• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

jacket for layering in October

Douglas Simpson

My walk from SJPdP begins late Sept. I am thinking of taking a North Face Thermoball jacket for layering. It weighs less than a fleece! I live in coastal GA where we have very little cold weather and layering is a mystery to me. So this also means that I reach for warmth when the temps drop. I am also taking a lightweight long sleeve Smart Wool "shirt". Thanks everyone.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hola

I had a look at the jacket you mention and as it is a new product, it is difficult to say how it actually will work out.
About layering the basic is that it provides more options to different temperature needs.
You can use the separate items individually, instead of having one item which is really warm and thats it.
The air trapped between the layers is what makes it extra warm due to insulation.
I wouldn't use the Thermoball as an out jacket.
The outer jacket should be a shell. Hard resistance against wind and water.
Second layer is traditionally fleece or this product.
Wool or synthetic as inner layer.

Remember that most importantly when being outside for long hours is to stay dry.
Your body will generate more heat than you need and getting rid of this heat is what one try to find a balance.
To be proper dressed for hiking, one should feel a little cold.
Also, if you have an outer layer with openings under the arm pits, it helps to get rid of the heat and limit your sweat production.

Hope this helps.

Buen Camino.
Lettinggo

My walk from SJPdP begins late Sept. I am thinking of taking a North Face Thermoball jacket for layering. It weighs less than a fleece! I live in coastal GA where we have very little cold weather and layering is a mystery to me. So this also means that I reach for warmth when the temps drop. I am also taking a lightweight long sleeve Smart Wool "shirt". Thanks everyone.

Looks like a good jacket and gets good reviews. I have the Patagonia Nano Puff jacket and also the Montbell thermowrap jacket as comparisons. Not really sure what the weather will turn out to be in Oct. but my concern is that all three of these jackets would be too warm to actually wear while hiking. I hike frequently in windy mtns. and prefer the layering of a synthetic vest , such as the NF Thermoball vest, and then add a windbreaker layer , such as the Patagonia Houdini, as needed. It has to be really cold and blowing before I would be comfortable hiking with a pack in a full jacket especially with the Smartwool base layer you mentioned.
-tzq

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
For all my caminos in late autumn/winter I wear a thin water repellant outer shell similar to what golfers use. This is layered over a short sleeve technical tee shirt topped by a long sleeve technical tee shirt in cold weather. For the rest read my kit list.
Happy packing and Buen Camino.

29To_Fromista2_001.jpg

COLD - Clean Overlapping Layers of Dry clothes.

The concept of layering means to wear clothing that traps air and therefore warmth in the clothing.

You put on and take off layers as needed to attain the sweet spot where you are just about uncomfortable. You don't want to sweat as this violates the 'Dry' and 'Clean' portion because it causes air to be displaced and moisture wicks away heat.

You will generate a lot of heat while walking. The problem of cooling comes when you stop.

I went late October to early December. I normally wore a light cap and 100 weight fleece jacket. On cooler days I draped a light scarf over my shoulders and upper chest under the jacket. Light rag-knit gloves worn as needed. A rain jacket was worn when the wind was cutting through blowing away the trapped air. I carried a 300 weight jacket for use at night. I also carried a toque made of fleece ... which I usually wore at night to cover my bald pate.

You lose most of your heat where there is significant blood flow at the skin surface. Groin, armpits, and head (head accounts for 40% of heat loss). That means if your feet are cold put on a hat.

I used a Patagonia Nano Puff and found it to be perfect. For me, the Nano Puff under a lightweight hard shell jacket was plenty warm on the coldest mornings for my walk from late September to early November last year (temperatures at times in the 20's F. in the mountains before Santiago and occasionally on the Meseta). The Nano Puff covers a very broad temperature range, and I could walk with it when the temperature was in the low 60's F. It compacts much better than polar fleece, it stays warm when wet, and it is lighter than polar fleece. it stuffs into its inner pocket.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We did our walk in Sept/Oct2013. We brought, for the worst possible day (when you wear all you got)..
-two Merino wool Tshirts (1 short, 1 long sleeve)
-an Expedition style Shirt
-a very thin fleece sweat shirt.
-a quality nylon shell.
-(back up plan) silk sleeping bag liner used as a heavy scarf
-Altus Poncho Atmospheric
Truth is... never had to wear it all.
Also, we grew to love our...
Merino wool gloves and buff.
Outdoor Research Seattle Sombrero Hat.
We brought running tights for the cold days. We ended up wearing them every day. Very comfortable.

Last edited:
We brought running tights for the cold days. We ended up wearing them every day. Very comfortable.

Thanks, aname4me, for your input. I have a question about your running tights. I will be walking in September/October. I have a pair of LuluLemon leggings that are 81% Nylon/19% Lycra spandex. Is the composition of my leggings similar to your running tights? Did yours get wet on the trail, and if so, how quickly did they dry? Thanks!

Mary

I did the Portuguese Camino around October last year, as they say above you only really need to 'up' the layers at night.

For walking my very thin-fleece was enough (if it got rainy or windy or cold I could wear my rain jacket over it).

At nights I would wear a cashmere sweater (cashmere is exceedingly light and warm) under the light fleece and that kept me nice and warm. Remember being outdoors all day plus being tired from walking can make you colder at nights than you normally would.

A 'scarf' might be useful too, I have a small licra one (it doubles as a headband).

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks, aname4me, for your input. I have a question about your running tights. I will be walking in September/October. I have a pair of LuluLemon leggings that are 81% Nylon/19% Lycra spandex. Is the composition of my leggings similar to your running tights? Did yours get wet on the trail, and if so, how quickly did they dry? Thanks! Mary

Mary,

I, too, wear runners' tights (see photo above). In fact they are the only long pants I take/wear walking in autumn or winter. One pair for hiking; the other for 'evening wear'. Made of polyester/elastane blend they dry very quickly. Read this description from the Decathlon catalog.

MM

Before I left, I spend many hours on this Forum.
It was mspath that put me onto running tights (Thank You).
I cut the label out of mine but (apparently) they are...
Nike Pro Combat Hyperwarm Men's Tights
92% polyester/8% spandex
It was raining (leaving Burgos) I needed to wear something under my rain pants.
My running tights!
It rained for two days.
I wore the running tights all the way to Santiago.
They are comfy.... rain, shine, cold.

PS....
I saw some men wearing running tights on sunny days with.... nothing else on the bottom.
Not pretty. Wear shorts, please.

Mary,

I, too, wear runners' tights (see photo above). In fact they are the only long pants I take/wear walking in autumn or winter. One pair for hiking; the other for 'evening wear'. Made of polyester/elastane blend they dry very quickly. Read this description from the Decathlon catalog.

MM
Margaret,

Thank you so much for your response. I looked to find something similar in the U.S. and think this might work. The material composition seems similar to yours and the description talks about having a fast-drying exterior. Sounds like a winner to me! I appreciate it.

I directed my sister (who, with her husband, is meeting me in Leon) to this thread earlier specifically to show her the picture of you in your cute yellow jacket. She is looking for a rain jacket for October. We were wondering if your jacket has a lining or if it is a water-repellant windbreaker?

Thanks for all your advice.

Best regards,
Mary

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks, aname4me, for your input. I have a question about your running tights. I will be walking in September/October. I have a pair of LuluLemon leggings that are 81% Nylon/19% Lycra spandex. Is the composition of my leggings similar to your running tights? Did yours get wet on the trail, and if so, how quickly did they dry? Thanks!

Mary

Things drying is a difficult question.

I bought many different men's under wear.
Cotton, quick drying, nylon ..... anything I could find.
None of them ever dried quickly.
My wife's underwear dried much faster, but...
If I was in an accident, and got taken to the Hospital...
I would look funny in woman’s under wear.
Never did find the quick drying masculine kind.

I did see, several times, men walking with underwear safety-pinned to the back pack.

Now... Men's Hankies...
They dry in an hour.

Where do I buy men's underwear made out of men's hankies?

Before I left, I spend many hours on this Forum.
It was mspath that put me onto running tights (Thank You).
PS....
I saw some men wearing running tights on sunny days with.... nothing else on the bottom.
Not pretty. Wear shorts, please.
Aname4me,
Thanks for the info. Since both you and Margaret (mspath) wear tights that are polyester (not nylon, like my LuluLemon yoga leggings), I am going to play it safe and order a pair of polyester tights. I suppose I could make a "test" of my current leggings by dousing myself with a hose and then going walking in them, but (shudder) that somehow doesn't appeal. ;) We'll see, I may yet!

Your PS made me laugh. :)

Have a good one,
Mary

For all my caminos in late autumn/winter I wear a thin water repellant outer shell similar to what golfers use. This is layered over a short sleeve technical tee shirt topped by a long sleeve technical tee shirt in cold weather. For the rest read my kit list.

29To_Fromista2_001.jpg
[I would like to know how you get all that gear into a 30L bag? I read your packing list and I don't have that much stuff and it barely fits into a 38L bag and weighs 18lbs! And I don't even have a sleeping bag, just a liner.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
... We were wondering if your jacket has a lining or if it is a water-repellant windbreaker?

Mary,

No lining. As mentioned above it is a "thin water repellant outer shell similar to what golfers use". Rolls into a pouch. Weighs nothing. Yellow makes it highly visible in bad weather and at dawn/dusk. Side pockets which zip up to close are handy; nothing can fall out by chance. No label or logo unfortunately. In heavy rain or snow storms my poncho goes on top.

Hope you find another good one!

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
Thanks, Margaret. I have a similar jacket, then, which also rolls up into a pocket. I was planning on using it instead of a poncho. I have no real experience walking in the rain, other than having been caught out on short walks of a couple of blocks, which was always kind of fun. I have oh, so much to learn!

Thanks so much!

Mary

I took a couple of good wicking base layer tops to alternate each day, a lightweight fleece, a Rab down vest and a waterproof shell jacket. Worked very well as a layering system for October. The down particularly as it still holds heat if damp.

Even on cold early morning starts after an hour or so, assuming it was dry, I was down to the base layer.

What always gets me is stops. I get cold quick when I stop. The down vest was perfect for this, I could ball it up in the top of my pack ready, it was breathable and it coped with sweat.

You lose most of your heat where there is significant blood flow at the skin surface. Groin, armpits, and head (head accounts for 40% of heat loss). That means if your feet are cold put on a hat.

Particularly in the mountains where air is cold AND dry one of the biggest sources of heat loss is just breathing. Each breath takes warmth and moisture (evaporation = heat loss). We need to learn to hold our breath when crossing over the Cruz de Ferro :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Particularly in the mountains where air is cold AND dry one of the biggest sources of heat loss is just breathing. Each breath takes warmth and moisture (evaporation = heat loss). We need to learn to hold our breath when crossing over the Cruz de Ferro :)

Yeah, wear a rubber mask equipped with a Maxwell's demon device that directs the heat from exhaling back into your clothes.

Mary,

No lining. As mentioned above it is a "thin water repellant outer shell similar to what golfers use". Rolls into a pouch. Weighs nothing. Yellow makes it highly visible in bad weather and at dawn/dusk. Side pockets which zip up to close are handy; nothing can fall out by chance. No label or logo unfortunately. In heavy rain or snow storms my poncho goes on top.

Margaret Meredith
Margaret your info is always so helpful...looks like I shall seek this little jacket...I had thought that the poncho would suffice but can now imagine times when a little jacket like this would be a great item to have.
Thanks Douglas

Thanks Margaret for your kit list and all the wonderfully useful information. Are you planning to walk this year? Maybe we will see you, my husband and I start walking on 10 Sept and have until 30 October.
Lesley[/QUOTE]

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Lesley,

I'm glad that you found the info useful. I hope to walk the CF again this late autumn/early winter; my kit is already to go!

Buen Camino to you both,

Margaret Meredith

Yeah, wear a rubber mask equipped with a Maxwell's demon device that directs the heat from exhaling back into your clothes.

I do a lot of scuba diving and use a device called a rebreather, basically a fancy bag that you breathe in and out of with a chemical to remove the CO2. Years ago they trialled them on Everest for high altitude mountaineering. One of the big benefits is that you don't lose heat from your lungs plus the chemical reaction generates additional heat. It really is noticeable in cold water, you stay a LOT warmer.

HPIM0865.jpg

I do a lot of scuba diving and use a device called a rebreather, basically a fancy bag that you breathe in and out of with a chemical to remove the CO2. Years ago they trialled them on Everest for high altitude mountaineering. One of the big benefits is that you don't lose heat from your lungs plus the chemical reaction generates additional heat. It really is noticeable in cold water, you stay a LOT warmer.

You're gonna look silly wearing scuba gear or high altitude mountaineering breathing gear whilst on the camino.

When you consider how most of us on the camino look like an unmade bed or a refugee from an expensive golf course ... that's saying something.

Just saying.

€46,-
You're gonna look silly wearing scuba gear or high altitude mountaineering breathing gear whilst on the camino.

When you consider how most of us on the camino look like an unmade bed or a refugee from an expensive golf course ... that's saying something.

Just saying.
Mary,

Margaret Meredith
Thanks Margaret for your suggestions. We had bought a few things for training from a local store, but travelled for 3 hours to do some training and buying from several big camping/hiking stores last week. I saw your photo and hadn't considered wearing tights. I told my husband about your "list" and we decided to try on some compression tights. We had quite a giggle when we saw each other in them! Hubby did buy tights as well as 2 pairs of shorts to wear over the top as someone else mentioned this, but after 44 years of marriage he still thought my legs looked good and wouldn't hear of me buying shorts!!! I hadn't considered the fact that the Camino could become a second honeymoon. Our son said he hadn't laughed so much for years when we sent him a photo of his parents in tights. We also got the lighter type jackets to go with our Altus. They didn't have yellow so I bought a light blue. We think we have everything we need so we are about to do a few full dress rehearsals. Thanks again for your helpful list and tips.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I don't leave home for anywhere without my OR down sweater. It has a hood and doubles as a pillow.
The good news is the Thermobell is synthetic. If it gets wet, it may continue to provide warmth and dry quickly. The bad news is it does not hold it's loft as well as down (the same is true of sleeping bags Synthetic vs down). That just means it will lose it's R rating as time goes on. It is wise to bring a lightweight warmy.

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
Hi everyone. My name is Nika. I plan to take my backpack, and go on Camino in the end of the next week. I still don’t know how will I get from Kyiv to France. And what city should I come to… I...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...
Good morning, all: I'll be starting my first-ever Camino (and first trip to Europe, actually) in one month. I'd appreciate any and all advice regarding the price(s)/price range for lunches on the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back