• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

IKEA Ponchos

Time of past OR future Camino
Recent:Norte/Muxia- Spring '23
MadridWay- Fall '23
I have read a few times on the forum about the Ikea ponchos and how great they are, so when I found a brand new one at my local resale shop I was pretty excited. The pattern was an attractive simple white/black, too, which I liked, and the seams inside all reinforced with a strip of glued plastic of sorts.
I wore it in the shower today and unfortunately it failed as I had some water droplets on my skin. I realize I was literally in a bathtub thunderstorm, but am afraid to bring it on the Norte this spring. If it did that in 5 minutes, what would it be like after 5 hours in a downpour. At only $2 it is not a loss and it should be fine on my local trail, but I will continue to use my trusty Frogg Togg rain jacket and pants. They have never let me down when I've needed them.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have read a few times on the forum about the Ikea ponchos and how great they are, so when I found a brand new one at my local resale shop I was pretty excited. The pattern was an attractive simple white/black, too, which I liked, and the seams inside all reinforced with a strip of glued plastic of sorts.
I wore it in the shower today and unfortunately it failed as I had some water droplets on my skin. I realize I was literally in a bathtub thunderstorm, but am afraid to bring it on the Norte this spring. If it did that in 5 minutes, what would it be like after 5 hours in a downpour. At only $2 it is not a loss and it should be fine on my local trail, but I will continue to use my trusty Frogg Togg rain jacket and pants. They have never let me down when I've needed them.

Books have been written and wars have been fought over similar differences of opinion, but I'm with you all the way.

A $2 waterproof is likely worth every cent you paid for it.

Try out the Frogg Toggs poncho. It is inexpensive but very functional and provides great protection. It is also made from breathable material, so that adds to the already terrific reduction to condensation.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Try out the Frogg Toggs poncho. It is inexpensive but very functional and provides great protection. It is also made from breathable material, so that adds to the already terrific reduction to condensation.
My son uses that poncho and has been very happy with it on 4 caminos. Not sure about myself as I like the rain jacket/pants combo. Usually I don't need the pants, but so lightweight I bring them anyway. Have used them in cold, pelting rain out of Castrojerez and was glad for the warmth.

A sturdy looking poncho is on sale this week in Lidl shops in U.K.

A sturdy looking poncho is on sale this week in Lidl shops in U.K.
Again, I would refrain from that. Similar items were offered by Lidl Germany in the past. The "fishermens"-poncho is really waterproof, but heavy (nearly 1 kg) and of dark green/black colour with poor visibility. The "cyclist"-poncho weighs about 400 gr. and is rather short, i. e. you need additional trousers in autumn/winter and it only offers protection for a limited period of time (max. 2 h). I have one and I used it this autumn on my camino from Cologne to Trier. I have a genuine trekking-poncho, too (Tatonka). It is slightly heavier (450 gr.) but protects you the whole day if necessary. It costs nearly 4x as much as the Lidl-Poncho (40 € vs. 10 €) but it is definitely worth the money.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I mentioned the Lidl poncho only because I happened to see ponchos on sale when I was out shopping. It wasn't a recommendation for a MUST BUY.

I have a very good poncho which keeps me dry and does the job beautifully. I bought it at a brocante in France and I think it might be made by Decathlon.

This is my third poncho by the way.
First was 2nd hand , plastic and a piece actually ripped off when I was walking over the Pyrenees in atrocious wind and rain.
My second poncho was a flimsy nylon affair (2nd hand) and wasn't very effective in heavy rain on the walk to Finistere.
My 3rd poncho (2nd hand Decathlon) as I mentioned above, works well even if it's a little heavy.
Edit: It's roomy, has sleeves and room for the rucksack hump.

I think it's a case of what works for one, doesn't necessarily work for everyone. You pay your money and you make your choice.

Last edited:
I love my über lightweight, Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil lightweight poncho with the extra hump for a rucksack. The SOLE problem was side snaps that did not hold in Galician winds.

Easily remedied with a small tube of Super Glue and some wooden clothespins. Apply the glue, snap closed, affix pins, let cure overnight. No more unsnapped seams... This would only be an issue if I ever needed to use the pincho as a tarp... not gonna happen...;)

This discussion reminds me of the old Italian adage my nona taught me decades ago... “...buy cheap...pay twice...”

At age 96, and illiterate in any language, she was a very wise peasant lady from the rural center part of Sicily... This advice has always served me well.

Hope this helps...

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'll take a look at the Sea to Summit poncho. I've seen it mentioned on the forum before. I will say I do love my Frogg Toggs and am ready to replace it with the same, but who knows.
Whenever I buy something truly cheap I say I'm buying it on the installment plan.😅

I went from Vézelay to SDC (via Norte and Primitivo) with a lightweight (disposable) cheap poncho from Kathmandhu. Price was $NZ10. Very light, very packable. It’s weakness was the way it was punctured by brambles and blackberry. I patched these rips and little holes with bits of duct tape which I carry, wrapped around my hiking poles.
I was very happy with it.
It had to be treated with care and the drawstring around the neck was fiddly in a wind. But no domes or Velcro and a good fit over a 32L pack. I didn’t sweat in it but the weather was cool and I don’t get physically stressed.
If it was bucketing down I wore my rain-jacket underneath with the armpit zips undone. I was always dry underneath.
John

I thought most pilgrims liked and recommended the Altus poncho, made in Spain. I have used one of those for 6 caminos now, but it was on loan and now I have to buy my own. I think it is great, no need for me to experiment with a different one.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I had an Ikea poncho on my recent walk on the Invierno. In spite of my paying to get the seams property sealed before I left home, it leaked persistently in the relentless rain and I finally threw it out and bought a Regatta rain jacket in Monteforte de Lemos. It was better, but didn't keep me totally dry above the waist, as my North Face rain pants did for below the waist. I no longer have faith in any raingear to keep me dry in a persistent deluge. Good luck.

Speaking of IKEA... I am currently doing the Invierno. Bubble wrapped my poles, then put them inside an IKEA blue bag, taped it all up and sent it as luggage. Worked like a charm. Dogs not included.

Attachments

• 57D4865A-E6A3-49B4-866D-19831FE70C36.jpeg
    57D4865A-E6A3-49B4-866D-19831FE70C36.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 50
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Speaking of IKEA... I am currently doing the Invierno. Bubble wrapped my poles, then put them inside an IKEA blue bag, taped it all up and sent it as luggage. Worked like a charm. Dogs not included.
I keep hearing great things about the IKEA blue bags...I think it's time I consider ordering one!

My daughter wears a red and white one that I strengthened the waterproofing along the seams. It stays dry and doesn’t blow about in the wind and is very light to pack. But the best thing is constantly reminding her she looks like a tablecloth, kitchen curtains, a Arabic headdress,,,,,,,,, worth it for the payouts 😄😝

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I had an Ikea poncho on my recent walk on the Invierno. In spite of my paying to get the seams property sealed before I left home, it leaked persistently in the relentless rain and I finally threw it out and bought a Regatta rain jacket in Monteforte de Lemos. It was better, but didn't keep me totally dry above the waist, as my North Face rain pants did for below the waist. I no longer have faith in any raingear to keep me dry in a persistent deluge. Good luck.
I personally swear by Frogg Toggs ultra light rain suits and ponchos. In torrential downpours they do not leak, weigh very little and keep sweat from forming. They are amazing, imo. The only downfall is they are not very attractive and the material is slightly fragile. I replace mine every 3rd camino "just because".

My daughter wears a red and white one that I strengthened the waterproofing along the seams. It stays dry and doesn’t blow about in the wind and is very light to pack. But the best thing is constantly reminding her she looks like a tablecloth, kitchen curtains, a Arabic headdress,,,,,,,,, worth it for the payouts 😄😝
The seams on mine appear to be very well glued. In the shower the beads of water on my skin were on my back and arms...not from areas where the seams are located.

The seams on mine appear to be very well glued. In the shower the beads of water on my skin were on my back and arms...not from areas where the seams are located.
I know this thread is old, but it occurs to me that possibly the previous owner had laundered it wrong and washed the waterproofing off of the fabric. I did that to my first poncho. Now I have another (Bluefield?) and I never put it into the washer. I just hose it off and let it hang dry.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I know this thread is old, but it occurs to me that possibly the previous owner had laundered it wrong and washed the waterproofing off of the fabric. I did that to my first poncho. Now I have another (Bluefield?) and I never put it into the washer. I just hose it off and let it hang dry.
The Ikea poncho was brand new, never out of the pouch it was in from the original store so never washed. I know because it was folded perfect, yet when I tried to fit it back in the pouch nicely, it was a messy disaster no matter how hard I tried to do a good job. 😛

The first time I unfolded the ikea poncho it was confusing how to get it back in. Then I though "wonder if it's on Youtube?" and yes, there a multiple tutorials on how to refold it properly. How did we ever survive before Youtube? 🤔

The first time I unfolded the ikea poncho it was confusing how to get it back in. Then I though "wonder if it's on Youtube?" and yes, there a multiple tutorials on how to refold it properly. How did we ever survive before Youtube? 🤔
I wouldn't be patient enough for that, especially while on the camino. I couldn't even get it stuffed back in so I just re-donated it!...used, but never used! 😅

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My IKEA poncho failed miserably on the first wearing. Luckily I had a raincoat to put on and a dollar plastic poncho that went over to protect my pack. I later realized that my pack could “wear” the poncho itself (I slipped the poncho over the pack while it was on a table/surface, pulled each shoulder strap thru the armholes, and voila!), so then I wasn’t getting the full sauna effect of wearing a poncho. I put the pack on, lifting up the bottom of the plastic to put the hip belt on, and tucked the poncho hood down between my pack and raincoat to prevent rain going down the neck hole. This impromptu pack cover lasted as long as I needed it, a good 7-8 wearing.

My next Camino I brought a Frogg Toggs poncho that I modified by sewing in a waterproof zipper up the front and sewing up the sides to narrow it.

I bought the FroggToogs ultralight and I am short enough that it actually covers most of me with my backpack on. I'm going to try attaching those stickable velcro dots I found at Joann Craft store along the sides to cinch it up a bit.

I bought the FroggToogs ultralight and I am short enough that it actually covers most of me with my backpack on. I'm going to try attaching those stickable velcro dots I found at Joann Craft store along the sides to cinch it up a bit.
Great idea!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
This minor modification will also help, and is quick to implement when needed.

---------------------------------

This is one very easy method IF you want a tie off attached to the poncho.

Materials:

Two lengths of cord ( I prefer a 1.2 mm Dyneema tent cord) REI, Amazon, Zpacks, etc

1578777850164.png

Tape or self adhesive fabric to reinforce a small hole. (Tenacious Tape is great for this application)

1578777550705.png

With the poncho on, find your waist.

At the back edge of the poncho, on both your right and left sides, place a mark. If needed, have a helper make the mark. I just reach back an grab the edge myself.

With the poncho removed, at each mark, take a piece of of Tenacious Tape (duct tape, etc), about 2" in length or a bit longer, and wrap the tape so that it sandwiches over the top and bottom sides of the edge and then extends at least 3/4" from the edge of the poncho.

Next, make a tiny incision in the material through the tape. Keep the incision at least 1/2 from the edge of the poncho.

The amount of cord for each side of the poncho will depend on how much girth one has. You need two lengths of cord. . one for each side of the poncho. Thread a length of cord through the incisions you made and tie it off using a square knot.

You will now have two thin, dangling lengths of cord hanging from the waist height of your poncho.

When needed due to wind, grab each length of cord, bringing them to the front of your poncho. Tie the ends together like a shoelace.

You can apply as little or as much tension as you wish, but do not over-tighten, as this will stress the poncho fabric unnecessarily. Now you can button up as much or as little of the sides of the poncho as you wish, adjusting for desired airflow.

When not needed, gather up the dangly cord into a bundle (do this for each side) like an extension cord. You will not notice it as you walk, but it is easily released if needed.

It takes all of 5 minutes to add the modification, and seconds to deploy when the weather calls for it.

If you would rather carry a separate cord or rope or bungee to use as a belt around the poncho, those work too. Of course you need to make sure it is easily reached if you decide you need it.

Used an Ikea Poncho for my Camino last September 2019. I found it very bulky and uncomfortable. Thank god it only rained 1 day and the rain was not heavy.

The greatest advantage of the Ikea poncho is that it will make you laugh at yourself so much that you won't care how much it's raining. (More seriously, we wore lightweight rain jackets that were great windbreakers too, and only added ponchos for heavy downpours to keep pack straps dry. It was a great system, and we'll do the same on the CP this year)

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Nothing beats the Frogg Toggs ponchos and rain jackets and pants for good, budget, light weight (very light weight) rain gear.
They're light duty for sure, but light duty is all that is needed to walk the Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.