• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I didn't walk the whole Camino Ingles....

Theresa Brandon

Artist, photographer, dreamer
Time of past OR future Camino
Inglés '18, Ingles '19, Ingles '22, Portugues '22
I started the Camino Ingles last month with some dear friends, but soon found out the hills were too much for me. (I have asthma and had not trained on hills here in Illinois. In fact, I hadn't anticipated the hills being so steep and long, nor how it would affect my asthma). After the first few days of trying to keep up and having my friends wait patiently so often, I decided to start taking taxis ahead each day, then walking back along the Camino (which is a little tricky), finding a spot to paint for the day and waiting until my friends met up with me to walk into town together. And it was awesome - I had plenty of time to paint and to take photographs, spend time alone and with my friends. While my journey was not what I had planned, my sketchbook became my personal credencial. I did walk the last 7 k into Santiago with my friends, which was absolutely lovely. After a day in Santiago we took the bus to Muxia to watch the sun set over the ocean, then back to Santiago for one last day capped by the rooftop tour of the Cathedral in the evening.

Spending many months reading posts on this forum, gave me the courage to create "my own Camino" and I wouldn't change one single thing!art11.jpg42397480_10216481951897038_9212567750268944384_o.jpg42572529_10216503697760671_3092804463790915584_o.jpgart5.jpg42399787_10216491662219790_1499234132251639808_o.jpg
and a link to my photos:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/EsVBy4htdW46T13U6

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I started the Camino Ingles last month with some dear friends, but soon found out the hills were too much for me. (I have asthma and had not trained on hills here in Illinois. In fact, I hadn't anticipated the hills being so steep and long, nor how it would affect my asthma). After the first few days of trying to keep up and having my friends wait patiently so often, I decided to start taking taxis ahead each day, then walking back along the Camino (which is a little tricky), finding a spot to paint for the day and waiting until my friends met up with me to walk into town together. And it was awesome - I had plenty of time to paint and to take photographs, spend time alone and with my friends. While my journey was not what I had planned, my sketchbook became my personal credencial. I did walk the last 7 k into Santiago with my friends, which was absolutely lovely. After a day in Santiago we took the bus to Muxia to watch the sun set over the ocean, then back to Santiago for one last day capped by the rooftop tour of the Cathedral in the evening.

Spending many months reading posts on this forum, gave me the courage to create "my own Camino" and I wouldn't change one single thing!

What a happy post Theresa!
Why making yourself miserable and ill when you can handle it like you did.
And when seeing your avatar I can only imagine your sketches are nothing but gorgeous.

And yes that hill out of Pontedeume is brutal.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I Love your creativity, adaptability and positive attitude. You appear to have adapted and then thrived on your camino with tranquility and gracefulness. This is such a beautiful and inspirational example of making the most of one's situation. I feel lucky to have heard your story, thanks for sharing it.

the link to your pictures did not work for me in Safari or Chrome...got the same 404 error from both but I'll try again later...can't wait to see them!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Spending many months reading posts on this forum, gave me the courage to create "my own Camino" and I wouldn't change one single thing!View attachment 48164View attachment 48165View attachment 48166View attachment 48167View attachment 48168
and a link to my photos:
Hi Theresa.
So beautyfull and wonderful , you can be proud.
Wish you well , Peter .

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Spending many months reading posts on this forum, gave me the courage to create "my own Camino" and I wouldn't change one single thing!View attachment 48164View attachment 48165View attachment 48166View attachment 48167View attachment 48168
and a link to my photos:
How beautiful and happy for you that you found the Camino ment for you.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks for the information. I am hoping to do the Ingles, and I also have asthma, so it is a good heads-up for me. Your pictures are incredible - what a lovely way to remember your Camino!

I am trying something new for me - I ordered an Expand A Lung device from Amazon. I think I would also check with my physician before my next Camino to see if I need to adjust my medicines at all to help with the breathing. And climb more stairs and hills at home!

Fitness is quite important, but you may have to resign yourself to asthma preventing you from walking caminos "the regular way." If you can't, you can't. Be content with what YOU can do and don't worry about what OTHERS can do! Have fun (and it looks like you do with your artwork).:)

€46,-

and a link to my photos:
Go you for your walk. Also you have a real talent with the brushes. God bless.

and a link to my photos:
Me gusta! Good for you!

and a link to my photos:

Absolutely beautiful. You turned what could have been a big negative into an absolute positive. So happy for you.

What a delightful story....well done. I stopped short by 40Km due to some health problems from the exertion but will return to finish it. The picture from Neda was immediately recognizable., and your photo album, fantastic.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

and a link to my photos:

and a link to my photos:

I’m very jealous given I don’t have any artistic talent as such. Each Camino is what it is and I think yours was very successful. Maybe try a flatter route next time .

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

and a link to my photos:

Watercolors are so unforgiving. I am in awe of your ability to capture the essence of each vignette so beautifully. Loved the photo of what you were painting and your rendering next to it. What incredible talent! I am feeling inspired to get my paints wet! Thank you for sharing your acceptance of an "altered camino". Your way was so memorable in many other ways. Often many of us pass through areas without really stopping to look and reflect.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Finished sketches, accordion fold watercolor book (Pentalic Dreamcatcher), 4" x 6", watercolor, Micron pen, watersoluble pencil, opaque markers, ball point pen (after I lost my brush and wore the Micron out!) Kindly ignore any spelling errors and wonky calligraphy. There is a slight pinkish cast to the scans.2smallfinal.jpg3smallfinal.jpg4smallfinal.jpg5smallfinal.jpg6smallfinal.jpg7smallfinal.jpg8smallfinal.jpg9smallfinal.jpg10smallfinal.jpg

Last edited:
These are beautiful and I’m so happy for you! A visual journal is such a wonderful way to capture so much, that can can be shared with others.

Thank you so much for sharing!

Lovely drawings! A truly lasting memory of the camino.
Don't despair .... always walk at your own pace. I often caused companions to stop and wait for me until I realised it was better to do it by myself, at my own pace ... and maybe meet up with my "camino family" in the evenings.
Theresa - I hope you are encouraged to walk another camino one day. If in doubt, check all the caminos on this wonderful web site - or even personally contact one of us for help and suggestions. I plan to walk my 'final' camino next April when I shall be 80.
God bless you, and keep you......

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

and a link to my photos:
So your journey was to draw those wonderful pictures then...

Amazing your pictures really capture the area, I don't have a artistic bone in my body, just a plodder one foot in front of the other.

Finished sketches, accordion fold watercolor book (Pentalic Dreamcatcher), 4" x 6", watercolor, Micron pen, watersoluble pencil, opaque markers, ball point pen (after I lost my brush and wore the Micron out!) Kindly ignore any spelling errors and wonky calligraphy. There is a slight pinkish cast to the scans.View attachment 48301View attachment 48302View attachment 48303View attachment 48304View attachment 48305View attachment 48306View attachment 48307View attachment 48308View attachment 48309
Beautifully executed - a rare talent. Thank you for sharing.
Better luck on your next Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The slower you walk the more detail and richness you experience in each new scene you come upon. The degree of intimacy one experiences with people, objects and the environment is inversely related to the speed one travels through them. You saw more in terms of depth and less in terms of scope…and it was just the opposite for those of us doing 30 km per day. I look at one of my pictures and see “everything” there is to see in 5 seconds. I look at your picture of the same object and see a story that captivates me for 5 minutes.

The slower you walk the more detail and richness you experience in each new scene you come upon. The degree of intimacy one experiences with people, objects and the environment is inversely related to the speed one travels through them. You saw more in terms of depth and less in terms of scope…and it was just the opposite for those of us doing 30 km per day. I look at one of my pictures and see “everything” there is to see in 5 seconds. I look at your picture of the same object and see a story that captivates me for 5 minutes.
What a great perspective! Thank you!

Each Camino is our own, of our own making. I have attempted the CF twice now. It has taken more than two years to determine what I need to do to get myself well enough to return, which I will. I will, with diminished ability, begin my Camino in Ireland next, then finish with the Camino Ingles. For me, now, it matters not how many days it takes.

And, though I have not made it to SdC the way I felt I should have, I decided that I will not visit the Cathedral until I do make it there the way I require of myself. Just me.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I think it must be a bit like having a baby, when I first heard the comment about the hills, I thought what hills? Later the memories came back!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Wow - that is so incredible! I'm walking the Ingles in May and was thinking of taking a journal to sketch in... whether I do it or not I just want to have one on me. Thanks for the inspiration.
- Drew

and a link to my photos:

and a link to my photos:
Theresa, what stunning art and what I love is that it was created on the Camino. You truly walked your Camino, your way, as for each of us. Thank you for sharing. Ultreia, Irene

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks, Theresa. Beautiful and unique style. Also, confirms my guess on how hilly it is... hmm! Thinking of trying it as next camino.

Postscript: I went back 6 months later (2019) with one of my original companions and did the Ingles from La Coruna (after completing 25K at home). Day 2 had a really long climb but we did it and safely and jubilantly made it to Santiago a few days later.

Further Camino plans got altered by Covid, but this year (2022) I did the Ingles from Ferrol again, completely, with my 74 year old Aunt. This fall I did the Portugues with my original Camino group, from Porto along the Senda Litoral and the Variant Espiritual.

I've done sketchbooks for each Camino, and my sketch kit is the first thing I pack.

Postscript: I went back 6 months later (2019) with one of my original companions and did the Ingles from La Coruna (after completing 25K at home). Day 2 had a really long climb but we did it and safely and jubilantly made it to Santiago a few days later.

Further Camino plans got altered by Covid, but this year (2022) I did the Ingles from Ferrol again, completely, with my 74 year old Aunt. This fall I did the Portugues with my original Camino group, from Porto along the Senda Litoral and the Variant Espiritual.

I've done sketchbooks for each Camino, and my sketch kit is the first thing I pack.
Lovely work! The Inglese is such a nice and varied little Camino. I can see why you went back.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Finished sketches, accordion fold watercolor book (Pentalic Dreamcatcher), 4" x 6", watercolor, Micron pen, watersoluble pencil, opaque markers, ball point pen (after I lost my brush and wore the Micron out!) Kindly ignore any spelling errors and wonky calligraphy. There is a slight pinkish cast to the scans.View attachment 48301View attachment 48302View attachment 48303View attachment 48304View attachment 48305View attachment 48306View attachment 48307View attachment 48308View attachment 48309
Beautiful! Thank you for sharing!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Wonderful renderings! They should conjure memories forever!

Keep sketching and posting whatever photos you are working from of your Camino…yes, even post Camino. Never had the time to bring my supplies. I just wanted a shower, time to reflect and stretch and then find an early dinner meal so I could crawl into the sack early!

There is something so enticing about walking to a new place each day…whether it’s the spirit of other pilgrims, the sights of wildflowers or cascading bougainvillea, the sound of bells around animals’ necks, and then the sight of that night’s rooming place and restaurant! Throw in a few cafes along the way and it’s pure bliss for me!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! Im walking the Camino Ingles starting from Ferrol on the 8th May, arriving in SdC on the 14th (and staying til the 17th :) ) Ive not walked a camino before, nor have I ever really done any...
Hi! would arrive by train from Madrid at 23:22 at Ferrol station and from there heading to the parador ferrol (solo female traveler). Is taxi widely available? should i arrange the parador to send...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back