• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ingles in Four Days

Davroos

Hi

I've walked a couple of Caminos and long distance walking doesn't bother me and I was looking at the Mundicamino site and it states that you can walk this in four days using the following steps from the outline map

Day 1 - Ferrol - Miño - 24
Day 2 - Miño - Bruma (Mesía) - 29.4
Day 3 - Bruma (Mesía) - Sigüeiro - 29.1
Day 4 - Sigüeiro - Santiago de Compostela - 19

But using the section link, I get the following

Day 1 - FERROL - MIÑO - 39.9
Day 2 - MIÑO - BRUMA (MESÍA) - 38.8
Day 3 - BRUMA (MESÍA) - SIGÜEIRO - 29.1
Day 4 - SIGÜEIRO - SANTIAGO DE COMPOSTELA - 18

So which one is right?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Johhny Walker's CSJ Guide to the Camino Inglés reports:

For those wishing to use albergues:
Ferrol – Neda 11kms
Neda – Miño 27 kms =38km.
Miño – Hospital de Bruma 38 kms
Hospital de Bruma – Sigüeiro 24 kms
Sigüeiro – Santiago de Compostela 16 kms

The waymarkers between Sigueiro and SDC seem to suggest that 18km is more likely.

It looks like there is discrepency in all three sources but Option 1 in your list seems to be well wrong in places.

The Ferrol to Santiago route earns you a compostella (which the A Coruna route does not) so it is over 100km from Santiago.

The Camino Ingles guide from the CSJ is on a free download on their site but they ask for a donation to help keep this service going.

The route is much more rural, quieter and hillier than the Francés. I walked it in 2009 and enjoyed it very much.

Hola

The mileages in the CSJ guide are correct - I would say that! However they have now been checked several times.

The route can be walked in 4 days in the way described but it does mean the first day is almost 40 kms from Ferrol to Miño

Regards

John

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The two lots of distance come directly from mundicamino !!!

As for walking 40 Klms on the first day, I did this last year on the Portuguese route and also on the il Primitivo. Distance does not matter to me, but as I work, I can only get 6 days off and I need one day either side to get to the start and to leave.

I will have a look at the CSJ guide and if I do this, I will make a donation upon download

Thanks

Johnny Walker wrote
'The mileages in the CSJ guide are correct - I would say that! However they have now been checked several times.

We walked the route with a pedometer (to check our daily distances) and, apart from Ferrol to Neda, it agreed almost exactly with the CSJ guide.
There were several extra kms on the first day (Ferrol to Narón) because we took the scenic route out of Ferrol. Also we wondered if the distance starting from the harbour rather than the town centre had been added in.
Apart from that stretch we found the distances accurate to within half a kilometre, accounted for by the pedometer settings.
Buen Camino

PS Do make sure to get 2 sellos per day. If there are no places open and you see some one local ask them if they will sign your credencial and put place and time. We found 2 lots of folk who were really pleased to help. Just make sure you have a pen/pencil with you!

I did the Ingles last summer and just two weeks ago. If you can walk the long distances, then it is certainly do-able in 4 days. The first (Ferrol to Mino) will be a long day but could be done easily by 5 PM if one leaves between 7 and 8 AM.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
daesdaemar said:
I did the Ingles last summer and just two weeks ago. If you can walk the long distances, then it is certainly do-able in 4 days. The first (Ferrol to Mino) will be a long day but could be done easily by 5 PM if one leaves between 7 and 8 AM.

I carry a GPS and I walk at an average of five Klms p/h. This is in effect an 8-9 hour walk. Normally I am up at 6 and walking by 7. I take it all in, I have blogged my last two walks and uploaded 100's of photos, so I do take it in.

I am hoping that there are not many people because I found when the il Primitivo joined the Frances at Melida, the pilgrims were horrible. Previously, everyone had been quiet and looked after each other, but I was disgusted with the pilgrims behavour. Awaking at 5, making loads of noise, running to get a bed and hot shower. I do not want this !!!

In 2007 I met a group of four young american students who were doing it in two days.
(The compostela doesn't mention how long you've been walking and where).

Anything is possible!

Enjoy your walk,
Jean-Marc

In June 2009 there was me and two peregrinas in Neda. I in one dormitory and they in the other.

At Mino there was one other male and about eight peregrinas' Plenty of space.

On my first visit to Hospital de Bruma there was me by myself upstairs and 4 peregrimas downstairs. On my 2nd, as I walked the A Coruna leg, there was me upstairs and a French couple downstairs.

I guess August will be busier but you would be unlucky to be overwhelmed by a large group.

At Sigüeiro I stayed the first time in the sports hall; 6 peregrinas and me. The second visit I went in the hostal. There is a football ground next to the sports hall. I stayed on a Saturday night. KO was at 9.00pm local time so you can imagine how noisy it was till it finished.

Does anyone know if the proposed albergue is open yet? It was supposed to be ready for 2010.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
the pilgrims were horrible. Previously, everyone had been quiet and looked after each other, but I was disgusted with the pilgrims behavour. Awaking at 5, making loads of noise, running to get a bed and hot shower. I do not want this !!!
I know that the behavior of others can be frustrating, but you do not honestly expect them to "do it your way" do you? They are controlling their world just as you control yours. I rise at 4:20 a.m. daily (without the loads of noise), and am comfortable doing that on the Camino, exhaustion permitting. Even if you told me your preferences, I am not sure I would abide by them. I might even suggest that you go to bed earlier so that you can conform to my schedule. :D

falcon269 said:
I know that the behavior of others can be frustrating, but you do not honestly expect them to "do it your way" do you? They are controlling their world just as you control yours. I rise at 4:20 a.m. daily (without the loads of noise), and am comfortable doing that on the Camino, exhaustion permitting. Even if you told me your preferences, I am not sure I would abide by them. I might even suggest that you go to bed earlier so that you can conform to my schedule. :D

Mybe you have walked the Frances, but on the il Primitivo and the Portuguese, people are respectful of each other and they don't go slamming doors at 05:00 nor keep talking till 23:30. The most we had in a dorm was 20 before I came across the Frances route. I go to bed early as a long walk does tire you, and maybe you are quiet but there are plenty that are not.

I did not come on here for an arguement, only to find a quiet walk

I agree with you completely that crowds make a huge difference. The only control a pilgrim has is choosing a route. After that, it is out of one's control, and, in my opinion, not worth expending the energy to be irritated. It can be busy on a quiet route; it can be quiet on a busy route. Some nights it felt like there were 20 others in my bunk, not just the dormitory! January of 2011 saw 20 pilgrims a day on the Camino Frances in the dead of winter. With as many as 1,500 pilgrims a day in the summer, the Camino Frances is a bad choice for those who do not want to travel in a crowd.

While I sleep though the late night revelers and their noisy entry, I don't feel a particular obligation to creep around in the morning to avoid interrupting their sleep. They like the night. I like the morning. Chacun a son gout.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
As I suspected. Thank you for the reply.

falcon269 said:
While I sleep though the late night revelers and their noisy entry, I don't feel a particular obligation to creep around in the morning to avoid interrupting their sleep. They like the night. I like the morning. Chacun a son gout.

Have you walked any of the smaller ones? The two I've done, people would get up early but they tried not to make noise. Most people got to know each other as there was a core of people who were walking from albergue to albergue. I just hope that I meet similar people on this next Camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
There were about 12 of us in the albergue at Miño in May, old and young. All very friendly. One couple even changed dormitories so that a group could be together.

Those who came back in late crept in, and those leaving early crept out. No one disturbed anyone. We went to bed early and woke late by others standards so appreciated the thoughtfulness.

Terry noticed the difference 2 years ago between the Primitivo and the Francés. He says the Inglés is like the Primitivo for attitudes.

Buen Camino

On the Arles, Vezelay, and Aragones routes, I never saw more than three other pilgrims in a day for weeks on end. The first night on the Camino Frances at Puente La Reina after the Aragones, there were about sixty others!

Even when numbers are large, most pilgrims are quite attentive to the needs of others. Noisy, late arrivals and very early, noisy departures were exceptions in my experience. With many facilities expecting pilgrims to be gone by 8 a.m., regardless of sunrise, there seemed to be a consensus about rising at 6:30. A few places declared 7 a.m. as reveille.

http://usscouts.org/mb/bugle/reveille.mp3

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
falcon269 said:
With many facilities expecting pilgrims to be gone by 8 a.m.

Most places I have stayed in are similar when it comes to leaving, I just think that people on the Frances, well the two days that I encountered this year did not think of their fellow pilgrims when comparing to the il Primitivo and the Portuguese

The Ingles is a very quiet Camino. Both times I saw a minimal number of other pilgrims. It is the solitude of the Ingles that appeals to me.

Most read last week in this forum

I did a search in this sub-forum but couldn't find anything recent. How much cash should I bring for the Ingles? All of my pre-booked accommodations except one accept credit card. That one place...
No rooms in Bruma tonight. Anywhere. Is it cheating to take a cab 10k away to get a place to stay?
Here is a brief outline of our Camino from Reading UK to Santiago de Compostella via the Camino Ingles. Day 1 April 7th Reading to Little London. Reading is very Pilgrim friendly, great signage...
Hello all, I'll be walking the Camino Inlgés staring 21st May, along with my husband and my mother. My husband and I are relatively fit, in our mid-40's, and my 75-year-old mother is somewhat fit...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back