• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is it necessary to reserve beds ahead of time for the first stretch?

Sssnek

Time of past OR future Camino
9/20/23 to 10/27/23 (hopefully)
Hello all!

I’m starting my first Camino in a couple weeks, and I am so so excited. I’m getting to SJPP in the afternoon on September 19th, and hoping to set out before sunrise on the 20th!

I’ve been reading recently that September is a very busy time to walk between SJPP and Pamplona. I’m trying really hard to not set many expectations or lay any hard and fast plans for my Camino, but I suppose I should still ask: do I definitely need to reserve beds ahead of time for the first stretch?

I’m 23, traveling solo, and while I do have some joint problems here and there, I’m also pretty confident in my ability to problem solve. Walking an extra few kilometers to find an open bed might suck at the end of a long day, but I want to balance that and safety with the freedom to live as much in the moment as I can. I’m not planning any of my stages beyond setting goal dates for a couple towns to keep me on track so I don’t miss my flight out.

I’d love any advice you can give me!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It’s not required and not even necessary at many times of the year. Depending on your exact start date, it may not be a problem for you….or it may be! Hard to forecast, just like the weather. September is busy, but it’s tapering off and the crowds tend to be closer to Santiago at this time. If you are comfortable walking to the next village or even taking a taxi to find a bed, then do not worry about prebooking. It’s very likely you won’t have any issues

If you are planning to stay at Orisson then you do need to reserve that as space is limited.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
If you are planning to stay at Orisson then you do need to reserve that as space is limited.
Maybe it’s silly or rushing things, but I think I’m going to try to get to Roncesvalles as my first stage… part of me says I should go slower, but another says it’ll be fine. I suppose time will tell!

Maybe it’s silly or rushing things, but I think I’m going to try to get to Roncesvalles as my first stage… part of me says I should go slower, but another says it’ll be fine. I suppose time will tell!
Lots of people go straight to Roncesvalles. You’ll be fine. I will say that Orisson is a nice first night because they do a lovely communal dinner.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hello and welcome, I will be a couple of weeks behind you (first Camino). I have only booked SJPP and will be heading for Roncesvalles on the first stage. Trying to work it as I go. That said, once I know my pace I might think ahead in terms of the Public Holiday on the 12th in case I need to book that. Enjoy and Buen Camino! 👣👣👣

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Most people go straight through to Roncesvalles.
The great majority do. On a busy day 300+ people will be leaving SJPDP. Between them Honto, Orisson and Borda can accommodate about 60-70 people. Only a small number choose to walk the Valcarlos route or stop there for the night. The rest mostly seem to manage the walk to Roncesvalles without major problems.

I didn't. It wasn't a problem for Roncevalles but the day after I had to walk to Larrasoana since every place in Zubiri was booked. It was April.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hello all!

I’m starting my first Camino in a couple weeks, and I am so so excited. I’m getting to SJPP in the afternoon on September 19th, and hoping to set out before sunrise on the 20th!

I’ve been reading recently that September is a very busy time to walk between SJPP and Pamplona. I’m trying really hard to not set many expectations or lay any hard and fast plans for my Camino, but I suppose I should still ask: do I definitely need to reserve beds ahead of time for the first stretch?

I’m 23, traveling solo, and while I do have some joint problems here and there, I’m also pretty confident in my ability to problem solve. Walking an extra few kilometers to find an open bed might suck at the end of a long day, but I want to balance that and safety with the freedom to live as much in the moment as I can. I’m not planning any of my stages beyond setting goal dates for a couple towns to keep me on track so I don’t miss my flight out.

By first stretch I’m assuming you mean SJPDP to Roncesvalles. It’s long and it can be tough. Personally, I would ensure I had accommodation there. Who wants to start day one wondering whether they will get a bed. Book ahead and just enjoy the peace and tranquility and freedom in a calm, carefree state. After that, do what you want. Although my Wife and I always had Albergues booked up for two days ahead of us. That way, we could stop and smell the roses, walk off track and explore, or simply have an amble along on a particular day. There were those who would leave at stupid o’clock in the morning to ensure getting ahead of everybody else or, march along at a pace and miss all of the marvels of everything on the way. But it’s your Camino. You do it your way. Buen Camino.

Lots of people go straight to Roncesvalles. You’ll be fine. I will say that Orisson is a nice first night because they do a lovely communal dinner.
I'm leaving SJPdP on 24th and recall Orisson appeared fully booked up until that date when I went on website to book for me. Borda was coming up with you needed to phone to check and it wasn't possible to book online (at least on the 24th).

I've seen posts from 3 people this week saying they arrived in Roncesvalles and it was completely booked. No beds in Zubiri either so they had to go to Pamplona. Personally, I'd book SJPP, Roncesvalles, and Zubiri. Zubiri is a small village with limited lodging options. But if you're willing to be flexible and don't mind it if you have to taxi to Pamplona, then :🤷: go for it. :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Zubiri/Larasuana was the only place in September 2016 that was full for us.
Taxi to Pamplona and taxi back to resume solved it but I would book there.

I'm guessing that towards the end of September things will be a little quieter? I've only booked Orisson and wasn't planning on pre-booking after that?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello all!

I booked a reservation at Albergue de peregrinos (Municipal) in Roncesvalles BEFORE I left for my camino. This is the first night out and the Monastery there was chock full of pilgrims. There was a 1.5 hr. line when I got there and folks without a reservation were denied so... great dinner, wine and breakfast in Roncesvalles. After that I never had a reservation along the entire camino. :) Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back