• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Information request

capecorps

Thought I’d try a catholic pilgrimage. Any information on monasteries, churches, religious sites or any other insights would be appreciated.

Thanks

Thoughts carried on the midnight breeze under a clouded sky:

Pilgrim: I’m bored. Is this all there is? During the many decades of my working life, my conceit was that if I only had the time, I could do great things. I’ve been comfortably retired now for three years and have not done much of anything except pander to every passing fancy.

Jesus: You can’t live by bread alone. The great things you thought you’d do were of this world and just a dream. But you did stumble towards the light. Recall that of your own free will, you undertook two arduous pilgrimages to Santiago de Compostela in 2012 and 2014. Is it just a passing whim that you intend to go on yet another when the snow clears in 2016?

Pilgrim: I cannot deceive you, Jesus. My motivation in undertaking those pilgrimages was not primarily religious. I thought I would have a good time – and I did. Though, now you mention it, I did feel your presence at times. Fleeting, golden moments of sublime ecstasy no sooner realized than gone; but most times, I forget you; other times I struggle to believe.

Jesus: All who walk are blessed, though many know not what they do. I see you as the sun sets over a Camino village. You leave the warmth of your friends’ company for the cold stone of my house. You are sitting all alone in the huge cavernous church. There are only seven elderly Spanish ladies to celebrate the sacred mysteries. I know how desolate you felt when my frail overworked priest limped in with his frayed tunic and taped responses to the mass, the plaintive singing, the crumbling walls, how you pitied my poor church, how sad you were.

Pilgrim: I thought of all the saints and martyrs going to their death singing your praises; the untold millions baptized, married and buried in your name through the centuries; the magnificent cathedrals filled to bursting with the faithful - reduced to this- a congregation of seven and my own weak self in a crumbling church in an abandoned village in the middle of nowhere. My heart broke. But then I re-joined my fellow pilgrims; feasted, drank wine, laughed, made merry; and forgot.

Jesus: Do not despair. The beloved are just asleep. A new dawn is breaking and soon they will awake. I am glad you were not long cast down. It is good to have joy in your life. Remember that I changed water into the finest wine for the celebrations at Cana; wine to gladden the heart of man.

I have a proposal: take me with you on your next Camino; try to walk a Catholic pilgrimage and see where it takes you.

Lucifer: Don’t abandon your life of ease. You’ll just stress yourself out going on a pilgrimage with Jesus; you’ll be a figure of fun for the sophisticates of this world. I know this guy from a long time ago. I offered him everything in the desert, but no, he had to go and die on the cross. For what? For a bunch of ungrateful louts who don’t even remember him today. You’ll be all alone. He’s yesterday’s man. I’m the man, the man of the hour. Hang around with me and you’ll have lots of fun. I’ll find work for your idle hands. We’ll ramp up the pleasures and have a really good time.

St. James: Be gone Satan. Sully not the ears of my pilgrim with your vile calumny.

Pilgrim: I’m not sure, Jesus. I’m pretty weak.

Jesus: Have faith. I’ll be with you. My grace is sufficient for you because power is perfected in weakness. I am the Way, the truth and life.

Pilgrim: I’ll try.

The clouds clear and the moon and stars shine down.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thought I’d try a catholic pilgrimage. Any information on monasteries, churches, religious sites or any other insights would be appreciated.

Hola Capecorps, One of the most uplifting Masses I attended on the CF was in this little Church in Rabanal del Camino. I had just restarted the Camino in Astorga after a bout of illness and this service helped "revive my drooping spirit"! Buen Camino.

View media item 4048

Thanks Jmac,

I too attended mass at your pictured church in Rabanal on a dark and stormy night last October. I agree: very uplifting. My friend wants a word:

St James: Blessed be this pilgrim. His heart's in the right place.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Just by way of contrast, the packed Sunday Pilgrim Mass in Santiago was a very grand, yet still very uplifting service. It so happened that the Cardinal of Manila concelebrated the Mass the day I attended. In his homily he said "Jesus is The Way - El Camino". Enough said!

View media item 4050

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Attended a lovely service in Estella, each pilgrim was invited to the alter after mass for a blessing. Would recommend
Buen Camino

Hopefully, replies here will respond to the OP's question concerning information and locations of religious sites.

Discussion of religion remains a violation of the rules.
Please be very careful in your posts so that the thread can remain open.

Thanks for understanding.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The list is long, but I try:

Roncesvalles - Mass and pilgrims blessing
Eunate - lovely church in the fields, opening hours in winter might vary
Logrono - Parish refuge with communal meal and pilgrims prayer
Santo Domingo de la Calzada - don't miss the miraculous chicken ;-)
Granon - Parish refuge with communal meal and pilgrims prayer
Tosantos - Parish refuge with communal meal and pilgrims prayer
San Anton - very simple albergue in monastery ruins, makes you feel like a medieval pilgrim
San Nicoals - Albergue run by Maltese order, foot washing, blessing and communal meal
Bercianos - communal meal and pilgrims prayer/sunset watching on top of bodegas, closed in winter
Leon - sharing the daily office with the nuns, especially Completas is very pilgrim orientated
Rabanal - as mentioned above by others
Manjarin - some love it, some not, But Tomas still performs his Templar blessing for pilgrims when he is around
Triacastela - dedicated multi-lingual pilgrims mass

Just a short selection from the top of my head :) I am sure others will mention those that I have forgotten. Buen Camino, SY

Thanks
Thoughts carried on the midnight breeze under a clouded sky:

Thank you. That was beautiful. We too are planning a Catholic pilgrimage - in late April and hope to get lots of ideas on this thread.
Mary

Hopefully, replies here will respond to the OP's question concerning information and locations of religious sites.

Discussion of religion remains a violation of the rules.
Please be very careful in your posts so that the thread can remain open.

Thanks for understanding.

Oops! Should I delete, or edit, my comments Moderator?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I think we can let it go for now. Please just keep to requests for factual information and replies.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I spent a lot of time making those stars when working with the sisters as a hospitalero.
They did not believe in idle hands for anyone!;)

I was always amazed at the high esteem pilgrims put on those little handmade stars.
Very humbling.

THANK YOU grayland and the sisters for your hard work! I was deeply touched by that service in the church in Sahagun! I was deeply moved when I discovered that the nuns were from the order of San Augustin. My late father's name was Augustine. I did palliative care for him until the end of his life.

That little star made by helping hands lifted the spirits of many! See attached photo. Mine was carried with me the entire Camino and is a permanent fixture in my wallet. Such a small thing has meant so much to many!

That is why I love the Camino and am panning Camino #2!

Dan

THANK YOU grayland and the sisters for your hard work! I was deeply touched by that service in the church in Sahagun! I was deeply moved when I discovered that the nuns were from the order of San Augustin. My late father's name was Augustine. I did palliative care for him until the end of his life.

That little star made by helping hands lifted the spirits of many! See attached photo. Mine was carried with me the entire Camino and is a permanent fixture in my wallet. Such a small thing has meant so much to many!

That is why I love the Camino and am panning Camino #2!

Dan

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    888.5 KB · Views: 14
Definitely still have my star...from Santa Maria in Carrion
It was a very special evening and a special place to stay.
One service that was quite moving was in Fromista; Mass was said not at the old church, but at a newer chapel right on the Camino--and almost all the participants were late middle-aged to quite elderly nuns, some with caretakers. They had such a sweet vibe.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Perhaps you will find my list below of active Monasteries, Convents and Chapter Houses on the CF which host pilgrims to be useful for your planning.

Active Monasteries/Convents/Chapter houses Along the CF Which Host Pilgrims

listed by Etapa/Stage in geographic sequence from east to west along the camino
long/lat coordinates are given and sites are located on an interactive Google map

accommodation may be pilgrim albergue, hospederia, or on-site hotel
available Eroski and Gronze albergue citations as well as site specific webs are linked
mspath links my relevant 2004-2014 Camino Gazetteer posts/photos

Etapa/Stage 1--Roncevalles, long./lat. 43.009829, -1.319609
Real Colegiata de Roncesvalles,
three albergues; new, old and winter, in monastery structures
three hotels
Eroski >
Gronze >
monastery web>
albergue web >
lodging web >
////
mspath >

Etapa/Stage 3--Trinidad de Arre, long./lat. 42.836184, -1.604158
Santisma Trinidad de Arre
albergue in monastery garden
Eroski >
Gronze>
monastery web>
albergue web>
////
mspath>

Etapa/Stage 9--Santo Domingo de la Calzada, long./lat. 42.439793, -2.951042
Nuestra Senora de la Anunciacion
albergue in monastery
Eroski >
Gronze>
monastery web>
albergue web>

lodging web>
////
mspath>

Etapa/Section 12-- (off CF se of Burgos), Santo Domingo de Silos, long./lat. 41.961894, -3.419348
Monasterio Santo Domingo de Silos
monastery web>
hosperderia for men only hosperderia web >

Etapa/Stage 15--Carrion de los Condes, long./lat. 42.336832, -4.598489
Monasterio de Santa Clara,
albergue-hospederia in monastery
Eroski>
Gronze>

Espiritu Santo, long./lat. 42.336262, -4.602998
albergue in monastery
Eroski>
Gronze>
////
mspath>

Etapa/Stage 17--Sahagun, long./lat/ 42.369572, -5.035756
Monasterio de las Madres Benedictinas de Santa Cruz
albergue-hospederia in monastery
Eroski >
Gronze>
monastery web>
////

Etapa/Stage 18--Leon, long./lat. 42.595183, -5.567970
Monasterio de las Benedictinas (Carbajalas), albergue in monastery
hospederia in monastery
Eroski >
Gronze>
monastery web>
////
mspath>

Etapa/Stage 21--Rabanal del Camino, long./lat. 42.482154, -6.284901
San Salvador de Monte Irago Monasterio
(spiritual retreats of 2 or more nights)
monastery web>
////
mspath>

Etapa/Stage 26--Samos, long./lat. 42.732478, -7.325386
Monasterio de Samos,
albergue in monastery
hospederia in monastery
Eroski >
Gronze>
monastery web>
////
mspath>

Etapa/Stage 26--Sarria, long./lat, 42.778979, -7.420942
Monasterio de la Magdalena,
albergue in monastery
Eroski >
Gronze>

Etapa/Stage 29--Sobrado dos Monxes, ( off CF north of Melide,) long./lat. 43.038674, -8.022554
Santa Maria do Sobrado Monasterio
albergue in ex stable
hospederia in monastery
monastery web>
////

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
What a useful list. I am going to copy it to the FAQ section to make it easier to find. Good to see you back on the forum, Margaret btw.

Perhaps you will find my list below of active Monasteries, Convents and Chapter Houses on the CF which host pilgrims to be useful for your planning.

What a useful list. I am going to copy it to the FAQ section to make it easier to find. Good to see you back on the forum, Margaret btw.
Margaret, as usual you have come up with a gem--so much information! Thank you very much.
(Not to sidetrack the thread but I hope you are well!)
And Kanga--thanks for that. Very good to have this information easily findable!

Thank you for all your replies and I will surely incorporate them in my Spring Camino.

(Moderators: feel free to delete italicized part)

As part of my continuing quest to get to the bottom of this whole religion thing, one thing I’ve been wondering about is how closely today’s standard, yellow arrowed Camino Frances path follows the traditional Medieval pilgrimage path ie. to what extent are we treading hallowed ground sanctified by the blood, sweat and tears of millions of past pilgrims.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back