• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help needed August to Finisterre/Muxia from Santiago.

MickMac

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2013
Frances 2016
Frances 2017
Frances 2018
Frances 2018
Ponferrada-Santiago
July 2019
I want to take 5 to 6 days relaxing walk to Fiinisterre and Muxia late August.

Couple of questions looking for "stop" recommendations want to average 20-25 kms per day ? , would like Pensions or Casa rural or Albergues with private room ? so any recommendations ?

Also does mono bus still run from Muxia to Santiago at end of August timetable stops in July ?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
For whatever it is worth, it took me fours days to walk from Santiago de Compostela to Muxia, two days to walk from there south to Finisterre, and another four days to walk from there back to Santiago. My route bifurcation point was at the traffic circle beside the metal smelter on top of the hill (name of locale = Dumbria?) just west of Oliveira.

Beautiful country and great people there.

The last time that I walked to the coast I followed the stages suggested by Albergue Monte Aro, which worked well, and it was a great albergue.

Screenshot_20230625_153640_Firefox.jpg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Also does mono bus still run from Muxia to Santiago at end of August timetable stops in July ?
Bus lines seem to publish two months of schedules, this month, or what's left of it, and next month. You will need to check after the start of next month for the August schedules. Monbus do provide a service, but there appear to be other companies operating on this route as well. The Xunta website bus.gal can be searched as well as monbus.es for timings and route details.

The last time that I walked to the coast I followed the stages suggested by Albergue Monte Aro, which worked well, and it was a great albergue.

View attachment 150205

Looks good thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
We 3 ( older pilgrims ) walked 7 days. Santiago to Finistere to Muxia. Recommended distances pretty much according to John Brierley's guide book.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We are doing it even slower 5 days to Finesterre and 2 days to Muxia, then bus back to Santiago in early October, looks like Monbus is running then. averaging around 20 kms per day. Taking advantage of Casa Jurjo shuttle service.

Last edited:
We are doing it even slower 5 days to Finnesterre and 2 days to Muxia, then bus back to Santiago in early October, looks like Monbus is running then. 2 of our nights, averaging around 20 kms per day. Taking advantage of Casa Jurjo shuttle service.
That's what we did.

I don’t know what stages you want to walk, but here are some recommendations:

I would highly recommend the Pensión As Pias in Olveiroa. This is one of the few places in that town that pre-dates the massification of the camino to Finisterre/Muxia and is the most popular place for locals for tapas/bar, etc.

In Moraime, if you take the route to Muxia first, the monastery in Moraime now has an albergue/pensión. I would love to stay there.

The albergue in Dumbria, if you go first to Muxia, is a pretty amazing albergue, funded by the Gallego who owns Zara and many other clothing operations.

Are you planning to go first to Finisterre or Muxia?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I want to take 5 to 6 days relaxing walk to Fiinisterre and Muxia late August.

Couple of questions looking for "stop" recommendations want to average 20-25 kms per day ? , would like Pensions or Casa rural or Albergues with private room ? so any recommendations ?

I walk slow / short days.

I did it in 6 days last month.

Negreira 20.6 kms
Santa Marina 20.7 kms
O Logoso 16.5 kms
Corcubion 17.8 kms
Fisterra 10.8 kms (plus extra 6 km round trip to lighthouse)
Muxia 27.8 kms

Private accommodation all the way as I wanted to leave some gear in Santiago and travel 'lighter' than I had been up to that point.

There are lots of accommodation options.
I added in a couple of extra nice ones....... as I had been on the road a long time and was winding down.
All private rooms with own bathroom.

Negreira (Hostal San Jose - turned out to be a whole apartment - washing machine in Albergue part)
Santa Marina (Casa Pepa - flies, but it's a working farm - nice people and bar)
O Logoso (Hostal / Pension O Logoso - really nice place, bar, food)
Corcubion (Pension Mar Viva - great location 2 min walk from the Harbour)
Fisterra (Hospedium H Cabo Sport - great location 2 min walk from the Harbour - washing machine ground floor)
Muxia (Apartamentos Costa da Morte Muxia - studio apartment with view over the Harbour and washing machine)

Accommodation reccomendations are always risky! We all have different expectations, budgets and quirks. And a lot can depend on who else is staying there, staffing etc etc.

So with those caveats, I enjoyed staying in all of these.

The final day was a bit longer than I prefer.
But with a pre dawn start, second breakfast at Lires, and plenty of water, it wasn't hard.
Took me 8.5 hours including breaks.

Re the distances, those are from Gronze.
My actual distances from GPS were usually a km or so shorter.
Nice surprise at the end of the day......

I have a daily blog of that section, SDC to Muxia here.

SDC to Muxia

You should see the accommodation as well as the terrain.

Last edited:
In mid May, my son and I walked from Muxia to Santiago. We planned ahead to have shorter stages when possible and it worked out very well, including some great weather.
I used booking.com and all lodgings were superb; highly recommend!

*Muxia- 2 nights-
Apt. Praia do Capitan
*Muxia to Dumbria, (21k)-
Casa A Pichona
*Dumbria to Quintans, (17k)-
Virexdao Pension
*Quintans to Vilaserio, (17k)-
Pension Orueiro Vilaserio
*Vilaserio to Ventosa, (24k)-
A Casa do Boi
*Ventosa to Santiago, (8k)

I walk slow / short days.

I did it in 6 days last month.

Negreira 20.6 kms
Santa Marina 20.7 kms
O Logoso 16.5 kms
Corcubion 17.8 kms
Fisterra 10.8 kms (plus extra 6 km round trip to lighthouse)
Muxia 27.8 kms

Private accommodation all the way as I wanted to leave some gear in Santiago and travel 'lighter' than I had been up to that point.

There are lots of accommodation options.
I added in a couple of extra nice ones....... as I had been on the road a long time and was winding down.
All private rooms with own bathroom.

Negreira (Hostal San Jose - turned out to be a whole apartment - washing machine in Albergue part)
Santa Marina (Casa Pepa - flies, but it's a working farm - nice people and bar)
O Logoso (Hostal / Pension O Logoso - really nice place, bar, food)
Corcubion (Pension Mar Viva - great location 2 min walk from the Harbour)
Fisterra (Hospedium H Cabo Sport - great location 2 min walk from the Harbour - washing machine ground floor)
Muxia (Apartamentos Costa da Morte Muxia - studio apartment with view over the Harbour and washing machine)

Accommodation reccomendations are always risky! We all have different expectations, budgets and quirks. And a lot can depend on who else is staying there, staffing etc etc.

So with those caveats, I enjoyed staying in all of these.

The final day was a bit longer than I prefer.
But with a pre dawn start, second breakfast at Lires, and plenty of water, it wasn't hard.
Took me 8.5 hours including breaks.

Re the distances, those are from Gronze.
My actual distances from GPS were usually a km or so shorter.
Nice surprise at the end of the day......

I have a daily blog of that section, SDC to Muxia here.

SDC to Muxia

You should see the accommodation as well as the terrain.
Brilliant many thanks Robo

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In mid May, my son and I walked from Muxia to Santiago. We planned ahead to have shorter stages when possible and it worked out very well, including some great weather.
I used booking.com and all lodgings were superb; highly recommend!

*Muxia- 2 nights-
Apt. Praia do Capitan
*Muxia to Dumbria, (21k)-
Casa A Pichona
*Dumbria to Quintans, (17k)-
Virexdao Pension
*Quintans to Vilaserio, (17k)-
Pension Orueiro Vilaserio
*Vilaserio to Ventosa, (24k)-
A Casa do Boi
*Ventosa to Santiago, (8k)
Great help thank you.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, At this stage looks like we are going to finish in SdC on Friday, our flight home is only Monday night. The weather forecast doesnt look to be promising - showers over the whole weekend...
Hi all We are walking the reverse Camino from Muxia to Santiago via Fisterra. Any tips or information to help us on our way?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back