• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Vodafone - Setting for crossing from Portugal to Spain

702Jenn

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2023
I searched but wasn't able to find an answer. This past summer I bought a 2 week Vodafone card at OPO for 20€. It worked great in Portugal but stopped working when I crossed into Spain. Does the OPO Vodafone store sell a SIM that works in both Portugal and Spain?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I searched but wasn't able to find an answer. This past summer I bought a 2 week Vodafone card at OPO for 20€. It worked great in Portugal but stopped working when I crossed into Spain. Does the OPO Vodafone store sell a SIM that works in both Portugal and Spain?
Did you turn on roaming on the first card you got (in your phone settings)? It should work in Spain as well...

Did you turn on roaming on the first card you got (in your phone settings)? It should work in Spain as well...
Maybe that was the problem? I ended up buying another Vodafone card in Spain which worked fine.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
A few years back I was using a Portuguese SIM which stopped working after Tui until I remembered to change my phone settings. Sometimes we forget that there are national borders because we no longer have to pass through physical checkpoints... :)

A few years back I was using a Portuguese SIM which stopped working after Tui until I remembered to change my phone settings. Sometimes we forget that there are national borders because we no longer have to pass through physical checkpoints... :)
Good to know. Thank you!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Make sure you are buying a sim card that can make calls/texts

If it is just a data sim card (no calls/text) then it won't work in Spain.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I knew nothing about the roaming after buying a sim in Lisbon then had to buy another in Spain.

Your provider should send you a text message when you arrive in a different EU country outlining the procedure. For example, here is the English half of the message I receive from MEO when I arrive in another EU country. Admittedly, it could be more specific in telling you to turn roaming on.

IMG_6751.jpeg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I had a similar issue when using a Vodafone sim from Spain. When I went into France the voice functions still worked but I lost data/internet. I tried to resolve the issue both at a Vodafone store and on line but the issue was never resolved. Next time I am going to Europe I will keep using AT&T.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Your provider should send you a text message when you arrive in a different EU country outlining the procedure. For example, here is the English half of the message I receive from MEO when I arrive in another EU country. Admittedly, it could be more specific in telling you to turn

I had a similar issue when using a Vodafone sim from Spain. When I went into France the voice functions still worked but I lost data/internet. I tried to resolve the issue both at a Vodafone store and on line but the issue was never resolved. Next time I am going to Europe I will keep using AT&T.
You'd think that the Spain Vodafone store would have helped me with the problem, but better for them to make a sale, I reckon.

The EU works as one zone or a defacto single country - EXCEPT when it doesn't. Postal systems and cellphone systems are just two major examples of the irony. The traveler needs to do their research and be aware of these disconnects.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Last edited:
The EU works as one zone or a defacto single country - EXCEPT when it doesn't. Postal systems and cellphone systems are just two major examples of the irony. The travelert needs to do their research and be aware of these disconnects.

Hope this helps.

Tom

The EU de facto does not work as one single country. Therein lies the difference. There is no irony.

The European Union (EU) is a supranational political and economic union of 27 member states.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I had a simialr problem in 2018 - had been told hat it was an EU requirement that SIMS cards work in all EU countries ... Went to to a phone shop not long after we entered Spain (maybe Vigo?), and was told the "it happens frequently". Bought another SIM card and all went well from there - even worked in Potugal when we retuned to Lisbon.

Most likely a case of "crap happens...".

I had a simialr problem in 2018 - had been told hat it was an EU requirement that SIMS cards work in all EU countries ... Went to to a phone shop not long after we entered Spain (maybe Vigo?), and was told the "it happens frequently". Bought another SIM card and all went well from there - even worked in Potugal when we retuned to Lisbon.

Most likely a case of "crap happens...".
So, that's pretty much the same thing that happened to me. Vigo was the city where I got the new SIM, and the clerk there said something similar to me. Interesting. It was only another 15 or 20 Euro, so not a huge deal.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You can buy a Euro sim I used this had no problems crossing from Spain into Portugal 🇵🇹👍

With roaming on, the data on my Portuguese Vodaphone sim still stopped working when I crossed the bridge into Spain (I didn't test the phone function). Now I use an international data-only sim from a company called Keepgo. There is no monthly fee: you pay only for the data, and the data never expires as long as you add a minimum US$3 data top-up once a year. For phoning/messaging, I use a phone app that gives me a free phone number, free calls in/between Canada and the US (I live in Canada), and cheap calls (e.g., 1-3 cents/minute) in Europe and most other countries. It works beautifully and seamlessly from one country to another.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.