• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I am new, excited, and equally nervous.

J Walking

Time of past OR future Camino
2022 C.F from SJPP / 2023 C.P. from Porto
My biggest concerns are the unknowns: will I succeed; blisters; senior age group. My husband and I plan to begin our first Camino in May 2022. The forum has provided a plethora [don't you love that word! ;-) ] of information that will help us plan and (hopefully) succeed. I am a retired sign language interpreter (ASL - American Sign Language). Thank you Ivar and Moderators.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Welcome to the forum! I see that you have successfully added your post to the Calendar. Where do you plan to start? Maybe you would also like to add it to the list of people starting in May - on to this thread.

Yes, the unknowns are always concerns, but they are also the attraction! Each of us needs to find the right balance. What you think of in advance, as "success," may not be the important part. If you take on the challenge, enjoy the process, and learn from it, then you have succeeded - whether or not you walk every step of your planned journey.

"senior age group" - Is this something I should know about? 🤣

Feel free to ask about any little detail of your plans!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My biggest concerns are the unknowns: will I succeed; blisters; senior age group. My husband and I plan to begin our first Camino in May 2022. The forum has provided a plethora [don't you love that word! ;-) ] of information that will help us plan and (hopefully) succeed. I am a retired sign language interpreter (ASL - American Sign Language). Thank you Ivar and Moderators.
Welcome to the Forum!

May sounds lovely!
Personally I believe some screaming teenagers on the Camino could use some ASL. But that's another story.
From where are you starting? How many weeks are you planning?

Buen Camino!

Personally I believe some screaming teenagers on the Camino could use some ASL. But that's another story.
Funny!

We will be starting at SJPP May 7. We received a very kind and friendly response to our request to stay overnight at Auberge Borda. We hope to meet up with our son in Sarria and complete the Camino in the middle of June.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Plan and prepare as best you can and this forum is perfect for that purpose. After you planned and prepared and you are starting your walk out of SJPP just take things as they come. Whatever happens just let it happen and then deal with it as best you can. There will always be help available from fellow pilgrims or in the Albergue or in the nearest Farmacia.... The Camino really does provide as you will discover. And whatever happens you will enjoy telling all your friends about it when you get back. Step out of your comfort zone onto the Camino and you will never look back.

It’s much more straightforward than many appreciate.

Many years ago when first travelling by car to the continent (I’m British) I was to use the channel tunnel for the first time. I did the research. I knew which exit to take from the motorway, I googled the plan of the terminal, I found the precise order in which to present the documentation, I printed several copies of the tickets.

On the day, when I got within 50 miles of the terminal there was a sign over the motorway which said - in block capitals ‘FRANCE THIS WAY’. And that’s all that was needed; I followed the arrow and an hour later I was in France; but until I’d done it the first time, I wouldn’t have believed it could be so simple.

My biggest concerns are the unknowns:

Welcome @J Walking! The nerves and concerns about the unknown are normal, as I'm sure you've seen in the plethora of posts here. :D

I find that once I get the first day of walking under my belt, it's much easier to relax and enjoy the journey. But - enjoy all the planning and Buen Camino!
I agree with Faith. After your first day or two the majority of your concerns and angst will most likely "melt away"; that was my personal experience.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Welcome, @J Walking!
My biggest concerns are the unknowns: will I succeed;
Success means so many things, and often what didn't come to mind at first.

Not to dismiss your angst, but as others have said, it's normal (and surprisingly unimporant in the end).

The camino is a long walk, and one that won't be without (perhaps significant) discomfort. That's guaranteed. It's also a delight. Each of those balances the other. And while the specifics are unknown, that big picture is not a mystery.

Enjoy the planning, feel the angst but don't give it the driver's seat, and this place is here if you have any questions - or just want to share how your pre-camino camino is going.
Buen camino!

I am a retired sign language interpreter (ASL - American Sign Language).
Personally I believe some screaming teenagers on the Camino could use some ASL
🤣
Haha. Yeah, BP.

One of my fondest memories of a crowded last few stages on the Camino Frances one year was a group of teens and twenty-somethings from Ireland. Like people that age anywhere, they were exuberant and rambunctious, and being Irish they were talking nonstop as they walked.

But they were Deaf, so it was a delight to be around them. I could enjoy their energy and joy without any of the unpleasant din that hearing kids impose on the rest of us. 😉 Here they are near the end, still full of joy in spite of awful weather. They wanted me to pose for a photo with them by the statue and I was...'Are you kidding?'. They couldn't have cared less. 😍
Arca de Pino-Santiago de Compostela (25).JPG
When we went to Mass in the Cathedral they were all together in the front near the altar, and there was a more than normally joyful vibe that day.

Welcome, J Walking, we will hopefully be two days behind you on the CF, as we are planning to leave St Jean on the 9th, May. We plan to arrive in St Jean on the 7th, May, but you will already be half way up the mountain enjoying Auberge Borda, where we will be on the 9th, May! We probably won't catch up with you along the way as we are going to take it slower this time, planning on arriving in Santiago on the 23rd, June.
We wish you both a wonderful Camino. We both had worries and concerns before our first Camino in 2014, but they disappeared very quickly once we were walking and as you can see we haven't stopped walking since! We had planned to go to Spain again last year to walk the CF but that didn't happen, so we are very eager to go next year. We are also in the senior age group! ;) 🤣
Buen Camino, Anne & Pat

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Everyone is nervous going into a long-distance walk. It’s natural. I still experience trepidation going into one after 5000 miles plus of hiking. Just be smart. Keep pack weight to the absolute minimum. You can always buy along the way whatever else you find you need. Make sure your shoes fit well. Boots aren’t meant for hiking, are overkill, and the source of many blisters. The Caminos aren’t mountain climbing. Do some research on weather beforehand: https://weatherspark.com/. Enjoy.

Funny!

We will be starting at SJPP May 7. We received a very kind and friendly response to our request to stay overnight at Auberge Borda. We hope to meet up with our son in Sarria and complete the Camino in the middle of June.
Sounds perfect. And don't worry about being nervous, excited or new. I was all three in 2020 and desperately wanted to be excited, nervous and not quite so new in 2021, but life had other ideas. Hoping to be those in 2022 and this time, with my grandson (also in the slightly senior category).

I am looking forward to the camino, I am lea on 15th April from ireland and will start in Leon. Can't wait Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Enjoy, this is a Fantastic Journey. My wife and I walked the French Way in 2015 and Porto in 2017. The French way was 800 K (500m). I was 65 at the time and didn't have any real issues. Shin splints around Burgos, no big deal. Be aware that if there's a Hill you will walk over it, and if there is a church you will walk past it. We laughed, sang and cried(tears of joy).
Buen Camino.

Funny!

Hola. I'm starting my second Frances on May 9. I'll keep an eye out for your fuchsia hat!! Buen Camino!!

Reading your post was like going back in time four or five years... the excitement and anticipation combined with the same unknowns/concerns. In early May 2017 we began from SJPDP and finished around the 15th of June or so, after opting to take the train across the mesa due to a 40 degree heat wave. Even now, there is not a day goes by that I do not remember something from our Camino experience. We had to cut short a second Camino in 2019 after about 10 days due to a family emergency.
My partner is now in her early 70s and we are looking forward to the day when we can once again walk out from SJPDP. Physically, we have a couple of new challenges that we didn't have a few years ago but that's life. Day by day, decisions can be made that enable you: how far you walk, whether or not you carry your pack, use public transportation for a segment, have a rest day (or some very short walking days), etc. One step, one village, one hill, one day at a time :)

Reading Aidan21's reply to you was like me sending my 2017 self a message! So I heartily endorse his advice for you, and for us!
"Plan and prepare as best you can and this forum is perfect for that purpose. After you planned and prepared and you are starting your walk out of SJPP just take things as they come. Whatever happens just let it happen and then deal with it as best you can. There will always be help available from fellow pilgrims or in the Albergue or in the nearest Farmacia.... The Camino really does provide as you will discover. And whatever happens you will enjoy telling all your friends about it when you get back. Step out of your comfort zone onto the Camino and you will never look back."

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Welcome @J Walking!

Don't let the unknowns bother you as they will enliven your experience. (Hard to find joy of discovery in the familiar, eh?)

Don't let your age bother you as it is virtually guaranteed you will see many older than you.

Pull up a chair and browse away...

And, BTW, thank you for using "plethora"...it means a lot. 🤣

B
haha... I just watched the 3 amigos movie again, and there is a hilarious part where the leader uses the word," plethora" and one of his guys agrees, and then gets a scolding for using a word he doesn't know the meaning of.. You have to just watch it,, hilarious!

Sounds perfect. And don't worry about being nervous, excited or new. I was all three in 2020 and desperately wanted to be excited, nervous and not quite so new in 2021, but life had other ideas. Hoping to be those in 2022 and this time, with my grandson (also in the slightly senior category).
oh my, at first I thought you meant your grandson was also in the slightly senior category, and I'm trying to figure out how old you might be!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
May 2022 is also our first Camino and I couldn't be more excited. The only concern is IF the international borders close again due to the increasing spike of the virus. Coming from Australia, it is not so easy to hop from one country to another to reach Europe so I'm praying for our trip to go as planned.

Best wishes and good luck on your journey. My suggestion is to not overthink or overplan things; it doesn't matter if you don't achieve everything you set out to do. Look about you, look up and if you see something that looks interesting take the time to go and look at it. Oh and listen to what your body tells you. Ultreïa.

Hola. I'm starting my second Frances on May 9. I'll keep an eye out for your fuchsia hat!! Buen Camino!!
Thank you all! You have showered me sage advice, uplifting encouragement, and such kindness.
I have heard the quote that "The Camino provides". It already has . . . it has shared all of you with this rookie.

That bright fuchsia hat may definately help you connect.
A forum member who heard I would be walking the Frances at the same time mentioned that he would be wearing a "Life is Good" hat should I happen to see him on the Way. I thought there was no way that would happen, but sure enough on the Ibaneta pass a man started chatting as I was resting on a rock after the climb and I noticed that hat. I asked if he was @jpflavin1 from the Camino forum and yep, he was! Small world sometimes, isn't it.🙂

Last edited:
Best wishes and God bless you. The journey will give you many things. Pure joy, maybe some tears, incredible scenery, people and places. Each step you take, each day you stop to rest brings new beginnings and revelations. Breathe it all in and the smile will never leave you.

€46,-
😀 You will do fine if you do not carry too much luggage, walk your own pace, take care of your feet and listen to your body (take a break when needed). Itineries are only suggestions of your daily route… you are free to change when you feel like it 😀

I have just read your post, none of the replies. You ask a question and you use the word plethora. Yes, I do love that word! I wish you a plethora of wonderful and valuable experiences when it is your time to walk your camino!

Funny!

I stayed at Auberge Borda in September and I must say it was everything I hoped it would be, I found it a great way to enjoy those first couple of days and the host Laurent was fantastic so enjoy your Camino and take the time to breath it all in, buen camino

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
I have just read your post, none of the replies. You ask a question and you use the word plethora. Yes, I do love that word! I wish you a plethora of wonderful and valuable experiences when it is your time to walk your camino!
Words are wonderful but I think @kirkie has highlighted one of the most important “YOUR” camino, everyone has advice and opinions but only you can decide. I planned so much and read lots of advice, guide books and journals that when I started on the Frances I knew I had the perfect plan laid out in front of me…but fates conspired and circumstance stuck it’s oar in and I had to pause MY camino I’ll return in the spring but this time it will be very different I’ll be taking notes on what I’ve done not how my plans went so remember this one’s yours enjoy

That bright fuchsia hat may definately help you connect.
A forum member who heard I would be walking the Frances at the same time mentioned that he would be wearing a "Life is Good" hat should I happen to see him on the Way. I thought there was no way that would happen, but sure enough on the Ibaneta pass a man started chatting as I was resting on a rock after the climb and I noticed that hat. I asked if he was @jpflavin1 from the Camino forum and yep, he was! Small world sometimes, isn't it.🙂
Coincidence...or not?

I stayed at Auberge Borda in September and I must say it was everything I hoped it would be, I found it a great way to enjoy those first couple of days and the host Laurent was fantastic so enjoy your Camino and take the time to breath it all in, buen camino
. . . And I only knew about the Auberge Borda because it was mentioned so highly here on the forum. I think last year might have been their first or second year open?

€46,-
My biggest concerns are the unknowns: will I succeed

Six years ago I had much the same qualms: encapsulated with in the expression "would I fall over on the first day?" and have to return home "with my tail between my legs".

Some suggestions, If I may, for your consideration. These come from my four years of training before starting out and from the time since my first footfall in Le Puy-en-Velay in April 2016.

My plan was to be like the tortoise that (almost) didn't stop, once started for the day.

My training included working up to achieving 30 km per day with all the gear I would carry. This also helped to shake down what was necessary.

I quickly found to dress for the middle of the day and not for the apparent chill first thing in the morning. Fingers were my most sensitive part and so I wore gloves: put them in side pockets as soon as they were not needed. Typically I started with a short sleeve merino top - if the wind was supper strong I would add either a long sleeve merino top or a parka (rain and wind-proof. )A fourth layer, if needed, was a below the knee rain coat with hood.) When I eventually started from Saint-Jean (on the 1,200 metre elevation gain) I saw so many pilgrims stop, take off their pack, take off their long sleeve tops and put them in the pack, pull out a short sleeve top, dress, close up the pack and carry on, possibly getting a chill while stopped.

Another thing I found from my training was, as the way ahead steepened, to shorten my step - the steeper the gradient the shorter my step - on the steepest sections the heel of one foot barely got to halfway along the other foot - and breath in on one foot fall and out on the other. While slow to me, I noticed I passed so many and was passed by so few that morning.

Of course, that is what worked for me: you will develop what works for you.

I wish you and your husband well, saying kia kaha, kia māia, kia manawanui (be strong, confident and patient).

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Don't be nervous you will do great. I was 70 when I walked from SJPdP to SDC in 2017. I walk by myself but made many friends. I enjoyed the freedom of walking at my pace and going where/when I pleased. But, also, I enjoyed the company of other pilgrims. I found albergues to be a large part of my experience. I plan to be a volunteer hospitalero in Ponferrada at the municipal albergue in either late May or early June. Maybe we will meet and I can share some stories with you and your husband and hear some of yours. Buen Camino

I found albergues to be a large part of my experience. I plan to be a volunteer hospitalero in Ponferrada at the municipal albergue in either late May or early June. Maybe we will meet
It would be our pleasure!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.