• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is it "Cruz De Ferro" or "Cruce De Ferro", or something else entirely?

jrm

Hello all,

I'm working on a project, and am trying to figure out the correct spelling of "cruz de ferro". I've seen a few different spellings. Anyone have an answer on which is correct?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Anyone have an answer on which is correct?

It will depend on which language you are speaking. In what we know as "Spanish" (which is actually the Castellano dialect), it would be "Cruz de Hierro". However, this is probably one of the least used ways to name it.
"Cruz de Ferro" is in Galician (galego), therefore the name usually used by the Cathedral of Santiago (located in the Galicia Autonomous Community) and other official institutions. It is also spelt that way in Portuguese.
"Cruz de Fierro" is the Leonese spelling, as the cross itself is in the Leon province.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Cruz de Ferro? True, the obvious parts of it are iron. I myself have followed tradition and have placed there on 5-6 different occasions bits of Jerusalem limestone or Meleke (Royal Stone) as our Arab neighbors call it. There is a huge pile of stones pebbles and rocks from other pilgrims as well. Sadly there are also piles and piles of postcards, plastic knickknacks, ribbons, notes, greeting cards, flags, dolls, I've seen business cards, a poster once - all which may look lovely when placed but after two or three Galician rainstorms the site - so spiritual for many pilgrims - often takes the appearance of a sad trash heap. Restraint is not one of my virtues but here, I believe, restraint should be applied.

Last edited:
P.S. As you approach the Cruz de Ferro, you know it's right there ahead of you, often you can hear the noise of many people gathered in the distance - as you approach there is a small memorial stone often passed unseen or ignored, a stone commemorating those who died in the Spanish Cival War. No politics mind you, but do stop for a sobering thought on this conflict and on other wars elsewhere.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It will depend on which language you are speaking. In what we know as "Spanish" (which is actually the Castellano dialect), it would be "Cruz de Hierro". However, this is probably one of the least used ways to name it.
"Cruz de Ferro" is in Galician, therefore the name usually used by the Cathedral of Santiago (located in the Galicia province) and other official institutions. It is also spelt that way in Portuguese.
"Cruz de Fierro" is the Leonese spelling, as the cross itself is in the Leon province.
Yes everything is correct, but Galicia is not a province (and never was). It is an Autonomous Community and has 4 provinces: A Coruña, Lugo, Ourense and Pontevedra.

P.S. As you approach the Cruz de Ferro, you know it's right there ahead of you, often you can hear the noise of many people gathered in the distance - as you approach there is a small memorial stone often passed unseen or ignored, a stone commemorating those who died in the Spanish Cival War. No politics mind you, but do stop for a sobering thought on this conflict and on other wars elsewhere.
Do you have pic of that stone?

Thanks for the input and the history. I really appreciate it! If it’s good enough for the cathedral, the spelling is good enough for me :) I ended up doing a little vintage travel poster piece based on a photo I took of my buddy walking up to the cross to set his stone down and just wanted to have it marked right.

Cruz Fe Ferro
If I need to delete this link, please let me know. I’m not trying to promote anything, just share some Camino love and put some clarity to the question I was asking!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks for the input and the history. I really appreciate it! If it’s good enough for the cathedral, the spelling is good enough for me :) I ended up doing a little vintage travel poster piece based on a photo I took of my buddy walking up to the cross to set his stone down and just wanted to have it marked right.

Cruz Fe Ferro
If I need to delete this link, please let me know. I’m not trying to promote anything, just share some Camino love and put some clarity to the question I was asking!
I love it. You should post it as a pic. It perfectly captures the profound moment a pilgrim feels as he ascends the mound of burdens.

Galicia is not a province (and never was). It is an Autonomous Community and has 4 provinces: A Coruña, Lugo, Ourense and Pontevedra.

My bad! I checked the translations (as Portuguese is my first language and Galego is very similar) and did not check the correct naming for the types of regions! I will fix it in the original post so there is no error in that. Thanks for the heads up!

Jrm, nice poster! I hope your friend in the photo liked it too, it is a beautiful job!

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yes everything is correct, but Galicia is not a province (and never was). It is an Autonomous Community and has 4 provinces: A Coruña, Lugo, Ourense and Pontevedra.
Yes, many people confuse the different autonomous communities in Spain with provinces. There are 17 autonomous communities (plus two autonomous cities) , with provinces within them.

Do you have pic of that stone?
Sadly no, though once, no politics mind you, I arranged a row of stones spelling out ¡no pasarán! in honor of my two uncles who died in the conflict - fighting for the side which lost.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Should you really want to know try "Galicia-A Concise History" by Sharif Gemie University of Wales Press easily found ABE books

Should you really want to know try "Galicia-A Concise History" by Sharif Gemie University of Wales Press easily found ABE books
Ok, thank you , I will read it.
Galicia was part of the Roman province Gallaecia that included Asturias, Leon and North Portugal. Since then never has been considered as "province".

Ok, thank you , I will read it.
Galicia was part of the Roman province Gallaecia that included Asturias, Leon and North Portugal. Since then never has been considered as "province".
Your local bookshop may have problems finding the book, look here:

€60,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Cruz de Ferro - galego
Cruz de Fierro - old spanish
Cruz de Hierro - modern spanish

Sadly no, though once, no politics mind you, I arranged a row of stones spelling out ¡no pasarán! in honor of my two uncles who died in the conflict - fighting for the side which lost.
¡no pasarán!
brings memories of La Pasionaria & Ruben

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back