• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Merino wool shirt

Time of past OR future Camino
(2017)
Greetings, I generally do my research before I post a question and that is certainly the case here. I’ve never spent upwards of over a hundred dollars on a shirt in my entire half century plus of life so you can appreciate my apprehension. I have read the few threads here, on Readit, countless YouTube videos and feedback and I’ve only managed to get a headache. Just when a person recommends Ice Breakers another with comment on how terrible they are, someone chimes in with Proof 72-hour is the way to go! Only to have testimonies to shoot that down.

The things to consider as I’ve read on is the blend- no one seems to agree what the right blend is. Everyone says it shouldn’t go below 150 gsm. These shirts are pricey to experiment with so I want to avoid that if at all possible.

What I would want is a long sleeve shirt, black, it will be used in the hotter times and the draw is that it will dry quickly and hopefully not stink, that’s the main interest for me.

Also does anyone get annoyed when shopping on Amazon and you do a search for a particular brand and two pages of items shows up and only one of those items is the thing you queried?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I only wear merino t-shirts these days, mainly because of the comfort and absence of funky odors. I take advantage of deals in the sale seasons and stock up then. I personally have good experiences with Devold (my current favorite) and Super.Natural.
Icebreaker I found too delicate (small holes appear quickly). I usually aim for a weight above 150 gsm, below that the shirts feel too thin and vulnerable. I also always select for mulesing-free merino when trying out a new brand, but that's a personal choice.

Last edited:
it will be used in the hotter times
We are talking about merino, are we? A material with a legendary ability to keep you warm in cold weather? Admittedly it is sometimes cold in Spain, but a lot of the time it is hot.

I wear a hiking shirt to walk. I wear a merino shirt under it if it is cold but I generally have to remove it after an hour of walking. A merino shirt is good in the evening, mainly because it doesn´t make me look like Steve Irwin. If you buy two or three, you can wear one on top of the other when it is really cold. Don´t obsess about gsm etc. Any genuine merino is good. Look around and pick one up when they are on offer.

And yes, they do dry very quickly and they don´t stink.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I only wear merino t-shirts these days, mainly because of the comfort and absence of funky odors. I always take advantage of deals in the sale seasons and stock up then. I personally have good experiences with Devold (my current favorite) and Super.Natural.
Icebreaker I found too delicate (small holes appear quickly). I also usually aim for a weight above 150 gsm, below that the shirts feel too thin and vulnerable. I also always select for mulesing-free merino when trying out a new brand, but that's a personal choice.
Well I was back to Google with "mulesing-free merino". Poor sheep

We are talking about merino, are we? A material with a legendary ability to keep you warm in cold weather? Admittedly it is sometimes cold in Spain, but a lot of the time it is hot.

I wear a hiking shirt to walk. I wear a merino shirt under it if it is cold but I generally have to remove it after an hour of walking. A merino shirt is good in the evening, mainly because it doesn´t make me look like Steve Irwin. If you buy two or three, you can wear one on top of the other when it is really cold. Don´t obsess about gsm etc. Any genuine merino is good. Look around and pick one up when they are on offer.

OK so wool for older people means warmth and itchiness . I have a few pairs of Merino wool socks and I wear them in 40 Celsius here in the desert and they dry nicely during rest breaks. I was under the impression that a Merino wool shirt would do the same....sometimes when I'm near a purchase it will read THERMAL and I don't need it to be warm! My biggest attraction is the smell factor. Cotton and I don't work well together, I have a few Colombia shirts that are semi good but on some days they don't pass the sniff test and I'd like to spare myself and fellow pilgrims any unpleasantness if at all possible

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'd like to spare myself and fellow pilgrims any unpleasantness if at all possible
Not really an issue as you will end up doing what most of us do, shower, change and wash your clothes as soon as you arrive at your albergue. My advice is take a loose hiking shirt and 2 or 3 merino shirts. After a few days you´ll know what is working for you.

I bought three long sleeve lightweight REI brand merino wool shirts. They were quite good and comfortable. Less expensive, and if you use a member coupon (new ones coming March 15), they are even cheaper. As someone said, I wore a second shirt on chilly mornings and that was warm enough. Didn't bring a warmth layer (fleece) and didn't need it. I walked the Frances in mid-September to late October.

I hope you find what you need.

Absolutely: Amazon drives me nuts with irrelevant search results. Show me the product I'm looking for and I'm more likely to actually buy it instead of giving up in frustration.

What I would want is a long sleeve shirt, black, it will be used in the hotter times and the draw is that it will dry quickly and hopefully not stink, that’s the main interest for me.
First, black. I saw a recommendation for merino in black; it doesn't show the wet spots from sweat as much as other colors and shades.

Any mostly merino shirt will do well with the drying and not stinking.

Itchiness was mentioned. Merino is good with that but longer and thinner wool fibers will help make it better. These will also make things more expensive and wear out faster.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I learned about merino wool, Icebreaker brand more than 10 years ago. My wife and I have hiked CF four times, from St Jean to Santiago. We are devoted to merino wool - Icebreaker shirts, fleece jackets, socks. Walking together we wash our hiking clothes every three days. The clothing is comfortable and dries quickly. Last fall I hiked Camino Portuguese alone. I decided to test the comfort and no smell limits of merino wool and consistently hiked three days without changing into the next set. No problem. Icebreaker is expensive but we always purchase on Sierra Trading Post and get great bargains. Bob

Greetings, I generally do my research before I post a question and that is certainly the case here. I’ve never spent upwards of over a hundred dollars on a shirt in my entire half century plus of life so you can appreciate my apprehension. I have read the few threads here, on Readit, countless YouTube videos and feedback and I’ve only managed to get a headache. Just when a person recommends Ice Breakers another with comment on how terrible they are, someone chimes in with Proof 72-hour is the way to go! Only to have testimonies to shoot that down.

The things to consider as I’ve read on is the blend- no one seems to agree what the right blend is. Everyone says it shouldn’t go below 150 gsm. These shirts are pricey to experiment with so I want to avoid that if at all possible.

Also does anyone get annoyed when shopping on Amazon and you do a search for a particular brand and two pages of items shows up and only one of those items is the thing you queried?
I’ve personally used - extensively - Smartwool, Icebreaker, Ibex, and REI merino wool products (and Darn Tough socks). All are very good stuff. One note I’d make is that they come in different thicknesses (weights) - typically like 150, 250, etc. - so you can buy accordingly for your desired warmth/tolerance for cold. For my Caminos - one fall on the Frances and one spring on the Portuguese, i brought two, light weight, short sleeves and one, medium weight, long sleeve. I could have trimmed that to one and one but it was de minimis weight. I highly recommend merino for your first layer (next to skin layer) - it breathes, warms, odor resistant and dries fast.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
I also like merino a lot and buy on sale, pretty much wherever I can find good prices. Usual brands smartwool, woolly, icebreaker, and woolx. I tend to like the lighter weight (150) and layer, if necessary. I take a tank for sleeping/base layer, 3/4 sleeve, long sleeve. Mix as necessary. All of mine are pretty soft and have held up well. Buffs, sports bras, and underwear too. Synthetics don’t work for me but wool doesn’t work for others.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm a big fan of merino wool after alternating between two merino t shirts that I wore on my camino. In addition to not holding the stick, they also dry quickly. I've tried REI brand, Icebreaker and Smartwool, and I've found that Smartwool fits me best. I try to buy them on sale at REI because of their generous one-year return policy (which i have used exactly once in the last 10 years). Smartwool comes in a heavier weight (thermal, 100% merino, long sleeve only) and a lighter weight (all season, long sleeve and short sleeve, about 89% merino). I think there's also a version with even less merino content. The lighter weight is perfect for the camino. I've managed to buy all of mine on sale/clearance, most at REI and a few on Amazon.

I walked the CF last year in May 2023. I took two long-sleeve, Icebreaker merino wool tops and one short-sleeve Smartwool. All were 150 in weight. I would wear the short-sleeve one underneath for added warmth. I never took the long sleeves off because of being too warm. I did, however, push my sleeves up if I felt too warm, but that was rare. I am now a merino wool lover and have since purchased two Smartwool 200 long sleeve. I purchase mine on either eBay or Poshmark where I can get them lightly used and they are much cheaper. All of mine arrived from the sellers in like-new condition. I love that they wash up nicely and dry quickly. Since walking the CF, I have traveled to Iceland and India and my merino wool tops came in handy for both of those trips. I also used a part merino wool dress on the Camino that I wore in the evenings after my shower, and then slept in it. Merino wool is the way to go in my humble opinion.

Buen Camino

I love the feel of Merion Wool against my skin and the lack of odour. But I find the lighter and thinner material to be less durable. It also it takes much longer to dry than modern synthetic garments which are also much cheaper. My plan for the Camino is to bring one Merion top for the evenings but use quick drying synthetic clothing for the day. During the day I plan to work up a good sweat causing whatever I wear to require washing so the quickest drying material is best.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

I walked in merino tee shirts in Spain in July and didn't find them noticeably hotter than other tee shirts. Yes, it surprised me, too. But then again, I don't find my summer weight merino socks noticeably hotter than other socks.

I had widely different experiences wearing the merino wool for hiking in winter weather vs. mountain biking. BTW, I’m maybe 10 years older than you.

The merino wool 185 shirt worked well for hiking in mid-February. The trail still had snow on the ground, a chill wind blew, and we started hiking at 7 AM in 33°F weather before the sunrise. The hike is rated moderately difficult, though IMO it was a fairly easy hike.

In 32°F for technical mountain biking (elevation gain, many uphill and downhill rock stairs, and the trail is marked as advanced), in 5 minutes, the merino wool shirt as my base layer overheated me. I removed it. Rode fine in my Patagonia longsleeve.

IMHO, if you must use merino wool “in the hotter times” necessitates a lighter weight wool, not 185. For hotter temperatures above 75°F, I would use instead an ultra lightweight, fast drying running shirt. I like Brooks Sprint Free. The running shirt will dry much faster than the merino wool. If rain is expected, and you don’t bring a rain jacket, the merino wool shirt may be your best option, since you will still feel warm in wet merino wool.

BTW, REI is having a sale on merino wool shirts and Brooks running shirts as of this writing.

As for amazon, when looking for a specific brand and model of an item, I instead use my fav search engine (not google). That way, I see all of the online shops selling it. If amazon has it, amazon invariably shows up first, before the manufacturer’s website. When REI, amazon, etc sell out of a specific item, I check the manufacturer’s website, which often has it. REI does not often have the best prices, does not carry all of the colors of an item, and their return policy isn’t as good as it used to be. As of 2023, REI limits returns to 1 year, rather than their historical anytime with the receipt.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

I like merino wool socks and wear them on the Camino , I think I’m better off with synthetic layers and down for warmth. I look at weight and how easy they dry after hand washing. I’ve been on the Caminos ten times and do sweat even on cool days. I general don’t carry anything wool or cotton ( except wool socks). That being said, on the AT or camping trip wool works well .

My husband inherited a quality merino sweater several years ago, which he has never worn. I happened to think about it just yesterday and although rather large for me, I tried it on as a possibility for my next Camino...nope, even soft merino itches me, which I already knew, but "hoped" it would feel good. I also discovered two holes the size of a pencil erasure on one arm, but not sure if it was from moths, or not.
Out of curiosity, I wonder if all the merino lovers on the forum ever struggle with small holes, not from overuse, but from moths.🤔

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My husband inherited a quality merino sweater several years ago, which he has never worn. I happened to think about it just yesterday and although rather large for me, I tried it on as a possibility for my next Camino...nope, even soft merino itches me, which I already knew, but "hoped" it would feel good. I also discovered two holes the size of a pencil erasure on one arm, but not sure if it was from moths, or not.
Out of curiosity, I wonder if all the merino lovers on the forum ever struggle with small holes, not from overuse, but from moths.🤔
I've never had a problem with moth holes - but I use my shirts regularly. Personally, I find the material soft enough for next to skin wear - but it will be come even softer with washing (cold water, cool dry/hang dry - it can shrink). Buen Camino!

We are talking about merino, are we? A material with a legendary ability to keep you warm in cold weather?
Merino is a naturally wicking fabric, and the lighter weight merino is very comfortable in hot weather. I make my own merino "hiking dresses" out of 150 weight merino, and I've worn them on every Camino in Spring, Summer, and Autumn.

Merino shirts come in other styles besides T-shirts. Maybe Henleys, polos or even dress shirts would be more useful.

Recently I heard that it was grease, skin cells and food left on the material that attracted the larvae. I just did a search on this topic and came up with this on the Today Show website.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
An interesting article to read, Rick. There is no wool in my house except that sweater, a winter coat, and a pair of Darn Tough socks as far as I remember.
I remember the days when my parents' generation stored all their wool clothing in drawers with strong smelling "moth balls". That awful odor never came out of the clothing.😝

I used 3 x icebreaker long sleeve 150 shirts. I used a clean shirt every day. I chose 150 as I walked late spring (cool in the mornings) and I wanted shirts that would survive frequent washing and rucksack rubbing. Note: They can leave the back of the neck exposed as they don’t have a collar so plan your hat accordingly.

I took Icebreaker merino long sleeve, short sleeve and socks on my first Camino last year and will do so again this May. I bought them when they went on sale even the socks. It was a bit chilly when I started mid-May walking over the Pyrenees and was quit warm at the end of June when I finished. They worked great in both the cool and warm weather. I was a newbie last year on my first Camino and had never heard of merino wool shirts until I read this forum. I was a little put off by the price but like I said I waited till they were on sale. I don't wear them everyday, there just for my Caminos.

Just found a Smartwool tee on sale and nabbed it! Also socks at Sierra Trading as written by someone above. Thanks all for the recommendations!

I love merino and have so many sweaters, shirts, socks, underwear, trousers and dresses! They're the perfect material for Camino, breathable, not stinky, easily washed and quick drying. Layers for warmth, single layers on hot days.

If you live somewhere that has hiking/outdoor gear clothing head there to see what brands and styles they have REI in USA and MEC in Canada will carry a variety of brands, including their own in house merchandise.
I like Patagonia Capilene Cool t-shirts and long sleeve shirts for summer, very light and not itchy- but the weave is very thin and will wear out after a year or so of machine washes. Icebreaker has better wearing merino t-shirts and long sleeve shirts but they are a heavier weight and some of them can be itchy. Smartwool seems to be the same weight as Icebreaker but often itchier. It is worth noting that Icebreaker and SmartWool are owned by the same managing company.

Take all our bits of opinions and advice and throw them around or out. :D What works for me may not work for you, we all have our preferred brands and fabrics.

Good luck finding the right gear! Buen Camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Just found a Smartwool tee on sale and nabbed it! Also socks at Sierra Trading as written by someone above. Thanks all for the recommendations!
Also shirts and socks don't have to b washed everyday which cuts down on laundry days. I gave them the nose test each morning and was so surprised that they don't get stinky after walking 20-30 km. I was so happy I chose merino wool. Last but not least I was super worried about blisters being a first time hiker and I used the two sock method which I had never heard about before reading about it on this forum. Light merino wool socks covered by medium merino wool socks and no blisters.

Yes, Amazon’s profit driven curation of search queries drives me nuts as well. It’s one of the reasons that I do product searches on other pages, and then if I want to audition the product, I’ll find it on Amazon and use the ‘no extra shipping charge’ (I’ve already paid for this service with the annual Prime fee) to return it if it doesn’t pass muster. Amazon has dialed up their price gouging recently, and I’m not just willingly accepting it….Thats for another rant.

Merino wool has excellent insulation properties and, like a thermos, adapts well to both hot & cold. But it’s not very durable, as I found out on my first Camino. I’ve switched to using polyester performance fabrics that have excellent moisture wicking and odor control. Use layering for more warmth; e.g. a short sleeve tee over a long sleeve tee with a vest (If necessary). I’ve found this to be more than adequate, and a LOT less expensive.

Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Costco has 100% merino wool long sleeved shirts for sale in the fall for $20.00 Canadian. You have to watch for them - usually in October. They go fast!

Costco has 100% merino wool long sleeved shirts for sale in the fall for $20.00 Canadian. You have to watch for them - usually in October. They go fast!
Costco US has them in the fall too. The women's brand is Segments, and the men's are Karbon. The fabric of the men's shirts is particularly nice. My husband wears them all through the cool season.

You can find some new ones on eBay.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I get my merino from:

I use the MKM Active Range singlets and tees. Have never had a problem with holes or shredding. Lighter weight merino tees from another manufacturer shredded under my pack straps.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Mulesing is not nice, I admit, but the poor sheep who get fly-blown, with maggots eating into their rear-end are much worse off, by far. Mulesing-free is in the same category as organic and anti-GM food - a gimmicky fad - IMHO.

For those of you unfamiliar with the practice of mulesing, here is a webpage from an organisation that represents sheep farmers. Read it and decide what you think.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yep, this Winter I lost 3 Merino sweaters (not used on the Camino) and I use anti-moths stuff everywhere in my wardrobe. (Doesn't smell btw :) )
Very irritating.

That’s a lot to lose over one winter ☹️
My commiserations!

I use Cedar to discourage moths and I keep my wool in resealable bags. They’re not plastic but are the new plastic-substitute bags from IKEA.

I’ve found holes in too many wool items in the past to leave them unprotected.

If the holes are fairly simply shaped, I follow @Kiwi-family’s example of darning-embroidery. This extends the life of these expensive garments and also ‘personalises’ them; hopefully, this might mean that they cannot be mistaken for anyone else’s on the clothes lines. 🙂

It isn't necessary to buy merino wool. Many pilgrims simply use lightweight hiking shirts and cheap, polyester long sleeve or short sleeved Tshirts. Both dry quickly after washing.
No, but the title of this thread is "Merino wool shirt," hence the discussion.

I have come to love merino wool shirts even though I’m allergic to lanolin. Merino does make me itch at all. I don’t know why. I wear them all winter and now I have some T-shirt I wear when it’s warmer. I found a brand on Amazon - Merinotek -it’s reasonably priced, soft, washes and dries in a few hours. It comes in 165, 250, and 350 in many colors, Long sleeve and short. I like 165 then layer as needed. I wear one for several days without odor. My favorite Sox are Darn Tough. They’re guaranteed for life! None of these are Camino tested as I’m a newbie hoping to do Samos to SdS 10/24 if plantar fasciitis ever clears up. Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
First off, I cannot stand the smell of technical fabrics after you have been sweating in them. Even after washing they always seem funky to me, unlike my merino gear. I have tried various brands, different weights, and merino blends. My favorite thing to hike in recently are my merino sun hoodies. They are lightweight and keep me covered up. I also only take merino underwear and sports bras. And yes, I wear merino even in my “regular” life as does my husband, who is a merino convert 😉

I found long sleeved merino wool top far too hot in France in September. It was unseasonally warm

there is different weights of merino wool for different temperatures. I have both 175 ultra light weight and a 260 for cooler weather. I only took the 175 ultra light weight t-shirt and long sleeve on my camino. Long sleeve for cooler days that I had in May and t-shirts for the hotter days at the end of June

Yes those Ice Breakers are expensive. Personally I find them a little prickly and I find they take quite some time to dry. I prefer the polyester versions. I find them more comfortable, I wash them every night so the smell is less of an issue and they dry much quicker than the merino. They are also a lot cheaper. If you are buying Merino the Macpac stuff is really high quality these days and much cheaper than the Ice Breaker product.

I only wear merino t-shirts these days, mainly because of the comfort and absence of funky odors. I take advantage of deals in the sale seasons and stock up then. I personally have good experiences with Devold (my current favorite) and Super.Natural.
Icebreaker I found too delicate (small holes appear quickly). I usually aim for a weight above 150 gsm, below that the shirts feel too thin and vulnerable. I also always select for mulesing-free merino when trying out a new brand, but that's a personal choice.
Icebreak should be stronger and t'istn't. My 200 has a snarky hole and just lamentable even after a cold wash. The rip at cinch of (previous) Osprey 36 and somehow missed in clothing review in January. What I miss (almost) more than un cafe solo-- which is saying a lot -- is the Icebreaker skirt. Mercy me, she was a gem! Over a mountain and right into dinner in central Madrid. Miss it still! (Unshakable mid-70's weight gain).

I use the Merino.Tech brand on Amazon and have been happy. Tried Icebreaker but found Merino.Tech a better value.

In the US, Woolx has some nice shirts and offers 20% off fairly often. I wore a black, short sleeve Woolx T every other day on the Camino in Sept. The hem came undone after I returned home and they replaced it free.. Also have about 6 of the long sleeve Costco shirts, some almost 10 years old- wear them daily in winter. My favorite colors each have a small hole, barely noticeable with a few hand stitches. I haven’t tried them in hot weather.

I bought two short-sleeved REI Sahara hiking T-shirts. The blend is 55% polyester/37% recycled polyester/8% spandex. REI claims they are quick-drying, so we'll see when I get to CF in August thereabouts. You cannot wring Merino wool material, so that's a concern for me since I am planning to light pack and quick drying is a big factor for clothing exchanges. Merino wool is a "meh" for me. Related to avoid experimenting with clothing, it is unavoidable until you find the right "fit."

As a suggestion, why don't you try the clothing, for example, in hotter times, before departing for El Camino? Buy second-hand or barely used to test the overall fit and take it from there. We pilgrims can say whatever in this forum, but you have to find whatever is best for you.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
For T-shirts - try decathlon 70% Marino 30% acrylic. 35$ CAD
Long sleeve for sure Costco...but just looked and they are sold out for the season. The company that makes them is called True North. They are fantastic.

I wash my merino wool T-shirts on a cold, gentle wash in the washing machine and the last cycle spins the clothes. They come out almost dry. No problem hand washing and wringing on the camino. However wore one T-shirt for two weeks under my hiking shirt and rain jacket in the rain in October on the CF. I just hung it up at night after my shower. It didn't smell and only washed it once when i came home.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Drying time is almost entirely a function of how much water the thing is holding. Wool has a saturated regain of 35%. (Compared to about 25% for cotton and 1% for polyester). Ie it can lock up more water than any comparable fabric.

Wool isn’t quick drying, but it does feel much more okay when it is damp because that water is actually temporarily chemically bonded to the fibres.

However wore one T-shirt for two weeks under my hiking shirt and rain jacket in the rain in October on the CF. I just hung it up at night after my shower. It didn't smell and only washed it once when i came home.
I keep reading that merino doesn't smell, and I am sure it must be true, but to keep wearing the same pieces of clothing over and over without washing seems a negative to me in spite of no odor. A person's body secretions and bacteria produced through sweat are still being ground into the fabric daily. I am allergic, but even if I wasn't I doubt I would want to keep wearing t-shirts and clothing (undergarments especially) without the usual washing of every few days.

Hi Chrissy,
I wouldn't normally wear an undergarment for two weeks either but it was cold and rainy for two weeks solid. I didn't think my merino wool T-shirt would survive their washing machines and there is no way it would dry. I did wash my hair every night and survived. I remember one albergue smelling of wet, dirty clothing.

I keep reading that merino doesn't smell, and I am sure it must be true, but to keep wearing the same pieces of clothing over and over without washing seems a negative to me in spite of no odor. A person's body secretions and bacteria produced through sweat are still being ground into the fabric daily. I am allergic, but even if I wasn't I doubt I would want to keep wearing t-shirts and clothing (undergarments especially) without the usual washing of every few days.
Well, the reason merino doesn’t smell is because it’s an environment where those bacteria struggle. Synthetic clothes provide a close to ideal environment for the bacteria to thrive, hence the odour problem.

Exactly why doesn’t seem to be entirely understood but is likely at least in part to the way wool locks up the water from your sweat in a way that other fabrics don’t.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I keep reading that merino doesn't smell,
Merino wool is generally odor resistant; however, if any odors appear, presoak your merino wool item for 30 minutes in cool water mixed with 1/4 cup of plain white vinegar. Rinse before proceeding with laundering.

While you may get away with wringing wool, it can, as many have stated already, hurt the garment. That said, Towel dry it! (not sure if this has already been mentioned?) -- But towel drying it will not only save the shirt from damage but speed up the drying time by hours. Essentially the energetics found in quick drying tech clothing is in the towel, especially a microfiber one. Now you get all the benefits of wool, and the quick drying power of synthetics! In short, Towel Dry Everything For The Win!

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back