• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I finally bought a Merino fleece...

SaraB

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugues (April 2016)
Camino Ingles (April 2017)
...but now I am concerned it might not be enough to keep me warm! I have always been the kind of person that gets cold easily.
I bought this really nice one from Icebreaker which I believe is a 200? http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00PXHKC30/?tag=casaivar-21.

Of course I am now testing it. Last night I went over to a friend's, and since I was walking there and the weather was quite cold (-1°C) I decided to put the fleece over my dress (and under my winter coat).
During the walk there was no problem at all, I was, in fact, very warm. But things changed at my friend's house...
At first I was just wearing my (woolen and normally quite warm) long-sleeved dress, but my friend lives in a very old property, the classic British single-glazed house that is constantly freezing. I soon got cold and decided to put my fleece on. It kept me warm for a couple of hours, but after that I started being cold even with the fleece on!
Now I am quite concerned. I am walking in April, the Portuguese way, and I am expecting (though not hoping for!) temperatures as low as 11°C. I was planning to bring one or two cotton vests, one t-shirt (either cotton or merino), the merino fleece, and a light rain jacket. But considering that my friend's living room was definitely not colder than 15°, I am now worried that it isn't going to be enough! I am not worried about the walking part of the day, but about the evenings where I will be just sitting around.
I do want to travel light but I absolutely do not want to be cold.
Of course I will be testing the fleece further - I am thinking perhaps an extra long sleeved merino base layer - but I would appreciate your thoughts and immense experience.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
bring one or two cotton vests, one t-shirt (either cotton or merino), the merino fleece, and a light rain jacket
Don`t ``blame`` your new fleece for not being warm enough; just add another thin layer, but not cotton. I would take: one synthetic or merino t-shirt, one light long-sleeved layer, the merino fleece, and rain jacket, with another merino base layer for sleeping. If it is really cold, put them all on.

For March-April, I`m bringing a down vest for the evenings, too.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I second that. Cotton is for high summer only. Layers - merino, silk or polypropelene thermals - remember that close fitting undergarments keep the body warmest. The merino has the advantage that it stays warm even when wet. You might consider a down vest or jacket - no good if it gets wet but superbly light and would work beautifully inside in the evenings.

depend on the weather one shirt may not be enough you have to think of yourself as an onion, layer layer layer so just buy another merino shirt so you can layer one can never have enough merino wool shirt, never :)

zzotte

Agreed with comments about the cotton: it will get cold if humid (if you sweat while walking and it is cold/humid outside) and therefore will not keep you warm. I suggest layering, under and over your fleece, so you can better adjust your temperature. Long or short sleeved t-shirt underneath, merino fleece over, and maybe a full zip warmer jacket/top, on top. When you feel warmer you keep the layers on, but undo the zips and when you still feel too warm, you take off layers.

I will bring different kinds of tops to create layers, since I'm the type to get chilly very easily. I've got a fleecy top and a warmer insulated jacket that weighs nothing and packs into nothing, as well, that will go over my t-shirt and sometimes a baselayer, depending on how cold/windy the weather is.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You bought the thinnest of the midlayers, which go up to 260. Considering the traditional T is a 150, you may have selected something too thin, especially for this time of the year. I don't understand why everyone is going on about not using cotton since you say your dress is woolen, but that just goes to show the importance of trying things on at home. Nothing like A 10$ pijama fleece top in my book.

As a fiber artist, I read Merino Fleece about 9 times thinking it was one of these
merino fleece.jpg
when you were actually talking about a wool pullover.....
(fellow knitters, spinners, weavers etc will get it)

When I walked the Frances starting in March I had a long sleeve thin merino and an Icebreaker 200 like yours. I wasn't cold.

Remember you can always put your light rain jacket on and that will help keep your body heat in.

buen camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
When walking in cold weather my layers were: 'technical' camisole and short-sleeved T, thin (150) long-sleeved merino top, light weight fleece and a very light wind breaker jacket. I feel the cold too but I was absolutely fine wearing all those together.
Add to this some head covering (I used a buff) and gloves (but socks can be worn instead...).
Buen camino :)

A good thing to remember too is that you'll be walking all day and creating body heat that you would not have done when sitting in your friend's cold house. At the Albergue's you'll be in a heated building (or if it's warm enough there won't be any heat turned on so either way you'll be good), walking around the towns or eating in a bar which will also likely be pretty comfy.

If you were considering another layer, instead of down-filled I use a sythetic insulated product that is just as warm as down but has the advantage of staying just as warm even if it gets wet unlike down that loses it's insulation properties when wet and no goose/duck had to give up it's layer for me to be warm. Mine is the Northface ThermoBall jacket. Very light and very warm! https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/mens-thermoball-full-zip-jacket-2

Buen Camino
Jordon

The reason you got cold again in your friends house was because of inactivity and therefore reduction in circulation IMO. When you are on the Camino you will be walking a lot and taking short breaks. In the evenings, if its cold or cool, layer up but not with cotton as the others have said.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Of course I will be testing the fleece further - I am thinking perhaps an extra long sleeved merino base layer - but I would appreciate your thoughts and immense experience.

I am still looking for my perfect Merino fleece :(
Only 7 weeks left to find it!! :eek:

Thanks everyone!! Your opininions are very helpful!

You bought the thinnest of the midlayers, which go up to 260.
Have I? How can you tell? (genuine question! I am very ignorant in this matter) I was convinced that the fleece I bought was a 200. I don't remember where I read it, but I was doing quite a bit of research before buying it and I remember reading somewhere (perhaps the official Icebreaker website?) that it was a 200.

The reason you got cold again in your friends house was because of inactivity and therefore reduction in circulation IMO. When you are on the Camino you will be walking a lot and taking short breaks. In the evenings, if its cold or cool, layer up but not with cotton as the others have said.
Yes, of course I was cold because I was just sitting still.
As I said before, my concern is not during the walk - it is for later, when I'll be sitting around, or going around town in the evenings. I am concerned that I would still be cold even wearing ALL my clothes.

I am still looking for my perfect Merino fleece :(
Only 7 weeks left to find it!! :eek:
I do quite like this Icebreaker one! And it does keep me warm... I just need to figure out what other layers I need. Which ones have you tried so far?

Based on all your responses I will be going with my original idea, which was to add another long-sleeved merino layer, and I will also make sure that I buy one or two t-shirts also merino.

If you were considering another layer, instead of down-filled I use a sythetic insulated product that is just as warm as down but has the advantage of staying just as warm even if it gets wet unlike down that loses it's insulation properties when wet and no goose/duck had to give up it's layer for me to be warm. Mine is the Northface ThermoBall jacket. Very light and very warm! https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/mens-thermoball-full-zip-jacket-2
That's the jacket I have that I told you I would bring.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
everyone respond to cold and heat differently you have to see what works for you Traditionally a three season layer is something very thin next to the skin synthetic or merino follow by a fleece again synthetic or wool follow by a wind/rain jacket then gloves, hat and neck gaiter (a lot of heat is lost via around the neck) , when active you want the sweat the leave your skin and be transported out thru your fleece and regulate your body heat you don't overheating either, however when you stop you can remove your wind shirt and add say a montbell synthetic fill puffy so don't loose the heat and feel cold. I usually start the day with a long sleeve shirt or two depending on the weather and a 100 weight fleece 200 if its really cold and within 10 min the fleece is out if its windy wind/rain jacket its on when I'm above tree tops and I stop and the weather is good a putt the puffy on I'm good, I'm constantly adjusting my layers and experimenting with different fabrics, lighter weights etc so experiment see what works for you.

Buen Camino
Zzotte

I feel the cold too and would personally never consider going at that time of year without a proper lightweight down jacket (like the Thermoball) or a thick outer-layer fleece. It's a great layer for colder evenings, in bed if too cold(!), and early mornings. Being comfortable is worth the few extra ounces to carry.

On the other hand, you can just go with what you have, and hope you can purchase something along the way if it proves to be insufficient.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Update on the fleece: I went for a walk today. It was sunny but chilly, 6°C. For comparison, I was wearing the same dress as that night, the fleece and my super-warm winter coat.
Very soon I had to take the coat off and I just walked with the dress and the fleece - so at least it is definitely warm enough when I'm walking. :)

In my experience Icebreaker do a very good job of giving you the warmth you need without burdening you with too much weight and bulk.

@auldies
Just a thought but have you looked in the sales? I usually try to buy all the expensive stuff when they're reduced in price (last season's models), makes a big difference. ;)
All the best.

€60,-
@auldies
Just a thought but have you looked in the sales? I usually try to buy all the expensive stuff when they're reduced in price (last season's models), makes a big difference. ;)
All the best.
I agree Domigee.
I have checked out the sales but possibly left it a bit too late.
Sizes and styles are very limited now and so no luck there.

Thanks everyone!! Your opininions are very helpful!

Have I? How can you tell? (genuine question! I am very ignorant in this matter) I was convinced that the fleece I bought was a 200. I don't remember where I read it, but I was doing quite a bit of research before buying it and I remember reading somewhere (perhaps the official Icebreaker website?) that it was a 200.

Yes, of course I was cold because I was just sitting still.
As I said before, my concern is not during the walk - it is for later, when I'll be sitting around, or going around town in the evenings. I am concerned that I would still be cold even wearing ALL my clothes.

I do quite like this Icebreaker one! And it does keep me warm... I just need to figure out what other layers I need. Which ones have you tried so far?

Based on all your responses I will be going with my original idea, which was to add another long-sleeved merino layer, and I will also make sure that I buy one or two t-shirts also merino.

Thanks Sara.
I haven't actually road tested any yet (only in my head!!)
We are sweltering in 30-35 degree heat atm and it's likely to continue for a while yet.
I have been researching them now for some months (over the summer months) and following everyone's opinions on the forum.
Because it is potentially an expensive purchase, I would really like to get it right the first time if possible.
The new autumn/winter range should be out soon, so maybe I'll have lots of good options to choose from.
Buen Camino[/QUOTE]

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I live where it has been cold this last winter while training. I use a smart wool "T" shirt as a base and have a long sleeve smart wool on cold days with a Patagonia light full zipper fleece and a wind and rain jacket and keep plenty warm. They are easy to switch layers as needed.

Since you already have found out, that the fleece is fine when walking, then for cold evenings and nights one may consider a lightweight packable down jacket or vest. May add some 200-300g to carry, and you need to watch not let it get wet. On the other hand, they are pretty trendy nowadays :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Try Rohan's Offers section.There are some lightweight fleeces there which could make good layering with your current fleece. If you have a shop/outlet near you it is best to order on-line and collect from store to save courier costs. I walk with the Microrib stow-away jacket as a second layer because I cannot cope with being cold.

Just to stir up a bit of trouble: Icebreaker now have a new product, MerinoLOFT, which they claim is both very warm and "almost weightless".

Try Rohan's Offers section.There are some lightweight fleeces there which could make good layering with your current fleece. If you have a shop/outlet near you it is best to order on-line and collect from store to save courier costs. I walk with the Microrib stow-away jacket as a second layer because I cannot cope with being cold.

I also got my fleece from Rohan and loads of other stuff, brilliant when in the sales. Didn't dare recommend it though as I thought the shop was only in the UK ..

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I also got my fleece from Rohan and loads of other stuff, brilliant when in the sales. Didn't dare recommend it though as I thought the shop was only in the UK ..
The shops are in the UK, but they will post worldwide. I think the OP is in Canada, but others can benefit hopefully from the post free hint.:)
We use Rohan sales as stuff is so expensive otherwise. Be warned about the canopy cape however, it is discontinued and cheap but won't fit over a pack like our original ones do.

I just purchased this Icebreaker hoody - it will arrive tomorrow and I will choose between this and my down sweater. My first camino I ditched my down sweater at last minute and regretted it later on the trail.
@ SaraB, I think you will be fine and you should consider fleece Buff (I bring 2 and use one as cap if needed) or merino scarf, lightweight long-johns (these double as PJ's) and/or tights/nylons, lightweight liner gloves. On upcoming camino I will also bring arm warmers with me - they are lightweight also.
I really like the merino wool - it is lightweight, keeps me comfy in hot and cold weather, it does not retain odor at all, so does not require frequent washing such as my Buff's. It dries fairly quickly on the line. I did put one of my merino t-shirt in dryer by mistake, but I dont think it shrung (sigh of relief).
Here is link for hoody. Good places to buy in USA is Amazon and Sierra Trading Post, (I dont know if they ship to UK) but I always cross reference with Icebreaker web site to make sure it is the model # I want.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D8XPH9K/?tag=casaivar02-20

Buen Camino,
Janice

I am the idiot who kept complaining about Costco Merinos itching (long sleeve T) who went out and bought an Ice Breaker 150 T. So, I have been wearing the new Ice Breaker, to break up the fibers as advised. Turns out if I get warm, including in bed at night, the thing itches! Worse ... The T I was complaining about was not the Costco one, but the exact same IB in a ladies cut.

I have no idea where my 20$ Merinos are, but will look for them to see if I can redeam myself and their reputation.

Also no idea what the sweaters no close to skin feel, bit still love the IB undies and ultra disapointed the local IB store has never heard of the ladies' bike short type of undies, perfect for anti chaffing.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I wish I could buy ALL the IB stuff - I want those undies, and some IB walking pants! :)
For the itch you might try washing them in Woolite, and then rinse with a little hair conditioner. Body lotion under the garment may help too. And don't overwash. I will have to checkout the Costco brand. I haven't felt itchy with the three IB t-shirts, and neck scarf I have, but i have some other wool stuff that is sometimes itchy, but I thing it's because of the dry air, low moisture, during the cooler month, and my dry skin.
Janice

As yet I have not seen anybody mention Vit 'B' tablets on any of the forums I've read. I know I shouldn't say anything because I haven't yet done a Camino but I have backpacked extensively carrying everything I need to survive, about 35lbs. One thing I learnt many years ago from a study by there doctors on the Pennine Way in England was that we lose Vit 'B' when we exercise. You will find people getting really down and shivery at the end of day, so the first thing I do is take a small 'B' tablet, it works a treat I promise you.
Bryan

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
As yet I have not seen anybody mention Vit 'B' tablets on any of the forums I've read. I know I shouldn't say anything because I haven't yet done a Camino but I have backpacked extensively carrying everything I need to survive, about 35lbs. One thing I learnt many years ago from a study by there doctors on the Pennine Way in England was that we lose Vit 'B' when we exercise. You will find people getting really down and shivery at the end of day, so the first thing I do is take a small 'B' tablet, it works a treat I promise you.
Bryan

I've also found magnesium to be very beneficial.
It helps with pain, fatigue, insomnia, cramping and helps regulate electrolyte balances.

Bryan
Not having done a Camino certainly does not mean you don't have good experiences to share! Always good to get new and different perspectives to consider. Regarding the Vit B idea, wouldn't the typical Camino diet provide mostly what a person needed? You will enjoy a very carnivorous diet in Spain where I understand most B elements reside. Curious to know more about additional requirements needed for long distance walking.

Not having done a Camino certainly does not mean you don't have good experiences to share! Always good to get new and different perspectives to consider. Regarding the Vit B idea, wouldn't the typical Camino diet provide mostly what a person needed? You will enjoy a very carnivorous diet in Spain where I understand most B elements reside. Curious to know more about additional requirements needed for long distance walking.

I'm not sure about the diet on the Camino but my knowledge was gained over many years and time and again I have found people at the end of a day's walk feeling shivery or down in the dumps. Having persuaded them to take one tablet they say without exception it works.
Cheers
Bryan

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I do a lot of walking at home as well as my annual Caminos. At age 68 I have a healthy diet but I find that daily supplements also help a great deal. Each day I take a multivitamin with iron tablet, an Omega 3 fish oil plus glucosamine capsule and a magnesium tablet. I always take a supply of these with me on the Camino. They do not add any significant amount to my pack weight and certainly enable me to walk 30 plus kilometres per day for weeks on end without any aches and pains or other issues.

Last edited:
I do a lot of walking at home as well as my annual Caminos. At age 68 I have a healthy diet but I find that daily supplements also help a great deal. Each day I take a multivitamin with iron tablet, an Omega 3 fish oil capsule and a magnesium tablet. I always take a supply of these with me on the Camino. They do not add any significant amount to my pack weight and certainly enable me to walk 30 plus kilometres per day for weeks on end without any aches and pains or other issues.

Ditto for us!!

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.