• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice on specific Decathlon rain jackets?

Prentiss Riddle

Aprendiz de todo, maestro de nada
Time of past OR future Camino
Português and/or Francés in 2023
Does anyone here have anything good or bad to report about specific rain jackets / windbreakers available at Decathlon?

I'm wondering how their better ones stand up next to the name brands.

In particular, the Quechua MH500 and MH900 rain jackets caught my eye because Decathlon's own comparison chart rated them highly on both waterproofness and breathability. Of course one should be skeptical about that claim from any manufacturer.

Does anyone have personal experience to share?

(I live in Portugal where the name brands are hard to come by. Decathlon is almost the only game in town for outdoor gear.)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I used the FH900 on a May/June CF and i especially liked the light weight and breathability. For the occasional rain it did fine. In long lasting rain it is not enough. I took my chances and it worked, but have been aware that i might have to buy a poncho or something if there would be serious rainfall for multiple days. For my next CF i switched to the (discontinued) Berghaus Hyper 100, which is even lighter, "more" waterproof and a tad less breathable.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Depends how long you want it for. I had one and it was fine until the adhesive tape along the seams started to come off.
Thanks. Which one did you have? And how good was it for rain and breathability?

I stupidly left my nice lightweight and very breathable Rab jacket in a bar in Burgos. It was a couple of days before I realised. When I reached Leon I visited Decathlon and bought an MH500 jacket. It was certainly waterproof but I did not think much of the breathability.. I am a harsh judge because I am used to very breathable jackets. It does have large pit zips which is nice and it's a comfortable jacket with a decent hood too. I'd say it's good value for money.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have the red and blue "Tribord" sailing jacket from Decatlón. Great features, well built, pockets zippers, great hood.
Advertised as "breathable". It is not. It's like wearing a shower curtain. Waterproof? YES.

Yeah -- Decathlon 100% cotton t-shirts are great, but most of their other stuff is cheap tat and completely unreliable.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I went with the poncho from Decathlon that fit over my backpack. It has full sleeves and a 1/4 zip and was easy to put on without assistance. It get's bonus points for being extremely inexpensive. It rained every day in late October on the Ingles and my pack and I were always dry.

I've had good luck with their hiking trousers and long sleeve merino shirts as well.

Yeah -- Decathlon 100% cotton t-shirts are great, but most of their other stuff is cheap tat and completely unreliable.
Totally disagree with that, I've had jackets, cycling gear, three rucksacks, some really excellent trail shoes, fabric boots etc, and never been disappointed.. some of the designs can be a bit odd aesthetically, but generally work fine imo. I've also had/got gear by Berghaus, karrimor ( the proper early stuff), Scarpa, Meindl etc. there's no doubt that the more expensive brands offer some nice stuff, which is a pleasure to own, but at the end of the day, it's you that does the walking, not your fancy branded jacket. If it hoys it down, your likely to get wet to some degree. In winter on a trek through the Cairngorms, this could be a real issue...on the Camino.... Probably not. On all my caminos, I ended up leaving my technical stuff at home, and never missed it one jot!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Mine were completely wrecked after 36 hours, and I needed an emergency replacement pair of jeans.
Good gravy! I'm wearing mine now! They've been machine washed and dried once a week since I got them last spring! I'm very sorry yours fell apart.

Thanks. Which one did you have? And how good was it for rain and breathability?
I have used the very cheap Decathalon pull over the head style rain jacket that sells for around 6£! Rain and wind proof. Cycled and walked with it and found it very waterproof. Passed it on to grandkids as I became more affluent! Good in the daypack as fold into itself. Very lightweight. In very heavy rain put a £1 poncho over it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have used the very cheap Decathalon pull over the head style rain jacket that sells for around 6£! Rain and wind proof. Cycled and walked with it and found it very waterproof. Passed it on to grandkids as I became more affluent! Good in the daypack as fold into itself. Very lightweight. In very heavy rain put a £1 poncho over it.
So did I !
...mine is bright orange, which I appreciated when walking along road stretches on dark chilly mornings.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.