• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I may have found a home!

Arn

Veteran Member
Hi folks,

This is my first day on the forum and so far my best! Let me elaborate. I've been planning my Camino for nearly six months, not just the "way", or the "how tos", but more to get the feel of what the Camino is and means. I've reviewed many Camino web sites, joined several forums and sought information and inspiration...with little satisfaction, until today!

I've met in a nano second Johnny Walker (a fine single malt is my choice on a cold night, or any night for that matter) and Hilda. who's both open and excited about her Camino.

I am more into my Camino than ever before. Thanks so very much for the additional shove along.
Buen Camino
Arn

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Welcome, Arn.
There are many good people here who willingly offer suggestions from the fruit of their experience. This forum is a good place to find!
Margaret

Arn

Welcome to what Sil ( one of the champions of the Camino and Forum ) affectionately calls our virtual albergue.

Previous postings are a mine of information and people are always around to give of their experience and knowledge - don't hold back on questions.

You're a really experienced walker yourself and you it would be really interesting to hear tales of your exploits.

As far as "strong drink" is concerned Spain has much to offer...from delicious sweet wines to Aqua Ardiente - literally firewater! The syrupy Hierbas - VERY effective, sweet Pacharan...all for a fraction of the cost we are used to paying. Lovely nightcaps after long days walk.

Perhaps we can compare notes!

Regards

John

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks Margaret. Look forward to more conversation as I work thru my planning.

Johnny, Your suggestions on adult beverages are both welcome and eye opening. I have not heard of any of these libations before. Then again, when I was assigned to the North of Scotland (Wick), I had little interest in whisky, because I had little desire. But the highlands do get cold, so I allowed my RM friends to introduce my taste buds to a wee dram. I've tried many Spay and Tay side offerings, as well as some of the Island distils, but find I have a penchant for DalWhinney. I like the smooth, non bite and it goes down so well. On occasion, I'll savor Oban or Talisker. I live in an "old" colonial farm house built in 1783, I heat with wood and, there's nothing better than sitting in the parlor, fire roaring and a fine single malt.

Arn

Welcome to the forum Arn!

I thought it was interesting to read (in one of your other posts) that you had spent some time in Kirkenes. I server 3 months of my army service there (GSV)... in the summer months luckily.

I hope you find what you are looking for here in the forum. As they say, once you have made your decision to go... your camino has started.

Un saludo,
Ivar

Ivar,

Many thanks!

I wasn't that lucky in Kirkiness, in that I was there for some very heavy snow falls. That said, I do have some interesting pics of me and the gang swimming in the strait (compliments of the Gulf stream) when the temp was hovering about 15 degrees F.

So far the other folks I've met are super. I look forward to many interesting chats as I put together my Camino.

regards
Arn

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Arn said:
Johnny, Your suggestions on adult beverages are both welcome and eye opening. I have not heard of any of these libations before. Arn

Well, you've got to try Orujo de Hierbas. I got my first taste of the "demon liquor" (as I fondly named it) at the excellent Albergue Maralotx at Cirauqui. After one of the best meals I ate on the Way (served in the albergue cellar, with locally-made wine), the owner asked me, "Have you tried orujo?" I said no, so she poured me one on the house - yum! She mentioned that it's traditional to drink some after dinner to help digestion. Then a couple Spanish guys bought me one. Then someone else poured me a third. And just to keep the numbers even and respect the culture, I bought a 4th (hehe). Oh my - I slept like a log that night. :wink:

On the outskirts of Logrono, I heard a man order "cafe con cognac" (coffee with cognac) in a bar, so I tried some of that - pretty good stuff. A couple cups kept me warm on the way up the mountain to O'Cebrerio (and down the other side) during a foggy, rainy day.

And of course, the Spanish red wine is tops all the way along the Camino (I had some nice white wines in Santiago, though) - good, and inexpensive. Indeed, that's why I chose "vinotinto" as my site name... :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Kelly,

I've looked at your travels on the Camino and am impressed. You've got a great outlook and a strong self image. I can identify with that. Although you're a wolverine, I saw a reference to Chicago..how so?

I will go back to your site many times for info...expecially how to get to SJPDP from Madrid.

Buen Camino
Arn

Welcome Arn and Hi again VinoTinto,
Just to add a little more variety to the libation information....café con orujo is also an excellent choice to ward off the dampness and chill of a Galician morning! I tried it once... or maybe twice. :wink:
Buen Camino

I make orujo and aguardiente (the same thing as far as I know) at home. Since we have grapes at my house, the leftovers after pressing the juice out of the grape is what we use to make the aguardiente.

We don't have the actual pot, one of our neighbors has a license for a pot so he is the one that actually does it. You can see a photo of such a pot here.

It's good stuff! :)

Saludos from rainy Santiago,
Ivar

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ivar, Johnny, Dierdre and fellow imbibers,

I think Johnny may be on to something about another thread...and, in keeping with the Camino spirit :D, possibly a discussion on liquid refreshment downed by pilgrims past and present. In that pilgrims trekked from all over Europe, then and today (all over the globe), I'm sure they started out with local specifics as to what they preferred to drink, what they had to drink and, how their travels may have introduced the products of the varied regions to their home locals. For example, water today is at the top of most folks list and their refreshment of choice. During the Middle Ages, water was suspect and, often a last resort, unless hops, or other grains and fruits were added and the distilling process killed off the germs.

Ah, Johnny, I went in search of an Isle whisky yesterday and came home with a bottle of Isle of Jura single malt. Nearly brandy quality.

regards
Arn

ps...Ivar, the problem this morning appears related to windows vista...thx A

Thanks, Arn! I'm glad you've enjoyed my blog. :) I should point out, however, that I didn't get to SJPdP from Madrid; I flew into Paris, then took a plane to Biarritz. I flew home from Madrid. However, if you want to fly into & out of Madrid, there are several ways to get to Roncesvalles/SJPdP. I found it simpler to fly into Paris & out of Madrid, plus I didn't see any of the Camino before I walked it. (I felt that seeing Pamplona & Roncesvalles via train & bus was "cheating." :lol: )

Kelly

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Kelly,

In that I will be in Malaga first, it just seems flying into/out of Madrid was the logical choice. I have not made any arrangements yet and don't have to until 60 days out. The only got to...is the Malaga side trip.

thx
Arn

Arn said:
During the Middle Ages, water was suspect and, often a last resort, unless hops, or other grains and fruits were added and the distilling process killed off the germs.

Heck, it's still a bit suspect even today. During my Camino trek this summer, a number of folks got some sort of intestinal maladay somewhere near the meseta. They weren't sure if they got it at an albergue, or due to some funky drinking water (there were a lot of dead mice/rats in the area, so some suspected contamination due to poison). Just to be safe, a bunch of us switched to bottled water for awhile.

As for me - the only day I failed to drink vino tinto is the only day I got sick. It hit me while climbing the big hill just outside of Cizur Menor. Not fun, but I was thankful for the concealing sunflower fields up there. :oops: And after that unpleasantness, each day I always made sure to quaff red wine (along with orujo after dinner when I could get it). So, I must credit Spain's vino & spirits with keeping the nasties away. :D

The "sick zone" was somewhere between Fromista & Sahagun. I met up with some friends in Leon who were able to walk that distance & they said almost everyone became ill somewhere between those 2 places. (I had skipped from Fromista to Sahagun because I thought I was running out of time.) I later read somewhere that it is better to rely on bottled water in that area & not drink from the fuentes or the tap.

Kelly

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I've always been suspect about water...over the years and miles, I've found that anytime you're downhill from a location where either farming or animal husbandry is ongoing and, you drink the water "straight" you will indeed be "on going and going and going" for awhile...so I'm with you Vinotinto and Kelly. "A day without wine is a day without sunshine!"

Hi VinoTinto,
You and I were on the Camino at the same time... amazing that we never encountered one another... I think I sampled wine everywhere!

Some of our traveling acquaintances got the stomach bug in CarriĂłn de los Condes - presumably from "potable' water in a fountain. One young German woman (after being turned out of the albergue even with a doctor's note) ended up hospitalized in Leon. We walked awhile with her friend and the only other American I met during my entire Camino (a young teacher from NYC) accompanied him at a rapid pace to Leon to get to the hospital to see her. We heard in Leon that all ended up well. She was released from hospital and was fine... but we never saw them again. They were such nice young people - it was a shame that they had such a terrible experience.

Fortunately, I drank the water wherever and never had a problem. :D
Buen Camino,

Deirdre said:
You and I were on the Camino at the same time... amazing that we never encountered one another... I think I sampled wine everywhere!

Wow - you were there during July-August? Pretty cool. Oh yeah - I certainly made the vino rounds wherever I went. Heck, after getting sick the one day I went without it, I even had a nip during my breakfast stops. Better safe than sorry (hehe).

Deirdre said:
the only other American I met during my entire Camino

Yeah, I only met three other Americans, and two of them were brothers. Others on the Camino told me they had met an American here and there. But we didn't seem to be a big force on the Way. Of course, none of my family and friends had ever heard of the Camino (except for one or two), so I'm not surprised that we're a minority presence on the trek.

Deirdre said:
One young German woman

That's odd - I also ran into a couple German women who were ill from whatever was going around. They were well enough to keep going, but they experienced vomiting and such. No fun to get sick on the Camino, that's for sure... :arrow:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There ARE Americans on the Camino... you just have to know where to look!

I am from Pittsburgh, PA, but I live on the Camino, in that "sick zone" between Carrion and Sahagun, in a tiny town called Moratinos. My hus. and I are fixing up a mud house here, and sometimes take pilgrims in for coffee or a rest. Someday we hope to offer more, but this project is taking FOR EVER!

Anyway, about that stomach thing... Lots of people, including the Sisters in Carrion, blamed bad water for the sickness that struck a bunch of pilgrims along the trail this year. Tomas, our local Centros de Salud doctor, however, who attends to patients in five different Camino towns, said that can´t be true, or the locals would be sick all the time. (I´ve lived here on the Meseta for more than a year, drinking tap water, and my stomach is fine.) He said it was a much less romantic-sounding stomach virus, which the pilgrims passed back and forth among themselves. Or maybe a contaminated dishrag in someone´s restaurant or albergue kitchen along the way.

We had a string of sick pilgrims stay with us in summer and fall, and we never caught the bug. So who knows?
Maybe it´s the local home-brew. Our neighbors make their own orujo de hierbas, and NOTHING could withstand that stuff! You all must stop in for a snort when you pass through... we´re just after Terradillos de Templarios!

Rebekah

Rebekah,

You are on my list of "gotto's", I'm sure by the time I get to your casa...I'll have forgotten how to speak English and it will be good to brush up.

You mentioned Tomas...what a legend on the Camino! I saw him in the DVD "Within the Way Without" and many folks mention him in the books I've read. He seems bigger than life...a doctor, a Templar, a cook of fine garlic soup, social activist...and possibly, crazy.

What are your impressions of Snr Tomas?

Rebekah wrote: we hope to offer more, but this project is taking FOR EVER!

What's the situation? Ivar seems to be at a full stop because of the local gov't...what's yours?

Buen Camino,
Arn

Hello Rebekah,
Welcome to the forum! During my Camino I stayed in Terradillos... our maps said there were no albergues in Moratinos. ALthough we found many that were not in the guidebooks! I believe I may have stopped in your little village to rest and search for a café con leche in the madrugada. But we found nothing until Sahagún! I remember that day well ... we walked from Terradillos to El Burgo Raneros and it was HOT!

This is a great place to let people know that you are there.... and I'm sure you have wonderful insights and stories to tell. I'd love to hear how you ended up in Moratinos from Pittsburgh....

¡Feliz Navidad!
Buen Camino,

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
1rebrites said:
There ARE Americans on the Camino... you just have to know where to look!

Not many, though. Heck, I saw more Slovenians than Americans on the Camino. But I don't mind - I enjoyed the break, since I'm surrounded by them at home... :wink:

About Americans on the Camino, the Archdiocesis of Camino de Santiago post statistics for those who receive the Compostela.

In 2005, the last full year posted: 93,924 Compostelas were given out, 3,577 to those from the United States.

In June 2006, the last month posted: 12,894 Compostelas were presented, 389 to citizens of the U.S.

The vast majority were from Spain. Germany being second.

Few people in may area, Austin, Texas, had heard of the Camino, just made it more special to me.

Jerry

I tried to find Reb's house in the early morning and almost left without leaving my little gift at her door.

Here is a sight some of you might recognize.

Attachments

• Sunset 2.jpg
    Sunset 2.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 245
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
(Due to a technical glitch, 1rebrites and Rebekah Scott are the same person!)

Glad to make all of your´s acquaintance. You all are welcome here. You are right, there are no albergues in Moratinos. There are no bars or shops, either... and in winter we are all of 18 people!

My hus. and I don´t have an albergue because we are too lazy to run anything full-time. (We are both hospitaleros voluntarios at other places, and we enjoy pilgrim company, but we also both have wide streaks of ´hermit´in our characters.) We welcome pilgs who need or want to take a break and have a chat or coffee or meal, and when the weather is nice and the house is in some order we have some stay overnight sometimes, on a donativo basis. Lately, though, that´s been impossible, with the cold and rain and us with no glass in the windows.

Our house is taking so long because we are not do-it-yourselfers, and there are so few skilled workers in this remote part of Spain. The group we hired from Leon last summer did some heavy roof and masonry work, then took the big deposit for the plumbing and walked off the job. We´ve just found another builder from Palencia to come in and work, but he´s just now getting started, and today expressed doubts as to the safety of the previous guys´ masonry job.

The house is currently uninhabitable, but we spend our days here in the compound anyway. We have two dogs, the summer kitchen has a fireplace and internet connection, and we like living in our house in our village. At night we go 9 km. to Sahagun, where we´ve rented a piso for the winter... just across the road from the big Trinidad pilgrim hostel! (we can´t escape you guys!)

If you know you are coming by, please email me and I´ll do something special: it´s rebrites (at) yahoo.com. And if you want to learn more about why we´re here, you can check out the blog at http://www.moratinoslife. blogspot.com.

Today, for those of a faith other than Christian, is the Epipihany, when the wise men came to the realization that the baby Jesus was indeed the Christ!

Whether you’re Christian or not, you have had an Epipihany. Some would call it serendipity, others a “flash” or a thought as out of the blue. Call it what you will, you may have expected it, but now it’s come face to face with you. What will you do?

The reason behind my being on this forum is because I’ve been drawn here. Before I even knew there was a Santiago-Today, I knew there was a Camino. Finding you makes My Camino no longer a new and different thing I want to do, but rather it’s become something I want to share. Who then do I want to share it with?
I recently purchased “The Way Without Within”. It moved me in a way I can’t put into words without becoming a blubbering idiot. I gave it to my Daughter to watch. Her comment was, “Dad, something else about your trip!” I didn’t take offense, because both my children know I’m a person that sets his sights and then accomplishes what he sets out to do. Remember, this is the same Daughter that chided me when I didn’t tell her I was in the mountains training. Tell me you’re training (that’s in the present), tell me about the Camino (that’s when it’s completed).

Those of you that have already completed one, or more Caminos, know that the Camino can change one’s perspective. It may change the way you relate to God, or not. It may change the way you look upon and judge your fellow man. It may be as mundane as the realization that changing your socks every day arrests blisters. But we all take away from the Camino…what we, here on the forum, have called Our Camino!
Before I’ve even set foot on the Way, I’ve met fellow travelers that have already seen the Milky Way up close and personal. They’ve been awed by the majesty of the Pyrenees, astonished that the miles move faster than they could have imagined and, felt “changed” in some way that they can’t quite put their finger upon, but they know it’s there. I do know this: I cherish all the advise, coddling, direction, misdirection, and common sense shared on the forum.

Now, back to My Epipihany, I’ve always said that I’m on this Camino to do penance for past faults and sins. I remain committed to that premise. But to come closer to the point, I have an ever growing feeling that I belong closer to the Church. Our Parish is currently without a permanent Pastor. Today, on this Epipithany Sunday, we held a Communion Celebration rather than taking part in the mystery of the transformation of bread and wine into the body and blood of Christ. As a youth I thought I wanted to become a priest. Instead I became a warrior. In all those warrior years, I stayed close to my God by serving him as well as I could.

Here is my Epipihany, I want to come back from My Camino strengthened in my desire to serve. I want to challenge myself in both body and spirit to seek a better way for myself, my family and my Church. I know I am up to the challenge and that I am strong in my belief, but weak in my being. I seek answers and an affirmation that what I seek is indeed what is God’s plan for me.

Buen Camino
Arn

Arn, greetings on the day after the Epiphany, greatful to your explaination on the feast and your faith. It is always good to read about someone on a their journy of faith. May this year be one spiritual growth. I myself share simliar feels with you. I am a third year divinity student and hoping that my bishop will carry on his intentions of accepting me to priestly ministry. Have one great obstacle that needs removal by Rome and we know how slow Rome moves. So remember me as I will you. Again thanks for the sharing.

Pax Vobis.
niel

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You could subscribe to the e-newsletter from ZENIT - which sends out regular despatches from Rome. Today there are extracts from the Pope's address of the Epiphany and the Magi.

http://www.zenit.org/index.php?l=english

wow, this place is getting downright inspirational! Thank you, Arn, for sharing your Epiphany! Sounds like you´ve started your Camino well before setting foot on the path.
Be aware, though, even as you start with your well-thought-through intentions and visions... The first thing you unload and leave behind on the trail is your expectations. You´ll know it when it happens to you.

But for now, glory in where you are on your trail! And Neil... I got well on through seminary and right into ministry before I lost my religion. Luckily I found my faith still was alive, down there in the rubble. God is so much bigger than our churches!

I have candles lit for both of you today in the bodega chapel.
Rebekah

http://www.moratinoslife.blogspot.com

Rebekah, many thanks for your thoughts and remeberance and the candles, I hope to see you as I make my way in May.

niel

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Rebekah, Niel, Sil,

Thanks so very much!

My next Epiphany is to use spell check rather than blundering ahead, also, darn..."Within the Way Without"...self inspection isn't a bad thing.

Oh, Rebekah, on another thread I took you up on your offer of bodega or Cave San Simeon. Don't forget as I make my Way.

Buen Camino,
Arn

I look forward to meeting you lot, too. Just make sure to email me personally (at rebrites (at) yahoo.com) when you think you´ll be by, so I don´t take off somewhere and miss you. (Like I did with Sil! :(

Life is good
reb

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back