• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What if they just kept on walking?

William Garza

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, The Jakobsweg
Ide like to imagine some pilgrim took to the Way..went out the door and never looked back and....
Just kept going.

Kinda like that Gump fellow.
Reached the "end" of that road, turned and went another way and somewhere...

Out there...

One day you meet eyes with a raisin of a Peregrino and smiles are tendered.

I wonder

A selection of Camino Jewellery
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ide like to imagine some pilgrim took to the Way..went out the door and never looked back and....
Just kept going.

Kinda like that Gump fellow.
Reached the "end" of that road, turned and went another way and somewhere...

Out there...

One day you meet eyes with a raisin of a Peregrino and smiles are tendered.

I wonder
I remember hearing lots of stories about pilgrims on the Camino who met a fellow who basically claimed to have done just that. He reportedly carried a binder with lots of news clippings of stories about his travels.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We met a few of these people (living on the camino) as hospitaleros and as pilgrims. Weathered, but not really raisins.

This summer met a man who started in Cadiz and was walking to the Holy Land...hope he isn't there right now though. I wish him safety and peace.

I remember hearing lots of stories about pilgrims on the Camino who met a fellow who basically claimed to have done just that. He reportedly carried a binder with lots of news clippings of stories about his travels.
I met that guy man during my Camino Portuguese in June. His name is Jose with the claim of having walked 140,000 kilometers. He was a man of the Sea and the boat he was on went down leaving him the only survivor. Because of this event, he promised St. Nicholas the

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I see repetitive posts on here, but have not seen this topic. This is something that I never would have considered to even interest me prior to doing the Camino. Surprisingly, on my first Camino I met several several people that had been walking for months and I found myself a little jealous. After walking several Camino's I would love to live life in a more basic/pure nature, not burdened by chasing hollow dreams. I clearly have to believe that I would be a completely different person, I believe more contented.

Maybe very tanned by the sun,permanently tanned would be a more apt description.
When i dealt with farmers and outdoorsmen of many years,their skin took on a particular cast and texture hence the raisin...but that may not be apt .

David Harper thats what i imagined!

In the middle ages this used to be a thing. It's where the word sauntering comes from. It was a bit of a dodge. People would take to the road (or maybe the path) and whenever anyone they met asked where they were headed they would say they were on their way to the Holy Land (Saint Terre) and they would get a place to spend the night and a free meal. They were in no hurry.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Both times I walked a camino there was a point (usually late in the trip) where I realised that, beautiful as the interlude to normal living was, it was the life back home that would ultimately be important, and I would start to think about what I could bring back to that life from the camino experience. That said, the idea of permanent wandering has always figured strongly in my fantasy life.

Lately I've been thinking that it's time to think about setting off on another beautiful camino journey, because, just living in my normal world, I can start to act like that is all there is, to become bogged in the familiar, and the idea of new places and people everyday and lots of room for the unexpected is so refreshing.

I have met two such people.

The first was a young Belgian man. He was on his way home after two years walking Camino routes. I met him on the Voie de Vezelay. He had been bitten by a snake a few days before and seemed to me to be f****d in the head. But I am no psych.

The second was an elderly Spaniard who I met on the VF. He had started from somewhere in Andalusia, made it to SdC and decided to continue to Rome and maybe beyond. He had very little money. People gave him food and clothing. His head appeared to me to be intact(ish)

Much as I enjoy long routes, I have found that 12 weeks (Rome to SdC) is slightly more than enough for me.

I met that guy man during my Camino Portuguese in June. His name is Jose with the claim of having walked 140,000 kilometers. He was a man of the Sea and the boat he was on went down leaving him the only survivor. Because of this event, he promised St. Nicholas the
I met him as well, 10 years ago in Finisterrae, on my first Camino!
Back then he had already walked so much and he had a book with all newspapers clipping of places where he walked.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
This might very well be Jose, the one who survived the shipwreck! You can find a bit of his story here:
1697009314134.jpeg

Last edited:
This might very well be Jose, the one who survived the shipwreck! You can find a bit of his story here:
View attachment 158114
Thos article describes the man (Jose) that I met this summer. He relied on the kindness of strangers and friends for food and a place to sleep. Jose is a positive, kind, gentle person, who bothers no one.

I met Jose in 2016 while walking the Portuguese well before Porto. The owner of a small bar knew him well and had arranged a birthday cake for him and a small party. I sat with him and shared his cake and listened to his stories. After dinner he smoked a big cigar. It was a pretty good Camino memory! I’ve walked a good few kilometres myself, but couldn’t imagine walking like he does. That’s quite the commitment.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
It's been my experience that the Way is not a place but is walking, opening to the new around each bend, being and not looking back. I believe it can be done wherever I am; if only I have strength to do it. Your poem is a much better way of saying this

In 2021 I met a guy in El Acebo de San Miguel who just kept walking. He had been on the road for a couple of years. He recognised my accent and asked where I was from I told him the nearest city and he said he came from a village near there. I ask him which village and he said the village I grew up in. He was a lot younger than me but I recognised the names of some of his relations. what a coincidence two people from a small village in the UK meeting in a small village in Spain

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In 2021 I met a guy in El Acebo de San Miguel who just kept walking. He had been on the road for a couple of years. He recognised my accent and asked where I was from I told him the nearest city and he said he came from a village near there. I ask him which village and he said the village I grew up in. He was a lot younger than me but I recognised the names of some of his relations. what a coincidence two people from a small village in the UK meeting in a small village in Spain

The Camino works in mysterious ways!

Earlier this year I was sitting with a couple of Amigos in the Plaza Mayor in Astorga.

I saw a woman on the other side of the square for a fleeting moment wearing a very specific bright article of clothing.

"I'm sure I know her I said"............

I send a DM to the Forum member who I thought I had just seen, though we had never met in real life........

"are you in Astorga Today"

"Yes" came back the reply the next morning. "see you in Rabanal"

And so we did. And stayed in the same place in El Acebo.
And walked a bit together the next day, and shared another meal, before we diverged onto different Caminos.

It seems we live about 10 kms apart!

Time to catch up for lunch I think.........

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.