• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to make rain poncho visible

wynrich

Time of past OR future Camino
CF13, CF14, CP16, VF17, CN18, CN19, CF22, CE23
We just ordered an Altus poncho from https://www.tradeinn.com/trekkinn/en/altus-atmospheric-h30-poncho/139758343/p

Thanks to Trecile for giving us the above link for ordering from the US in this thread: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/to-poncho-or-not-poncho.74443/

The only color option we had at the site was blue which is a nice color but not very visible on a dark cloudy day. We're looking for suggestions about how to make ourselves visible for times we might need to do road walking.

I've ordered reflective tape from Amazon and used it on my backpack. It worked well there, but last year when I tried sticking that tape to our pack covers it wouldn't adhere at all. But maybe there is some kind that will?

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I saw this last year, it is sewn but effective. Maybe a large shell logo on a safety yellow-green pack cover could raise moneys for our favorite "Forum". I'll be sauntering through in late October to make another donation.

IMG_2918.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I know the search is on the Amazon US site. But many of these products are available in your country too:

FYI - the actual search term I used was: "1 inch adhesive reflective waterproof tape" For those of you in metric countries, consider changing 1 inch to 25 mm.

To apply the tape permanently, especially on waterproof and synthetic fabric, consider using a damp towel and a cool(ish) iron to set the adhesive well. Iron on a flat surface. DO NOT use the iron directly on the waterproof fabric and tape.

Note:
most commercial products with reflective tape affixed usually use a vertical line down the back of the outer covering (poncho or parka), or a horizontal line across the upper back.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The back of these ponchos has from memory a loop of elastic to tighten the hood.
take a short length of your reflective tape. Only peel off a small section of the backing and attach in a loop through the elastic to itself. You now have a non invasive reflector that will move about and catch the eye of those behind you as you move

The back of these ponchos has from memory a loop of elastic to tighten the hood.
take a short length of your reflective tape. Only peel off a small section of the backing and attach in a loop through the elastic to itself. You now have a non invasive reflector that will move about and catch the eye of those behind you as you move
I like this option - a lot - for those ponchos with a loop at the rear.

We purchased clip-on flasher lights used by runners and bikers and attached them to our packs whenever we were road walking. They are rather bright and numerous folks commented on their visibility. If you have a loop, you could attach it through that. Great to use even when it is not raining.IMG_20230912_212142.jpg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We purchased clip-on flasher lights used by runners and bikers and attached them to our packs whenever we were road walking. They are rather bright and numerous folks commented on their visibility. If you have a loop, you could attach it through that. Great to use even when it is not raining.View attachment 156300
Whilst that's not going to help with my poncho ( no loop) it's a great idea.
I met a young Spanish woman with a small button version of the same which she'd attached to the bottom of her poncho, very small, light weight and definitely eye catching as it also swung as she walked. Didn't think to ask how she'd attached it.
Thanks for reminding me!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We just ordered an Altus poncho from https://www.tradeinn.com/trekkinn/en/altus-atmospheric-h30-poncho/139758343/p

Thanks to Trecile for giving us the above link for ordering from the US in this thread: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/to-poncho-or-not-poncho.74443/

The only color option we had at the site was blue which is a nice color but not very visible on a dark cloudy day. We're looking for suggestions about how to make ourselves visible for times we might need to do road walking.

I've ordered reflective tape from Amazon and used it on my backpack. It worked well there, but last year when I tried sticking that tape to our pack covers it wouldn't adhere at all. But maybe there is some kind that will?

Any advice would be most appreciated.
I have used the iron on tape mentioned by someone else. It is relatively cheap however it will diminish after several washings and then leaves like a weird stain, you can reapply, but it doesn't look nice (make sure you use a thick piece of material between the iron and your fabric). I made a sort of sash out of a reflective vest from a construction job that packs down very small and I can just drape it over my pack and one shoulder. It is pretty narrow but really stands out when headlights hit it. I have had neighbors compliment the effectiveness while I was training for my Caminos in the late evenings and early mornings.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I made a sort of sash out of a reflective vest from a construction job that packs down very small and I can just drape it over my pack and one shoulder. It is pretty narrow but really stands out when headlights hit it. I have had neighbors compliment the effectiveness while I was training for my Caminos in the late evenings and early mornings.
This is similar to what we have decided to do. I bought some hi-viz nylon fabric and put an elastic drawstring through one long edge so it can be worn kind of like a little apron when needed. (It's 7 or 8 inches wide, I think.) In this photo, it wraps all the way around to the back around the backpack. We also bought some reflective bands to put around our arms and ankles. I appreciate everyone's feedback. (Leave for Camino del Norte a week from today!)

Attachments

• PXL_20240324_222533992.jpg
    PXL_20240324_222533992.jpg
    343.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Might I caution, if you’re not in the US, clicking on an Amazon.com link can result in fifteen minutes of finding your glasses, navigating Amazons terminally unhelpful ‘help’ and trying to convince a bot that you’ve not relocated transatlantically before normal service is resumed..

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.