• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

"Itchy" backpack straps

Time of past OR future Camino
Recent:Norte/Muxia- Spring '23
MadridWay- Fall '23
Is it just me🤷 or do any others of you "suffer" with having to tolerate itchy backpack straps as they come down around your chest area before going under the armpit? I have an Osprey Sirrus trampoline back, women's specific 36L. I really like this pack which I have owned for several years, but I always get an itchy area that is very annoying in the front from the straps and it lasts about a full week before I get used to its uncomfortable, itchy feeling. I am not a person who perspires much, but sometimes wonder if it is related to salty sweat near my bra straps (and I am rather well-endowed). This thread/post is probably mostly related to ladies, but maybe a few men struggle too.
I prefer not to ditch this Osprey pack and it's a bit late now anyway, as I leave for the Camino de Madrid in less than two weeks.
Any ideas on how to help eliminate this problem are appreciated. Thanks.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Is it just me🤷 or do any others of you "suffer" with having to tolerate itchy backpack straps as they come down around your chest area before going under the armpit? I have an Osprey Sirrus trampoline back, women's specific 36L. I really like this pack which I have owned for several years, but I always get an itchy area that is very annoying in the front from the straps and it lasts about a full week before I get used to its uncomfortable, itchy feeling. I am not a person who perspires much, but sometimes wonder if it is related to salty sweat near my bra straps (and I am rather well-endowed). This thread/post is probably mostly related to ladies, but maybe a few men struggle too.
I prefer not to ditch this Osprey pack and it's a bit late now anyway, as I leave for the Camino de Madrid in less than two weeks.
Have you ever tried using a body glide stick to see if that will help?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks, all. I have always used a variety of synthetic tops of various brands. I will try wearing cotton t-shirts on a few of my training walks in the next few days. I had thought of putting that K-tape stuff on my skin or a piece of cut "fur" attached under my bra straps to see if that might help.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have a beloved Osprey too, and have a similar experience. For me the upper side of the left strap (against the collarbone) can itch like crazy, but it's not consistent or all the time.

Itching comes from a mild stimulus from pain sensory cells, so something is rubbing the wrong way. A mysyery. Bit what I do know is that my posture has a lot to do with it - it's worst if I'm tired and start leaning into the straps or get hunched over. So check and see if changing your posture helps.

I had thought of putting that K-tape stuff on my skin or a piece of cut "fur" attached under my bra straps to see if that might help.
It can't hurt to try! I see people with soft foam around the pack straps, too, and that might also help (a pity memory foam is so heavy, because that stuff is magic).

Edited to add: I wear cotton all the time, so at least for me that's nothing to do with it.

Last edited:
After each foot-pilgrimage I dis-assemble my backpack and all of it straps, wash everything in warm water containing a slight amount of laundry detergent, rinse repeatedly in fresh warm water, then hang dry.

I only use a slight amount of detergent because my equipment never gets oily or particularly dirt-soiled, but it does get sweat-soaked. Dried sweat is hydrophilic and it does not need large doses of detergents to remove.

Another reason to ration use of detergents when washing outdoors textiles is that detergent residues can attract dirt and also create an itchy sensation. Keep the chemistry simple.

I always have compression fabric next to my skin on Camino. No rubbing or itching with my Osprey pack. Buen Camino. 🚶‍♂️

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I did use KT tape for the most itchy parts of my bp-straps (LoweAlpine Camino trek 30:40).

I used it just for some short walking trips in spring before heading out to my CP this July. But if you make 30+ km per day just in T-Shirt you'll feel every little itch. Good that I brought KT with me. Didn't need it on myself, just for the pack ;)

Reading the posts above ... is this a design fault with the Osprey packs for women, females being a different shape to males at the front, or is it straps too tight?

Unless mountain climbing shoulder straps shouldn't really be tight to the chest ... the hip belt should take all the weight, the middle of the hip belt set at the top edge of the pelvic bone ... then, as there is no weight above, it is all on the hips, the shoulder/chest straps are only adjusted to bring the top of the pack closer to the shoulders - with my pack loaded and fitted this way I can get two fingers underneath the top of my shoulder straps.
Just a thought.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Chrissy - I agree with @VNwalking I have had this issue in the past on the collarbone area. And I don't think it's likely to be the fabric. These days I always have a soft scarf / shesh with me on caminos (ok, more than one - they are great for multi-purpose). Maybe you already take one? I would try threading this across your chest underneath the front of the pack to provide a light 'cushion' between the straps and your shirt. Socks could also do the job. Good not to have to take something 'extra' if you can help it. Best wishes - love the Madrid Way.

I wish you lived closer. I have two packs; I would have let you borrow one.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I highly doubt that it is the pack straps. They likely feel smooth to the touch so it is something between the straps and the skin, if is not the skin itself. Consider the material of the shirt, what detergent it was washed with. It sounds like a potential skin allergy. The pack is not the problem.

Now, if you are not wearing a shirt, the straps may need a good wash. So few wash them, ever.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks, all. I have always used a variety of synthetic tops of various brands. I will try wearing cotton t-shirts on a few of my training walks in the next few days. I had thought of putting that K-tape stuff on my skin or a piece of cut "fur" attached under my bra straps to see if that might help.
Cotton, as you know, is not recommended over long time or distance. Consider obtaining a couple of merino wool tops if you can. REI may carry thiem locally. Even a base layer t-shirt will provide added cushioning, friction reduction and help regulate temperature.

Lacking a shirt solution the body glide idea is a good one. If it is one small, defined area that is affected, consider a Band-Aid / Plaster to protect the sensitive spot(s).

Lastly, have you tried adjusting all of your shoulder straps so the pack weight rides differently - like maybe higher? Sometimes a slight change int he angle of your straps will make all the difference.

Finally, call Osprey Support. They are VERY accommodating. I cannoit recommend them highly enough.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Last edited:
More suggestions are coming in and I will be anxious to try them and report back later.
These things I do already know and do...
1. I always wash my backpack and the straps thoroughly when I return home.
2. In spite of the itchiness, I never see any rash developing on my skin. While on Camino I mainly hand wash my clothes using mild cheap shampoo such as Suave. I will add that the itchiness begins from the first day and seems to mostly subside after about a week...possibly my skin gets used to the discomfort?
3. I do always keep my straps tightened quite a bit because with the open trampoline back it feels like I need to try to bring the pack closer to my body or it doesn't feel right.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Make sure the wait belt is adjusted and fasten correctly. Most of the pack weight should be carried on your hips and not the shoulder straps.

-Paul

"Cotton, as you know, is not recommended over long time or distance."

@t2andreo - By whom? I swear by 100% cotton, for all climes, all distances, all times. Natural soft fibre.

@t2andreo - By whom? I swear by 100% cotton, for all climes, all distances, all times. Natural soft fibre.

Google "cotton kills" for more information.

-Paul

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi @Camino Chrissy

I similarly had these (those) types of problems with my Osprey backpack. A good friend suggested using lambs wool car seat strap covers. Since using them the problem seems to have disappeared.

Just finished 5 back to back Caminos (~1k km) without issue.

The covers need to be washed regularly as they absorb perspiration.

This may help?

Buen Camino

Hi @Camino Chrissy

I similarly had these (those) types of problems with my Osprey backpack. A good friend suggested using lambs wool car seat strap covers. Since using them the problem seems to have disappeared.

Just finished 5 back to back Caminos (~1k km) without issue.

The covers need to be washed regularly as they absorb perspiration.

This may help?

Buen Camino
I had ordered these similar car seat belt covers a year ago, but they never were wide enough to fit around my straps, so I never got them out again until today. I may try to modify them as an option.
Also, I checked the mesh backside of my pack straps and notice they are quite rough, so it could be extra abrasive and contribute to my problem. I will apply the KT tape I ordered as another option to try.
IMG_20230926_194244881.jpg

Good suggestion, except for those who are sensitive to wool, including merino.
That's me to a "T".

I had ordered these similar car seat belt covers a year ago, but they never were wide enough to fit around my straps, so I never got them out again until today. I may try to modify them as an option.
Also, I checked the mesh backside of my pack straps and notice they are quite rough, so it could be extra abrasive and contribute to my problem. I will apply the KT tape I ordered as another option to try.
View attachment 157149

That's me to a "T".

Similar to the ones I purchased. Had the same issue with the width. Have punched some shoe eyelets (3 points - 6 eyelets in total on each cover) into the velcro parts and laced them up. That has worked a treat for me.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Is it just me🤷 or do any others of you "suffer" with having to tolerate itchy backpack straps as they come down around your chest area before going under the armpit? I have an Osprey Sirrus trampoline back, women's specific 36L
I ended up buying some cheap cotton socks from a china shop and padding the strap with those. I just wound the socks around and stuck the end down with a safety pin. Not attractive, but did the trick.

Gold Bond

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have only used the original. We carry the travel size in our gear for all of our multi day hikes/walks.
Do you mean the powder?

Screenshot_20230928_122823_Firefox.jpg

They also have an anti-friction stick

Screenshot_20230928_122948_Firefox.jpg

The itchiness of packstraps bothered me greatly, so I cut the bottom out of two old (comfy, soft, absorbent) black kneesocks and pulled up over my packstraps. Works a charm. The black was very subtle; my husband didn't even notice them. Others might prefer to go bold. 😅

I then snipped holes to get to a few favorite clips/loops located under the socks.

Hello to all of you who have kindly offered up suggestions for dealing with my itchy back pack straps. I have tested nearly every one of them on my local trail in the last week or so, going about 2-3 miles each time, and they all seem to help to varying degrees, probably with 30-40% improvement. I think the remainder is either the shape of the straps themselves or my shape and rubbing combined with salty sweatiness. I plan to bring the powder for my skin and a pair of long socks to tuck under the straps as needed.
Thanks a bunch, everyone! 🤗

I thought I would give a final update on this thread since I returned home several days ago from my recent Camino.

I appreciated all the helpful suggestions given to me. First, I added KT tape to the inside of the straps; surprisingly it never loosened or came off. Next I used a pair of medium length black socks and wrapped them twice around the straps before knotting them in front. I think both of these things combined helped quite a bit. The socks seemed to lift the straps slightly, creating the tiniest gap of air along the back of the straps.
I didn't use the powder I'd brought, and didn't use body glide as I thought it might leave an oily stain on my clothes since I've never used it before, but it probably would help in summer. I did notice the first few days in the heat, that salty sweat, however minor, does contribute to my itching. When the weather turned colder and I wore an additional layer and my thin puff down jacket I had no itching at all.
Overall, I'd say I had about a 40-50% improvement and am quite happy with the outcome.🙂
P.S. I always wash my pack with soapy water when I return home, paying special attention to the straps in case sweat has clung, and hang it outdoors to dry.
IMG_20231029_055319534~2.jpg

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

My thoughts exactly, I struggle wearing the synthetic fabric tops and find merino wool "itchy". I'll be wearing cotton t-shirts in May 2024 on the French Route.

My thoughts exactly, I struggle wearing the synthetic fabric tops and find merino wool "itchy". I'll be wearing cotton t-shirts in May 2024 on the French Route.
Ok for summer, but they take longer to dry and seem to collect more stains than my wool stuff. I wear it summer and winter.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.