• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is it possible rooms are sold out for 2024!?

ctwillie

Time of past OR future Camino
I’ll be doing my first Camino next May and was looking at accommodations. I can’t find anything… for next May … in Calda de Reis.

I’m not terribly bright, but is it possible rooms are already sold out around SdC over 7 months in advance?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Robo:

Yeah, I was trying Booking. Thanks for talking me off the ledge. Being new to all this, I am working from a knowledge deficit.

We all started with a knowledge deficit :)

It's a very common 'shock' to see everything booked out.

Others may chime in with better knowledge, but I think you'll find, rooms get released about 6-8 weeks ahead for smaller places. They want to sell the beds/rooms direct rather than than through Booking, where they have to pay a commission. So rooms tend to go onto Booking when they 'need' to sell them.

The big Hotels release them much further ahead I think.

Many of course are not even on Booking or other sites like it.

So a good resource to book directly with accommodation providers is Gronze.com
It's easy to use, just select the camino, the stage, the town and you'll find lots listed.

You'll have options to book such as email, phone, website and so on.

I book most of my accomodation using that once I'm underway and also use it for planning purposes to note where I might want to stay once I start.

Most here will probably suggest you only book the first few days (depending on route, start point and season) and then book a day or two ahead after that. If at all.

Booking Santiago can be a challenge, particularly on a longer Camino, as you may not know what day you'll arrive :)

Last edited:
It’ll be fine! Plus, it’s freeing not to be locked in by having a booking that you have to get to…. Maybe just book your first night, if you need to? See what you think…. Everybody is different, but not booking us a great way ti keep your options open, depending on how you feel on the day. There’s plenty of time to think on it!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It's a common mistake.

Many of us are used to book up to a year ahead when planning a normal vacation. You book as soon as you know when you'll have your vacation time / time off work, which is often many months before you actually travel.

The thing is, a camino doesn't exactly work like that. It's not like booking an all inclusive room in a vacation resort somewhere, which is often possible long before.

The small hotels, casa rural, albergues with private rooms ect. that allow booking along the Camino are often family run or have maybe 1-2 people working there. Often they can't manage reservations that long before. Many accommodations are not even listed on booking com (you need to call, WhatsApp or write an e-mail for reservations) and many more can't be reserved in advance at all - you have to get there and ask for a bed, which is a common thing for pilgrims to do.

Bigger hotels and hotel chains in the major cities might allow reservations long time before, but for smaller ones, it is normal to only offer the booking service closer to actual arrival.

Most pilgrims walking main routes like the Francés get by with only booking the first few nights and then booking Santiago while on the way, when they have better knowledge of when they'll actually arrive there. Many don't make any reservations at all and still don't need to sleep in the streets.

So, don't worry too much. Maybe try again to make your reservations beginning of next year, If making reservations is important to you.

Happy planning and Buen Camino!

Agree with responses: don't lock yourself into accommodation options on booking.com alone. Widen your lens. Use Gronze, Wise Pilgrim App or the Buen Camino app. What I've also found helpful is google maps. Just type in the town and see what albergues pop up.

Editing to add: or a good old-fashioned camino classic guidebook like Brierley's. Doesn't always have to be app-based.

Last edited:
Agree with responses: don't lock yourself into accommodation options on booking.com alone. Widen your lens. Use Gronze, Wise Pilgrim App or the Buen Camino app. What I've also found helpful is google maps. Just type in the town and see what albergues pop up.
And, if possible, contact places directly.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I’ll be doing my first Camino next May and was looking at accommodations. I can’t find anything… for next May … in Calda de Reis.

I’m not terribly bright, but is it possible rooms are already sold out around SdC over 7 months in advance?
Also remember that booking.com and similar sites don't get access to all rooms in a hotel. I have seen a place "full" on booking.com but when I called them they had plenty of vacancies.
Regardless: don't panic - wait for 2-3 months before going and then search for accommodations.

NO, it is NOT possible. Maybe try calling them using the telephone. Moreover, calling in September to reserve a room for May 2024 may not be perceived as serious but DO call.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Another good tip from this Forum, on Wise Pilgrim app there’s a link in Albergue listing to call via What’s App. I’m on Francis route now and found this feature very useful to message or call ahead for a bed request.

Many times, like the airlines, lodging places do not allow reservations to be made as far out as a year ahead thru sites like Hotels.com or Booking.com. Other places do. As others have stated above, it can make a difference if you contact the lodging directly.

I think many places feel that reservations made too far in advance have a greater likelihood of cancellations or changes and want to limit that bit of hassle as much as possible.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

I travel a lot and have found a strategy that works well for me. Didn’t use it on the Camino that I am starting my first Camino next week. instead, I used a Camino planning company to make my reservations and that worked very far out because they apparently have special relationships with the hotels, inns, hostels, etc. a good strategy, if you don’t want to use a travel company this is what I often use. Use Bookings or similar to investigate the properties. Once you find one you want to book call them directly using the number from their website. They almost always allow you to book regardless of how far in the future. You can also often get the best price by booking directly with the lodgings but always ask “is this the best price for that accommodation?”. One caveat is, this does not always work with basic accommodations like auberge or hostels.

One caveat is, this does not always work with basic accommodations like auberge or hostels.

And a very good caveat at that, because those basic accommodations and albergues are most likely volunteer-run or small businesses. I would not want to ask someone charging a mere 10-15 euros a night for a bed, hot shower and meal, if that is their best price.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
And a very good caveat at that, because those basic accommodations and albergues are most likely volunteer-run or small businesses. I would not want to ask someone charging a mere 10-15 euros a night for a bed, hot shower and meal, if that is their best price.
The caveat was obviously meant for timing not price negotiation. sorry If you interpreted differently

See if you can contact them directly. They will let you know when the bookings open. I found with booking the Podiensis for May that some places let me book as early as September but others would be revising their prices at the start of the year and wouldn't open their books until then. I found that Booking.com was really frustrating for booking well ahead but once you were able to book, they were very good to use, but even so, if I can contact the accommodation directly, I will. I do this for all bookings, not just on Caminos.

And, if possible, contact places directly.
Also, note that some places do not accept reservations. Where I was hospitalero did not, to correct the problem of having to turn away pilgrims when the reserving person never arrived. Recently, we tried accepting reservations for some of the beds, but telling them “Reservation will be cancelled if you don’t arrive before 16:00."

Last edited:

No, it’s just too early for Booking . Com. You might want to reach out directly to the hotel.

What dates? I can see rooms available for dates in May. Some properties make rooms available from almost a year out.

If you are using booking. , good because I love them. But since walking the CF these last 3 weeks, I am amazed to find that dozens of albergues do not list on booking! Just no interest in doing so.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If you are using booking. , good because I love them. But since walking the CF these last 3 weeks, I am amazed to find that dozens of albergues do not list on booking! Just no interest in doing so.
That’s fine. Each outlet can chose their own distribution strategy. If they can generates enough sales without engaging a third party seller, that’s a good position to be in. It should improve their margin. I am sure they review it regularly!

The Camino can be quite ‘old school’, folks who like using cash and phoning folks, so it’s probably a good strategy to have for many. They can also ‘use’ a third party site if bookings dry up.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.