• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Jacket for Camino

DanielaVasiljeva

Time of past OR future Camino
Starting in few days~~
Hello.
I have searched some info about what to wear for Camino when you start in may. But mostly they talk about pants. I will start next week from Sarria.
I have zip off pants, that should do. But I am thinking about jacket??!! I bought Gelert softshell. And only now,2 days before departing I started to think,won't it be too hot? Cause I really don't want to overpack, and if I will not use it it will take a space.. Could I maybe wear some flannel shirt? Really confused.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Pick a combination of clothes that you would wear for a long walk on a "typical" day at home, assuming a sunny day with the temperature starting at 8C and going up to 25C. That will probably include:
  1. light base layer with short or no sleeves,
  2. light layer with long sleeves to protect from sun and give a small amount of insulation,
  3. light fleece or jacket in case it stays chilly.
That is 3 light layers, for typical walking when it is not raining. As the day warms up, you take off layers.Then consider what you need for rain - if your layer #3 is waterproof, you don't need a different one.

You should also have something warm and cosy (be sure to keep it dry) to wear in the evenings. In case of "emergency" (really unexpected cold weather) you could wear it in the day.

You mention a "flannel shirt." I'm not sure what you mean by this, but don't bring a cotton shirt unless you intend it to be to keep you cool on very hot days. Otherwise cotton is heavy, slow to dry, and not good insulation.

I would add a fleece or light weight down jacket under the softshell for the colder mornings and days.
A flannel shirt would probably be too heavy to carry and take too long to dry if it got wet.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I would add a fleece or light weight down jacket under the softshell for the colder mornings and days.
A flannel shirt would probably be too heavy to carry and take too long to dry if it got wet.
Do you think I should bring my softshell at all?
Pick a combination of clothes that you would wear for a long walk on a "typical" day at home, assuming a sunny day with the temperature starting at 8C and going up to 25C. That will probably include:
  2. light layer with long sleeves to protect from sun and give a small amount of insulation,
That is 3 light layers, for typical walking when it is not raining. As the day warms up, you take off layers.Then consider what you need for rain - if your layer #3 is waterproof, you don't need a different one.

You should also have something warm and cosy (be sure to keep it dry) to wear in the evenings. In case of "emergency" (really unexpected cold weather) you could wear it in the day.

You mention a "flannel shirt." I'm not sure what you mean by this, but don't bring a cotton shirt unless you intend it to be to keep you cool on very hot days. Otherwise cotton is heavy, slow to dry, and not good insulation.

That is quite big difference 8-25 degrees. I would have my softshell for 8 degrees and when it would reach 25 degrees I would take it off, but then to carry it for 20km with me? I am starting to think should I need it at all? Maybe facing some time in cold in the morning but keeping it light? Or better to take it? Just in case? Or I will try to visit store tomorrow and maybe I will find some alternative. Anyways, thanks!

That is quite big difference 8-25 degrees. I would have my softshell for 8 degrees and when it would reach 25 degrees I would take it off, but then to carry it for 20km with me?
Yes, that is a big range, which is why you need several thin layers rather than one thick one that is either on or off.

As far as I can tell, a "softshell" jacket is a multi-purpose jacket that is not fully waterproof. Maybe it will serve you well, but it is not the layering strategy that many of us use. How much does it weigh? What would you wear to walk in 16C?

You cannot avoid carrying some things some of the time, unless you are prepared to be uncomfortably cold at other times, or unless you simply get lucky with the weather.

That is quite big difference 8-25 degrees. I would have my softshell for 8 degrees and when it would reach 25 degrees I would take it off, but then to carry it for 20km with me? I am starting to think should I need it at all? Maybe facing some time in cold in the morning but keeping it light? Or better to take it? Just in case? Or I will try to visit store tomorrow and maybe I will find some alternative. Anyways, thanks!
How heavy is the soft shell?
There are other things that you'll be carrying that you won't be using all day, like rain gear.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yes, that is a big range, which is why you need several thin layers rather than one thick one that is either on or off.

As far as I can tell, a "softshell" jacket is a multi-purpose jacket that is not fully waterproof. Maybe it will serve you well, but it is not the layering strategy that many of us use. How much does it weigh? What would you wear to walk in 16C?

You cannot avoid carrying some things some of the time, unless you are prepared to be uncomfortably cold at other times, or unless you simply get lucky with the weather.

It doesn't weight that much actually but it's not like it's super light. I will try to visit some store tomorrow to check out some other lighter jackets maybe. I will pack my things tomorrow and I will see how much space I have left. I am usually cold so maybe better to take something extra for ''just in case'' yet I want to feel comfortable. I will make my choices shortly before departing probably. And will learn from my mistakes, what else I can do.

The question is what will you wear when you are not walking in 8 - 15 degrees C weather. . .
I agree with C Clearly

So a t-shirt for the bottom layer. Your softshell for normal walking over your t-shirt.

If it is cold add a fleece/very light weight down jacket.

For rain, you have to be prepared to carry a waterproof option. Poncho or rain coat and a cover for your pack.

The weather in Spain in spring is unpredictable and you could get quite cold or nice warm weather.

But there are stores all along the camino - if you make a wrong choice, you can mail a coat to the end and pick it up when you get to Santiago or you can buy a missing layer.

Just go, walk and have fun!!!

Kathy

That is 3 light layers, for typical walking when it is not raining. As the day warms up, you take off layers.Then consider what you need for rain - if your layer #3 is waterproof, you don't need a different

I agree with others strategic layering is way to go ....

Ultreia

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Mornings can be quite chilly even in May, by late morning it warms up so layers is the way to go I agree. Last time I had a shell and a light fleece, this time I might be using a light weight down jacket with my shell to cut down on weight.

if it has a full length zip in the front it is handy for the times that it is too cold take off and too hot to leave on.... If it doesn't don't fret about it. It will work out

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
For walking April/May, I had 2 light t shirts, a long sleeve merino wool shirt (light weight), a light fleece shirt, and a rain jacket. There were mornings when I wore all but one of the t shirts. The layers would peel off as the day grew warmer.

I would not bring a soft shell jacket unless I could also wear it in rainy weather.

Whatever you bring, may it serve you well, and Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

I'm going in june and thought about a light fleece instead of a jacket?

I'm going in june and thought about a light fleece instead of a jacket?
A light weight fleece is a good item to have at any time of year. But what was the purpose of the "jacket"? If it is a light weight waterproof for rainy days, then you still need it (unless you have another rain strategy). If it is a multipurpose semi-warm but not waterproof jacket, then I wouldn't take it at any time of year (except maybe in mid-winter). Other layer combinations would be more flexible.

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
Hi everyone. My name is Nika. I plan to take my backpack, and go on Camino in the end of the next week. I still don’t know how will I get from Kyiv to France. And what city should I come to… I...
Good morning, all: I'll be starting my first-ever Camino (and first trip to Europe, actually) in one month. I'd appreciate any and all advice regarding the price(s)/price range for lunches on the...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back