A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Camino Forum Donation

I didn't walk the whole Camino Ingles....

Theresa Brandon

Artist, photographer, dreamer
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Inglés (2018)
I started the Camino Ingles last month with some dear friends, but soon found out the hills were too much for me. (I have asthma and had not trained on hills here in Illinois. In fact, I hadn't anticipated the hills being so steep and long, nor how it would affect my asthma). After the first few days of trying to keep up and having my friends wait patiently so often, I decided to start taking taxis ahead each day, then walking back along the Camino (which is a little tricky), finding a spot to paint for the day and waiting until my friends met up with me to walk into town together. And it was awesome - I had plenty of time to paint and to take photographs, spend time alone and with my friends. While my journey was not what I had planned, my sketchbook became my personal credencial. I did walk the last 7 k into Santiago with my friends, which was absolutely lovely. After a day in Santiago we took the bus to Muxia to watch the sun set over the ocean, then back to Santiago for one last day capped by the rooftop tour of the Cathedral in the evening.

Spending many months reading posts on this forum, gave me the courage to create "my own Camino" and I wouldn't change one single thing! art11.jpg 42397480_10216481951897038_9212567750268944384_o.jpg 42572529_10216503697760671_3092804463790915584_o.jpg art5.jpg 42399787_10216491662219790_1499234132251639808_o.jpg
and a link to my photos:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/EsVBy4htdW46T13U6

Last edited:

SabineP

Camino = Empathy + Compassion.
Camino(s) past & future
some and then more. see my signature.
I started the Camino Ingles last month with some dear friends, but soon found out the hills were too much for me. (I have asthma and had not trained on hills here in Illinois. In fact, I hadn't anticipated the hills being so steep and long, nor how it would affect my asthma). After the first few days of trying to keep up and having my friends wait patiently so often, I decided to start taking taxis ahead each day, then walking back along the Camino (which is a little tricky), finding a spot to paint for the day and waiting until my friends met up with me to walk into town together. And it was awesome - I had plenty of time to paint and to take photographs, spend time alone and with my friends. While my journey was not what I had planned, my sketchbook became my personal credencial. I did walk the last 7 k into Santiago with my friends, which was absolutely lovely. After a day in Santiago we took the bus to Muxia to watch the sun set over the ocean, then back to Santiago for one last day capped by the rooftop tour of the Cathedral in the evening.

Spending many months reading posts on this forum, gave me the courage to create "my own Camino" and I wouldn't change one single thing!
What a happy post Theresa!
Why making yourself miserable and ill when you can handle it like you did.
And when seeing your avatar I can only imagine your sketches are nothing but gorgeous.

And yes that hill out of Pontedeume is brutal.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances from SJPdP May/June, 2018
I Love your creativity, adaptability and positive attitude. You appear to have adapted and then thrived on your camino with tranquility and gracefulness. This is such a beautiful and inspirational example of making the most of one's situation. I feel lucky to have heard your story, thanks for sharing it.

the link to your pictures did not work for me in Safari or Chrome...got the same 404 error from both but I'll try again later...can't wait to see them!

Peter Fransiscus

Do good and good will come to you.
Camino(s) past & future
All that we are is the result of what we have thought.

Spending many months reading posts on this forum, gave me the courage to create "my own Camino" and I wouldn't change one single thing! View attachment 48164 View attachment 48165 View attachment 48166 View attachment 48167 View attachment 48168
and a link to my photos:
Hi Theresa.
So beautyfull and wonderful , you can be proud.
Wish you well , Peter .

Camino(s) past & future
2012, 2015 ,2017

Spending many months reading posts on this forum, gave me the courage to create "my own Camino" and I wouldn't change one single thing! View attachment 48164 View attachment 48165 View attachment 48166 View attachment 48167 View attachment 48168
and a link to my photos:
How beautiful and happy for you that you found the Camino ment for you.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2014), Camino Inca (2015), Primitivo (2017), Portugues (2018), Finisterre (2018)
Thanks for the information. I am hoping to do the Ingles, and I also have asthma, so it is a good heads-up for me. Your pictures are incredible - what a lovely way to remember your Camino!

Theresa Brandon

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Inglés (2018)
Thanks for the information. I am hoping to do the Ingles, and I also have asthma, so it is a good heads-up for me. Your pictures are incredible - what a lovely way to remember your Camino!
I am trying something new for me - I ordered an Expand A Lung device from Amazon. I think I would also check with my physician before my next Camino to see if I need to adjust my medicines at all to help with the breathing. And climb more stairs and hills at home!

falcon269

no commercial interests
Camino(s) past & future
yes
Fitness is quite important, but you may have to resign yourself to asthma preventing you from walking caminos "the regular way." If you can't, you can't. Be content with what YOU can do and don't worry about what OTHERS can do! Have fun (and it looks like you do with your artwork).:)

Camino(s) past & future
August 2017
April 2018

and a link to my photos:
Go you for your walk. Also you have a real talent with the brushes. God bless.

Camino(s) past & future
I have walked part of the Camino Frances and plan to start over in April 2018.

and a link to my photos:
Me gusta! Good for you!

bbates225

Camino(s) past & future
June/July (2017) Camino Frances (couldn't finish)
June/July (2019) Complete Astorga to Santiago

and a link to my photos:
Absolutely beautiful. You turned what could have been a big negative into an absolute positive. So happy for you.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Portugués...April/May (2014)
Camino Ingles..........Sept. (2015)
What a delightful story....well done. I stopped short by 40Km due to some health problems from the exertion but will return to finish it. The picture from Neda was immediately recognizable., and your photo album, fantastic.

Camino(s) past & future
CF-Finisterra-Muxia 2017; SK Camino Kosiče-Levoča 2017; Norte Mar’18; Ingles Nov’18; VDLP Mar’19

and a link to my photos:

and a link to my photos:
I’m very jealous given I don’t have any artistic talent as such. Each Camino is what it is and I think yours was very successful. Maybe try a flatter route next time .

Camino(s) past & future
Cam Frances SJPDP to Santiago ('17): Finisterre ('17); Muxia ('17)
Camino Portuguese - April ('19)

and a link to my photos:

Camino(s) past & future
Cam Frances SJPDP to Santiago ('17): Finisterre ('17); Muxia ('17)
Camino Portuguese - April ('19)
Watercolors are so unforgiving. I am in awe of your ability to capture the essence of each vignette so beautifully. Loved the photo of what you were painting and your rendering next to it. What incredible talent! I am feeling inspired to get my paints wet! Thank you for sharing your acceptance of an "altered camino". Your way was so memorable in many other ways. Often many of us pass through areas without really stopping to look and reflect.

domigee

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF(x4), Fisterra/Muxía(x2), VdlP, Jerusalem, VF, Walsingham,
C inglés. 2019? Who knows! ;-)
Loved your post and also the responses to it!
Well done and congratulations :)

Theresa Brandon

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Inglés (2018)
Finished sketches, accordion fold watercolor book (Pentalic Dreamcatcher), 4" x 6", watercolor, Micron pen, watersoluble pencil, opaque markers, ball point pen (after I lost my brush and wore the Micron out!) Kindly ignore any spelling errors and wonky calligraphy. There is a slight pinkish cast to the scans. 2smallfinal.jpg 3smallfinal.jpg 4smallfinal.jpg 5smallfinal.jpg 6smallfinal.jpg 7smallfinal.jpg 8smallfinal.jpg 9smallfinal.jpg 10smallfinal.jpg

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
Samos-Santiago (2015 & 2016)
Porto-Santiago (2017)
Kumano Kodo (March 2018)
Ferrol-Santiago 2019
These are beautiful and I’m so happy for you! A visual journal is such a wonderful way to capture so much, that can can be shared with others.

Thank you so much for sharing!

Stephen Nicholls

Steve Nicholls, Suffolk, U.K.
Camino(s) past & future
Too many caminos to list in the permitted 100 characters!!
Lovely drawings! A truly lasting memory of the camino.
Don't despair .... always walk at your own pace. I often caused companions to stop and wait for me until I realised it was better to do it by myself, at my own pace ... and maybe meet up with my "camino family" in the evenings.
Theresa - I hope you are encouraged to walk another camino one day. If in doubt, check all the caminos on this wonderful web site - or even personally contact one of us for help and suggestions. I plan to walk my 'final' camino next April when I shall be 80.
God bless you, and keep you......

Fromista

Camino(s) past & future
I walked once

and a link to my photos:
So your journey was to draw those wonderful pictures then...

Laura Blue

Camino(s) past & future
Saria to SDC 2014 - SDC to Muxia 2015 - planned Porto to SDC coastal March 2016
Amazing your pictures really capture the area, I don't have a artistic bone in my body, just a plodder one foot in front of the other.

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Contemplating yet another "final" Camino
but 2019?
Finished sketches, accordion fold watercolor book (Pentalic Dreamcatcher), 4" x 6", watercolor, Micron pen, watersoluble pencil, opaque markers, ball point pen (after I lost my brush and wore the Micron out!) Kindly ignore any spelling errors and wonky calligraphy. There is a slight pinkish cast to the scans. View attachment 48301 View attachment 48302 View attachment 48303 View attachment 48304 View attachment 48305 View attachment 48306 View attachment 48307 View attachment 48308 View attachment 48309
Beautifully executed - a rare talent. Thank you for sharing.
Better luck on your next Camino!

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances from SJPdP May/June, 2018
The slower you walk the more detail and richness you experience in each new scene you come upon. The degree of intimacy one experiences with people, objects and the environment is inversely related to the speed one travels through them. You saw more in terms of depth and less in terms of scope…and it was just the opposite for those of us doing 30 km per day. I look at one of my pictures and see “everything” there is to see in 5 seconds. I look at your picture of the same object and see a story that captivates me for 5 minutes.

Theresa Brandon

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Inglés (2018)
The slower you walk the more detail and richness you experience in each new scene you come upon. The degree of intimacy one experiences with people, objects and the environment is inversely related to the speed one travels through them. You saw more in terms of depth and less in terms of scope…and it was just the opposite for those of us doing 30 km per day. I look at one of my pictures and see “everything” there is to see in 5 seconds. I look at your picture of the same object and see a story that captivates me for 5 minutes.
What a great perspective! Thank you!

Each Camino is our own, of our own making. I have attempted the CF twice now. It has taken more than two years to determine what I need to do to get myself well enough to return, which I will. I will, with diminished ability, begin my Camino in Ireland next, then finish with the Camino Ingles. For me, now, it matters not how many days it takes.

And, though I have not made it to SdC the way I felt I should have, I decided that I will not visit the Cathedral until I do make it there the way I require of myself. Just me.

Thornley

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances [08 ]Portuguese [09 ]Le Puy[10] Norte[ 11] Madrid [12] Figeac - Pamplona [13] Mont Saint Michel - Bordeaux / St Palais - Pamplona [14] Moissac -Burgos [15] , Norte to Oviedo and then Primitivo [16]
Le Puy to Moissac and Dax to Santo Domingo
You nailed it Theresa,
Feel very proud.

Laura Blue

Camino(s) past & future
Saria to SDC 2014 - SDC to Muxia 2015 - planned Porto to SDC coastal March 2016
I think it must be a bit like having a baby, when I first heard the comment about the hills, I thought what hills? Later the memories came back!

Drew1578

Camino(s) past & future
November (18)
Wow - that is so incredible! I'm walking the Ingles in May and was thinking of taking a journal to sketch in... whether I do it or not I just want to have one on me. Thanks for the inspiration.
- Drew

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (16,'17,'18)
Finisterre/Muxia( '17, '18)
Portuguese Central & Coastal ('18)

and a link to my photos:

and a link to my photos:
Theresa, what stunning art and what I love is that it was created on the Camino. You truly walked your Camino, your way, as for each of us. Thank you for sharing. Ultreia, Irene

Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2006) portugues(2013)San Salvador (2017)
Thanks, Theresa. Beautiful and unique style. Also, confirms my guess on how hilly it is... hmm! Thinking of trying it as next camino.

OLDER threads on this topic

Book your lodging here

Booking.com

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 11 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 35 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 126 15.4%
  • May

Votes: 199 24.3%