• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Introduction from Australia

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
See you there, :D we starting on 24.04, having ANZAC on th go ( biscuits), provided there is no more ashes in the air that could spoil our flights from Sydney to Paris.Good luck with your plans and Buen Camino

jeremy

This will be an interesting thread - I am guessing not many will know the significance of ANZAC Day on this frorum - except for we folk from the antipodes! When I walk the Via Francigena it is my intention to detour off the path and arrive at Villiers Brettenoux on the eve of the 25th of April - should be quite something.

Walking in France on the various pilgrim routes there are many moving war memorials. I remember one - very close to the Pyrennees - a statue of a woman kneeling at the foot of the memorial weeping, and there were others - a woman clutching the sick, and so on. In Bayonne the memorial is in a number of different parts, but one end is of a Basque man leading an ox, and at the other end is a soldier standing guard over his lost mates.

The only memorial I remember seeing in Spain - and it wasn't really one as such - was the mosaic of Picasso's painting "Gernika" - in the town of Gernika, on the Camino del Norte. Although the Spanish had such an horrendous time with the civil war, evidence is not seen of it, in the form of memorials in the same way it is in France (or in Aust & NZ).

I'm off to start cooking biscuits for a fundraiser!!!!! (Anzac Biscuits!)

Buen Camino, Janet

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Janet -

As Commonwealth members, we learned about ANZAC day in elementary school (of course for me that was more than a few years ago! :wink:

Actually there are dozens of war memorials in Spain - the largest I think is Valle de los Caidos (Valley of the Fallen) just outside Madrid (Franco forced convicts to build it, and he himself is entombed there). (Scroll down to see the entire memorial)

We saw several more memorials along the Via de la Plata!

Cheers,

lynne

Attachments

• Santa Cruz del Valle de los Caidos.jpg
    Santa Cruz del Valle de los Caidos.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 339
If I recall correctly, there is a civil war memorial on the camino Frances between Monte de Oca and San Juan de Ortega.

I agree that they are few and far in between in Spain.

As an old soldier, I have a keen eye for those and never miss the opportunity to pay respect.

Salute,
Jean-Marc

Jean Marc - As I logged onto this thread today my thoughts went to the memorial in the Monts de Oca memorial - and lo! - there was your post! That was a special place there at the top of a hill, in the quiet of the forest (if the road noise didn't intrude). I can't think of any others on the CF though - perhaps I missed them, and I don't recall any on the C. Aragonese either. (Yes, there are memorials for fallen pilgrims, but I was just thinking those fallen as a result of conflict.)

Lynne - I am sure there are lots of memorials elsewhere in Spain, but I was just thinking of the CF when I posted, and the Chemins I have walked in France. There is a particularly impressive Canadian memorial in London, and when I eventually do the Via Francigena I will, hopefully, walk through the Canadian cemetery on the Western Front in my detour.

Regards, Janet

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Sorry, I misread your post - I agree about the CF - I don't remember seeing the memorial to which you and Jean Marc refer, but if I walk the CF again I'll look for it. I do find war memorials fascinating - Dieppe was especially moving.

lynne

lynnejohn said:
I do find war memorials fascinating - Dieppe was especially moving.

Lynne,

If you have walked in France, you must have been fascinated a lot, for there are war memorials in every little village and hamlet. Some of them very elaborate and moving.

By the way, I noticed the ''poppies'' in your avatar. I sport one of them on my licence plate, officially delivered by the Provincial Government, as a recognition of my 35 years of service. Nice gesture!
In fact, it's the only ''vanity plate'' available in the Province of Québec and it's free. 8)

Cheers,
Jean-Marc

Ola to all of you,

My name is Jane. My parents, brother my partner and I are beginning the camino from SJPDP on 24th of April . so to Ian, Margie and Jeremy, I am sure we will see eachother along the way! Although I am a bit worried about the ash too. I also hope our flight on tuesday from sydney to paris will take off. I cant wait to go on this amazing trip!

Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
ianmargie said:
Hi we are a couple from Tasmania who have been volunteering in Tanzania. We plan to become pilgrims on Anzac day 25th April 2010

hi ian and margie,

I hadnt paid much attention to this forum since before the camino but, I just read back through my old posts and saw your names come up and realise that you must have been the couple in which myself, my dad and my partner had been chatting to at the memorial site at monte do gozo just before santiago. Wow, what a small world! I didnt think to look out for forum members on the way. Well I hope you had a fantastic trip!

regards,
Jane
from Sydney

8) HI Everyone,
To all of you who have recently returned, i would love some info on how many Pilgrims are on the road, did you have trouble finding a bed, etc. As my Sister and i are both in our sixties, any information would be appreciated. I leave for Madrid next monday.
Cheers Tanya
Geraldton W.A

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi Camino Family, I am travelling from Australia to start the Le Puy Camino May 27th 2024. If there is anyone else planning on walking around this time, it would be great to connect. I speak...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.