• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First stop out of Lisbon, Camino Portuguese.

AndyForsey

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Franćes 2922
Hi one and all, have watched numerous YouTube videos of peregrines walking from Lisbon to Santiago, however no one seems to mention where they stopped on their first night.

I have both the John Brierly book and also the Ivar book, and have done loads of research, however I have seen on Google that some of the Albergues are flagged as permanently closed. Has anyone got updated info for this? Have you walked this route this year?
Thanks in advance.
Andy

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The route out of Lisbon is in the process of being changed, but as far as we know the new route is not quite ready. The albergue at Alpriate is permanently closed.

Alverca is an option for the first night as there are several accommodation options there, but that would be around 35km from the centre of Lisbon. I did this once but it’s a long first day.

To make it shorter, an option would be to walk 8km from the start of the route to the Parque das Nações area of Lisbon and stay the night there before continuing to Alverca the next day.

Another option is to use transport (eg train or Uber) at the end of the first day to get back (or forward) to accommodation, and then returning to where you left off the next morning.

The route out of Lisbon is in the process of being changed, but as far as we know the new route is not quite ready. The albergue at Alpriate is permanently closed.

Alverca is an option for the first night as there are several accommodation options there, but that would be around 35km from the centre of Lisbon. I did this once but it’s a long first day.

To make it shorter, an option would be to walk 8km from the start of the route to the Parque das Nações area of Lisbon and stay the night there before continuing to Alverca the next day.

Another option is to use transport (eg train or Uber) at the end of the first day to get back (or forward) to accommodation, and then returning to where you left off the next morning.
Thank you JungleBoy.
I have spotted an Airbnb in Póvoa, so may well try that one.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I saw a guy with a shell on the back of his pack today in Estoril. I tried to catch up with him but never could with my cane in hand. I wonder where he was headed? North or South?
Maybe he was just starting the Caminho do Mar to Fátima. Or maybe he was just lost! 🤣

Hi one and all, have watched numerous YouTube videos of peregrines walking from Lisbon to Santiago, however no one seems to mention where they stopped on their first night.

I have both the John Brierly book and also the Ivar book, and have done loads of research, however I have seen on Google that some of the Albergues are flagged as permanently closed. Has anyone got updated info for this? Have you walked this route this year?
Thanks in advance.
Andy
Hopefully the new path will be open for you.
This April I walked to the Vasco da Gama bridge on my day off in Lisbon ,took the train back . Next morning I decided to taxi to Alpriate and walk to Vila Franca where I had booked.
Painful start as the taxi driver had no idea where Alpriate was . He drove around for ages and finally asked his friend, truck driver. Back we went . Cost 50 euros then as it was Thursday the Alpriate cafe was closed not a good start. It was a wonderful Camino after that.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I took both a train and bus at a couple of stages before Santarem to keep the distances reasonable (for me). The first time, I returned to Lisbon, the next I stayed two nights in Santarem. The place I stayed in Santarem has since closed, but any place that will allow you to stay a couple of nights will work.

Thanks in advance.
Andy
Did that route in March. The town of Alverca has a residential named the Alfa 10. This is a standard Camino stop for many their first stop out of Lisbon.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We walked from Lisbon in May this year. First day, (actually day off) walked to Parque das Nacoes then metro back to Lisbon, 2nd day metro back to Parque das Nacoes and walked to Pavoa train station via Alpriate. Train to Vila Franca de Xira. Booked for two nights. Next day 'slack packed, ie left most things at hostel and walked with near empty packs) took train back to Pavoa and walked about 1k to rejoin camino (google maps) and walked back to Vila Franca. Train was very efficient. I have a blog on polarsteps if you are interested in our staging. Should be under www.polarsteps.com/LindaLeslie23 Happy planning and Bom caminho

Last edited:
We walked from Lisbon in May this year. First day, (actually day off) walked to Parque das Nacoes then metro back to Lisbon, 2nd day metro back to Parque das Nacoes and walked to Pavoa train station via Alpriate. Train to Vila Franca de Xira. Booked for two nights. Next day 'slack packed, ie left most things at hostel and walked with near empty packs) took train back to Pavoa and walked about 1k to rejoin camino (google maps) and walked back to Vila Franca. Train was very efficient. I have a blog on polarsteps if you are interested in our staging. Should be under www.polarsteps.com/LindaLeslie23 Happy planning and Bom caminho
Thank you Leslie!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you for introducing me to Polarsteps and linking to your blog. I have been looking for something to document and share my upcoming Camino (also starting in Lisbon) with family and friends. Just curious—did you run the app while walking each day, or did you just use the geolocation from the photos? I’m interested in tracking distance each day (along with the photos), but want to be cognizant of battery life on iPhone/Apple watch.

Hi Tsongz60, I just used the app each evenings to write it up and add photos. I did have to adjust the location sometimes when I got behind and had a day or two to catch up. Very easy to use. Only down side is your followers need to sign up to comment but can just read it going straight to your link. I had a whatsapp group where family and friends could comment if they hadn't signed up. Others on this forum will have more experience with it to share.

I stayed in Alfa 10 in Alverca de Ribatejo. €20 for a single room with shared bathroom. Set off from the Sé Cathedral about 11am. Got there around 6 after a rest in Alpriate. It obviously depends on fitness, but it is doable. There's no hills as such, the only problem is that stretch between Savacem and Granja where there's little shade which is obviously not good in the Portuguese heat. The new path is apparently avoiding this stretch and cutting around 5-7k off the distance, but from everything I've gathered, it's still not open as of mid August.

Bom Caminho

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Onsat
Did that route in March. The town of Alverca has a residential named the Alfa 10. This is a standard Camino stop for many their first stop out of Lisbon.
I stayed at Alfa 10 a couple days ago. It’s was decent, clean. My room did not have A/C if you care about that.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.