Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Invierno - My Best Albergue Ever? - Video Tour

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
If you are considering the Camino Invierno, DO consider the alternate route up to Villavieje from Ponferrada.
  1. The views are stunning.
  2. It breaks up a long day to Las Medulas.
  3. And the Municipal Albergue is amazing. Facilities, views...
I did a video 'tour' of the Albergue before anyone else arrived.
And no one else did arrive!

I had it to myself for the night. :)
And got to sleep with the windows wide open watching a thunderstorm across the mountains.......

If staying here, you need to bring your own food....... nothing in the village. nada...... no shop, no bar, nothing.
Just 11 inhabitants. Though I never saw anyone.......

View attachment Day 40 - Ponferrada to Villaveja.mp4

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It is truly a splendid albergue. From memory, there is a Japanese link of some kind. When we stayed we had to wander around until we got a mobile signal to get someone to come and open up for us, the code system is a vast improvement. It was quite a hike up though, and we wondered whether it was worth the considerable detour off the obvious route up a very steep and stony path, until we saw the view of the castle next morning.

DSC04550.JPGDSC04554.JPG

Think twice before booking on a weekend...code didn't work for me on a Sunday and no one could open up for me. The women at the castle was very nice but couldn't leave her post and she had the same code I did, I guess they had been having trouble with the code......this was in winter so off season as well....it was so hard to see in the window and not be able to open the door. Then of course the extra 12km to las medulas......
However I'm still dreaming of a 3rd inverno in summer.......LOVE IT!!
MaryEllen

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If you are considering the Camino Invierno, DO consider the alternate route up to Villavieje from Ponferrada.
  1. The views are stunning.
  2. It breaks up a long day to Las Medulas.
  3. And the Municipal Albergue is amazing. Facilities, views...
I did a video 'tour' of the Albergue before anyone else arrived.
And no one else did arrive!

I had it to myself for the night. :)
And got to sleep with the windows wide open watching a thunderstorm across the mountains.......

If staying here, you need to bring your own food....... nothing in the village. nada...... no shop, no bar, nothing.
Just 11 inhabitants. Though I never saw anyone.......

View attachment 149217
Thanks for the tour! It was lovely! I’ll file it away for future reference!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Folks can anyone advise about the ease. or lack of ease. of pack transport along the Invierno route? Many Thanks Michael.
We’re scoping out accommodation on the Invierno, and @C clearly noticed that Pensión As Viñas is on booking. There is an annotation “new to booking.” Many of us stayed there before the albergue...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back