• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I dont want my illness stop me from walking

suzie

Time of past OR future Camino
planning my first trip
Can I get medication on my way if I run out. I started planning last year but got a slight hicup April this year. I my only be able to walk 8k some days (due to tumor on spine) so will be looking at alternatives to the next town. I am looking to travel next year 2016 july I have no time limit, no matter what they" say the camino is calling. I do worry about carrying meds though and running out

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
To the best of my knowledge, the Farmacia's along The Way are very well stocked. They sell things over the counter that would need a prescription here in Canada.

Ron

Carry a letter from your Doctor, and a translation into Spanish, and carry your meds in their original packaging. Unless you are taking something way out on the scarcity spectrum you will be able to obtain supplies from the Farmacia. I carry a two month supply and the paperwork. Never had a problem.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Carry a letter from your Doctor, and a translation into Spanish, and carry your meds in their original packaging. Unless you are taking something way out on the scarcity spectrum you will be able to obtain supplies from the Farmacia. I carry a two month supply and the paperwork. Never had a problem.
Thank you was not sure if I would get held up somewhere carrying drugs

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Very sound advice here for you suzie, especially taking the original packaging.
Thumbs up Tincantinker
Buen Camino

I took my prescrition medication in its original box, which was bulky, plus the 'repeat' form. I also took a pharmacy issue medicine bottle with safety cap and once in Spain put all the capsules in the bottle and flattened out the box. That way it all packed easier. I know that the capsules are supposed to stay shrink wrapped but if you are taking them shortly anyway they will keep OK for a time in the bottle. On the return journey put the bottle back in the box if necessary, or only count out how many you need to 'unwrap'.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I think it's all been said [above]. My doctor will give me up to THREE months of medicines if I'm going away. Just ask. Sometimes they're very helpful! ;).

I don't think the mixed dried herbs are a problem - I seem to remember @Rebekah Scott telling us that in Spain it was legal to possess marijuana for personal use. Not that I'm advocating such a thing for recreational use, but it may be useful information for someone with an illness.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'd definitely urge taking enough with you if possible, while yes they have well stocked pharmacies, and yes you can often get refills, I couldn't get levothyroxine (cheap, non-controlled thyroid medicine) refilled even with refills left on the bottle. Perhaps because by this time I was in O Coruna enroute to starting my CI phase, so less used to seeing pilgrims. Maybe the pharmacist was having a bad day. Who knows...I knew I would run out three days before my return (bad luck of my med refill dates, a hard 90 insurance limit, and a 90 day Camino) so had 'adjusted' for it in case I couldn't refill in Spain .would have been worse if it were heart meds! So take 3 months if you can, and as suggested take a fresh script with you if possible (the pain of getting military doc to do that wasn't worth it for missing three pills in 90 days). I would not count on a farmacia just refilling so get overseas health insurance (and plan for an extra 'rest day' ) in case you need to stop and make an appointment to see a Spanish physician (and take a note from your doctor).

Keep your prescription with you, just in case, but I emphatically agree with the suggestions of getting your 3 months meds prior to departure.

Other than the great advice already given, I'd add keep to the Frances, as crowds are helpful environments for those with medical problems.

I'd suggest travelling as light as possible, rather than sending your pack along ahead of you with a transport service ; though I guess you could have both a small pack to keep always with you, including potential emergencies, plus a bag with your needed spares and extras that you could send on ahead. You'll have a clearer idea about your physical capabilities in the final weeks before departure.

Thing is though to plan ahead for those days when pain might prevent your walking or might keep your daily KM down below 10 -- including the possibility that you might start out thinking 15, but need to stop for your rest before reaching that goal. You wouldn't want to get stuck somewhere with your necessaries several K further down the road.

The ideal would of course be to have one or two companions willing to accompany you on your snail's pace Camino, and who could help carry your part of the burden -- another possibility though, for those of ill health, is a wheeled pack to drag behind you or push ahead rather than a pack to sling over your back.

Like this http://www.gizmag.com/monowalker-hikingtrailer-backpack-trailer/17668/ or this http://www.packwheel.com/ for example -- though I've seen models on the Camino that you can strap on, leaving your hands free for a stick or poles. I'd say dragging is better than pushing, given the terrain.

--

Finally, walking with health problems and at snail's pace will sadly often leave you in situations of arriving late with no guarantee of a bed, so you'll need to plan for some contingencies of roughing it, or only staying in places where you can reserve ahead, or being prepared to shell out extra for hotel rooms.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Depending on which kind of meds you will take, you should check with your nearest Spanish embassy about restrictions/procedures to import them into Spain! Buen Camino, SY

Depending on which kind of meds you will take, you should check with your nearest Spanish embassy about restrictions/procedures to import them into Spain! Buen Camino, SY[/QUOTEu]
Thank you SY. I had not thought about that. Will find out next week and post answer.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back