• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is This a Reasonable Packing List (Spreadsheet / Panicking)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Looks very good!! Very similar to my pack contents. I did have my ID's and credit/ATM cards scanned and then emailed to me rather then carry paper copy's of them.

Looks like you are ready to go.

Buen Camino.

Ed

Looks great Hugh! Obviously it is well thought out and one can easily tell a lot of time and effort went into getting it right. I have to admit it was a great counter-checklist for me to confirm my own listing. I leave Los Angeles for Spain this upcoming Saturday and will be off to Ponferrada come May 10 for a 10 day walk to Santiago. When do you start your Camino?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I put this together for myself, but also to help future Peregrinos.

I leave SJPP May 7th, but I leave for Barcelona the day after tomorrow, and I'm freaking out for some reason, even though I think my pack is fine.

Hugh, I didn't see a rain poncho or coat. Perhaps you're thinking about getting one when you get there. Just thought I would mention it, if you had overlooked it.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm going to tell you what everybody is telling me - you're going to be fine. At this point you don't have a choice to be anything but, right? lol. For what it's worth, I feel your pain. I myself started stressing out a couple of days ago as reality set in. That's what lead me here and then onto your post.

Looks pretty darned good!
Things I would leave home (but that's me :) :

Vapur bottles - what are those anyway? You need two?

Sit pad - ??

Monocular - for??

Can opener - cans on the Camino are generally pop-tops - tuna, etc.

Keychain - ??

Cards - oh, you'll be soooooooo tired!

Hair gel - wear a hat

1 socks

1 underwear

1 quick dry shirt

pajamas – wear underwear

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Hi Hugh. It looks fine. Don't panic. The planning is fun, not actually obligatory. No one gets it completely right, even the old handers - I'm always making adjustments as I go along. The weather makes fools of us all - but we all cope, and, wonderfully, learn flexibility. You'll be OK.

If you want to lose a kilo, these are some of the things you might want to leave at home/an albergue for others to enjoy/send on from a post office along the way.

1. The vapour bottles. You really don't need a specific water container for walking in the evenings.

2. Pole bag. You can't just put the poles inside your bag?

3. Can opener. Never found the need for one. Most kitchens have them. If not, someone else will!

4. Sharpie. You have a pen. Who needs both?

5. You seem to have two money belts. Presume this is an error.

6. Keys. Can you find someone to leave them with?

7. Cards. You've got a book. Many albergues have packs.

8. The Sun Also Rises. You have an iPhone. Consider putting the Kindle App on it and downloading the ebook instead. Plus a few others. Including "The Road to Santiago - the Complete Cultural Handbook" by Gitlitz and Davidson. Invaluable! It will tell you exactly what you are passing each day.

9. Instead of toilet paper use the pocket packs of tissues. They fit in your pocket so are more accessible, are less obvious, are replaceable and available in every little store along the way. Dual purpose stuff is great.

10. Hair gel. I'm not even going to comment!

11. Shouldn't be necessary to have two different types of soap. One bar for hair, body, clothes.

12. "Nice shirt" plus 3 quick dry shirts, plus a jacket, plus a fleece? I'd lose something. Probably the nice shirt.

13. Don't think you need a bandana plus a buff. That's me.

14. Baby powder.

15. Plastic bags. A couple of zip locks yes. Hate plastic bags, they rattle and disturb others early in the morning.

Questions - do you have a poncho or a pack cover or an umbrella? Or am I missing something? I am trying to read your list on an iPhone.

Finally, even if you stepped off the train at SJPDP with nothing, you'd be fine. Pamplona has everything. Including a post office to send the excess to Ivar.

Buen Camino!

Hi Hugh. It looks fine. Don't panic. The planning is fun, not actually obligatory. No one gets it completely right, even the old handers - I'm always making adjustments as I go along. The weather makes fools of us all - but we all cope, and, wonderfully, learn flexibility. You'll be OK.

If you want to lose a kilo, these are some of the things you might want to leave at home/an albergue for others to enjoy/send on from a post office along the way.

1. The vapour bottles. You really don't need a specific water container for walking in the evenings.

2. Pole bag. You can't just put the poles inside your bag?

3. Can opener. Never found the need for one. Most kitchens have them. If not, someone else will!

4. Sharpie. You have a pen. Who needs both?

5. You seem to have two money belts. Presume this is an error.

6. Keys. Can you find someone to leave them with?

7. Cards. You've got a book. Many albergues have packs.

8. The Sun Also Rises. You have an iPhone. Consider putting the Kindle App on it and downloading the ebook instead. Plus a few others. Including "The Road to Santiago - the Complete Cultural Handbook" by Gitlitz and Davidson. Invaluable! It will tell you exactly what you are passing each day.

9. Instead of toilet paper use the pocket packs of tissues. They fit in your pocket so are more accessible, are less obvious, are replaceable and available in every little store along the way. Dual purpose stuff is great.

10. Hair gel. I'm not even going to comment!

11. Shouldn't be necessary to have two different types of soap. One bar for hair, body, clothes.

12. "Nice shirt" plus 3 quick dry shirts, plus a jacket, plus a fleece? I'd lose something. Probably the nice shirt.

13. Don't think you need a bandana plus a buff. That's me.

14. Baby powder.

15. Plastic bags. A couple of zip locks yes. Hate plastic bags, they rattle and disturb others early in the morning.

Questions - do you have a poncho or a pack cover or an umbrella? Or am I missing something? I am trying to read your list on an iPhone.

Finally, even if you stepped off the train at SJPDP with nothing, you'd be fine. Pamplona has everything. Including a post office to send the excess to Ivar.

Buen Camino!
Nailed it Kanga.
One shirt on one in the bag, same with T-shirts and underpants, launder when you stop for the day. No need for a sharpie, I have only ever seen them used for grafiti along the way. No need for a sitting mat or sleeping mat, have seen umpteen ones of these left at albergues or discarded along the way, same with inflatible pillow. For deoderant I bring a small bottle of orange oil which is naturaly antiseptic, one or two drops of this in your hand with a few drops of water and apply underarm will do the trick and it will not poison your body with chemicals, a travel bottle of aftershave to smell nice. Two pairs of sock liners and three pairs of outer socks. This would be only my opinion.
Buen Camino. Go safely.

I put this together for myself, but also to help future Peregrinos.

I leave SJPP May 7th, but I leave for Barcelona the day after tomorrow, and I'm freaking out for some reason, even though I think my pack is fine.

Buen camino Hugh! Last minute nerves are all part and parcel of this wonderful trip. Once you get on the road, it will all dissipate. You have some good advice here about your pack contents and besides, the camino itself always refines what we carry. You'll ditch anything unnecessary as you go. So don't worry, be happy and have the time of your life!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hugh - re: knife
Recommend Victorinox Waiter pocket knife - it has those essential bits of kit viz: a corkscrew plus a crown-top bottle opener and a knife for chopping up chorizo/salchicha, cheese etc.
Obviously you can only carry one of those on an airline if it goes in the 'plane's hold but you can easily buy the same or equivalent over here in Europe.

Buen Camino! Pack a bundle of JOY. For you will become free........

Hugh,

I am flying from the states also and I don't think you can take Pole's or a knife as carry on. I am hoping to get both in SJPP. I went to Europe a few years ago around Christmas and did not see my bags for a week so I am doing carry on. List looks pretty good to me. I am leaving NYC Memorial Day flying to Ireland for a few days and then flying to France and taking the train into SJPP. Did not see your schedule but I am still looking for people to share a taxi from Bayonne.

Susan

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am on my 3rd day of the Camino. While trekking over the Pyrenees, it was very cold. We still found snow on the ground in many areas. It rained for two days. Fog was very thick in some parts. No one wore gloves. You will not need pj's, ear band, water bladder, can opener, or a nice shirt. Most people sleep in the clean they will be wearing the next day or in a t-shirt and underpants. Rain ponchos were everywhere and so were rain pants and jackets. Pack cover is a must. Water bladders were discarded at every available garbage bin. Most turned to carrying half liter water bottles. Almost everyone wears a Buff. No need for ear band. The Buff will cover your neck and ears. A fleece jacket is a must! Shoes for walking around after you get to the albergue are a good idea. Shower shoes are a must! If you can find a dual purpose shoe even better. One money belt is plenty. Sit pad, monocular, spork, pole bag are not necessary. Since you are bringing plastic bags, you will not need a laundry bag. Not sure why the concern for bedbugs. It's much too early in the season. If you want to spray your bag before packing the that is probably all you really need. You will not need to bring the permethrin. If you plan to wear a money belt then you will not need a wallet. Just keep money, ID, and passport in separate zip loc bags inside money belt. Not sure why you need the sharpie? Have not found a need for one. That's all that I can think of. Take care and don't stress! If you have any questions please feel free to PM me :)

Great feedback, everybody. I'm dropping the sit pad and the monocular, as well as the notebook (I'll take notes on my iPhone), and the book to read. (even though I got all those things just for this trip)

Also, I'm not taking the CamelBak hydration bladder, the two half liter Vapur (really light) bottles will do.

The Permethrin was a treatment to spray on my sleep sack, I'm not actually taking the bottle, so no weight.

My jacket is a rain jacket, and my back includes a rain cover, and on a training walk in the rain I discovered my hat works quite well. Pants get soaked, but hey, they are quick dry.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
AHHHaa! I don't have any electronics but understand waste of time having a torch if you have a phone with light

I recommend a small red LED keychain light rather than a torch or headlamp. The red light won't destroy night vision and is less likely to wake sleepers, especially because it is small.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The P38 can opener will fit inside a book of matches with room to spare and weighs even less than the book of matches, It's so small you could use it for a zipper pull. Hey, that's a good idea.

Most read last week in this forum

**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
I had bought the long Camino banner-style map in Santiago and finally got around to having it framed. The framers managed to tear my map and I'm in need of a replacement. Does anyone know where...
Hi Guys This is just for info really; but if mods want to they can delete! For this May's Camino i have gone back to my Talon 33 (so much less stuff this time; in fact everything is in the top...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.