• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I need a.....

Fint71

Hello,

I need a push, slap or a good kick in the back side.

What the feck am I doing or should I say; Not doing.

Did my first Camino in 2011. From Le Puy to Santiago to Finisterre to Muxia.

Out of work for a time after my Camino.

Back working for the last few years.

I now feel the Camino calling me back very strongly lately.

I need a slap in the face to wake me up ( a slap of strong words will suffice ! )

The fear of leaving a job is an issue but not a life or death issue. I am well able to pick up the pieces again if I need to.

The thing is that is all or nothing with me. I could not do a Camino is 2 week stages. I want to book a one way flight and finish when I finish, no time restrictions.

Anyone here had similar inner conflicts ?

Thanks.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
You're looking in the last place in the world to find that kind of slap in the face.
If that's what you really want try non-Camino family and friends!

Hello,

I need a push, slap or a good kick in the back side.

What the feck am I doing or should I say; Not doing.

Did my first Camino in 2011. From Le Puy to Santiago to Finisterre to Muxia.

Out of work for a time after my Camino.

Back working for the last few years.

I now feel the Camino calling me back very strongly lately.

I need a slap in the face to wake me up ( a slap of strong words will suffice ! )

The fear of leaving a job is an issue but not a life or death issue. I am well able to pick up the pieces again if I need to.

The thing is that is all or nothing with me. I could not do a Camino is 2 week stages. I want to book a one way flight and finish when I finish, no time restrictions.

Anyone here had similar inner conflicts ?

Thanks.
I completely understand you. And if I may add you don't need a slap, a kick in the ass will be enough to send you on your way :D

Ultreia!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Fint71,
My parents did the Camino Frances in 2009 and I joined them in Leon and walked with them for 3 days. Since that time the Camino has not stopped calling and like you I wanted to do it in its entirety as opposed to two week stretches. Full time employment made that difficult. Yesterday however, I resigned my job and am setting off to SJPDP on 26 May (one way ticket) to start my walk. In my case the timing coincides with me considering a career change and wanting a time out to reflect on where my life is heading, but my advice to you would be: (in the wise words of Nike: just do it!)
Good luck and buen Camino!

You're looking in the last place in the world to find that kind of slap in the face.
If that's what you really want try non-Camino family and friends!
Thanks but I think I need do need to hear from my Camino famiy. The ones who understand what I'm trying to say. Thanks again.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Fint71,
My parents did the Camino Frances in 2009 and I joined them in Leon and walked with them for 3 days. Since that time the Camino has not stopped calling and like you I wanted to do it in its entirety as opposed to two week stretches. Full time employment made that difficult. Yesterday however, I resigned my job and am setting off to SJPDP on 26 May (one way ticket) to start my walk. In my case the timing coincides with me considering a career change and wanting a time out to reflect on where my life is heading, but my advice to you would be: (in the wise words of Nike: just do it!)
Good luck and buen Camino!
Thanks. You where of a similar mind set me in 2011. I quit my job in 2011 and done my first Camino on a one way ticket. I too needed a career change and I did so when I returned after re-training. The Camino changed my thought process for the good and forever. The strange thing is that I am happy with my career change but I can't shake off the 'calling'.

Its might be another one way ticket so and feck any employer who can't see the funny side of it !

Last edited:
Dont live in regret for what you may feel on your closing hours..
When all the smoke has cleared and the band is putting their instruments away
Ohh Danny Boy,the pipers calling...

I dont intend to face that intense regret,not if it is in my power to make the journey
As long as their is hope of starry nites under Spanish skys
Pilgrims in with their tatty souls,the ragged clothes and a longing for the feeling of Hope.
Make that step.
My time has been long upon many roads
Worn,broken and weary...I Would not trade a moment of being..."out there"
For a lifetime of regret.
Look you,inside...
In your final chapters
Would that you could have walked one more time...to rather...I did
Peace be on your Road

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I call it hungry and thirsty (I well up with tears even as I write it). I am longing to be filled although I am sure from all the posts here that there will never be a time when I am satiated.

I have the same dilemma as you op. Have been struggling with this for the past couple of months-in fact, I'm still struggling. It fills my thoughts on a daily basis and at night, I dream of the places I have been, re-tracing every footstep. My Camino had a profound effect on me-as it clearly does for most people. I am a different person since I put my rucksack on my back and hit the road in September 2011. I relate to the world in a different way. It gave me courage. All very positive until this descended on me-this terrible restlessness, this unease, this feeling that I need to throw on the boots and head for the airport lickety split. It's such a strong emotion, it's almost overwhelming. When I read your post yesterday, I realised that it was the call of the Camino that I am experiencing. It couldn't come at a more awkward time, as I'm just about to change career, leaving something that I absolutely love and gave up so much to do in the first place, for a more settled job. I wonder is it that I am longing for the freedom that I found on the Camino rather than face starting into the stress of a new job, a different and more mundane life? I think the answer is to go-or to plan to go maybe-but don't ignore it. As a very wise man once said to me 'There's currants for cake but there's raisins for everything' (you might have to be Irish to get this one). Good luck with whatever you decide.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hola Fint71,
I saw the movie "The Way" last year, it sparkled my interest in doing El Camino. So for the last year I have been thinking about it, talking about it with my family, friends and co-workers, finally in January I decided to embark on this journey. Well, my plans were not approved by many people, because of work, family and because of my physical condition (I have lived a very sedentary lifestyle for the last 18 years!). In March I decided that this journey will mark a new beginning for me! I quit my job, bought a airline ticket to Spain and I should be there on May 12th, I gave my self 62 days to finish El Camino and hang out and do what ever I want. What will I do afterwards, I DO NOT KNOW, GOD WILL PROVIDE! :)

JUST DO IT! "In the end we only regret the chances we didn't take"

Yup, wrong place to come for a slap and discouragement :D But you knew that. Can you mix the two? Take out all your hols and add a bit of unpaid leave? If you are happy in your job there is no point in quitting it if you can get enough time off to do the camino and still come back to it. I am lucky enough to be self employed and I worked like a thing possessed before I went, took six weeks off to walk and land back home, then had to get straight back into long hours to catch up. It is doable. You'll have no hols left afterwards, but hey, you can go on long walks at the weekend and have a micro camino adventure!

Oh yeah, I'm also voting GO!
Buen camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Oh,
I have the same dilemma as you op. Have been struggling with this for the past couple of months-in fact, I'm still struggling. It fills my thoughts on a daily basis and at night, I dream of the places I have been, re-tracing every footstep. My Camino had a profound effect on me-as it clearly does for most people. I am a different person since I put my rucksack on my back and hit the road in September 2011. I relate to the world in a different way. It gave me courage. All very positive until this descended on me-this terrible restlessness, this unease, this feeling that I need to throw on the boots and head for the airport lickety split. It's such a strong emotion, it's almost overwhelming. When I read your post yesterday, I realised that it was the call of the Camino that I am experiencing. It couldn't come at a more awkward time, as I'm just about to change career, leaving something that I absolutely love and gave up so much to do in the first place, for a more settled job. I wonder is it that I am longing for the freedom that I found on the Camino rather than face starting into the stress of a new job, a different and more mundane life? I think the answer is to go-or to plan to go maybe-but don't ignore it. As a very wise man once said to me 'There's currants for cake but there's raisins for everything' (you might have to be Irish to get this one). Good luck with whatever you decide.
Oh, I'm very much Irish and know that saying. Did you get an Irish Camino Passport in Dublin before your Camino ? For me it was nice to have one and I made a trip up to Dublin to St James gate at Guinness to get my first stamp there.
Part of me thinks that I should make hay while the sun shines and keep working/saving as much as possible with a goal to slowing right down work wise in a couple of years but I aint getting any younger and tomorrow is never guaranteed.
I might just flip a coin. Thanks anyway.

Hola Fint71,
I saw the movie "The Way" last year, it sparkled my interest in doing El Camino. So for the last year I have been thinking about it, talking about it with my family, friends and co-workers, finally in January I decided to embark on this journey. Well, my plans were not approved by many people, because of work, family and because of my physical condition (I have lived a very sedentary lifestyle for the last 18 years!). In March I decided that this journey will mark a new beginning for me! I quit my job, bought a airline ticket to Spain and I should be there on May 12th, I gave my self 62 days to finish El Camino and hang out and do what ever I want. What will I do afterwards, I DO NOT KNOW, GOD WILL PROVIDE! :)

JUST DO IT! "In the end we only regret the chances we didn't take"
Good for you. You will not regret it. On your return take time to reflect. St James will have a chat with God on your behalf. With 62 days you will have plenty of time to continue past Santiago to Finisterre and Muxia. Enjoy.

Dont live in regret for what you may feel on your closing hours..
When all the smoke has cleared and the band is putting their instruments away
Ohh Danny Boy,the pipers calling...

I dont intend to face that intense regret,not if it is in my power to make the journey
As long as their is hope of starry nites under Spanish skys
Pilgrims in with their tatty souls,the ragged clothes and a longing for the feeling of Hope.
Make that step.
My time has been long upon many roads
Worn,broken and weary...I Would not trade a moment of being..."out there"
For a lifetime of regret.
Look you,inside...
In your final chapters
Would that you could have walked one more time...to rather...I did
Peace be on your Road
Your words have cut a deep wound.
Your words have caused me some pain because William you speak the truth and for that I Thank You !

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Oh,

Oh, I'm very much Irish and know that saying. Did you get an Irish Camino Passport in Dublin before your Camino ? For me it was nice to have one and I made a trip up to Dublin to St James gate at Guinness to get my first stamp there.
Part of me thinks that I should make hay while the sun shines and keep working/saving as much as possible with a goal to slowing right down work wise in a couple of years but I aint getting any younger and tomorrow is never guaranteed.
I might just flip a coin. Thanks anyway.

Yip-got my passport from Betty in the Irish Society. Am from Galway, so although am partial to a Guinness (or two), didn't make it to St. James's Gate. It's such a tough decision. I'm going to resist the urge to run for the hills at the moment (if I can), and hang on until later in the year. I started the Norte with a few friends in 2013, so I'll have to get back and finish that. Enjoy, Fint71, whatever way that coin lands!

Cutting away the uneeded detritus and umbilicus of the outside life,to pursue your destiny where the wind and stars collide...
That is what some would call foolish...
Others call it the answer to the clarion call in your soul.
These wounds will heal and add to the charm that travel etches on a person,bofy and soul.
Go forth without fear or looking back,
This is your life
This is your time
This is the moment and here is your sign.
^

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, At this stage looks like we are going to finish in SdC on Friday, our flight home is only Monday night. The weather forecast doesnt look to be promising - showers over the whole weekend...
Hi all We are walking the reverse Camino from Muxia to Santiago via Fisterra. Any tips or information to help us on our way?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back