• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is it necessary to make a reservation in St Jean?

Time of past OR future Camino
10 to 14 days on El Camino from SSPDP July 2014
The 1. of July I am arriving in St Jean with my 15y old son. It is our first time on El Camino. Is it necessary to reserve a bed for the first night?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It all depends on the the time you will be arriving. But just to be sure make a reservation :) also in roncesvalles... You really don't want to sleep in the old albergue

Shalom from Jerusalem and Buen Camino! Plenty of opions if you work now, best of the best? Has always been L'Esprit du Chemin located right across the street from the Pilgrim's Office-now under new management and renamed Beilari -pilgrim in Basque see here
http://www.beilari.info/en/our-hostel email them or call to be sure.

Do you have your credencial? The Pilgrim's Office is packed in the summer months, often out of credencials - get one here on this forum or if you are in America write to the American Friends of the Camino here
http://www.americanpilgrims.com/camino/credential_req.html
Buen Camino!!!

We arrive in Biarritz at 14.45, so it could be quite late... Where would you recommend to stay in Roncevalle?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The Collegiate Church in Roncesvalles has a new albergue which is just fine, in busy months they may open the old one which is freezing cold even in the summer and often has problems with hot water. There are several expensive private options in Roncesvalles Casa Sabina or La Posada-but do reserve! If you can do another three kilometers, there are some options in Burgete just down the road - 3 kilometers after the climb of Route Napoleon will take at least another hour so plan well.

Thanks for your advices. :) Beilari is closed at the date we arrive, so it must be another one. I better start make som reservations... :) We already got our credentials, so we don't have to worry about that. :)

You really don't want to sleep in the old albergue
Ouch. :) On behalf of the hundreds of thousands who slept there, I rise to its defense! Nothing on the Camino said "Welcome" more than the hundred pilgrims, muscles sore and feet tender, standing in line for a couple of showers and maybe some warm water. When they reopen the remodel, I hope they build in some privation. Honestly, is there any scene in "The Way" that better illustrates the new world a pilgrim enters than Sheen's first night in the old albergue? The new albergue, with all its cleanliness and adequate facilities; harrumph. Give me dust, stairs to the toilet, smells, stacked mattresses, and a hundred roommates any day.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thank you for the answer. I'll start looking for a place to stay. :)

Here are three separate listings from the SJPdP Office de Tourism for
pilgrim albergues, hotels and chambres d'hotes in SJPdP itself.

In Saint-Jean the pilgrim office of the Amis du Chemin de Saint Jacques at 39 rue de la Citadelle usually stays open for the arrival of the last train. Their telephone is 05 59 37 05 09. In season the pilgrims office is usually open from 7h30 to 12h30 and then from 13h30 to 22h. They can provide you with a Credential and on site lodging assistance. They keep up to the minute lists of ALL available space throughout the SJPdP area.

Margaret Meredith

And if possible don't stay in a hotel in SJPP !!! In my experience some of my best camino friends I meet the first day at the albergue :) everybody is very exited and full of good vipes

Ouch. :) On behalf of the hundreds of thousands who slept there, I rise to its defense! Nothing on the Camino said "Welcome" more than the hundred pilgrims, muscles sore and feet tender, standing in line for a couple of showers and maybe some warm water. When they reopen the remodel, I hope they build in some privation. Honestly, is there any scene in "The Way" that better illustrates the new world a pilgrim enters than Sheen's first night in the old albergue? The new albergue, with all its cleanliness and adequate facilities; harrumph. Give me dust, stairs to the toilet, smells, stacked mattresses, and a hundred roommates any day.

On my second camino I stayed there and I get why some people like it. But to be honest I had a horrible time there :) the donkeys making noise all night,no warm water and more of those things...I had a great time helping pilgrims going back to bed because they turn the light off at 10 pm and there where people still taking showers :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It all depends on the the time you will be arriving. But just to be sure make a reservation :) also in roncesvalles... You really don't want to sleep in the old albergue

There is nothing "old" about that albergue.. it is one of the finest on the Camino. And with 183 beds, there is plenty of room :)

There is nothing "old" about that albergue.. it is one of the finest on the Camino. And with 183 beds, there is plenty of room :)

I think you are mistaken with the albergue I'm calling "old" the new one that is pure luxury and it's great, but when that one gets full and it does . You are send to the old monastery just down the road , it's no the worst place to stay but it surely doesn't compare the new one

Neither does the winter albergue with space for less than 20 pilgrims, one loo and one shower. However both these winter quarters and the old barnlike quarters are steeped in atmosphere!! The old quarters are used in season for over-flow when the new slick rather Hiltonesque albergue is full.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
14h45 arrival at Biarritz means last train (bus) to SJPdP. That means arriving after 20h00 after a long day of travel. I would recommend a reservation for the first night and that you know how to get there before you travel.

I stayed at Gite Azkorria. I reserved a private room for one night via a hotel website and stayed a second night ... Jet Lag. 55 euro per night and worth it.

They also have dormitory.

Gite Azkorria
http://www.saintjeanpieddeport-pays...-et-perlerins/gite-azkorriabigot#.U4tGK9JdXSs

There was a fellow on the train who did not have reservations. He followed me to the Pilgrim office across the road from Gite Azkorria and obtained a bed in an albergue. We ran into each other later for supper. He had to rush to get back to the albergue before it closed for the night.

And if possible don't stay in a hotel in SJPP !!! In my experience some of my best camino friends I meet the first day at the albergue :) everybody is very exited and full of good vipes

oh... this week I booked a room at the Erracaldia http://www.errecaldia.com/index.php/en/ - I'm driving down from home with my husband and he'll be walking the first day with me and we'll spend the night at Orrison... then he'll walk back to SJ and I'll walk on (to Santiago I hope!)... I hope I still manage to pick up on all those good vibes :)

The 1. of July I am arriving in St Jean with my 15y old son. It is our first time on El Camino. Is it necessary to reserve a bed for the first night?
Hi Charlotte.
July / August is Peak season on the Camino. To make sure you must not sleep under the bride make a Reservation for the first night.
The hostal Irugoinea takes reservations. It is in Espinal a few km fron Ronchesvalles and they have a free Transport Service from / to Roncesvalles.
Buen Camino
Jochen

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Nice to hear from all of you. I have decided to make a reservation for the first night in a separate room, so that we make sure to get some sleep. And after that, I'll take it as it comes... :)

I arrive in Biarritz at 1:20 this Wednesday! It looks as if I'll arrive too late for the last train to SJPP. Any advice on taxis from Biarritz to SJPP, or other alternative transportation. Thanks.

I arrive in Biarritz at 1:20 this Wednesday! It looks as if I'll arrive too late for the last train to SJPP. Any advice on taxis from Biarritz to SJPP, or other alternative transportation. Thanks.

If you mean 1:20 PM or 13.20 there are substitute buses from the Bayonne railroad station leaving at

14.55/arrives16.14/Everyday and HOLIDAYS
and
18.06/arrives 19.31/Monday thru Saturday

For transport from the Biarritz airport to Bayonne see this earlier Forum thread.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks. I meant 13.20--need to remember 24hr clock! What is the easiest way to get to Bayonne bus terminal from Biarritz airport?

Thanks. I meant 13.20--need to remember 24hr clock! What is the easiest way to get to Bayonne bus terminal from Biarritz airport?
At the moment and for the immediate future railroad provided buses are running from Bayonne railroad station to SJPdP. The approximate times are in my post above. Buy your ticket in the railroad station for the bus.

Take a Chronoplus bus 14 from the airport direct to the BAYONNE GARE (ie rr station).
Do NOT take a bus to the bus terminal.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm a hospitable on the pilgrim office at St Jean Pied de Port. Sure in this time it's better booking beds on private albergue because every day so much (more of 200) pilgrims start the camino there.
Buen camino

My personal observation around noon, 3 June, was there were more pilgrims (or at least people loaded with large backpacks and pole) in town today walking around the vicinity of the train station than there were locals.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
My personal observation around noon, 3 June, was there were more pilgrims (or at least people loaded with large backpacks and pole) in town today walking around the vicinity of the train station than there were locals.
How far or short in advance can one make a reservation? Not knowing how far I can walk in a day it seems like it would be hard to know where to book a room unless you can do it in the morning of the same day.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
PDXJXM, you will find this ends up being a personal choice and booking ahead isn't all that necessary. I booked Refuge Orrison for the first night because of it's popularity and limited space and then will trust my luck for the next 40+ days. Some people try to reserve their spot for the entire Camino which eliminates the spontaneity and can cause their plans to become unhinged if it starts raining heavily for example. Some people might recommend booking ahead for the next night if it is a busy time of the year, but that can't be done at municipal albergues which are first come, first serve.

How far or short in advance can one make a reservation? Not knowing how far I can walk in a day it seems like it would be hard to know where to book a room unless you can do it in the morning of the same day.
If you call in the morning, you know where there is NOT a bed, so it is a good strategy. It saves a lot of wandering at the end of the day. When you find a bed, you have set your goal for the day. If you are not going to make that goal, be courteous and call to cancel the reservation. Even late in the day that gives the hospitalero a chance to offer the bed to another weary pilgrim.

Buen camino.

Short answer is yes, June/July are very busy times of the year in St. Jean. It's best to be sure.
Buen Camino.
June /July might be busy but is not the busiest time of the year. May and August are peak months in SJPdP.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everyone. My name is Nika. I plan to take my backpack, and go on Camino in the end of the next week. I still don’t know how will I get from Kyiv to France. And what city should I come to… I...
I found I couldn't make any reservation in SJPP in the coming days. They are fully booked. I can't find even a single bed. What should I do? Is there anybody has a same situation?
Roncesvalles or push to Burguete? I prefer to avoid the recommended stages to avoid the race for albergues. Do you suggest Burguete? Is Roncesvalles too busy?
Several local news websites are reporting that in very bad weather a few days ago a pilgrim was found lost and confused walking the shoulder of the AP-1 highway near Burgos. Aiming for Burgos but...
Hi there, I am Nicole. I will start my trip from Villar de Mazarife on 20th May 2024, ends in Ponferrada. It will be my first time ever to hike on camino and I will be hiking alone. I have planned...
Hi all, just a quickie, My friend is near Leon and has fallen into the booking . Com panic as he doesn't want to risk not getting a bed. The word on the street is that beds are few and far...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back