• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I Just Won the Mega Lottery!!!

koilife

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CF '13; CF/Salvador/Ingles '16; Portugues '22
I just received a letter telling me that I won a $4.5M share in the Mega Lottery Picker 2016. They want me to send them an international wire transfer, OR I can pick up my check in person in Madrid, Spain.

How convenient that I will be there in 10 days so I don't have to waste money on a wire transfer!!!

All I have to do is convince the Nigerian prince I am travelling with to delay an extra day in Madrid, and we'll live like kings along the Camino. I'll bet there's no bed race for Parador suites!Lottery Letter05182016.jpg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
So legit. Record their faces when you arrive at the address, if the address is even real.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
So legit. Record their faces when you arrive at the address, if the address is even real.
As in, "Smile, you're on Candid Camera!" ???

Of course this is legit. How could it not be? I got a letter in the mail. Who would spend that kind of money on a scam?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have always wanted to receive such a letter, but very happy for you. May I offer my services, as a former soldier, to accompany you to Madrid, for protection and safety, to pick up the money? Who would have thought that one of my best friends ever on this planet should win such a price?

all of the above ..... Me too :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hate to disappoint you but I got the same letter :)

So booked a private jet, went to the address, collected the last of all the available funds :p

Last edited:

So booked a private jet, went to the address, collected the last of all the available funds :p
Ivar --- Is there a mega unlike button anywhere on this site that can take away all likes of a person??? I'd be happy to pay for one, but now you'll have to bill @jirit.

This is of course a ridiculous letter, so regarded as funny by all of us. But I am wondering is there is some way to pass this information on to Spanish or United States authorities, for the protection of vulnerable persons from this fraud. I worked for nine years in a seniors' residence and became familiar with the vulnerability of some seniors to this type of fraud. One gentleman, in particular, responded to numerous scams of this source and became a popular target for multiple scammers. After he died, his family continued to receive such scamming letters for years and was pressed and distressed to bring this to and end. I don't know whether the official response would be: "Well, just don't send them any money, then." But it is possible that such information might be useful to cut off at least this one fraud.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This is of course a ridiculous letter, so regarded as funny by all of us. But I am wondering is there is some way to pass this information on to Spanish or United States authorities, for the protection of vulnerable persons from this fraud. I worked for nine years in a seniors' residence and became familiar with the vulnerability of some seniors to this type of fraud. One gentleman, in particular, responded to numerous scams of this source and became a popular target for multiple scammers. After he died, his family continued to receive such scamming letters for years and was pressed and distressed to bring this to and end. I don't know whether the official response would be: "Well, just don't send them any money, then." But it is possible that such information might be useful to cut off at least this one fraud.
It can't be a fraud. @jirit said she claimed the last of the money already!

Actually, I did already send it on to the US Postal Inspection Service, along with a scan of the envelope, for exactly the reasons you state. Not sure who in Spain, but surely Uncle Google can help me with that one.

Aren't you glad we're friends?
I think I'm about to discover that I have more friends than I ever thought possible. I might even be the most popular guy in Spain for about 2 million rounds of cervesa and tapas.
Ha ha ha! Now that Jirit scooped the prize right out from under your nose, she's the one with all the friends. Sorry koilife.:p
(Glad you reported this. Thanks. We can laugh, but there are others who are more naive.
And thanks for the giggle. It's gotten a bit serious around here.)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Oh yeah?! Well, I'm not afraid. I know karate, dim sum, and 18 other vaguely Asian sounding words. In certain circles, they call me Bruce.

Besides, in looking at Jirit's profile, I realize he's a Canadian, and they're always nice!
Actually born in Australia, somewhere in the outback and I believe I am a distance relative to Russell Crowe or is it Crocodile Dundee ? ;)

Bruce was my pet crocodile :)

Neville maybe now you can use it all to purhcase a new house in Victoria, now that we're the third hottest market internationally, followed by Aukland and Toronto:p

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Neville maybe now you can use it all to purhcase a new house in Victoria, now that we're the third hottest market internationally, followed by Aukland and Toronto:p

Actually I was thinking of buying one of Vancouver's Point Grey "tear me downs" for a couple of million, and building a new McMansion in its place :D

Hopefully I have some change left over to buy a grande double latte at Starbucks :(

Last edited:
A good friend of mine used to live in C/Rios Rosas - 16, I think.

I checked Google Maps for no. 34, and they've clearly misspelled the name of the shop which is at that address now. It's called Spainphone, I think it should be Spamphone...

As in, "Smile, you're on Candid Camera!" ??? Of course this is legit. How could it not be? I got a letter in the mail. Who would spend that kind of money on a scam?
BUT did you actually BUY a ticket in this Lotto??? If not how did they get your details?? If you DO intend to front up to the address - suggest you take along your own security guard (armed). Buen Camino!!

BUT did you actually BUY a ticket in this Lotto??? If not how did they get your details?? If you DO intend to front up to the address - suggest you take along your own security guard (armed). Buen Camino!!
How did they get his details? My guess is they saw him coming. As to a security guard accompanying him, his BFF @alexwalker, has offered his services there.

For providing security, @alexwalker already volunteered, although I use that term loosely, as I expect he has ulterior motives. Are you volunteering too? And, if it means we have to go take on that Goliath, that veritable Paul Bunyan of a man, @jirit, are you still ready, willing, and able?

For providing security, @alexwalker already volunteered, although I use that term loosely, as I expect he has ulterior motives. Are you volunteering too? And, if it means we have to go take on that Goliath, that veritable Paul Bunyan of a man, @jirit, are you still ready, willing, and able?

Hate to be the bearer of bad news again but I have spent all the money :cool:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
No doubt feeding Babe, the Blue Ox.

No feeding Bart the grizzly bear. This is Canada - no blue ox here - only south of the border

My very best friend, my motives are purely humanitarin and for your benefit & safety only. I shall only humbly ask for a more or less symbolic fee of 1.000 Euros/hour + flight and parador expenses, in addition to the industry standard 50/50 split.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My very best friend, my motives are purely humanitarin and for your benefit & safety only. I shall only humbly ask for a more or less symbolic fee of 1.000 Euros/hour + flight and parador expenses, in addition to the industry standard 50/50 split.
I have a distinct image of Yosemite Sam and Bugs Bunny when they're splitting money 50/50. Bugs says, one for you and one for me. Two for you and one, two for me. Three for you and one, two, three for me. Somehow I get the sense you went to The Bugs Bunny School of Accounting.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news again but I have spent all the money :cool:

Mmmmh... no, i don't think so.

Once you cut a couple of trunks, what can one do to spend such amount of money in Canada?

Ok, i'll take a siesta while i think about it.

:oops:

Somehow I get the sense you went to The Bugs Bunny School of Accounting.
Listen, dear friend, I have to set up serious and expensive security measures for this gig: Madrid is very dangerous for people with so much money as you have won. But I have good news for you: You don't have to go there!!! I have ordered a private jet for me tomorrow, and going straight to Madrid to pick it up for you! With private bedroom (it's a long flight) and 4 stewardesses, at a bargain price of 20.000 Eurous! Round trip! Parador has also been booked. Now all is in safe hands, finally: Would hate to see such a good friend being conned.

I just need you to PM me a photocopy of your CC (both sides) so I can pay for the plane (I prefer MasterCard, but any card with unlimited withdrawal will do), + your PayPal login info so I can send over the money from Madrid. You should have all the money in your PayPal acc. by Monday, latest! You will save a lot of money by not having to go to such a dangerous place all by yourself, but letting me do the tough work instead. But hey, what are best friends for?!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Listen, dear friend, I have to set up serious and expensive security measures for this gig: Madrid is very dangerous for people with so much money as you have won. But I have good news for you: You don't have to go there!!! I have ordered a private jet for me tomorrow, and going straight to Madrid to pick it up for you! With private bedroom (it's a long flight) and 4 stewardesses, at a bargain price of 20.000 Eurous! Round trip! Parador has also been booked.

I just need you to PM me a photocopy of your CC (both sides) so I can pay for the plane (I prefer MasterCard, but any card with unlimited withdrawal will do), + your PayPal login info so I can send over the money from Madrid. You should have all the money in your PayPal acc. by Monday, latest! You will save a lot of money by not having to go to such a dangerous place all by yourself, but letting me do the tough work instead. But hey, what are best friends for?!
Wow! Who could ask for a better friend?! This Camino-thing really does provide!

Last edited:
Wow! Who could ask for a better friend?! This Camino-thing really does provide!
Oh yes, dear friend and fellow peregrino: The Camino provides! Will give you what you need.

Right now I need a PM with your CC details and your Paypal login info.

Last edited:
Well I glad this is settled.

We can return to our regular scheduled program - the Camino ;)

I to won a very large amount of money several times from 4 different countries. After reading carefully I decided to post the letter back to each of them in the provided envelope with the addition of a envelope sized peice of roofing LEAD. No postage was required on my part and funnily enough one did not receive any more correspondence from them. :)

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I was struck at once by the proximity of your announcement of sudden riches to the link enabling donations to Ivar's website and for all the services he provides Camino pilgrims.

When you collect your winnings, maybe throw a few thousand euros Ivar's way. ;)

I was struck at once by the proximity of your announcement of sudden riches to the link enabling donations to Ivar's website and for all the services he provides Camino pilgrims.

When you collect your winnings, maybe throw a few thousand euros Ivar's way. ;)
I promise to give Ivar 50% of whatever I collect. That's out of gross, mind you, not net after @alexwalker claims his mercenary share. Although, if there's nothing to collect, @jirit might have to make the donation on all our behalf.

I just received a letter telling me that I won a $4.5M share in the Mega Lottery Picker 2016. They want me to send them an international wire transfer, OR I can pick up my check in person in Madrid, Spain.

How convenient that I will be there in 10 days so I don't have to waste money on a wire transfer!!!

All I have to do is convince the Nigerian prince I am travelling with to delay an extra day in Madrid, and we'll live like kings along the Camino. I'll bet there's no bed race for Parador suites!View attachment 26089
Funny!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Look I'm very sorry @koilife and @jirit but as a lawyer I have to tell you that my services are needed or you will both be up for massive taxes and bank fees. I have a company set up in an offshore tax haven which will avoid any nastiness from the Spanish, Canadian, US and UK governments, and a special relationship with some very honest and fee free Nigerian banks. You need me.

Look I'm very sorry @koilife and @jirit but as a lawyer I have to tell you that my services are needed or you will both be up for massive taxes and bank fees. I have a company set up in an offshore tax haven which will avoid any nastiness from the Spanish, Canadian, US and UK governments, and a special relationship with some very honest and fee free Nigerian banks. You need me.

Everybody seems to forget that it has been collected and spent - thus no taxes due - can't get blood from stone (or something like this):p

As a former accountant I decided to check if any taxes would be due on fake MEGA LOTTERY scams.

Well I was surprised to learn the following:

Under EU directive 2011-453-330/53225/7437763-45225/2ww45454 - this434 - is 34344- long -343422:

Citizens of Spain, and select countries of the EU must pay income taxes based on their domicile place of residence
Citizens of treaty countries (and this includes the USA, Australia, New Zealand and the Cook Islands) must pay a withholding tax of 50% of the expected winnings

:D

Most read last week in this forum

When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...
Seems to be a lot of people posting about stuff they lost on the Camino recently. I managed to leave a nice new-ish polo shirt somewhere drying and didn't notice for over a week. I hope someone...
Did you meet Bjørn Krohn? Died aged 48 in an albergue, I don't know where, tuesday 21th. I didn't know this until now.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back