• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I want to walk the Camino

Angel132

Time of past OR future Camino
2020, 2028, 2035
I want to walk the camino de santiago in 2020 for the first time. I am from Canada how much money do i need, How long does it take, and what do I need to pack? Is there anything a 24 year old should expect taking the trip? I want to take this pilgrimage to hopefully find some answers that i have been looking for.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Lots of questions, but luckily you have a lot of time to plan.

I would suggest you buy a copy of the John Brierley guidebook, or anyother one for that matter (some are sold on this Forum, look in the shop section) and visit some of the online guides as well. You will see all you need to know about distances, topography, weather, etc. I like thos site: http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/mobile/los-caminos-de-santiago/frances/

Other like Gronze or MundiCamino.

You can also use the search function on the Forum and see what comes up, or search section by section.

Many of the questions you have are asked weekly, so the answers are there. And honnestly, the planning is perhaps just as much fun as the actual walking.

To get you started, plan on 30€ a day, plus inflation, for a comfortable Camino staying in albergues.

*Smiles* Welcome to the forum @Angel132

A lot of your questions will be answered by using the search feature in the top right corner, or, if not answered, at least you get a variety of different opinions ;-) Some pointers:

Money: You need to budget for travel to your starting point and back home again plus gear plus daily expenses.
Time Frame: Depends where you are starting form ;-)
Packing: Only what you really, really need, which is less than you think ;-)

Buen Camino, SY

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
*Smiles* Welcome to the forum @Angel132

A lot of your questions will be answered by using the search feature in the top right corner, or, if not answered, at least you get a variety of different opinions ;-) Some pointers:

Money: You need to budget for travel to your starting point and back home again plus gear plus daily expenses.
Time Frame: Depends where you are starting form ;-)
Packing: Only what you really, really need, which is less than you think ;-)

Buen Camino, SY
Whats the furthest journey i can take? Like the furthest distance for walking

Angel, rather than give you a lot of answers and information all at one time, may I suggest that you spend some time reading the various postings on this forum. You will get a feel for who are the people who have walked the camino a number of times. Some of these kind women and men have written books, others have their own blogs. Over time you will gain a deeper understanding of what you can expect and will find help as you begin your preparation. Just one for starters, SYates has a wealth of wisdom (I happen to see at her name at the moment).

Buen camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I want to walk the camino de santiago in 2020 for the first time. I am from Canada how much money do i need, How long does it take, and what do I need to pack? Is there anything a 24 year old should expect taking the trip? I want to take this pilgrimage to hopefully find some answers that i have been looking for.

Welcome to the forum. Your Camino has already started, although sounds like its a few years before your set foot in Spain!

Money: You need a plane ticket, equipment, and living costs while you are there. Figure about $1000 for the flights, although that depends where you are coming from, plus another $200 or so getting to the trail head and recovering from jetlag. Equipment cost is all over the map, but you really only need a backpack, shoes, and something to sleep in. Could be done for $300, but you might want some fancy rain gear and wool shirts as well, adding a few more hundred. Living costs on the Camino are low if you stay in Albergues, and eat the Pilgrim menus. Many people do it for 30 euros a day.

Time: Depends on the route, and where you start. There are no rules to this. If you want do do the traditional Camino Frances from St. Jean in France, its just over a month, depending on the speed you walk. From Canada (or anywhere else far away!) Give yourself at least five and preferably six weeks away from home so you do not feel rushed.

Packing: You can debate this with yourself for the next two years. You need a change of clothes, and layers/rain gear appropriate for the season you walk. Not much else!

Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You don't need much. Airfare and train, bus money from where you are coming from. Comfortable shoes with good soles, a pack that fits well and isn't too large. A few clothes, soap, rain poncho.

I spent a few months reading the forum and using search (it's in the upper right corner of the page). Just read and read, there is so much great information, differing of opinions and choices you can make that fit you. We are leaving in 6 weeks and what I learned here has been invaluable.

Happy planning.

Wealth of wisdom? - I do not know! Just made a few mistakes along the way and learned from those ;-) Buen Camino, SY
No SY - you are one of 4 or 5 who really qualify for this "title". Viz your answers to this post!! (hope you enjoyed the wine!!??)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hola @Angel132, more welcomes. You are now a part of the "camino family". We can promise you as much support as you can take (want or need). At least 99% of your questions will be answered (either specifically/directly or in general), its then up to you to use this information.
As for budgeting - airfares vary, depending upon which month of the year you fly, so start some local investigations so that you get a feel for what each airline or web site is telling you. If there is a travel agent in your town cultivate them as friends, they often get wind of cheaper flights than you see on line, they also can advise on hotels etc (much of it general).
As for your equipment: there is a section on this Forum that provides good advice and often has posts from pilgrims who have stuff for sale (or even free - you just pay the freight!). Otherwise check out the "outdoor/adventure" stores in your local area, end of season sales often see great bargains. If you are intending to wear boots (rather than just trainers -you will see lots of opinions on this aspect) buy them about 3 to 6 months in advance so that they are well broken-in (consider adding after market extra thick innersoles).
So now you are in "Camino mode", come back here as often as you like, as more questions. Buen Camino :)

Oh @Angel132 , brace yourself on this forum. As you have experienced by now, people love to repeat what you have already been told by someone else, or give you answers to a question that has never occured to you, or you already know the answer to. But once in a while there is a gem, so hang in there. :cool:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Welcome to the forum. Your Camino has already started, although sounds like its a few years before your set foot in Spain!

Money: You need a plane ticket, equipment, and living costs while you are there. Figure about $1000 for the flights, although that depends where you are coming from, plus another $200 or so getting to the trail head and recovering from jetlag. Equipment cost is all over the map, but you really only need a backpack, shoes, and something to sleep in. Could be done for $300, but you might want some fancy rain gear and wool shirts as well, adding a few more hundred. Living costs on the Camino are low if you stay in Albergues, and eat the Pilgrim menus. Many people do it for 30 euros a day.

Time: Depends on the route, and where you start. There are no rules to this. If you want do do the traditional Camino Frances from St. Jean in France, its just over a month, depending on the speed you walk. From Canada (or anywhere else far away!) Give yourself at least five and preferably six weeks away from home so you do not feel rushed.

Packing: You can debate this with yourself for the next two years. You need a change of clothes, and layers/rain gear appropriate for the season you walk. Not much else!

Buen Camino
I want to do it over a couple months at least I want this to be a spiritual journey. Something that I can learn from, I am a future pastor so I want to learn lots. have you been on it? Message me if so i want to know a little bit of experiences... best times to go.

@Angel132 With a longer pilgrimage, like at least a couple of months, you need to consider also visa regulations. It would help us to help you if you tell us where you from from/your nationality. As for preparing a longer pilgrimage, it would be helpful to know what kind of hiking experience you already have.
As you prepare for Christian ministry/being a pastor, doing a pilgrimage will certainly give you insights in others and yourself.
Buen Camino, SY

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Oh @Angel132 , brace yourself on this forum. As you have experienced by now, people love to repeat what you have already been told by someone else, or give you answers to a question that has never occured to you, or you already know the answer to. But once in a while there is a gem, so hang in there. :cool:
I. Spain what's the furthest journey

@Angel132 With a longer pilgrimage, like at least a couple of months, you need to consider also visa regulations. It would help us to help you if you tell us where you from from/your nationality. As for preparing a longer pilgrimage, it would be helpful to know what kind of hiking experience you already have.
As you prepare for Christian ministry/being a pastor, doing a pilgrimage will certainly give you insights in others and yourself.
Buen Camino, SY
I'm from Canada Saskatchewan. Very little hiking experience. Can't get around much too broke being a college student

One thing you might expect, as a 24 year old taking this trip, is that you will want to do it again. And maybe again! There are many many books written by people who have walked the Camino, with insights about their spiritual experience. I would suggest to read up on the history of the Camino too. As a future pastor, the more you know about the history of this pilgrimage, the more you will enjoy it, I would think.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
One thing you might expect, as a 24 year old taking this trip, is that you will want to do it again. And maybe again! There are many many books written by people who have walked the Camino, with insights about their spiritual experience. I would suggest to read up on the history of the Camino too. As a future pastor, the more you know about the history of this pilgrimage, the more you will enjoy it, I would think.
I'll be 23 24 when taking the trip. Right now 21 I want to do it as soon as I convocate

I. Spain what's the furthest journey
Hola @Angel132 - there are (roughly) 11 Caminos. The Frances (starting at St Jean Pied de Port0 is the most popular and is approximately 785km when you finish in Santiago - add another 80-100 km if you intend to walk to Finisterre/Muxia. The Via de la Plata is the longest at 1100 km. The other 9 are somewhere in between. The Frances is the one most often chosen for first timers.
As we have said do some more research and form your questions. We will do our best to answer. If you prefer you can select people who have walked 3 or 4 or 5 caminos and send them private messages (there is a facility for this). Its a useful tool when you have slightly off-normal questions (ie of a personal nature). Cheers

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Good morning, I completely understand that you are super excited. I do not mean to not answer your questions but I understand also that preparation for your pilgrimage is a process, and an important part of your journey, that will evolve over the next two years before you leave. There are many things to think about, many choices to be made and very little one right answer. You have to find what is right for you. That is why I suggested reading first to give you a better idea of some specific questions to ask when you need help in that area. The reasoning is to give you the means to find from your own research most of what you want and need to know, and therefore gain confidence, instead of give you all the answers. One of my favorite blogs is mermore.blogspot.fr. This woman has walked the camino many times and has a minimal packing list that I used as a model for my own. Do not read every book or blog out there, it becomes too much. My favorite book is To the Field of Stars by Kevin Codd, my next favorite is Pilgrimage to the End of the World by Conrad Rudolph. Many pilgrims buy the guidebook by John Brierley but there are other very good guides.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
You can start your research here:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/camino-de-santiago-–-getting-started-guide.334/

Additionally to the resources you can add the FAQ:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/frequently-asked-questions.16/

And the Trending Topics change from day to day...
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/trending/topics

If you follow the links it gets time-consuming and fun.

You can go to youtube and look for "Camino". Or search for books. Or take the recommondations from this thread.

Probably I should warn you. 2020 sounds far away... I have had a little interest in the Camino since 2010. Always thought... in some years. Some weeks ago I thought August 2018 would be a good time to start (should be in the summer holidays because of the children). So my planning got much more time-consuming and much more fun. But now I think sometimes... if I would be without wife and children, I would probably cancel my summer holiday 2017 immediately and start in one or two weeks with the Camino.

I watched many youtube-videos or films one time and liked it.
This video I have seen many times:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/what-i-learnt-along-the-way-film.49141/

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hola @Angel132 - there are (roughly) 11 Caminos. The Frances (starting at St Jean Pied de Port0 is the most popular and is approximately 785km when you finish in Santiago - add another 80-100 km if you intend to walk to Finisterre/Muxia. The Via de la Plata is the longest at 1100 km. The other 9 are somewhere in between. The Frances is the one most often chosen for first timers.
As we have said do some more research and form your questions. We will do our best to answer. If you prefer you can select people who have walked 3 or 4 or 5 caminos and send them private messages (there is a facility for this). Its a useful tool when you have slightly off-normal questions (ie of a personal nature). Cheers
How long for the via del la plata

How long for the via del la plata
Are you asking about the length in kilometers or the length of time to walk? In either case you can enter those very words in Google and find lots of information. The second hit found a thread from this forum with a discussion about how many days to take. (There is no "one" answer, as it depends on how fast you walk and how many rest days you need or want.)

Are you asking about the length in kilometers or the length of time to walk? In either case you can enter those very words in Google and find lots of information. The second hit found a thread from this forum with a discussion about how many days to take. (There is no "one" answer, as it depends on how fast you walk and how many rest days you need or want.)
Rest days? I just want 8 hours of sleep a night. My Camino journey is supposed to be a restful spiritual journey... I'm also thinking of moving my date up for next summer

€83,-
My Camino journey is supposed to be a restful spiritual journey
Walking 1100 km (or 800 or 100) is not exactly "restful"! o_O It may be spiritual and may bring calm to your mind, but it doesn't bring rest to your body! You might well need rest days to heal injuries or blisters.

That is exciting that you might walk next year. Have you walked a couple of back-to-back 25 km days to see how your feet respond? Then try it with a backpack. That will help give you a bit of an idea of the preparations and compromises that must be made.

Rest days? ... I'm also thinking of moving my date up for next summer
Yes, because 800km takes a toll on your joints, ligaments, muscles, causes blisters. I do not plan "rest days" but a number of shorter days, bit I have also had to come home early this year when I tore a meniscus

As for summer walking, forget VDLP. Too hot, too dangerous.

As for "how long"?, may I refer you once again to the websotes I recommended to you last Sunday, whenyou first posted? Honnestly, the planning is an important part of the fun of the Caminos.

Rest days? I just want 8 hours of sleep a night. My Camino journey is supposed to be a restful spiritual journey... I'm also thinking of moving my date up for next summer

Yes 8 hours sleep might be an ideal wish, but from my experience on two Caminos is virtually not achievable. You are in a different bed each night; you share a room with 3, 5, 20 pilgrims each night. Unless you intend to sleep in private accommodation. At a significant increase in expense. Thus it is wise to schedule rest days, plus this a part of Spain where much of its historical events took place. I would strongly recommend rest days in Pamplona, Burgos & Leon, for a rest for your body (those 8 hours sleep in a private room) & to recharge your spirits!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back