• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is it possible to order from Decathlon for delivery to an albergue?

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino primitivo April 24
Has anyone ordered from Decathlon and had their order shipped to an albergue? I’m from the US, if that matters. I’m planning to walk from the Porto airport area and I’ll need to buy walking sticks since I can’t bring them in carry-on. Or is there a place nearby where I can buy sticks? I’m arriving in the evening and leaving the next morning so no time (or desire, this time) to go into Porto. I’ll be staying at the Airporto Hostel the first night. It seems like I’ve looked at this as an option before and there was something prohibiting me from doing it, but I can't remember what it was. Any ideas?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There is a Decathlon at Matosinhos which is about 3 miles away from the hostal. Would be 10 minutes by taxi. Address is:

Av. Arqº Fernando Távora
n.º 1343
4450-820 Matosinhos

Google and Decathlon say you are looking for "Bastão de Caminhada"

I wouldn't go to the one in Porto which is in a shopping centre as it will take you almost an hour to get there.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Does your airfare include a checked bag? If so, you could check just your poles in. Put them in a box, tube, or cheap duffel bag that you can give away. That would be much easier.
I’m flying on Tap Air from Geneva after a couple of weeks of travel with family. Looks like a checked bag will be around $44, so while it might be easier, it will cost more than I'd like to spend, if there's an alternative. If I was traveling from home and already had my poles already purchased, that might be a good option. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
There is a Decathlon at Matosinhos which is about 3 miles away from the hostal. Would be 10 minutes by taxi. Address is:

Av. Arqº Fernando Távora
n.º 1343
4450-820 Matosinhos

Google and Decathlon say you are looking for "Bastão de Caminhada"

I wouldn't go to the one in Porto which is in a shopping centre as it will take you almost an hour to get there.
This might work, but I'm getting in late and leaving early, so I'm thinking if I can get them delivered I'll be all set. Thanks, though. This could be the way I have to go, if I can't have them delivered.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Obviously, you would have to ask the albergue if they will accept the package.
Yes, I sent a message to the albergue several days ago and haven't heard from them yet. I have time, but I'd like to solve this before I leave for Europe. Just wondering if anyone else had done it successfully.

I've used Decathlon a few times but tend to use their locker/retailer delivery instead of home delivery as it's slightly cheaper. I've placed a dummy order for poles at www.decathlon.pt to see what the shipping options are and there are quite a few lockers/retailers local to the Hostal.

I've put up a screen shot of the order so you can get the idea. There is a delivery cost of €2.95 to a locker/retailer. The earliest I've seen a retailer open is 08:30 which might be too late for you but there may be 24/7 lockers on the route - but I don't know if you are using the coastal or central.

I've you don't speak Portuguese, then use Google and right-click to translate as I did. Oddly and worryingly, Decathlon.pt know my passport number (NIF) and can't remember giving it to them. Must have done in the past but surprised it hasn't been deleted by now.

Seems a very good idea to use the locker idea suggested by @Damien Reynolds at #5 above. You can order before you leave, and it should be there when you arrive. You could also collect it on the way to your hostal.

Also note the earliest delivery is in a week's time (10th) so even if they could deliver to the Albergue (or a locker), it will take some time.

Decathlon.pt.jpg

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've used Decathlon a few times but tend to use their locker/retailer delivery instead of home delivery as it's slightly cheaper. I've placed a dummy order for poles at www.decathlon.pt to see what the shipping options are and there are quite a few lockers/retailers local to the Hostal.

Keep it simple. Less margin for screw ups.
No one there to take delivery, they popped out for a minute, where did we put it........and 101 other things.
Makes sense to me :)

I had stuff delivered from Amazon.es to my Hotel In Seville this year.
(local charger for phone)
But I checked with the Hotel first.
They had 24 hour reception etc etc.
And if anything went wrong, I had time to go to a local store.

Oddly and worryingly, Decathlon.pt know my passport number (NIF) and can't remember giving it to them.
NIF is Número de Identificação Fiscal, meaning tax number, not ID/passport

If you want your data/account deleted, you can request it here:

Edit:
If you don't to click directly on that link, you can follow the steps on their website:

1. https://www.decathlon.pt/politica-de-privacidade-cookies_lp-8G861L

2. Scroll down to FAQ

3. "COMO EXERCER OS MEUS DIREITOS" ("HOW TO EXERCISE MY RIGHTS")

4. Click on "Formulário RGPD"

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

I've put up a screen shot of the order so you can get the idea. There is a delivery cost of €2.95 to a locker/retailer. The earliest I've seen a retailer open is 08:30 which might be too late for you but there may be 24/7 lockers on the route - but I don't know if you are using the coastal or central.

I've you don't speak Portuguese, then use Google and right-click to translate as I did. Oddly and worryingly, Decathlon.pt know my passport number (NIF) and can't remember giving it to them. Must have done in the past but surprised it hasn't been deleted by now.

Seems a very good idea to use the locker idea suggested by @Damien Reynolds at #5 above. You can order before you leave, and it should be there when you arrive. You could also collect it on the way to your hostal.

Also note the earliest delivery is in a week's time (10th) so even if they could deliver to the Albergue (or a locker), it will take some time.

View attachment 157499
Wow! Thanks so much! Very helpful!

Thanks for all your suggestions. I contacted an albergue down the road, at my first stop past the airport, in Vilarinho at Albergue Casa Laura and she responded right away that it would be fine to send a package to her from either Amazon or Decathlon. So that's the plan for now. I love this forum! Thanks for all the quick and thorough responses.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks for all your suggestions. I contacted an albergue down the road, at my first stop past the airport, in Vilarinho at Albergue Casa Laura and she responded right away that it would be fine to send a package to her from either Amazon or Decathlon. So that's the plan for now. I love this forum! Thanks for all the quick and thorough responses.
I had walking poles delivered to my Hostel in Bayonne this year, all worked out perfectly 👍 also stayed in casa Laura last year, fantastic wee place with lovely, generous hosts! Bom Camino

I'm back for some more advice. I first tried Amazon but with delivery fee and taxes, it wasn't worth it. Then I tried Decathlon Portugal and I'm almost there, with free delivery to my albergue, but the website won't accept my payment. I've tried two different credit cards, multiple times, but no luck. What am I doing wrong? Thoughts?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I've tried two different credit cards, multiple times, but no luck. What am I doing wrong? Thoughts?
Perhaps AMEX is not accepted on the site, but Visa or Mastercard should be. However European sales sites often require double authentication... do you know how to perform it with your bank application ?

The payments page when translated says

"We accept VISA and MASTERCARD payments with cards from all countries, except cards originating in the United States of America.

Do you have a friend not in the US?
Wow. I did not catch that! I do have friends who are not in the US but I'd hate to bother them with this. Maybe I should find a different solution. Thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You have to go to this page. If you go there using google, and right click there is the option to translate the page to English to give you some different solutions.

There are more payment options for Decathlon Portugal than I have seen elsewhere e.g paying at an ATM or paying by phone as well as the usual. Unfortunately can't advise if these options will work cross borders.

Thanks, Corned Beef, You've been so generous with your help. I really appreciate it. I went back to Amazon, and picked a different set of poles and, strangely, the shipping was free. Don't know what I did wrong the first time (I'm only half-way tech-savvy) but I finally got a nice pair of poles on their way to Casa Laura. I threw in a small Opinel knife while I was at it, 'cause I always need a good little knife on the camino! Feeling relieved.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.