• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I'm a commitment phobe...

trecile

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
When it comes to shoes that is. I have ordered and returned at least a dozen pair. I can't go into a local shoe store to get fitted because none of the local stores carry my size. I have a long narrow foot, and normally wear a US size 10 or 11 women's shoe. But to get the extra room I need I need a 12 or 12.5, which some manufacturers make, but the stores don't carry. I find most of the men's shoes too wide. I'm looking for the ideal lightweight, supportive shoe that will work on all kinds of terrain, and last 500+ miles - not too much to ask for, right?

I still have 4 months before I start the Camino, so I have time to find the right shoes. I don't want to test out several pair of $100 shoes, but I think that's what I'm going to have to do. Just pick a pair and try them out for a few long walks. I just walked about 10 miles today in my beloved Skechers GoRun shoes, and did fine, but I don't think that the sole would last 500 miles.

I received my latest shoes in the mail today, and I really like them. They are New Balance Vazee Summit Trail. They are nice and lightweight, and have plenty of toe room. I tried them on after the walk, when my feet are at their biggest.

I also emailed New Balance and asked if they recommended this shoe for the kind of walking that I will be doing. This was their response:
"Thank you for contacting us. I think the Vazee Summit would be a great choice for you!

The Vazee Summit was engineered for the highest performance, including long distance walking. It's constructed with a soft and meshy tongue that is connected to the sole which means there are no little gaps for dirt and debris to sneak in. It has the three essentials needed for exploring any terrain comfortably: lightweight cushioning, flexibility and protection."

So, I'm crossing my fingers that this commitment phobe has found her match!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I don't I don't think I could even guess how many pairs of shoes I've had in 45 years of walking. However I am aware of how my my feet have changed in the last 10 years. I've gone from Asolo boots to Merrill boots and I'm very content with my Keens. I've got a narrow foot but I need a wider toe box. they have served me very well the past 5 years but I still do have my Asolo's for heavier terrain., don't obsess about the size buy one that fits you comfortably and when your feet start to swell a little stop and take your shoes off and buy a good hiking sock.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Don't buy larger than normal shoes just because you read something here. Get footwear that fits. It may be your regular size. Try them on with the sock combination you plan to use. Don't change something that may have been working for decades. :)
The larger size gives me just a bit of extra room at the end of the shoe, and room for socks. Probably the size I should normally be wearing at home. ;)

The larger size gives me just a bit of extra room at the end of the shoe, and room for socks. Probably the size I should normally be wearing at home. ;)
I'm also a 10.5 - 11 wearer, and require a wide and largish toe box. I have a wide foot, so I typically buy men's shoes for distance walking footwear.

People are all so different in how they treat their feet and what they wear. I am a faithful user of Bodyglide, which is available at REI. Distance runners use it, and it is a stick of moisturizing body stuff that I found to work great on my feet before I put socks on in the morning. I only had two small blisters on the first Camino--500 miles, all walk and no bus--and I had no blisters on this recent walk (seventeen days of typically walking at least 16 k. per day).

Many will recommend different socks, liners, and et cetera. You need to experiment. I have friends that swear by liners, for instance--and I don't need them. I do like using Smartwool socks, the medium or lightweight. I don't like my feet to get hot, so typically change my socks at least once per day. Neither do I like a sock tight on my ankle. Just a few things to think about!

Buen Camino!

When it comes to shoes that is. I have ordered and returned at least a dozen pair. I can't go into a local shoe store to get fitted because none of the local stores carry my size. I have a long narrow foot, and normally wear a US size 10 or 11 women's shoe. But to get the extra room I need I need a 12 or 12.5, which some manufacturers make, but the stores don't carry. I find most of the men's shoes too wide. I'm looking for the ideal lightweight, supportive shoe that will work on all kinds of terrain, and last 500+ miles - not too much to ask for, right?

I still have 4 months before I start the Camino, so I have time to find the right shoes. I don't want to test out several pair of $100 shoes, but I think that's what I'm going to have to do. Just pick a pair and try them out for a few long walks. I just walked about 10 miles today in my beloved Skechers GoRun shoes, and did fine, but I don't think that the sole would last 500 miles.

I received my latest shoes in the mail today, and I really like them. They are New Balance Vazee Summit Trail. They are nice and lightweight, and have plenty of toe room. I tried them on after the walk, when my feet are at their biggest.

I also emailed New Balance and asked if they recommended this shoe for the kind of walking that I will be doing. This was their response:
"Thank you for contacting us. I think the Vazee Summit would be a great choice for you!

The Vazee Summit was engineered for the highest performance, including long distance walking. It's constructed with a soft and meshy tongue that is connected to the sole which means there are no little gaps for dirt and debris to sneak in. It has the three essentials needed for exploring any terrain comfortably: lightweight cushioning, flexibility and protection."

So, I'm crossing my fingers that this commitment phobe has found her match!
Love my New Balance. I bought a size larger because I'm wearing liners and smart wool. Plus I lace lock.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
After a brief flirtation with a pair of Skechers Ultra Trail shoes (too small, I had to send them back), I've had my first walk in my New Balance shoes.
I love how lightweight they are, but knew that the thin insole that they came with them wouldn't cut it. So I walked 6 miles to the REI store, and got fitted with some Superfeet insoles. They made the 6 miles home much more comfortable! I've got the beginnings of a couple of blisters on the balls of my feet that started earlier in the week when walked about 11 miles in my Skechers running shoes (sans socks, because that's how I always wear them). I'm hoping that the Superfeet solve that problem, but I've ordered some Engo patches from Amazon just in case.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.