• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I was the peregrina that was assaulted close to Sacavem on Camino Portugues

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugués (September, 2017)
✨Is with a heavy heart that I have to announced that my walk to Santiago de Compostela from Lisbon has been interrupted.
On Tuesday, September 19th I started walking from Se Cathedral in Lisbon, walked for 5 hours making a quick stop for a cappuccino at Parque das Nacoes. My goal was to get to Sacavem, have lunch there and continue to the hostel few hours from there. Those 5 hours of walk were full of joy, I felt very happy and fulfilled doing what I love. It was after I had to take a turn into a path by the Tijo River that destiny changed. This part was well marked showing that it was the route to Santiago (yellow arrow) and to Fatima (Blue Arrow), very isolated area, not much around. River to my left and just bushes and hills to the right. At the beginning I was able to see the highway or road up above to the right on the hill. To make a long story short, after half and hour I crossed path with a jogger, then 40 minutes later on his way back he assaulted me. Without going into much details he jumped me and robbed me. There was a struggle between us. Everything that unfolded after that will be for another post once I am ready to talk about it. Just know that I am fine, thankfully he did not stabbed me, broke any bones nor raped me. Only my face is in bad shape as at one point he kicked me several times with his feet while I was on the floor. But I promise that I am not hurting, I am fine considering the situation. Know that my spirit has not been broken, I am not angry and I truly forgive him. What happened to me could have happened anywhere, in any street of any city around the world but for whatever reason this experience was meant for me. While I was waiting for the police and ambulance I saw and Italian peregrina girl walk by, then thirty minutes later a peregrino guy, so this could have happened to them but I guess it was my time. This is the first time in my life that experience any kind of violence.
This incident is not a reflection on Portugal or its people, nor the Caminos. Bad people are everywhere but know that kind people outnumber those bad once. Throughout this, I have not felt alone once. I was really taken care by everyone that I came in contact these past few days. This include the paramedics, the staff at the Hospital Beatriz Angelo, the different police departments that were involved, from the one at the hospital to the GNR. Also I can not say enough about the staff at the current hotel I am staying at, they were the only hotel that when all was set and done they agree to give me a room with no credit card, just took my word that I would pay them the next day while I figure things out (will post their info once I am gone). The police helped me find this hotel, not the US Embassy who really left me hanging on my own at 9pm at night when I called them from the hospital as I was being released. They only assisted to get me a temporary passport the next day where I had to go in person, but they would not pay for one night hotel, they expected me to call relatives or friends in the States to send me money. Did I say this was at 9pm at night and all beaten up! But details of this will be told in another post as I am very disappointed with their procedure. We all get the sense and been told that if anything happens abroad to a US citizen we will be taken care of. Yes, right...

Also, I do call upon Portuguese authorities and organizations involved with this Camino to reconsider the marking of the Camino from Lisbon. The police was very surprised to know that this is the route peregrinos are encouraged to take. This is not a good area to be at. They even mentioned to me that even if people walk in groups (there was a group of four Hispanic ladies probably in their late 50's that I met after the assault that waited with me for the police) there will be nothing they could do as if a gang tried to robbed them as there is literally nothing around there and no police presence.
Today Via Lucitana contacted me to check on me and offer their help and support. Thanks to @peregrina2000 who got in touch with them and has been checking up on me. I really appreciated.
Via Lucitana told me they reported yesterday the incident to the Ministry of tourism in hopes that they get more police presence in the area.

So you maybe asking if I will return to the US now, well, no. I will stay in Lisbon for five days to recover and then plan to travel to Fatima next week to pray to the Virgen as I am very thankful that I am alive. After that I will reassess my options.

I will be posting more on this incident and future plans on Facebook and IG @theworldmyvillage

Peace out from Lisbon and this is a reminder to live life to the fullest everyday as tomorrow is never guaranteed ❤️
---
TMA: Fri Sep 22 2017 00:55:41 GMT+0100 (WEST).jpg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
✨Is with a heavy heart that I have to announced that my walk to Santiago de Compostela from Lisbon has been interrupted.
On Tuesday, September 19th I started walking from Se Cathedral in Lisbon, walked for 5 hours making a quick stop for a cappuccino at Parque das Nacoes. My goal was to get to Sacavem, have lunch there and continue to the hostel few hours from there. Those 5 hours of walk were full of joy, I felt very happy and fulfilled doing what I love. It was after I had to take a turn into a path by the Tijo River that destiny changed. This part was well marked showing that it was the route to Santiago (yellow arrow) and to Fatima (Blue Arrow), very isolated area, not much around. River to my left and just bushes and hills to the right. At the beginning I was able to see the highway or road up above to the right on the hill. To make a long story short, after half and hour I crossed path with a jogger, then 40 minutes later on his way back he assaulted me. Without going into much details he jumped me and robbed me. There was a struggle between us. Everything that unfolded after that will be for another post once I am ready to talk about it. Just know that I am fine, thankfully he did not stabbed me, broke any bones nor raped me. Only my face is in bad shape as at one point he kicked me several times with his feet while I was on the floor. But I promise that I am not hurting, I am fine considering the situation. Know that my spirit has not been broken, I am not angry and I truly forgive him. What happened to me could have happened anywhere, in any street of any city around the world but for whatever reason this experience was meant for me. While I was waiting for the police and ambulance I saw and Italian peregrina girl walk by, then thirty minutes later a peregrino guy, so this could have happened to them but I guess it was my time. This is the first time in my life that experience any kind of violence.
This incident is not a reflection on Portugal or its people, nor the Caminos. Bad people are everywhere but know that kind people outnumber those bad once. Throughout this, I have not felt alone once. I was really taken care by everyone that I came in contact these past few days. This include the paramedics, the staff at the Hospital Beatriz Angelo, the different police departments that were involved, from the one at the hospital to the GNR. Also I can not say enough about the staff at the current hotel I am staying at, they were the only hotel that when all was set and done they agree to give me a room with no credit card, just took my word that I would pay them the next day while I figure things out (will post their info once I am gone). The police helped me find this hotel, not the US Embassy who really left me hanging on my own at 9pm at night when I called them from the hospital as I was being released. They only assisted to get me a temporary passport the next day where I had to go in person, but they would not pay for one night hotel, they expected me to call relatives or friends in the States to send me money. Did I say this was at 9pm at night and all beaten up! But details of this will be told in another post as I am very disappointed with their procedure. We all get the sense and been told that if anything happens abroad to a US citizen we will be taken care of. Yes, right...

Also, I do call upon Portuguese authorities and organizations involved with this Camino to reconsider the marking of the Camino from Lisbon. The police was very surprised to know that this is the route peregrinos are encouraged to take. This is not a good area to be at. They even mentioned to me that even if people walk in groups (there was a group of four Hispanic ladies probably in their late 50's that I met after the assault that waited with me for the police) there will be nothing they could do as if a gang tried to robbed them as there is literally nothing around there and no police presence.
Today Via Lucitana contacted me to check on me and offer their help and support. Thanks to @peregrina2000 who got in touch with them and has been checking up on me. I really appreciated.
Via Lucitana told me they reported yesterday the incident to the Ministry of tourism in hopes that they get more police presence in the area.

So you maybe asking if I will return to the US now, well, no. I will stay in Lisbon for five days to recover and then plan to travel to Fatima next week to pray to the Virgen as I am very thankful that I am alive. After that I will reassess my options.

I will be posting more on this incident and future plans on Facebook and IG @theworldmyvillage

Peace out from Lisbon and this is a reminder to live life to the fullest everyday as tomorrow is never guaranteed ❤️
---
View attachment 36360

I applaud your attitude after such a horrible crime. Sending good wishes as you journey on.

Thank you so, so much for writing to all of us to tell us about your horrible experience. I have worried about you, and wondered how you were doing. I am, first of all, very glad that you have survived this attack.

I am also glad to be reminded that this experience or situation could indeed happen anywhere--and that even on our beautiful Caminos in Spain, France, Portugal--and throughout Europe and the world--we have to understand that each day is a gift.

Thanks again. Blessings upon you.

I am at a loss for words.
We really enjoyed this bustling walk along the river and so sorry this happened to you there, or anywhere. Glad you have found help and that your spirit has not been damped by this experience. Hope the rest of your trip goes well.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@The World My Village, I am sorry this happened to you, on the camino or anywhere else for that matter. Thank you for telling us about the incident and also about all the wonderful help and support you have received since. So good that you are now safe and recovering. Take care and be as gentle with yourself as you are with the person who attacked you. May your continuing camino be happy and blessed.

---
View attachment 36360
Great pelegrino spirit, so sorry but your pilgramge will be great from here on in.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

---
View attachment 36360
Querida Peregrina
Your journey to Santiago may have been interrupted, but your Camino continues. You have handled your adversities with love and grace. Thank you for sharing your courageous story.
Ultreia!
elle

Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry to hear of your awful experience. Your spirit is very strong. I'm sending you prayers and positive thoughts to you in your journey and for you to be able to complete your pilgrimmage to Santiago in safety and good health with no incidents. Peace and blessings to you.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A selection of Camino Jewellery

Peace out from Lisbon and this is a reminder to live life to the fullest everyday as tomorrow is

Thank you for posting with such clarity and courage. It sounds like a truly horrible experience and I hope you can continue to find the support you need as you weave a way through this.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Don´t let this daunt you! You are a true pilgrim, what happened to you is inusual, a true case of bad luck.
But look at it the rigth way: A very very small percentage of pilgrims suffered violence on the Camino. ( Maybe 1/500.000? ) No one suffered it twice. Statistically you are the safest woman on the Caminos. If I were afraid of the lonelines, I will ask you to walk in your company, for MY safety.
Keep living, KEEP DOING IT!
Noli illegitimi carborundum! Impetu et honorem!
Buen Camino to you all, honest people.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
God bless you peregrina.

Challenged, beat up, hurt, yet strong, resilient, and full of grace .

You inspire and humble me with your gentle and pure response to this episode .

You ARE the camino personified.

My comfort and support to you.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Taking a moment to thank all of you for your kind words. You are giving me more credit than I deserve. I thankful for having come across this community many months ago in preparation for my Camino, your support is priceless. Again thanks to @peregrina2000 for being just awesome!

In addition I have a message for all of you and others around the world that I just posted on my Facebook page. Don't be scared, on the video I look much better than four days ago. Thankfully looks like I am healing quickly
(On the IG account is only a part of it.)

PLEASE feel free to share this video and posts on my Facebook page with your friends. Knowledge is power.

Here is the link

❤️

Last edited:

---
View attachment 36360
You amazing lady. Kind wishes from England are sent to you.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you for your openness and thoughtful words. Your way of viewing the world is healthy and refreshing and I appreciate it. I hope it makes us all try to be a bit better today. I wish you all the best.

God bless you wherever in the world life takes you ! What happened to you was no small stuff, yet you have handled the situation admirably. The heart and compassion you show to forgive the person that assaulted you, has humbled me. I hope you have a prompt recovery, and keep enjoying life. We for sure, need people like you in this world.
Again, GOD BLESS YOU !

I'm sorry you had such a terrible experience on the Camino, but I am full of admiration for your determination to rise above it. Long may you continue on your way!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have to say that you have a good handle on the ability to overcome adversity. Good for you! From years of being a robbery detective in the States, it was my belief that when you have the choice between fighting back or giving in and letting yourself be beat up, those who fought back came out the best psychologically, as you did. If you give in, the robber may just decide to escalate his activities.

Not saying that if you can get out of the situation without fighting you should go for it, but sometimes you are not given that choice. So, again, you did the right thing and can be proud that when no choice was offered you, and you were immediately assaulted, you took charge of what you could do and defended yourself.

For the general populace out there, your response to this kind of crime depends on a multiple of factors; your age and condition, how many attackers, etc. Lots of bad guys, drop your pack and run, if possible. One attacker, same if you feel that is what he's interested in, if not take the rubber tip off your pole and prepare to defend yourself. The OP did not have the opportunity to do either of these option but was jumped on w/o warning. Years from now she will still have the satisfaction that comes knowing you dealt with adversity head on and came out the other side with bruises but your respect in yourself intact.

Semper fi, kid

Wow, huge respect for your positive and courageous attitude. You are a shining example to us all. With every best wish for your continued recovery and onward journey.

Thank you for your graciousness and for showing your strength, first in defending yourself but also in not letting this experience diminish your openness to the world. Best wishes for what comes next.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

---
View attachment 36360
I must add my admiration as well. You were brave, strong in spirit and resolve, courageous, and you survived still maintaining a positive, grounded outlook. May peace go with you wherever you go, and buen camino every day.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have to say that you have a good handle on the ability to overcome adversity. Good for you! From years of being a robbery detective in the States, it was my belief that when you have the choice between fighting back or giving in and letting yourself be beat up, those who fought back came out the best psychologically, as you did. If you give in, the robber may just decide to escalate his activities.

Not saying that if you can get out of the situation without fighting you should go for it, but sometimes you are not given that choice. So, again, you did the right thing and can be proud that when no choice was offered you, and you were immediately assaulted, you took charge of what you could do and defended yourself.

For the general populace out there, your response to this kind of crime depends on a multiple of factors; your age and condition, how many attackers, etc. Lots of bad guys, drop your pack and run, if possible. One attacker, same if you feel that is what he's interested in, if not take the rubber tip off your pole and prepare to defend yourself. The OP did not have the opportunity to do either of these option but was jumped on w/o warning. Years from now she will still have the satisfaction that comes knowing you dealt with adversity head on and came out the other side with bruises but your respect in yourself intact.

Semper fi, kid
Hi there, I so much appreciate you taking the time to write this. As you said, depends on the situation. Here I had no choice as I was not sure what he wanted beside getting my phone. While on top of me, with my backpack still on me weighing me down I guess I just went for it after seeing the knife and did what I could as I knew the odds of someone showing up to assist were very minimal.
I am just thankful to be here, well, able to tell the story for others to take precautions.

All feel free to share my Facebook video with friends, etc. Knowledge is power

So sorry to read about your traumatic experience. Know that your incredible attitude and forgiving heart has touched me today. I agree wholeheartedly with all the kind responses you have received and hope they have lifted your spirits and empowered you to continue your journey when the time is right.

Taking a moment to thank all of you for your kind words. You are giving me more credit than I deserve. I thankful for having come across this community many months ago in preparation for my Camino, your support is priceless. Again thanks to @peregrina2000 for being just awesome!

In addition I have a message for all of you and others around the world that I just posted on my Facebook page. Don't be scared, on the video I look much better than four days ago. Thankfully looks like I am healing quickly

PLEASE feel free to share this video and posts on my Facebook page with your friends. Knowledge is power.

Here is the link

❤️
Well done! You remind me of wild critters that know the only way to survive is to get back up & keep moving. Not to say your a wild critter:p

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Thank you for sharing all this. Can you tell me exactly where this was? We will be walking the same route in 3 weeks. I will be with my husband but the police statement that gangs could attack alarms me.

Thank you for sharing all this. Can you tell me exactly where this was? We will be walking the same route in 3 weeks. I will be with my husband but the police statement that gangs could attack alarms me.
Once you leave Parque das Nacoes you will walk a while, go into kind of a tunnel, etc until you have to cross to go into a dirt path by the river Tejo. At this time the river will be on your left all this route. At the entrance to this road You will see both arrows pointing the way, Yellow for Santiago and Blue for Fatima. Both go the same way during this portion. You will also see a silver plack stating how many kilometers to Fatima. The incident happened on that road but probably an hour into it, I think I was probably 4,miles or so before Sacavem..... I was almost there.
Let me know if you have any other questions

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
May God bless you, and keep you. You are truly on The Way. Bom Caminho.

reminds me the scene of the way when jack saying it was brilliant idea to drop the urns of Tom's son despite of the tragic facts... such a big heart i adore! praying for your fast recovery & safety!

---
View attachment 36360
Thanks for sharing and sorry you had to experience this on your journey. Peace to you.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

---
View attachment 36360

---
View attachment 36360
I am so sorry that this happened to you. Your willingness to forgive and also recognize the good in those that helped you through this experience is nothing short of incredible. Please know that there are so many sending love and prayers your way. I wish you strength and peace in the days to come.

You are a very strong person, with an incredible spirit, thanks for sharing like you said it could have been a lot worst, I will pray for you,

God bless
zzotte

---
View attachment 36360
I am arriving in Lisbon this week and would love your thoughts on what to do. I plan to go to the Cathedral to get my passport and ask for their advice, too. At a minimum, I plan to take transportation to Sacavem to avoid the area the police felt was dangerous. I am also reconsidering my desire to do the full walk. Does it make sense to take a train to Porto and start there? It sounds like the path may be marked better from there and I would expect to see more people along the way. What are you hearing from those you have met in Portugal? Your thoughts?

BTW -- I am so glad you are more or less OK and that you received such good care from the Portuguese people.

Thanks so much.

€83,-
I am arriving in Lisbon this week and would love your thoughts on what to do. I plan to go to the Cathedral to get my passport and ask for their advice, too. At a minimum, I plan to take transportation to Sacavem to avoid the area the police felt was dangerous. I am also reconsidering my desire to do the full walk. Does it make sense to take a train to Porto and start there? It sounds like the path may be marked better from there and I would expect to see more people along the way. What are you hearing from those you have met in Portugal? Your thoughts?

BTW -- I am so glad you are more or less OK and that you received such good care from the Portuguese people.

Thanks so much.
I would suggest you try to find another pilgrim to walk with. Unfortunately, I am still kind of dizzy to take this on from here. Hope to be able to start in Porto in 10 days or so.
If you don't find someone to do that route by the Tejo a River with you, today I would say to start the journey more up north.

Thank you for writing your story and for your video explanation. Having walked Lisbon to Santiago in 2016 I remember that section of the camino well. It is indeed rather isolated, after the bustle of Lisbon city. How terrible that you were not able to walk there in tranquility and peace. You are a fine example for others of the resilience and compassion a true pilgrimage requires. I wish you every wonderful experience on the rest of your journey of discovery. Peace on your Way.

---
View attachment 36360
So glad you are recovering with a strong spirit. My husband and I did this route in July. We did the Frances last year. I never felt safe this time. Three different women at different stops repirted men exposing themselves; another woman was harrassed by two teens one morning. I always made sure that my husband or other pilgrims were in sight. We live in a crazy world and I pray tgat tge caminos will continue to be places of peace and love.

God bless you and many thanks for your excellent recommendations. I am currently walking the Camino Frances and hope to do the Portuguese Camino next year. Praying the 'powers that be' enact your suggestions. Meanwhile, I've been praying for you at every Church on the Way. Blessings

I would suggest you try to find another pilgrim to walk with. Unfortunately, I am still kind of dizzy to take this on from here. Hope to be able to start in Porto in 10 days or so.
If you don't find someone to do that route by the Tejo a River with you, today I would say to start the journey more up north.

What is next for you? If you are considering trying to walk a part of the Caminho Portugues and would like a walking partner, let me know. I am arriving from the US on Wednesday -- recently took early retirement. I will follow your advice and find another pilgrim to walk with (or start somewhere north of where you ran into trouble). I am flexible about timing, starting location, etc. I get in on Wednesday. Thanks so much for your advice!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Once you leave Parque das Nacoes you will walk a while, go into kind of a tunnel, etc until you have to cross to go into a dirt path by the river Tejo. At this time the river will be on your left all this route. At the entrance to this road You will see both arrows pointing the way, Yellow for Santiago and Blue for Fatima. Both go the same way during this portion. You will also see a silver plack stating how many kilometers to Fatima. The incident happened on that road but probably an hour into it, I think I was probably 4,miles or so before Sacavem..... I was almost there.
Let me know if you have any other questions
I think we will need to take a taxi around that area. I don't feel safe now.

---
View attachment 36360

---
View attachment 36360
So very sorry for your terrible experience! You have courage to share this story with all of us and, hopefully, this will help keep others safe. Your positive attitude is such a wonderful example for all of us.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am so sorry to hear of your assault on the Camino. I just finished my solo Camino Frances from Sarria to Santiago from 9-15 Sept 2017. Your spirit and your faith is very strong. As you said, it could have happened to any of us. There were stretches on the CF where I was alone for several hours on Day 2 and 3 but usually there were a couple of peregrinos a 100 m ahead or behind me. I will pray for you to stay strong and get the continuing support that you will need.

What is next for you? If you are considering trying to walk a part of the Caminho Portugues and would like a walking partner, let me know. I am arriving from the US on Wednesday -- recently took early retirement. I will follow your advice and find another pilgrim to walk with (or start somewhere north of where you ran into trouble). I am flexible about timing, starting location, etc. I get in on Wednesday. Thanks so much for your advice!
Planning to go to Fatima to pray to the Virgen and thank her that I am alive Then probably continue to Porto, not walking yet just because I am still dizzy, little soar and needs rest. My hopes is than in another week I will feel better and have the physical strength to do the Camino from there. If not, will need to leave it for next year. I will be shown the best decision in the days to come
But keep in touch.

€60,-

---
View attachment 36360
Planning to go to Fatima to pray to the Virgen and thank her that I am alive Then probably continue to Porto, not walking yet just because I am still dizzy, little soar and needs rest. My hopes is than in another week I will feel better and have the physical strength to do the Camino from there. If not, will need to leave it for next year. I will be shown the best decision in the days to come
But keep in touch.

You have been in my thoughts for the last few days... I'm still not sure what shocks me more: the level of violence you encountered or your positive attitude on something so awful; I wish I could be a little more like you! ;)

I read all of the posts in this thread. You must be a most inspiring person and wish you a speedy recovery.
I like to find out if I could join you after your recovery.
I'll be landing in Lisbon very early on the 28th. I haven't had the chance yet to book a hotel in Lisbon, or any other hotel. I was thinking of spending a few days in Lisbon before hopping by bus or train towards Porto via Fatima and Coimbra. I like to begin my Camino da Costa in Porto with the idea of making a few off-the-route side-trips like going to e.g. Braga for a day or two As you can see my schedule is completely open and I'd like to hear from you whenever your schedule has been re-established after your recovery and whether you'd like a walking companion. I am almost 80 yo and not a strong hiker at all. But I have gained a lot of experience walking and living off a backpack for 47 days on a 1200 KM Buddhist pilgrimage in Shikoku, Japan in 2015.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

---
View attachment 36360

Yeah, let's all walk together and be safer.

---
View attachment 36360

€60,-
Great pelegrino spirit, so sorry but your pilgramge will be great from here on in.
Hi, I am currently walking the Camino and will reach LA Cruz de Ferro tomorrow (24/7/2017). I will say a prayer for your protection, courage, safety, bravery and your beautiful nature. God bless you.

Hi, I am currently walking the Camino and will reach LA Cruz de Ferro tomorrow (24/09/2017). I will say a prayer for your protection, courage, safety, bravery and your beautiful nature. God bless you.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I admire your courage and resolve. If you need any financial help, please let us know. I dont have a lot, but happy to send something till you get on your feet. Much love.

---
View attachment 36360

I read all of the posts in this thread. You must be a most inspiring person and wish you a speedy recovery.
I like to find out if I could join you after your recovery.
I'll be landing in Lisbon very early on the 28th. I haven't had the chance yet to book a hotel in Lisbon, or any other hotel. I was thinking of spending a few days in Lisbon before hopping by bus or train towards Porto via Fatima and Coimbra. I like to begin my Camino da Costa in Porto with the idea of making a few off-the-route side-trips like going to e.g. Braga for a day or two As you can see my schedule is completely open and I'd like to hear from you whenever your schedule has been re-established after your recovery and whether you'd like a walking companion. I am almost 80 yo and not a strong hiker at all. But I have gained a lot of experience walking and living off a backpack for 47 days on a 1200 KM Buddhist pilgrimage in Shikoku, Japan in 2015.
We can keep in touch as I am now taking one day at a time. I will keep you all posted of my whereabouts.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You have been in my thoughts for the last few days... I'm still not sure what shocks me more: the level of violence you encountered or your positive attitude on something so awful; I wish I could be a little more like you! ;)
Thanks for your kind words but I think we all have good hearts, is that when we recognize that anger and bitterness does no good, we need then can let it go in order to be happy and in peace. I have slept like a baby every night. No nightmares or panic attacks, I am in peace and in control of my thoughts and feelings ❤️

Thank you for posting. You are handling this awful experience with grace.
I do so agree with the above post....you are definitely handling this situation with grace, and, if I may, Common Sense and calm. I am not sure how I would be reacting were I in your shoes, and I admire your strength to stay, though not on the same 'pathway' for the moment in Portugal....you are not going to let this very nasty incident Define you....sending you some gentle hugs. Looking forward to reading more of how your journey progresses from this point onwards. Before closing though, I would like to write How disappointed I am on your behalf that your own US Embassy has treated you so badly. :)

Thank you for sharing. Such an inspiration to keep on going. May the Camino Angels be by your side and keep guiding you on your journey. Ultreya.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
You didn't say earlier that he had a knife!! That took a really positive attitude to fight back, and the way you are talking about it now also shows how that attitude has followed thru. Like the others here I want to express my best wishes for your continued improvement, both physically and mentally. You went through Hell but came out the other side a stronger person, knowing that you have the will to persevere. Most people never have to find out what they are capable of. You have, and can carry that knowledge forward through life. I prophesy you will take to the Camino again and will complete it without incident. You have made many friends here and there will be plenty of us to walk with you that next time. Vaya con Dios, peregrina!

What an amazingly brave lady you are - what a lesson you have left for all who have read your story - my thoughts and prayers are with you as you continue to heal physically and emotionally- thank you for reminding me tonight as I followed this thread, of true forgiveness and courage - I would feel so privileged to walk even a few hours beside you - God bless you abundantly and may He always hold you in the palm of His hand ❤️

I'm so sorry you had to go through this experience. Can't even imagine...

Your strength is very inspiring.
Thank you for sharing.

€149,-

---
View attachment 36360

---
View attachment 36360

I get so angry when I hear of one of these cowards attacking people. I offer a suggestion on something I do. I attach a couple of very heavy duty safety pins to my pack belt where I can get to them quickly. You'd be surprised at how someone backs off when they get a safety pin to the eye (or even more sensitive areas). Even if you never have to use it, it will provide a safe feeling against predators like this loser.

What an amazing story of courage, fortitude and grace. I add my prayers and best wishes to all those above. May your physical healing go quickly and your spirit stay strong. Blessings.

:):)

Here is the link

❤️
I really do hope when you start back into your walk you do have someone with you or close by.
I have a few years with dealing with violence personally & with my guys under me. I am not sure if you have had any council but when you start back be aware your senses will be higher & your reactions to things can be more emotional. You may find yourself saying or doing things that on reflection you will question. The best thing is talk about it with someone that may have had trauma in their past. The quicker you physically heal & start back walking the better.
So to recap: Talk your butt off, find a freind, & don't think your loosing it.

:):)
I really do hope when you start back into your walk you do have someone with you or close by.
I have a few years with dealing with violence personally & with my guys under me. I am not sure if you have had any council but when you start back be aware your senses will be higher & your reactions to things can be more emotional. You may find yourself saying or doing things that on reflection you will question. The best thing is talk about it with someone that may have had trauma in their past. The quicker you physically heal & start back walking the better.
So to recap: Talk your butt off, find a freind, & don't think your loosing it.
Thanks for the advise. No council but been talking a lot about it and thank god feel very calm, sleeping like a baby, no nightmares, etc. I will keep your suggestions in mind.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Your attitude and spirt is amazing, I wish you all the best on this Camino and in the future.

If you ever get to Santiago and would like to have a coffee then please get in touch, I would love to help share the Camino spirit with you. :)

Take care and Buen Camino.

Your attitude and spirt is amazing, I wish you all the best on this Camino and in the future.

If you ever get to Santiago and would like to have a coffee then please get in touch, I would love to help share the Camino spirit with you. :)

Take care and Buen Camino.
HI there, actually last night got a call from a friend from Galicia and we were discussing my plans. Too early to tell, need to continue listening to my body. But if I go to Santiago will contact you for sure

HI there, actually last night got a call from a friend from Galicia and we were discussing my plans. Too early to tell, need to continue listening to my body. But if I go to Santiago will contact you for sure
Maybe walk Ingles??? It's a lovely Camino which you can cut down to even 8 days staying at albergues...
With round trip/walk to Fisterra/Muxia and back to SdC after that?

€149,-

---
View attachment 36360

I am sorry this happened to you. Never keep your total € in one place. Your passport can be laminated and copied and kept with you, in an alternate pocket.

I covered mine in a religious card.

Maybe walk Ingles??? It's a lovely Camino which you can cut down to even 8 days staying at albergues...
With round trip/walk to Fisterra/Muxia and back to SdC after that?[/QUOTE
Probably next year will be my time for a Camino. Good suggestion. Thanks

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am sorry this happened to you. Never keep your total € in one place. Your passport can be laminated and copied and kept with you, in an alternate pocket.

I covered mine in a religious card.
Thanks Marianne, I am doing very well.
Great rules of thumb. Thankfully I had a copy of my passport. Although realistically if they want to rob you they know what to do, where to look, more so if there is no one around and feel they have time to do their thing.

"Although realistically if they want to rob you they know what to do, where to look, more so if there is no one around and feel they have time to do their thing"

So true!

I just watched your facebook video and I have to tell you I found you inspiring. It takes much generosity and courage to forgive someone who hurt you like that. You are a great ambassador for pilgrims, for the camino, in fact for the world.
I wish I had your strength and your heart. We can all learn by your example. My thoughts are with you. I wish you a speedy recovery and of course, buen camino! whenever and wherever your steps will take you next.
Many hugs from NYC

I can only reiterate what everyone else has said. Thank you for posting. I am so sorry this has happened to you. You have an incredible spirit. Sending you lots of love & wishing you all the best for the future.

€149,-
So sorry to hear this happened to you. God Bless and carry on!

Regards,
Daniela

---
View attachment 36360

"Although realistically if they want to rob you they know what to do, where to look, more so if there is no one around and feel they have time to do their thing"

So true!

I just watched your facebook video and I have to tell you I found you inspiring. It takes much generosity and courage to forgive someone who hurt you like that. You are a great ambassador for pilgrims, for the camino, in fact for the world.
I wish I had your strength and your heart. We can all learn by your example. My thoughts are with you. I wish you a speedy recovery and of course, buen camino! whenever and wherever your steps will take you next.
Many hugs from NYC
You are very kind, every time I read comments like yours it continues to surprise me how in times of need people come together in solidarity. Hope for a better world is not dead Know that I feel great! Recovered quickly and I believe my visit to Fatima indeed did something special. My face is 100% better, something I can not explain. I will keep you all posted.

Thanks again for thinking of mr

I join others in thanking you for sharing your most unpleasant experience. I'm so glad that, though bruised and robbed, your spirit is still high. As a fellow lone pilgrim/traveler (biking, motorcycling and walking) I admire your loving, forgiving and positive nature. I'm a man in my 70s but I look up to you as my role model. Peace and Buen camino!

I join others in thanking you for sharing your most unpleasant experience. I'm so glad that, though bruised and robbed, your spirit is still high. As a fellow lone pilgrim/traveler (biking, motorcycling and walking) I admire your loving, forgiving and positive nature. I'm a man in my 70s but I look up to you as my role model. Peace and Buen camino!
Role model? Oh no, I am just a "gal" who truly believes we can be better. Idealistic for some but not for me or us. Peregrino is not just a word, is a way of living by trying to be the best we can be everyday. Not easy, but we should try
Thanks for your kind word

I am so happy to see all of the great support here. I will follow this- because I am so interested in doing this on my own and I always have questions.

You are a forgiving person.

I believe an eye for a eye.

Had it been me,,, I would hunt the pig down till the day I die.

And when found him, some of his anatomy would be missing.

He would not do such to others again. He would walk with a limp.

I am tired of reading about walkers being assaulted, mugged and more.

If the word got back to these low types doing this that they won't get away with it...it would stop.

Bless you. Glad you are ok.
Admire you forgiving.

I am blunt and honest.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Marty, I completely get where you are coming from. Being candid is a good thing
For me revenge does not lead to anything good. On my side took action by contacting the portugués TV station and also Via Lusitanawhi, who then contacted the Ministry of Tourism, all these to create pressure to have some police presence along that very lonely stretch.
I had continued my travels since then. Got my Compostela starting in Valenca, so life is good.
Thanks for taking the time to write to me.

All the best!

If you want to check what I have been up to FB @theworldmyvillage, same on Instagram

Most read last week in this forum

I was walking on this part of the trail at around 8 am this morning. I noticed some strange materials along the path (some condoms, a pornographic picture, a pair of male underwear). The path is...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back