes, in the Cathedral).

Daily arrivals at the Pilgrim Office are increasing to about 1,500 daily now. BY the time I return to work as a volunteer in mid=July, the numbers will very likely be over 2,000 daily. They are thinking that it will start hitting 3,000 daily in the weeks surrounding the Feast of Santiago on 25 July. It is going to be a busy, yet fulfilling summer I think.

Where is Laredo, on which Camino route? Enjoy the Rugby Championships. Europeans love to decry our American rules football for its violence. But, if you want to to see violence, watch a Rugby championship match... I do not know WHERE the players find the energy (must be all that beer). Personally, I agree with them. I much prefer football (soccer) to US rules football.

Buen Camino, my friend.

Similar problem, but with my car. My vet suggested applying the liquid flea meds to my dog and letting the dog sleep in my car for a night. It worked. I wonder if you can get flea meds for dogs in Spain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...
Seems to be a lot of people posting about stuff they lost on the Camino recently. I managed to leave a nice new-ish polo shirt somewhere drying and didn't notice for over a week. I hope someone...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back